GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Sir Slash on May 30, 2013, 10:58:51 AM

Title: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Sir Slash on May 30, 2013, 10:58:51 AM
Anybody heard anything good or bad about this new indie RPG-conquest game just posted at GOG.com? I hope it's not a winner because I can't keep-up with new games I got now.
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: eyebiter on May 30, 2013, 11:51:39 AM
After reading this review, I'd buy it

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/168375-expeditions-conquistador/
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Tpek on May 30, 2013, 12:16:47 PM
I missed its kickstarter back in its time.
I bought it but have yet to find time to test it out (sorry, Marvel Heroes is taking all my current precious little free time).
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: FarAway Sooner on May 30, 2013, 01:15:26 PM
This does look intriguing.  I wish I had the time to play half the games I want to that are coming out these days.
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: steve58 on May 30, 2013, 01:31:06 PM
I was intrigued enough when I saw it this morning (on GoG and Gamersgate) that I went hunting for some gameplay videos.  I will likely pick this one up, but down the road a bit after I've gone through many/several/some of the games from my backlog...

Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: TheCommandTent on May 30, 2013, 01:31:35 PM
This looks very interesting.  Hope someone else has played it so I don't have to buy it blind :)
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: tgb on May 30, 2013, 01:37:12 PM
I bit.

I guess you could call this a tactical, historic RPG/resource management game.  You start by creating your conquistador "hero", assigning points to diplomacy, tactical ability, command ability etc.  You then recruit a party of 10 made up of classes like soldiers, doctors, scholars, scouts etc.  Each is rated for ranged and melee combat and come with three traits such as greedy, racist, pious, and so forth.  Morale is important in combat, and is affected by how a character with a particular trait reacts to your in-game decisions.

Every day your party starts with so many movement points, and when they are gone you have to camp for the night.  While camping you assign party members jobs such as patrolling, foraging for food (you have to keep everyone fed) or crafting traps to be used in combat. Party members level up, and every so often get a Fallout-style perk.

Littered throughout the map and villages are "events", which are encounters with NPC's.  They are all text based, and can lead to combat, result in a quest, or affect members of your party in some fashion.

I played the tutorial and started the first real quest. Combat is tactical, with attacks of opportunity, flanking bonuses, and terrain effects, along with the ability to craft and set traps beforehand. Overland travel is challenging as well, as you never seem to find enough rations or meat. In short, it's unforgiving and quite tough on Normal, which many here will appreciate. Me, I'm thinking about restarting on "Easy".

It's nice to have a party-based, turn-based RPG without orcs, elves, and dwarves for a change. My only concern is that I don't think maps are randomized, which will limit replayability.

Be sure not to miss the in-game Codex. You get an entry every time you encounter something actually historical.
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Sir Slash on May 30, 2013, 02:58:58 PM
Damn. I was afraid it was gonna be good. Doesn't anybody make crappy games anymore?
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Grim.Reaper on May 30, 2013, 06:48:21 PM
I caved and bought it, but from greenmangaming which is a steam code...currently 10% off, then use this coupon for another 20% off, to get for roughly $14.  I know some would still prefer GOG because of no DRM, but thought I would mention.

link to page with 20% off code.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/hot-deals/

Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: panzerde on May 30, 2013, 06:49:13 PM
Welp, looks like another $20 sacrificed on the altar of "shiny!!"
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Nefaro on May 30, 2013, 07:02:47 PM
Quote from: tgb on May 30, 2013, 01:37:12 PM
My only concern is that I don't think maps are randomized, which will limit replayability.


That's the only thing that makes me want to hold off on purchasing until I get some time to check it out. 

I'm not all that into heavily scripted & restrictive strategy games, but the rest of it looks okay.
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Gusington on May 30, 2013, 07:04:02 PM
Damn you...damn all of you.
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: tgb on May 30, 2013, 07:44:48 PM
One other thing I really like is the conversations that take place between your character and party members when you camp.  Very reminiscent of Dragon Age. (Sorry, Gus)
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Sir Slash on May 30, 2013, 09:46:51 PM
Sorry to upset you Gus. It's probably not as good as it looks, and sounds, and has been raved reviewed. And at $17 for 25 hours of thrilling gameplay, who do those 6 guys who made this think we are? And who knew Hispaniola had so many resources just laying around waiting to be picked-up? And beautiful, crazed cultists, native girls? I gotta talk to my travel agent. ;D
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Arctic Blast on May 31, 2013, 12:20:07 AM
Bought it. Downloading it. May play it a bit this weekend.  :D
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: bayonetbrant on May 31, 2013, 05:25:20 AM
OK, so now that 5-6 of you have taken the plunge on this, who's going to write the review for us?!
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Gusington on May 31, 2013, 06:45:52 AM
Crazed cultist girls?? Will the wonders never cease in this game?
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: JasonPratt on May 31, 2013, 06:12:37 PM
Quickly put this on my wishlist after first seeing it had been released; will follow impressions on this thread with interest!
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Arctic Blast on June 02, 2013, 01:13:48 AM
Played this for a bit tonight. Definitely some interesting ideas. But man, you REALLY need to keep track of every rating and piece of gear you've given to every person you have.

Also, combat is NASTY. Angry natives will mess you up in a hurry even if you're trying to use cover and the like.
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Huw the Poo on June 02, 2013, 02:06:50 AM
This is also available for Linux and Mac.
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Sir Slash on June 03, 2013, 09:48:13 AM
At rpgwatch.com there are  links to 2 reviews. Both very positive( 4/5 & 4.5/5). Though the dreaded word "bugs" has appeared.
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Sir Slash on June 03, 2013, 09:56:23 AM
And it's now available at Steamworks. Same price.
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 03, 2013, 10:38:35 AM
I bought it and fiddled with the tutorials a bit last night but I was pretty tired and on my 3rd beer so concentrating on the info in the walls of text wasn't going well.
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: JasonPratt on June 03, 2013, 08:43:06 PM
Well, there are a lot of bugs in the South/Meso-American jungles...
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Sir Slash on June 03, 2013, 10:05:33 PM
If somebody's able to conquer the whole Inca Empire with just 6 guys, I'm gonna be impressed. I like the cute little girls in the Conquestador helmets though.
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Gusington on June 04, 2013, 08:11:03 AM
Yeah what's that about?
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Nefaro on June 04, 2013, 10:38:42 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on June 03, 2013, 10:05:33 PM
If somebody's able to conquer the whole Inca Empire with just 6 guys, I'm gonna be impressed. I like the cute little girls in the Conquestador helmets though.

Ah yes.   The Art of, "Let's you and him fight."  ;)
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: JasonPratt on June 04, 2013, 02:26:43 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on June 03, 2013, 10:05:33 PM
If somebody's able to conquer the whole Inca Empire with just 6 guys, I'm gonna be impressed.

So, kind of like real life, then. ;)
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: fran on June 15, 2013, 10:43:15 AM
Review of Expeditions Conquistador at RPS

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/14/wot-i-think-expeditions-conquistador/

Interesting

$19.99 DRM free at GOG

or

17.99 GBP = $28.2560 at Steam 

must be all that Steam Achievements you can earn  ;)
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Sir Slash on June 15, 2013, 11:20:54 PM
I don't know if the reviewer likes the game or doesn't like the game or doesn't like himself for liking the game.
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 15, 2013, 11:46:55 PM
I've played to the point where I've finished all the missions on Hispaniola and moved on to the mainland. 

It's a decent enough game but it does become a little repetative.  The game it most reminds me of is an old, old Apple II+ game called Expedition: Amazon.  That one was set in modern day but the play styles are similar in that the game can kill you if you have bad luck and get a series of bad andom encounters/incidents in a row.  That's what happened to me on my first attempt to play.  I was given a mission with a time limit when I was on the opposite side of the map and my doctor was knocked out by a poison spider bite.  Then I got ambushed by pissed off Indians and my scouts went down.  As my doctor was out of the picture, I couldn't heal the scouts which meant that I wasn't able to hunt for food or guard my camp so as I tried to make my way across the map, I ran out of food and my camp was constantly getting raided by theives in the night or attacked.

I'm enjoying it enough to keep coming back to it but I hope it finally lets me off the leash of scripted missions and just lets me explore.
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Nefaro on June 16, 2013, 08:57:38 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 15, 2013, 11:46:55 PM


I'm enjoying it enough to keep coming back to it but I hope it finally lets me off the leash of scripted missions and just lets me explore.

I had hoped that it was a pretty open game, but sounds as if it's a lot of nose-leading via scripting.  So I haven't grabbed it.
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 16, 2013, 10:03:33 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 16, 2013, 08:57:38 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 15, 2013, 11:46:55 PM


I'm enjoying it enough to keep coming back to it but I hope it finally lets me off the leash of scripted missions and just lets me explore.

I had hoped that it was a pretty open game, but sounds as if it's a lot of nose-leading via scripting.  So I haven't grabbed it.

It's not too bad.  There are a few time critical missions that pop up but they aren't thrown at you constantly.  The thing is that they do throw scripted missions at you at random times and it can get a bit frustrating if, say, you've spent the last 10 days of game time travelling deep into the jungle and just about to get to a spot that you think might hold something interesting to discover and the game will pop up and throw some stupid random mission at you that requires you to backtrack all the way to the main village.  They always seem to pop up at the most inconvenient times.
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Gusington on June 17, 2013, 07:31:01 AM
Maybe that is intended to simulate dysentery. If the game does eventually open up that will make me get it quicker.
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: steve58 on May 27, 2014, 12:44:53 PM
An editor for Expeditions: Conquistador has been released.

Quote
Logic Artists is now offering the Fabula Event Editor for Expeditions: Conquistador, allowing owners of this strategy/RPG to create their own new scenarios. This a free download for Windows, Linux, and OS X offered through Steam. Word is: "With this XML editor, players can change existing content or generate completely new events. Players can change quests and rewards or write their own narration. With these tools, they can modify the original campaigns to their own tastes and share them with their friends."

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/151849/expeditions-conquistador-editor-released

...and its currently $5 on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/237430/).  It might be finally time for me to pick up this one.
Title: Re: New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador
Post by: Boggit on June 01, 2014, 08:57:58 PM
I bought it the other day on 24hour sale at Gamersgate at 75% off. Haven't played it yet - too much other stuff I should be looking at for articles, but it had a lot of good feedback.