GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: tgb on May 28, 2013, 06:57:18 PM

Title: Chaos Overlords
Post by: tgb on May 28, 2013, 06:57:18 PM
It's now on GOG for $6.  One of the best board/strategy PC games of the 90's, and it's only $6.  Do yourselves a favor and grab a copy.

Title: Re: Chaos Overlords
Post by: Staggerwing on May 28, 2013, 07:20:27 PM
lazy Link: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/chaos_overlords

QuoteMore than 70 unique gangs, such as the Disgruntled Postal Workers, Renegade Nuns, or the Bankers.
???
Title: Re: Chaos Overlords
Post by: Nefaro on May 28, 2013, 09:39:46 PM
Never played.

But I like the premise, "cyberpunk" setting, and boardgame feel.  Looks fun. 

It's now on my wishlist at GOG.  ;D
Title: Re: Chaos Overlords
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 28, 2013, 10:49:40 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 28, 2013, 09:39:46 PM
Never played.

But I like the premise, "cyberpunk" setting, and boardgame feel.  Looks fun. 

It's now on my wishlist at GOG.  ;D

Just curious, but why would anything that is $6 have to be on a wish list? Just get it!
Title: Re: Chaos Overlords
Post by: Tpek on May 29, 2013, 09:23:45 AM
I remember playing this one years ago.
And was honestly wondering when it would finally show up there.
Title: Re: Chaos Overlords
Post by: tgb on May 29, 2013, 09:47:23 AM
Well, crap.  Apparently it doesn't play nice with Windows 8, and all GOG has to say is that 8 isn't supported.
Title: Re: Chaos Overlords
Post by: Nefaro on May 29, 2013, 01:01:42 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 28, 2013, 10:49:40 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 28, 2013, 09:39:46 PM
Never played.

But I like the premise, "cyberpunk" setting, and boardgame feel.  Looks fun. 

It's now on my wishlist at GOG.  ;D

Just curious, but why would anything that is $6 have to be on a wish list? Just get it!

LOL yeah.

Well... because if I bought it then the six other games I've recently purchased, but haven't really played, will get overlooked and never be heard from again.

There is still another one or two I wanna pick up in the next couple weeks too.  :-\  I never thought I'd be this overloaded with goodies.
Title: Re: Chaos Overlords
Post by: Nefaro on May 30, 2013, 08:30:41 PM
Well.. I picked it up as something boardgame-ish to play on the notebook.

And it freezes when I start it up.  There's a couple other people who've had the same issue.   

It may be a bust for my intended purpose.  :'(
Title: Re: Chaos Overlords
Post by: airboy on June 04, 2013, 05:30:05 PM
Has anyone else tried this?  I like the concept and turn based strategy games in general.

I would like it if anyone could give a report who has played on a Windows 7 machine.
Title: Re: Chaos Overlords
Post by: Nefaro on June 04, 2013, 06:04:53 PM
Quote from: airboy on June 04, 2013, 05:30:05 PM
Has anyone else tried this?  I like the concept and turn based strategy games in general.

I would like it if anyone could give a report who has played on a Windows 7 machine.

It works fine on my desktop Win7 machine.   For some reason it doesn't work on my Win7 laptop. 

Someone on the GOG forum suggested I turn off my Logitech mouse software running in the background, as that helped them get through the initial game start lockup.  Someone else said that didn't help.  Evidentally it can be a bit picky about what extra programs are running in Windows.   I'll test the Logitech software theory out on my notebook sometime and report back.

From the little I've played of it on the desktop, it definitely plays like a tabletop game.  You pretty much spend each turn hiring more gang(s) and giving orders to currently employed ones (move, influence, riot for financial gain, etc) in order to reach whatever victory goals are set in the specific scenario.  There's an 8x8 'city' grid and each has 3 different locations which will give you some combination of gang stat bonuses, reduced purchase costs, income/upkeep, research points, etc.  You research new equipment that you can buy & equip on your gangs (who have quite a few different possible stats thus making some specialized).

It's pretty minimalistic on looks, and the interface isn't terribly fancy.  I picked it up because it's somewhat tabletop-ish turn-based strategy and especially for the vaguely cyberpunk setting.  Unfortunately for Chaos Overlords, I've also just picked up Wizardy 6, 7, and 8 from GOG too, so it probably won't get long stretches of gameplay out of me like the others.