GrogHeads Forum

Tabletop Gaming, Models, and Minis => Wargaming => Topic started by: bayonetbrant on June 07, 2013, 07:38:33 AM

Title: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 07, 2013, 07:38:33 AM
flip out!

http://online.flipbuilder.com/khkn/nurc/#p=1
Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 07, 2013, 07:43:49 PM
Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately I couldn't "zoom in" to read it properly.

I picked up a  couple of things from the TAL Review....but couldn't read it specifically to address the "issues" he may have raised.

I do know I have played TAL a couple of times and look forward to playing more of it. Like I said - I can't read the writing in the pdf...so can't give any credibility to his mention/review of it...though he is likely a prominent gamer/reviewer I didn't see too many hang ups with the board game


Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: Ubercat on June 07, 2013, 08:20:19 PM
If you're using Windows there should be a magnifier tool under the Start Menu that will do the trick. It may take a bit of fiddling to figure out how best to use it. Worked for me.
Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: Staggerwing on June 07, 2013, 08:58:47 PM
That review was a bit tough to read, even with the magnifying tool, due to the author's awkward writing style. It seems to be a 'Bablefish' version of something that was originally printed in a non-English language.

Is the magazine itself also available as a pdf or some other accessible method? I'd like to read more of it but the need for a magnifying glass makes it frustrating. Also, when zoomed in, the text becomes pixilated, adding to the annoyance.
Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 07, 2013, 09:24:37 PM
it's a print-only magazine, and the online preview is just for lathering up the audience.
Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: Arctic Blast on June 08, 2013, 01:39:22 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 07, 2013, 07:43:49 PM
Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately I couldn't "zoom in" to read it properly.

I picked up a  couple of things from the TAL Review....but couldn't read it specifically to address the "issues" he may have raised.

I do know I have played TAL a couple of times and look forward to playing more of it. Like I said - I can't read the writing in the pdf...so can't give any credibility to his mention/review of it...though he is likely a prominent gamer/reviewer I didn't see too many hang ups with the board game

His Cons :

-The board is weird. (This is an exact quote. I have no idea in what context he means this)
-Target counters are awful and bland.
-Everything is desert color scheme.
-Pilot card graphics are boring. Pilots are all dull and boring and you end up with a squad of average guys lacking personality. Then later on, he says that the original game had pilots he cared about more because their helmets looked different. Therefore, he could relate to them better. I couldn't make up something this stupid if I tried.
-Weapons do not feel right, with no real profile of their own. They're just Range and Hit numbers. He then rambles about how there aren't multiple variant TOW missiles, and claims that they have a harder time killing tanks than other non AT-specialized weapons (I have no idea if he's right or not, someone who has actually pulled their copy off the shelf and played it will have to answer that).
-The game box talks about close air support, but there are no friendly units.

Totally agree with Stagger...this is just weirdly written. "Once you have selected planes and pilots, you start the intervention in a far away badland." Who writes like that?! Robots?! And then there's his conclusion. I'll rewrite it here verbatim.

QuoteConsidering its illustrious ancestor TAL is certainly my greatest disappointment of the year. It has a good basic engine, but the implementation is a joke. I will be blunt, but I expected a designer to be able to do proper research, especially if he put this sentence in the product description: "This game is perfect for both expert level military gamers."

???

GAH! That wasn't it! There's another page!

"I think that TAL is the perfect example of why you do not need to heed to these sirens." This is his blathering bit of nonsense attacking those who suggest simplicity in wargames might be a good thing. Or it's a garbled order for pancakes. I don't really know.

He then goes on to talk about how maybe these calls for simplicity and abstraction should be ignored...except when they shouldn't be ignored...and that you need details...but you need a limit on details. Either this is the worst translation effort of all time, or this review was put together by a Speak & Spell that has achieved sentience.
Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 08, 2013, 06:52:56 AM
about half of Battles! writers' are on the continent - France, Germany, Italy - and the translations aren't always great, but honestly I find it part of the charm of the magazine.  There are also times when the Brits/Scots read like a bad translation, too ;)

One thing you can't deny is that the graphics are fucking kick-ass awesome with a side of "hell yeah!"
Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: Staggerwing on June 08, 2013, 07:36:28 AM
I found the website: http://www.battlesmagazine.com/eshop/index.php

Wow! That magazine ain't cheap! 100 Euros (inc. shipping to US) for 4 issues!  :o That's about $132 US right now.
Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: GJK on June 08, 2013, 09:28:44 AM
I believe that they come with magazine games as well for that price.  However, I don't know of any of their games that got just exceptional reviews.
Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 08, 2013, 09:53:02 AM
every issue comes with a game, and subscriptions come with a bonus game, too.  Some of them are quite good - Hue and Arras come immediately to mind - and some are OK.

I quite enjoyed Night Drop, too, which was one of the bonus games. 

But above all else, the images, graphics, photos, and layouts are just pure wargaming pr0n.  It's a beautiful magazine.
Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: bob48 on June 08, 2013, 09:55:52 AM
It does look like nice stuff. I know they do a Dien Bien Phu game that I've been considering buying.

Edited for bad memory - The one I'm thinking of is in the 'Against the Odds' mag, so, as you were.
Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: Staggerwing on June 08, 2013, 10:02:49 AM
Is that web issue indicative of how many articles each issue sports? With only 4 issues I'd need a lot of content to reach for my wallet. The games do help. I thought about ordering a back issue to try but even that would run about $60 w/ shipping.
Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: bayonetbrant on June 08, 2013, 12:14:43 PM
the mages run 140+ pages and a good 14-20 articles in each, plus other stuff
Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Online Magazine
Post by: kellycalark on December 30, 2013, 01:29:17 AM
Goodbye lame spammer. Your kind ain't tolerated in these parts.
Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: bickford on January 11, 2014, 11:08:48 PM
Understand you are proud of your contributions to that magazine yet they crap all over you and the other former/current military designers (Danny Holte etc..) on their secret Perfidious Albion yahoo group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/perfidiousalbion/info
Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: bayonetbrant on January 12, 2014, 07:56:43 AM
it would be interesting to see what they are saying, but I'm sure I've had worse things said about me over the years :)
Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: Staggerwing on January 12, 2014, 09:17:37 AM
Quote from: bickford on January 11, 2014, 11:08:48 PM
Understand you are proud of your contributions to that magazine yet they crap all over you and the other former/current military designers (Danny Holte etc..) on their secret Perfidious Albion yahoo group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/perfidiousalbion/info

from the group description:
QuoteWe always welcome discussion of designers' personal lives and do not welcome being told what we cannot discuss

Sounds like a girls' locker room but at least they're upfront about it
Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: bayonetbrant on December 18, 2014, 04:53:21 PM
BATTLES! #9 for free!

http://www.battlesmagazine.com/eshop/retro/handicap/index9.php

Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: bayonetbrant on February 19, 2015, 04:14:45 PM
OK, they're not dead yet - #10 coming next month

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.mailinblue.com%2F13641%2Fimages%2F54e631d87d79a.jpg&hash=fae0dbc98b5c6df808116f02349a468f0f7d5fed)
Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: Toonces on February 20, 2015, 07:30:49 PM
Stoked!  I just grabbed a ziploc copy of A Week in Hell so I don't have to wait for Brant to sell me his copy anymore!   ^-^
Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: GJK on February 20, 2015, 10:34:56 PM
Quote from: Toonces on February 20, 2015, 07:30:49 PM
Stoked!  I just grabbed a ziploc copy of A Week in Hell so I don't have to wait for Brant to sell me his copy anymore!   ^-^

I'm enjoying Phantom Fury at the moment, sister game to A Week in Hell.  I might have to pick up a copy of that one as well.
Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: Toonces on February 20, 2015, 10:46:00 PM
It's the same system, so if you like PF you should like AWiH.  It was out of print for quite a while; I couldn't find a copy used on BBG nor ebay.  So I recommend grabbing one asap if you're thinking of it.  It was just under 20 clams shipped.  Good deal if you ask me!  And the magazine is now a free pdf...    :)
Title: Re: Preview of new issue of Battles! Magazine
Post by: Toonces on March 26, 2015, 01:29:44 AM
Got my copy of A Week in Hell a few days ago.  Boy, it comes in a really small baggie; like sandwich sized.  Very low counter-count, though.  It had a full, color copy of the rules included, though, which I wasn't expecting.

Overall pleased with the purchase!