Looks like this is now officially released (?) because it just popped up on Gamersgate for $7.99.
I think I'll check it out sometime, despite looking to be a more simplistic tablet-capable strategy game.
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-FEW/the-few
Looks interesting. Just wish you could play as either side in the campaign.
^agreed. Hopefully this
Quote
We still plan to add gadzillion things to the game, but guess what? All the upgrades and future dlc's will be totally FREE for everybody who would buy the game. (do I have to mention we're NOT planning to add any kind of micro-transations there?)
The Few comes with auto-upgrading system (It will ask you nicely if you want to download and install new versions).
means that will happen eventually. For $8, I think I'll grab it in the next day or so...
I have to get this.
I was disappointed at letting Achtung! Spitfire get through my fingers - and this kind of reminds me of an old game my brother and I used to play in the 70s called Fighter Command http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/14187/fighter-command-game
It was simple and we loved it. We were only about 10 or so.
It is pretty simple.
Tends to get quite repetitive at the moment. Maybe they'll add some extra stuff in the future.
This is a great find! I'll keep my eye on this.
Well - it's only a fiver!
What am I going to lose? I spent much more on that for the simplistic Battlefield Academy and shelved it once the intriguing graphical look, interface and appeal wore off. (not that it's a bad game - just I found little there once the quirky "comic" graphics look wore off.
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 26, 2013, 01:57:55 AM
Well - it's only a fiver!
What am I going to lose? I spent much more on that for the simplistic Battlefield Academy and shelved it once the intriguing graphical look, interface and appeal wore off. (not that it's a bad game - just I found little there once the quirky "comic" graphics look wore off.
Was that the PC version or the tablet version of BA you played?
I'm sorry to say that
The Few is less sophisticated than the PC version of Battlefield Academy. Far less.
The PC version.
I haven't got my wallet out yet for The Few - maybe it should stay closed if it's that simple. Having said that, they do seem optimistic that other stuff will be added...and it is only £5 (trying to convince me - no-one else!)
It's fun. It's pretty simple but it is fun. I'm hoping for more down the road too.
It seems easy then you get a flight of 8 109's and 8 111's coming at you and its really tough.
Gets even tougher if they get through and flatten one of your landing strips. :P
A great and fun little game! Would love to see them use the engine for other similar subjects.
I have had some success with building a cluster of airstrips protected by overlapping AA batteries. Still the game is not easy. I had a Aussie squadron get wiped out on the ground when a big raid got through. My only consolation is I picked the entire formation apart before it could get back across the channel.
I would love to see them do other things with this engine. Fly the Germans for one... US Bombing campaign would be another. WWI would work as well...thinking Bloody April.
^Zeppelin Raids!
I bought the game but have not installed it since I'm still unpacking from my move and have not set up my Windows box yet.
OK, I finally fired this up, but can't get past the damn point in the "tutorial" where I'm supposed to add 4 planes to the supply chain. Is the tutorial bugged? I place a factory in the north and then select either the Spitfire or Hurricane and try to add 4 planes. No matter how many planes, I get "Can you count? Order 4 planes" >:(
I seem to recall having this problem, maybe you are accidentally ordering a group of eight planes (easy to do). The button below the aircraft is split. The single "+" is what you should be hitting, not the "+8".
^Thanks AT, but I am hitting just the "+", not the "+8". I hit the "+" the first time to set production to Spitfires or Hurricanes and then hit "+" 4 more times to get 4 planes in the production queue :-\ I'm going to try re-installing to see if that makes a difference.
Quote from: steve58 on July 08, 2013, 08:13:27 AM
^Thanks AT, but I am hitting just the "+", not the "+8". I hit the "+" the first time to set production to Spitfires or Hurricanes and then hit "+" 4 more times to get 4 planes in the production queue :-\ I'm going to try re-installing to see if that makes a difference.
Ah... don't hit it "4 more times"... your first hit put one plane in production, it's not a choice maker. Each hit after that adds another plane to the production. So you've been putting 5 planes in production.... 8)
...bloody 'ell :-[ could've sworn I tried just 3 planes/+s. Thanks Barthheart, that did the trick.
No problem. 8)
Now if you get beyond day 2 of the campaign let me know how you managed it! :o This game is not easy...... how am I supposed to stop a flight of 8 Me-109's AND 16 He-111's with a flight of 8 Spits?!? >:(
Quote from: Barthheart on July 08, 2013, 10:31:12 AM
No problem. 8)
Now if you get beyond day 2 of the campaign let me know how you managed it! :o This game is not easy...... how am I supposed to stop a flight of 8 Me-109's AND 16 He-111's with a flight of 8 Spits?!? >:(
Same problem I've encountered. I don't see any way that this game is at all playable beyond a day or two. :-[
...sounds like an update may be incoming soon (see last post in the following thread).
http://forum.blackmoondev.com/discussion/22/dealing-a-big-wave-escort
Hopefully it'll help to deal with the large German bomber/fighter groups. Would also be nice to be able to coordinate attacks from multiple RAF squadrons...
Just a heads up for anyone who hasn't bought this game. It's available as part of a "pay what you want" bundle here:
http://gamesrage.org/ (http://gamesrage.org/)
An update is out....
http://forum.blackmoondev.com/discussion/88/the-few-update-0-970
I'm away from my gaming PC, so won't be able to try it til next week...
Patch notes :
QuoteWe have released a update for The Few - the current version is 0.970
New features and tweaks in this version:
- The campaign is much easier (at least in the beginning)
- Help system has been added
- All the text in the tutorial have the voice over now
- List of people that help us with the game has been updated in the Credits section
- German squadrons abort their missions and head back home when their losses are huge
- Bailing out can lead to the pilot being missed in action (especially when pilots bails out over the sea)
- The intelligence report will show the list of the Luftwaffe squadrons
- More polish voice overs
- There are animations on the side panel indicating which of your aircraft has been hit
- Formation lines have some more informations on them (ie. who's the leader and who's the wingman)
- Squadrons on the map have a small marks indicating the direction the squadron is flying
Fixed bugs:
- When "Plane Information" is open, the game pauses automatically
- "Q" and "E" keys have the same function on the map and in the airfight (thanks to Mikolaj Demkow)
- "Fastforward" button reacts on "Press & Release outside" (thanks to Mikolaj Demkow)
- The notifications are gone when you restart/reload the game
- You are not being shown the player list if there's only one player
- When squadron finishes the air fight without planes - all the surviving pilots are send to reserve
- Airfield being attacked by fighters sound added
- Pilots voice volume is being saved
- In the Airfight, the status led is not affected by the fuel level
Maybe I can actually see Day 5 now!