GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: RooksBailey on June 10, 2013, 09:27:12 PM

Title: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on June 10, 2013, 09:27:12 PM
I have to say that I think the Battlefield 4 MP reveal has been upstaged by this shooter:

Trailer:


Gameplay demo:


The only thing that concerns me is that this is going to be a strictly MP game.  The problem with that, especially for a new franchise, is that if the MP community doesn't develop, the game will be dead in six months.  Gutsy move to make this only MP without also being F2P.  Someone must be confident. 

Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: Arctic Blast on June 10, 2013, 10:05:57 PM
I dunno. You know what you're getting with Battlefield. This...who knows? The only new part of the game is the mechs, and with a limit of 2-3 per side, they'll just become bullet sponges. It could be good, but I need to be convinced before buying.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: TheCommandTent on June 10, 2013, 10:39:48 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on June 10, 2013, 10:05:57 PM
I dunno. You know what you're getting with Battlefield. This...who knows? The only new part of the game is the mechs, and with a limit of 2-3 per side, they'll just become bullet sponges. It could be good, but I need to be convinced before buying.

Agreed, although it does look really cool.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on June 11, 2013, 12:13:07 AM
I am curious about the mechs.  If they are limited to just 2-3 on a side, then that would sort of kill the whole point of mech-based gameplay.  However, I suspect that mechs are going to work like killstreaks in CoD.  In other words, when you rack up X points, you'll be able to call down a mech.  If it works like that, this game could be awesome.  :)
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: Rekim on June 11, 2013, 08:17:59 AM
Quote from: RooksBailey on June 11, 2013, 12:13:07 AM
I am curious about the mechs.  If they are limited to just 2-3 on a side, then that would sort of kill the whole point of mech-based gameplay.  However, I suspect that mechs are going to work like killstreaks in CoD.  In other words, when you rack up X points, you'll be able to call down a mech.  If it works like that, this game could be awesome.  :)

That is the way titans worked in UT3, and they turned out to be a fun addition.

Surprising there isn't a hint of UT4 after all these years (UT3 released in 2007).
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: Arctic Blast on June 11, 2013, 08:22:56 PM
I am hopeful that it turns out to be a good game. I just need to see some more selling points, because right now it looks like just another Capture Point shooter with mechs bolted on. It needs to have more than robots to bring in players.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on June 20, 2013, 08:30:13 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on June 11, 2013, 08:22:56 PMIt needs to have more than robots to bring in players.

Mechs!  Meks!  Mechas!  Not "robots"!   Sorry, pet peeve of mine.    :D  It is starting to drive me crazy how everyone is referring to the meks in Pacific Rim as "robots".  Even Del Torro has started doing it!  It offends my geek sensibilities.   ;D

Here is a behind the scenes vid on the making of TitanFall.  Still looking really good. 



It looks like Hawken's version of fast moving mechs are starting to gain in popularity.  That could cause an ugly geek war with the Mechwarrior crowd.   ;)
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on August 21, 2013, 12:06:56 AM
Demo from GamesCom:



Still looking really good! But, again, if this game gets swallowed up by the BF4/COD hype and fails to develop a MP community, it will be all for naught.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: Gusington on August 21, 2013, 07:03:07 AM
I so wish it had a SP component.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: Arctic Blast on August 21, 2013, 09:32:08 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 21, 2013, 07:03:07 AM
I so wish it had a SP component.

I'm glad that it doesn't.

Want to focus on a SP game? Cool. Don't toss in a half baked MP portion that even you as a dev don't want.
Want to focus on an MP game? Cool. Don't waste time on a half baked 'campaign' that will interest nobody.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 21, 2013, 10:02:46 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 21, 2013, 09:32:08 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 21, 2013, 07:03:07 AM
I so wish it had a SP component.

I'm glad that it doesn't.

Want to focus on a SP game? Cool. Don't toss in a half baked MP portion that even you as a dev don't want.
Want to focus on an MP game? Cool. Don't waste time on a half baked 'campaign' that will interest nobody.

Or, option three. Make a game with a strong SP campaign, and a fully featured MP suite that will interest EVERYBODY.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: Arctic Blast on August 21, 2013, 10:44:13 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 21, 2013, 10:02:46 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 21, 2013, 09:32:08 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 21, 2013, 07:03:07 AM
I so wish it had a SP component.

I'm glad that it doesn't.

Want to focus on a SP game? Cool. Don't toss in a half baked MP portion that even you as a dev don't want.
Want to focus on an MP game? Cool. Don't waste time on a half baked 'campaign' that will interest nobody.

Or, option three. Make a game with a strong SP campaign, and a fully featured MP suite that will interest EVERYBODY.

Sure, if that's what you want. But if it's one or the other, that's fine. I'm tired of half baked MP modes or after thought SP campaigns because some developer tried to have everything when they didn't want to.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: Gusington on August 22, 2013, 07:34:54 AM
Well I definitely won't be getting Titanfall because there's definitely no SP. If the developers at least attempted a SP component they could potentially unlock more sales.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on October 23, 2013, 12:43:50 AM
New trailer for Angel City released.  Still looking good:



Can't believe that game is running on the Source engine.  :o


And somebody is getting cocky:



I hope they earn that cockiness with this new shooter.  Lord knows Battlefield and CoD are getting long in the tooth.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: FlickJax on October 23, 2013, 03:04:53 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 21, 2013, 10:02:46 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 21, 2013, 09:32:08 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 21, 2013, 07:03:07 AM
I so wish it had a SP component.

I'm glad that it doesn't.

Want to focus on a SP game? Cool. Don't toss in a half baked MP portion that even you as a dev don't want.
Want to focus on an MP game? Cool. Don't waste time on a half baked 'campaign' that will interest nobody.

Or, option three. Make a game with a strong SP campaign, and a fully featured MP suite that will interest EVERYBODY.

+1 here, i will delay a few weeks to see if it survives as MP only.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on January 20, 2014, 04:38:41 PM
PC Gamer has a link to some closed beta gameplay footage that has been leaked to the internet.  I have to say that this game continues to look great. 

http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/01/20/titanfall-alpha-footage-appears-online-may-not-be-around-for-long/?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=emp

BTW:  those of you looking for a SP experience might not be disappointed.  There was an article a few weeks back that said that the game is going to be limited to 6v6 humans, but there are going to be lots of bots on the map at the same time (I think more bots than players).  I guess the devs are keeping their word about trying to make this a type of SP/MP hybrid game. 

Still keeping an eye on this.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 20, 2014, 04:41:18 PM
Quote from: RooksBailey on January 20, 2014, 04:38:41 PM
PC Gamer has a link to some closed beta gameplay footage that has been leaked to the internet.  I have to say that this game continues to look great. 

http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/01/20/titanfall-alpha-footage-appears-online-may-not-be-around-for-long/?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=emp

BTW:  those of you looking for a SP experience might not be disappointed.  There was an article a few weeks back that said that the game is going to be limited to 6v6 humans, but there are going to be lots of bots on the map at the same time (I think more bots than players).  I guess the devs are keeping their word about trying to make this a type of SP/MP hybrid game. 

Still keeping an eye on this.

Can you expand on what you mean by having a SP experience....I was looking forward to this game until I learned it was exclusive to MP.  How would SP work?
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on January 20, 2014, 04:57:39 PM
There is no SP, just MP.  But the devs have indicated that they are going for a type of hybrid.  From what I understand, and that first vid shows, the matches aren't strictly Team Deathmatch but rather have a sort of story built into them where the players needs to accomplish specific objectives to win a game rather than just run around fragging everybody.  Also, they have indicated that there will be lots of bots playing alongside players:

http://www.examiner.com/article/titanfall-bots-players-and-titans-count-clarified

Quote“Titanfall” is somewhat unique to the genre as it features computer-controlled combatants along with human players. Each of the opposing teams will also be allocated 12 bots each, which brings the total maximum count in a match to 48.


And here is just some background on the MP/SP hybrid:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/megaton-titanfall-to-have-multiplayer-campaign-wit-29416576/

QuoteSingle-player modes in shooters usually offer a narrative hardly a strong suit for multiplayer but the differences go deeper. Campaigns are normally built around players going from point A to point B, instead of dumping them in unstructured arenas. As such, designers can create bombastic moments when players reach certain spots on levels. Its more difficult to incorporate those kinds of storytelling techniques in multiplayer matches, where a dozen players are too busy scrambling to fulfill their own in-game needs to notice a collapsing bridge in the background.

We really wanted to try and meld the two together and get our strengths combined and just make one big, deep, awesome experience that everyone could see all of, says producer Drew McCoy. We wanted to reconcile the two of those things together and make one cohesive game.

Just anecdotal, but some SP-only gamers have been won over:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/63353/features/does-titanfall-need-single-player-respawn-talks-bots-only-battles-and-winning-over-casual-players/

QuoteHeppe acknowledged that the results aren't for everybody, at least on paper, but told me that she's been pleasantly surprised by community reaction at hands-on events. "I've been watching a lot of casual players play, and people who've straight up told me that they don't play shooters online, and they've come away saying: 'OK, so I jumped on the back of the Titan and I shot him and then I shot up in the air and I jumped on this other one and then I ran on this wall' and so on.

"For them to come out telling me these stories, about what their time playing the game was like - I think it's a sign that we're doing something right," she observed, "And having those story characters with you through the whole thing, talking you through the mission..."

Heppe is also fairly confident that Titanfall won't be completely inaccessible to newcomers a few weeks after release, as is often the way of multiplayer shooters. "Our designers have spent an awful lot of time testing the usability, because yeah you're going to have the hardcore out there coming in and playing for months, and we have more traditional modes in the game so that they can do that with their friends, but for modes like Attrition - they've done so much testing to ensure that your average player can come in and even though they're not top of the leaderboards, they'll have a good time.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 20, 2014, 05:20:23 PM
Thanks, does look cool...
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on February 08, 2014, 02:44:33 PM
More mech goodness:

The XBox One alpha of TitanFall has concluded and it looks like...we might have a winner! 



I really like how this game combines humans with bot players.  This is something people have been asking for in games like CoD and BF for a while now. 

Anyhoo...this might be a Day 1 buy for me if the good news persists.  There is an invite beta on the horizon soon, so I am going to definitely try to get in on that.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on February 08, 2014, 03:42:14 PM
Turns out that there is more than a little leaked alpha footage out there.  I find it interesting that EA hasn't pulled them.  This would seem to indicate that EA/Respawn is confident in this game, even in an alpha state (but it looks more like a beta to me). 



Nice!  I am assuming that "grunts" and "spectres" are the bots. 
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: skeptical.platypus on February 08, 2014, 03:58:46 PM
Quote from: RooksBailey on February 08, 2014, 02:44:33 PM
More mech goodness:

The XBox One alpha of TitanFall has concluded and it looks like...we might have a winner! 



I really like how this game combines humans with bot players.  This is something people have been asking for in games like CoD and BF for a while now. 

Anyhoo...this might be a Day 1 buy for me if the good news persists.  There is an invite beta on the horizon soon, so I am going to definitely try to get in on that.

When did Nicolas Cage start doing alpha reviews?!?
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on February 09, 2014, 04:01:08 PM
LOL!  You're right, it does look like NC!    :D

Fortunately, I haven't seen any worthwhile pre-order bonuses because this is the type of game that could get me to break my "no pre-orders" policy.  :)  I will never learn....
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on February 11, 2014, 09:34:46 PM
Beta registration is now open! Sign up here!

http://www.titanfall.com/beta
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on February 12, 2014, 10:24:56 PM
It looks like the NDA on TitanFall vids have been lifted because a lot are suddenly appearing.  I think it speaks well of the game that EA/Respawn are allowing so many videos to be made from the alpha/beta and posted.  I think this vid is particularly interesting:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/12/5404832/titanfall-gameplay-xbox-one-video

A lot of people are comparing TF to CoD, which is understandable seeing Respawn's roots, but this vid actually reminds me more of Battlefield than CoD.  It reminds me of some some of the more intense, combined-arms battles I've experienced in BF3.  That is definitely a good sign AFAIAC!
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: Grimnirsson on February 13, 2014, 04:36:22 AM
The pace is much more CoDlike than BF imho, so I can understand when folks compare it to CoD. This weird 'shoot and kill automatically' pistol looks a bit gamey...
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on February 13, 2014, 08:52:50 PM
Quote from: Grimnirsson on February 13, 2014, 04:36:22 AM
The pace is much more CoDlike than BF imho, so I can understand when folks compare it to CoD.

For me, BF has been steadily moving closer to CoD's pacing the last two iterations.  You don't really feel it when you are engaging from a distance, but with CQ battles it was definitely noticeable to me.  This is one of the reasons why I rarely played on the CQ maps in BF3.  It felt just like BlOps 2, but not nearly as much fun because the gameplay wasn't optimized for it. 

QuoteThis weird 'shoot and kill automatically' pistol looks a bit gamey...

Yeah, when I saw that pistol in action, I was shocked that it was being allowed.  But people who have tried it say that it isn't an "I win button" as many fear:

QuoteThe pilot’s other equipment ranges from the familiar – assault rifles, shotguns, pistols – to the more exotic, like the smart pistol. When you first learn about it, it sounds like a cheat – a gun that automatically locks onto targets and fires bullets around corners. How is that fair? In practice, it makes perfect sense and requires tactics to be wielded effectively. It automatically locks onto targets within range, turning red if a kill is possible. AI-controlled opponents, which help bulk out a team’s numbers, can be killed instantly, once a lock-on is acquired. That’s quite easy. But to take down a human-controlled adversary requires multiple lock-ons, which is much trickier. You must keep them within your sights for a couple of seconds and remain undetected, otherwise it’s very easy for them to turn around and take you out with a heavier weapon. It’s a cool, futuristic weapon and the balancing, so far, seems spot-on. When used strategically, it also allows for some great passages of gameplay. At one point, I used the smart pistol to target four Grunts while looking down from a rooftop; I jumped, pulled the trigger mid-air, and all four hit the ground before I even landed. Moments like that happen a lot in Titanfall.

I am remaining cautiously optimistic about this.  I do have some concerns:  long term support?, will a MP community develop around it to keep it going?, too much like CoD?, etc.  But it still remains interesting to me...for the mechs, if nothing else.   :)  Not only that, but I need a new shooter seeing how CoD; Ghosts is a disgrace, and I refuse to touch BF4 until the all clear is given by a majority of the community. 

Here is a PC-only preview:

Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: Grimnirsson on February 14, 2014, 07:42:27 AM
QuoteCoD; Ghosts is a disgrace,

Here I disagree 100% ...


Quoteand I refuse to touch BF4 until the all clear is given by a majority of the community. 

While here I agree 100%

:)
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on February 14, 2014, 04:56:30 PM
Quote from: Grimnirsson on February 14, 2014, 07:42:27 AM
QuoteCoD; Ghosts is a disgrace,

Here I disagree 100% ...


Quoteand I refuse to touch BF4 until the all clear is given by a majority of the community. 

While here I agree 100%

:)

Wow, usually when I write that I get the exact opposite reaction!  LOL!   ;D

Are you playing Ghosts on the PC or the consoles?  I was referring to the PC version which I hear is poorly optimized and lacks a FOV slider.


As for Titanfall,  I got trolled by EA!  They sent me a beta invite...but for the WRONG PLATFORM!  LOL!  It appears to be happening to a lot of people:

Titanfall Beta invites hit a snag, more on the way (http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/titanfall-beta-invites-hit-snag/)

QuoteIf you didn't receive your invite to the Titanfall Beta, you're not alone.  Apparently, Respawn and EA hit a snag when they started dispersing the codes last night, mixing up Xbox One and PC invites for testers.  According to Vince Zampella, the invite sending process was halted to fix the error, but invites are on the way.

According to a rash of tweets from the Respawn Entertainment head, "There should be a lot of keys going out today, assuming all this bubblegum and duct tape holds."  Zampella added, "There will be more codes released in the coming days.  The number really depends on how many problems we find."

Respawn is hoping to make the Xbox One and PC launch experience as smooth as possible in this apparent stress test for the shooter. 

I am told replacement codes are being sent out within two hours.  Fingers crossed.  If I have a good experience, this could get me to make a pre-order!
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: W8taminute on February 14, 2014, 07:39:29 PM
Just jumping in here to comment on COD: Ghosts.  It's a great game.  I play both on 360 and PS4.  I've never played a shooter where I wasn't constantly getting pwned by some idiot 13 year old spawn camper until Ghosts.  The pacing in Ghosts is just right for an old man like me and the community is so far not full of losers.  I really enjoy all the different MP modes as well.  You can even play MP with just bots if you prefer so you don't have to interact with humans at all. 

I understand that there are a lot of veterans in the genre who probably are COD'ed out and sick of the franchise, but as a relative newcomer I'm pretty happy with this game. 


As for Titanfall.  It does look intriguing.  I probably won't get it though because I'm in the process of phasing out my 360, I won't by an Xbone, and I'm totally loving my PS4.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on February 14, 2014, 08:28:29 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on February 14, 2014, 07:39:29 PM
Just jumping in here to comment on COD: Ghosts.  It's a great game.  I play both on 360 and PS4.  I've never played a shooter where I wasn't constantly getting pwned by some idiot 13 year old spawn camper until Ghosts.  The pacing in Ghosts is just right for an old man like me and the community is so far not full of losers.  I really enjoy all the different MP modes as well.  You can even play MP with just bots if you prefer so you don't have to interact with humans at all. 

I understand that there are a lot of veterans in the genre who probably are COD'ed out and sick of the franchise, but as a relative newcomer I'm pretty happy with this game. 

Don't misunderstand: I have been a defender of CoD.  I loved MW1, really loved MW3 both SP and MP (I thought it was one of the best WWIII settings I ever played), and wracked up more than 70 hours in MP in BlOp2.  CoD gets a lot of hate just because it is so popular.  I am often amused at how many CS players like to dump on CoD as a "run and gun" when there isn't a bigger run and gun than CS!  So I generally like the CoD series.  My disgust with Ghosts is because IW promised that the PC community was going to have all the stuff that is important to us, such as a FOV slider (a must!) and dedicated servers, but has since gone silent on all of that.  Plus, I've seen PC reviews of Ghosts that shows nothing more than muddy textures and poor optimization.  I could probably overlook all of that if they would give us a FOV slider.  But I just can't play a shooter with a 65 FOV on a widescreen monitor.  To leave that out of a PC port is simply inexcusable, hence, I won't touch Ghosts.

QuoteAs for Titanfall.  It does look intriguing.  I probably won't get it though because I'm in the process of phasing out my 360, I won't by an Xbone, and I'm totally loving my PS4.

What about on the PC?

Speaking of: I finally got my correct beta code...but now there is a server problem!  :facepalm:

Titanfall – Major Bug Prevents Players Connecting On Servers, Affects All Platforms (http://www.dsogaming.com/news/titanfall-major-bug-prevents-players-connecting-on-servers-affects-all-platforms/?utm_source=rss)

QuoteAnd this is precisely why we should have beta phases for triple-A titles. It appears there is a major bug in Titanfall that is currently preventing players from connecting on the game's servers. According to reports, this affects all platforms and is due to the game's inability to allocate more servers. Microsoft is currently looking into it, so hopefully it will be sorted out pretty soon.

So far the TF beta has not been without issues.  It is an EA game after all..... ::)
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2014, 10:54:36 AM
They haven't fixed the problem because I just received an email with my "Xbox One" code. I requested it for the PC.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: son_of_montfort on February 15, 2014, 11:40:19 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on February 14, 2014, 07:39:29 PM
As for Titanfall.  It does look intriguing.  I probably won't get it though because I'm in the process of phasing out my 360, I won't by an Xbone, and I'm totally loving my PS4.

Occasionally these "exclusives" for Xbox tend to cross over after a pre-determined number of months on the console. Sony is much more strict about never letting their exclusives cross over than Microsoft, so I expect there will be a PS4 version of Titanfall at some point. I could be very wrong, but I'm in no hurry to grab it for the PC.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on February 15, 2014, 04:42:31 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2014, 10:54:36 AM
They haven't fixed the problem because I just received an email with my "Xbox One" code. I requested it for the PC.

Did you go to the support page and request a new one?

http://help.ea.com/en/article/titanfall-beta-code-platform-issue-and-workaround/

About three hours or so after I filled out the form, they unlocked the beta on my Origin account.  Today they also sent me a new email with the code in it.

I only got less than a hour with the the beta but I definitely like what I see.  I intend to write up my experiences on my blog more fully soon, but right now I can say that I definitely liked what I experienced.  To me, the game feels like it is trying to position itself somewhere between CoD and Battlefield.   What I mean by that is that TF has the frenetic action of CoD, but the existence of mechs gives it the combined arms feel of a BF.  It is definitely an interesting mix.  I also like the fact that the game isn't as brutal as CoD because there are only six enemy pilots on maps that feel 1.5 to 2x bigger than your typical CoD map.  Since you are more likely to run into a less threatening bot, you don't feel like you every step is going to be your last. 

Speaking of the bots: I disagree with many of the "leet" shooter fans who are constantly bellyaching over their presence.  I completely understand why the bots are in the game.  Their presence not only makes the battlefield feel alive in a very SP like fashion (e.g., as you play, you will spot them fighting other bots, which makes the battle feel all the more alive and varied), but it also gives the non-leet players (like me!) a chance to get some kills and wrack up some points.  I do hope we get the option of setting bot difficulty one day - providing different levels of AI probably would go a long way to silencing the naysayers (bots are slow and stupid in the beta) - but I definitely don't want to see them removed completely.

It is premature, but my opinion is definitely favorable.  There is a lot to like about TF so far.  Definite purchase for me as far as I can tell at the moment.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on February 17, 2014, 12:26:04 AM
Prepare for Titanfall!  It is going open beta for the PC in mere hours!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...Full-Open-Beta

I was one of the lucky ones who got a gold ticket in my candy bar, so I have about seven hours in it already - which should tell you something right there.   I will say that there is little, if anything, revolutionary about the game - this isn't some new experience that is going to blow minds. But it IS an extremely well thought out game that is also extremely polished. It is as if Respawn looked at everything right and wrong with the current crop of shooters and decided to enhance the right and eliminate the wrong with a scalpel.  Also, the sci-fi setting is extremely well done with the maps loaded with believable detail (there is a rumor that the base game is going to ship with between 14-16 maps!). Last, even though the beta is limited to skirmish games, you still get a sense of the SP/MP campaign hybrid system that Respawn is going for. It isn't marketing gibberish. Playing a MP game of TF is like the SP campaign in a COD game where you have bots fighting with each other, but with the added challenge of coming across other human players from time to time. It actually is a lot of fun!

New trailer:

Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on February 19, 2014, 05:06:16 PM
The hardest thing about finishing this preview was tearing myself away from Titanfall so I could actually write the darn thing!   ;D  Great game.  My thoughts here:

http://www.burkesjoystick.com/2014/02/time-to-get-mecha-nized-part-ii.html

The first retailer to offer a discount of any type gets my pre-order. 
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: Yskonyn on February 20, 2014, 02:06:44 AM
I am sorry, Rooks, but once you started to emphasise on your dislike for the current BF games the bias started to shine through. ;)
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on February 20, 2014, 05:26:34 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on February 20, 2014, 02:06:44 AM
I am sorry, Rooks, but once you started to emphasise on your dislike for the current BF games the bias started to shine through. ;)

LOL!  Truth is, my only real bias is against BF4 because of the dreadful state it arrived in (but I was being completely honest about how the beta for it bored me to tears.  I knew something was wrong after that beta).  I ultimately loved BF3 once we got the Aftermath map pack.  I think I "finished" BF3 with over 110 hours in it.  Not as high as the 169 hours I had in Bad Company 2, but not bad at all.  :)

Sadly, the TF beta wrapped up last night.  I already am going into withdrawals.   :D 

I am particularly gratified that a lot of the naysayers who were bellyaching about the bots...have come to love them.  They are great to play with, and hilarious at times:



I missed some of those!  :D



Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 20, 2014, 06:03:56 PM
That's it? The beta is over? I barely played! It was like only a week!
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: undercovergeek on February 20, 2014, 06:48:08 PM
'youre not the beta tester theyre looking for'
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on February 20, 2014, 07:13:46 PM
Yeah, they wrapped the beta last night.  I was surprised too.  I figured it would go at least two weeks, but I guess they got the data they needed.   :(
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on February 20, 2014, 09:56:06 PM
So, tell me: think this is a coincidence?  A free to play weekend has just been announced for CoD: Ghosts:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/209160/

Plus, it is 50% off!   

Yeah, as they say: "prepare for Titanfall".    :P

Still, I'm gonna check out Ghosts for the heck of it. 

Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: RooksBailey on March 03, 2014, 02:30:59 PM
This is a pretty clever ad:



Haven't we all fantasized about something similar?   :D

Eight days and counting.  Let's hope EA doesn't screw this up....
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: Kushan on March 12, 2014, 08:49:52 AM
Anyone else playing? Picked it up for my xbox one. Didn't have a lot of time to play. Took me a couple of attempts just to get into the tutorial. Hoping to put some time into it tonight.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 12, 2014, 09:03:32 AM
Quote from: Kushan on March 12, 2014, 08:49:52 AM
Anyone else playing? Picked it up for my xbox one. Didn't have a lot of time to play. Took me a couple of attempts just to get into the tutorial. Hoping to put some time into it tonight.

I have it on PC. Also just completed the tutorial.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: Kushan on March 12, 2014, 01:57:52 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 12, 2014, 09:03:32 AM
Quote from: Kushan on March 12, 2014, 08:49:52 AM
Anyone else playing? Picked it up for my xbox one. Didn't have a lot of time to play. Took me a couple of attempts just to get into the tutorial. Hoping to put some time into it tonight.

I have it on PC. Also just completed the tutorial.

I had a hard time not rolling my eyes for most of the tutorial. A whole tutorial dedicated to just normal movement, jumping, and sprinting? Who at this point doesn't know how to do that? Took some practice but the wall walking is kind of cool. Not sure what kind of game play effects it will have, but it is a nice gimmick. Still having some issues getting use to the controls, mainly the aiming, like I do with all console FPS's. I'm just to use to a mouse and keyboard. Looking forward to jumping into some real matches tonight.
Title: Re: Titanfall
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 12, 2014, 02:40:48 PM
^Why didn't you just get it on PC?