GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: mikeck on June 10, 2013, 04:41:16 PM

Title: Scourge of War: Cavalry maelstrom!!
Post by: mikeck on June 10, 2013, 04:41:16 PM
http://matrixgames.com/news/1108/Scourge.of.War.the.charge.for.Brandy.Station!

Matrix has announced that the next expansion is "Brandy Station"...the largest cavalry battle of the war. I'm not really impressed with how cavalry is handled in this game generally. I have always had a hard time keeping my guys stationary and dismounted. They always mount and ride off...cowards!

Anyway, hoping for some improvements in this area with the release. If course, any improvement could have a huge impact on the Napoleon Mod crowd as it relied heavily on cavalry (as I understand)
Title: Re: Scourge of War: Cavalry maelstrom!!
Post by: TheCommandTent on June 10, 2013, 06:25:04 PM
Certainly looks interesting.  I agree that cavalry can require a bit of micro managing in other SoW games and forget about leaving it to the AI.
Title: Re: Scourge of War: Cavalry maelstrom!!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 10, 2013, 07:28:44 PM
Likely a buy for me....doesn't have a concrete release date yet, but in the official forums seems like they are talking weeks, not months.
Title: Re: Scourge of War: Cavalry maelstrom!!
Post by: RooksBailey on June 10, 2013, 09:16:48 PM
Great! Must buy for me!  In fact, I was just thinking about getting the Pipe Creek expansion. 
Title: Re: Scourge of War: Cavalry maelstrom!!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 21, 2013, 07:41:37 PM
For those that don't own any of the series and wants the complete bundle...looks like your wish coming true...150th anniversary edition will contain all available content.  No price or release info yet.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/501/details/Scourge.of.War.Gettysburg.150th.Anniversary.Collection
Title: Re: Scourge of War: Cavalry maelstrom!!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 26, 2013, 06:08:15 PM
Brandy station and 150th version released today...kind of a quiet launch at matrix...also new patch released.
Title: Re: Scourge of War: Cavalry maelstrom!!
Post by: mikeck on June 26, 2013, 07:05:42 PM
Wow...this and the Endless Apace expansion on the same day. And just when I was in a gaming slump!
Title: Re: Scourge of War: Cavalry maelstrom!!
Post by: Kushan on June 28, 2013, 07:45:46 AM
Whats everyone's opinion of the Scourge of War games?

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 21, 2013, 07:41:37 PM
For those that don't own any of the series and wants the complete bundle...looks like your wish coming true...150th anniversary edition will contain all available content.  No price or release info yet.

Looks like its available now, 79.99 for digital download, 89.99 for box copy + download. Bit steep for a series I've never played. Does it matter what game in the series you start with? Has any engine / gameplay improvements been patched into the older games?
Title: Re: Scourge of War: Cavalry maelstrom!!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 28, 2013, 07:55:39 AM
Quote from: Kushan on June 28, 2013, 07:45:46 AM
Whats everyone's opinion of the Scourge of War games?

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 21, 2013, 07:41:37 PM
For those that don't own any of the series and wants the complete bundle...looks like your wish coming true...150th anniversary edition will contain all available content.  No price or release info yet.

Looks like its available now, 79.99 for digital download, 89.99 for box copy + download. Bit steep for a series I've never played. Does it matter what game in the series you start with? Has any engine / gameplay improvements been patched into the older games?

Gettysburg and Chancellorsville are stand-alone products....all the other are expansion packs to the base Gettysburg game and require it to play.  The latest patch is 1.61 and applied across all new/old items.  Although if my memory serves me correct, the maps themselves have gotten better with each expansion and not sure those improvements were made to pre-existing items.  I would recommend starting with Gettysburg, but really totally up to you whether you like Chancellorsville better.  You get a lot of stuff with that bundle so if you don't own any of the games, I would highly recommend it.  The 150th edition contains a ton of the user made mods and some special sprites that you wouldn't get by downloading the individual games.  Also, by buying all of them in 150th edition, you would roughly save $20 over buying them individually.

To me, if you enjoy Civil War battles, this game is a must have....but no reason to take my word, download the demo below and give it a shot (likely does not include all the latest patches though).

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/game/download-game-mainmenu-69/36-sowgb-demo
Title: Re: Scourge of War: Cavalry maelstrom!!
Post by: Kushan on June 28, 2013, 05:38:44 PM
Thanks Grim. How is the AI?
Title: Re: Scourge of War: Cavalry maelstrom!!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 28, 2013, 05:49:42 PM
Quote from: Kushan on June 28, 2013, 05:38:44 PM
Thanks Grim. How is the AI?

Beats me all the time... But I am also not the greatest general:). Give the demo a try.
Title: Re: Scourge of War: Cavalry maelstrom!!
Post by: Kushan on June 28, 2013, 05:53:37 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 28, 2013, 05:49:42 PM
Quote from: Kushan on June 28, 2013, 05:38:44 PM
Thanks Grim. How is the AI?

Beats me all the time... But I am also not the greatest general:). Give the demo a try.

Downloading now. Will be giving it a try when I get home from dinner.
Title: Re: Scourge of War: Cavalry maelstrom!!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 28, 2013, 05:55:08 PM
Quote from: Kushan on June 28, 2013, 05:53:37 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 28, 2013, 05:49:42 PM
Quote from: Kushan on June 28, 2013, 05:38:44 PM
Thanks Grim. How is the AI?

Beats me all the time... But I am also not the greatest general:). Give the demo a try.

Downloading now. Will be giving it a try when I get home from dinner.

Great... interested in what u think
Title: Re: Scourge of War: Cavalry maelstrom!!
Post by: mikeck on June 28, 2013, 06:08:27 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 28, 2013, 05:49:42 PM
Quote from: Kushan on June 28, 2013, 05:38:44 PM
Thanks Grim. How is the AI?

Beats me all the time... But I am also not the greatest general:). Give the demo a try.

I have never won a sandbox battle commanding a corp or army...AI is good