GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: JudgeDredd on June 24, 2013, 04:47:03 PM

Title: ArmA III
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 24, 2013, 04:47:03 PM
Anyone got any ideas how you put down the bipod on a machinegun? I've looked through the controls and can't see anything specifically mentioning that

Thanks
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 24, 2013, 04:53:49 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 24, 2013, 04:47:03 PM
Anyone got any ideas how you put down the bipod on a machinegun? I've looked through the controls and can't see anything specifically mentioning that

Thanks

My understanding is that this feature is not implemented yet.  It is heavily requested by the community.
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 24, 2013, 04:55:06 PM
Thanks. Defo hope it makes it in. You need "stability" firing a LSW.

Ta. I should try and remember the game's in Alpha (though I'm reminded when I go an look at the scenario list in game  ;D )
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: undercovergeek on June 24, 2013, 05:10:43 PM
i think it goes beta tomorrow or the day after
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 24, 2013, 05:23:05 PM
Default binding for bipods is SHIFT-SPACE.  You can usually only do it when prone but there has been some mention of allowing for it with ledges, rocks, windowsills, etc.

There is a lot of complaint about recoil in ArmA III (it's always in the top 5 items to be voted upon in the feedback section) so expect it to be addressed in an upcoming patch.  I tried the dev build of the beta and it seems they'd screwed up some of the recoil settings.  The new SMGs have very fierce recoil when fired in semi-auto mode but zero recoil in full auto.  I don't know if that's been addressed for the official beta release slated for tomorrow.
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: Swatter on June 24, 2013, 06:52:07 PM
Are the modding tools functioning?

I loved building sandbox missions in Arma2. I would put a small base of operations on a map and set up a few Ambient Combat Modules and use MCC Sandbox to fill in an gaps. I hope the modding tools are the same or similar.
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: mikeck on June 24, 2013, 07:00:38 PM
Is this am open beta on steam? I'm interested in picking it up even though it is unfinished

Looking at some YouTube videos, the graphics look very similar to Arma 2???  Am I mistaken?
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 24, 2013, 07:33:09 PM
Graphics are improved over ArmA 2 although there are currently still some ArmA 2 placeholder graphics in the alpha.

Beta is supposed to be released tomorrow and the Steam price will jump from $32.99 to $44.99 or something close to that.
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: mikeck on June 24, 2013, 07:52:54 PM
Ok thanks
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: Toonces on June 24, 2013, 08:10:23 PM
Just to jump in on the price thing, I bought the Alpha version for $32 and I recommend most people go ahead and do that now.

The reason is, as ARMA 3 gets closer to release it is slowly going to usurp ARMA 2 as the preferred choice.  If you're an ARMA 2 fan then you are eventually going to get ARMA 3.  So from a cost perspective it makes sense to get it now early while it's cheap than wait until it's finished and then pay a premium. 

It's going to be finished eventually and be good, so why not get in while it's bargain priced?
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 24, 2013, 08:12:53 PM
Couple questions....

1)  With the beta being released any additional content such as more missions and such being made available?

2)  Has there been any official target release date yet for the full version?
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 24, 2013, 08:32:57 PM
Yes, they've added a few new firearms.  2 SMGs, a GPMG, a pistol, and something else I can't remember right now.
They've also added some amphibious APCs, an attack helicopter based on the Commanche, a utility chopper based on the thing they used on the Bin Laden raid, and a heavy lift chopper that looks kind of like the Brit Merlin.  They have some new missions covering support, command, and night ops.

They've also added 3D scopes similar to Red Orchestra's. 

Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 24, 2013, 08:37:24 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 24, 2013, 08:32:57 PM
Yes, they've added a few new firearms.  2 SMGs, a GPMG, a pistol, and something else I can't remember right now.
They've also added some amphibious APCs, an attack helicopter based on the Commanche, a utility chopper based on the thing they used on the Bin Laden raid, and a heavy lift chopper that looks kind of like the Brit Merlin.  They have some new missions covering support, command, and night ops.

They've also added 3D scopes similar to Red Orchestra's.

sounds like some decent stuff....glad I jumped in the alpha at the start, just have been waiting for more content before I really paid serious attention.
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: TheCommandTent on June 24, 2013, 09:21:34 PM
Quote from: Toonces on June 24, 2013, 08:10:23 PM
Just to jump in on the price thing, I bought the Alpha version for $32 and I recommend most people go ahead and do that now.

The reason is, as ARMA 3 gets closer to release it is slowly going to usurp ARMA 2 as the preferred choice.  If you're an ARMA 2 fan then you are eventually going to get ARMA 3.  So from a cost perspective it makes sense to get it now early while it's cheap than wait until it's finished and then pay a premium. 

It's going to be finished eventually and be good, so why not get in while it's bargain priced?


Why do you have to make so much sense??
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: Toonces on June 24, 2013, 10:15:41 PM
I'm the voice of reason here.  Trust me, I spend 99% of my time in ARMA 2, but I just know I'm going to want ARMA 3 so I bought in early and it just sits there until I'm ready for it.

Finally, I'm at the cutting edge of gaming!
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: TheCommandTent on June 24, 2013, 10:45:14 PM
Quote from: Toonces on June 24, 2013, 10:15:41 PM
I'm the voice of reason here.  Trust me, I spend 99% of my time in ARMA 2, but I just know I'm going to want ARMA 3 so I bought in early and it just sits there until I'm ready for it.

Finally, I'm at the cutting edge of gaming!

Well because of this "voice of reason" I now own the game.  So yeah, thanks for that.   ;D
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 25, 2013, 01:01:43 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 24, 2013, 05:23:05 PM
Default binding for bipods is SHIFT-SPACE.  You can usually only do it when prone but there has been some mention of allowing for it with ledges, rocks, windowsills, etc.

There is a lot of complaint about recoil in ArmA III (it's always in the top 5 items to be voted upon in the feedback section) so expect it to be addressed in an upcoming patch.  I tried the dev build of the beta and it seems they'd screwed up some of the recoil settings.  The new SMGs have very fierce recoil when fired in semi-auto mode but zero recoil in full auto.  I don't know if that's been addressed for the official beta release slated for tomorrow.
My game is not allowing that in prone!  :(

I presume this auto patches through Steam? Because above you mention about other missions - and I still only have the ones the game shipped with.

*edit*
Actually SDR I re-read your post and I think you're suggesting that they are being added for the beta.
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 25, 2013, 01:57:25 AM
Yes.  The beta should be released tomorrow but if you want to try the current dev build, right click on ArmA III in your Steam library and select 'properties'.  You should see a pull down tab that will let you opt in to the early beta test.
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 25, 2013, 02:05:30 AM
^ never knew that

Thanks.
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: jomni on June 25, 2013, 09:37:39 PM
Is is version of Arma more futuristic like Ghost Recon?   I think the weapons and vehicles are beginning to depart from (or are derivatives of) present day stuff.   
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: JudgeDredd on June 26, 2013, 01:56:00 AM
^ no - modern day (a bit in the future).

I don't know the timeline - I haven't read about it - but it's defo not like Ghost Recon.
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 26, 2013, 08:49:05 AM
Supposedly it takes place around 2030 with the US fighting a technologically superior Iran.  (They invaded Israel and stole all their toys or something.). Sounds kind of goofy but they haven't released too many story details other than they made big changes to their original script after some of their dev team got arrested by the Greek govt for espionage when they were taking photos of military installation on the island of Limnos.
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: MengJiao on June 26, 2013, 09:14:46 AM
Quote from: jomni on June 25, 2013, 09:37:39 PM
Is is version of Arma more futuristic like Ghost Recon?   I think the weapons and vehicles are beginning to depart from (or are derivatives of) present day stuff.

  Well, the light armored vehicle for Blue looks pretty much like current stuff.  Some things are vaguely futuristic, but also a tiny bit alternative universe in that I think the motivation for the "futuristic" stuff is so that the developers can build what interests them (eg. they just released a Mars rover simulation) rather than follow every faddish obsession with heavily Acronymed technology in the world today.

   Which makes sense to me: you aren't simulating people's obsessions, you are simulating a world, a toy world (in the sense of "toy model" in physics).

    The Modding community generally makes obsessively accurate (in some way) gear that fits some particular set of obsessions.  There's no reason for a whole game to be built like that -- though they often are -- it least they try to fit the imaginary obsessions of some imaginary population.
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: jomni on June 26, 2013, 05:51:33 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 26, 2013, 08:49:05 AM
Supposedly it takes place around 2030 with the US fighting a technologically superior Iran.  (They invaded Israel and stole all their toys or something.). Sounds kind of goofy but they haven't released too many story details other than they made big changes to their original script after some of their dev team got arrested by the Greek govt for espionage when they were taking photos of military installation on the island of Limnos.

Well sounds Ghost Recon-ish to me minus the stealth suites and wearable computers (Google Glass).
I agree that mods will probably bring back the real world stuff but part of the appeal of ARMA to me is the present-day equipment and tactics. 
Now it's just the tactics (unless they start employing super high tech stuff like in Ghost Recon which changes the tactics part).
You know how some grogs prefer historical or present-day stuff rather that futuristic. ;)
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: MengJiao on June 27, 2013, 09:10:26 AM
Quote from: jomni on June 26, 2013, 05:51:33 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 26, 2013, 08:49:05 AM
Supposedly it takes place around 2030 with the US fighting a technologically superior Iran.  (They invaded Israel and stole all their toys or something.). Sounds kind of goofy but they haven't released too many story details other than they made big changes to their original script after some of their dev team got arrested by the Greek govt for espionage when they were taking photos of military installation on the island of Limnos.

Well sounds Ghost Recon-ish to me minus the stealth suites and wearable computers (Google Glass).
I agree that mods will probably bring back the real world stuff but part of the appeal of ARMA to me is the present-day equipment and tactics. 
Now it's just the tactics (unless they start employing super high tech stuff like in Ghost Recon which changes the tactics part).
You know how some grogs prefer historical or present-day stuff rather that futuristic. ;)

The best moments in the ARMAs are usually in the mods.  I still fondly recall the unbelievably good Finnish mod for the Original Opflash, especially the Russian truck with the quad maxim guns.  Nuttily delicious!

On the other hand, I think I have learned a lot from the ARMAs about what a simulation really is under all the gaminess and grogginess.  For example that dust and stars and the moon and the sun and folliage and wind and rain and fog (and more recently big waves in the sea) are more fundamental to the experience than any particular suite of military hardware and its functionality or dysfunctionality.

  Moreover, the ARMAs have an Eastern European distrust of the mystique of military gear -- after all in many ARMAII situations, a T34/85 or a T55 are still the ultimate weapons -- which is to say -- the ARMAs often show that situations are more important than specific gear in determining the shape of a battle.  And again I'm sure they learned from the amazing amounts of groggy griping about gear in ARMAII that they might just as well design their own weapons and the doctrinal context and let the mods be abused for not getting the gear right.
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 27, 2013, 09:39:11 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on June 27, 2013, 09:10:26 AM
...Nuttily delicious!

You worry me.
Title: Re: ArmA III
Post by: jomni on June 27, 2013, 07:32:37 PM
You are probably right.  If the game claims to be accurate, the  grogs will jump all over it an nitpick every detail like what's happening to Gary Grigsby games.  If you use alternate universe or different time frame, then you won't have that problem.