GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: LongBlade on June 29, 2013, 05:58:41 PM

Title: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: LongBlade on June 29, 2013, 05:58:41 PM
Hmmm.

QuoteA second video game has been banned for sale in Australia by the Australian Classification Board.

State of Decay has joined Saints Row IV as the second game in 24 hours refused classification in Australia.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/06/26/australia-bans-second-video-game-in-24-hours/
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: agathosdaimon on June 29, 2013, 10:16:11 PM
Its sad to see that unfortunately despite the introduction of an R18+ classification, the conservative censors still can just refuse classification.
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: GDS_Starfury on June 29, 2013, 10:20:41 PM
theres no choice.

we must invade.
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: MetalDog on June 29, 2013, 10:28:07 PM
If you're goiing to invade, at least have a better reason than a banned video game.  Coming for your hot chicks with awesome accents.  Or to meet Crocodile Dundee.  Or to make them take back Outback Steakhouse.
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: Swatter on June 29, 2013, 11:17:00 PM
I thought it was America who was conservative!

Whats wrong with Outback?
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: LongBlade on June 29, 2013, 11:20:27 PM
Quote from: Swatter on June 29, 2013, 11:17:00 PM
Whats wrong with Outback?

They fry their steaks.
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: GDS_Starfury on June 29, 2013, 11:25:11 PM
liberation.  she needs it.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fonline-celebrity.com%2Findex_bestanden%2Fnicky-whelan.jpg&hash=6e85972f71067384bb3a9b0fa13e771f88be3bea)
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: MetalDog on June 30, 2013, 12:05:42 AM
Quote from: Swatter on June 29, 2013, 11:17:00 PM
Whats wrong with Outback?

I had crappy service at the one here locally.  And I feel they are overpriced.
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: bob48 on June 30, 2013, 06:22:33 AM
^^It looks very nice...down under......
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: undercovergeek on June 30, 2013, 06:35:52 AM
i think it was the anal probing weapon in SR4 that did it!
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: bob48 on June 30, 2013, 06:47:13 AM
Too much info.....
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: Tpek on June 30, 2013, 09:18:57 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on June 29, 2013, 10:28:07 PM
If you're goiing to invade, at least have a better reason than a banned video game.  Coming for your hot chicks with awesome accents.  Or to meet Crocodile Dundee.  Or to make them take back Outback Steakhouse.

The actor who playd Crocodile Dundee has already passed away.

In any case, what do you expect them to do? allow fun video games in Australia? it's supposed to be a penal colony after all! :P
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: Huw the Poo on June 30, 2013, 09:33:24 AM
Quote from: Tpek on June 30, 2013, 09:18:57 AM
The actor who playd Crocodile Dundee has already passed away.

I'm sure he'd be quite sad to hear that...
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: Martok on June 30, 2013, 11:12:28 AM
Wow.  I guess forcing Aussies to pay a hundred bucks for a game wasn't killing the industry fast enough down there.  :( 




Quote from: MetalDog on June 29, 2013, 10:28:07 PM
If you're goiing to invade, at least have a better reason than a banned video game.  Coming for your hot chicks with awesome accents. 
Only if we're bringing them back here.  I ain't staying on a continent where virtually all the native flora & fauna (http://www.cracked.com/funny-163-australia/) is hell-bent on killing us (http://now.msn.com/australia-is-scary-a-gallery-of-terrifying-photos). 

Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: Staggerwing on June 30, 2013, 12:05:13 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 30, 2013, 09:33:24 AM
Quote from: Tpek on June 30, 2013, 09:18:57 AM
The actor who playd Crocodile Dundee has already passed away.

I'm sure he'd be quite sad to hear that...

So would Linda Kozlowski...
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: Tpek on June 30, 2013, 12:28:05 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 30, 2013, 09:33:24 AM
Quote from: Tpek on June 30, 2013, 09:18:57 AM
The actor who playd Crocodile Dundee has already passed away.

I'm sure he'd be quite sad to hear that...

He's still alive?!
I've read about his apparent demise years ago...
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: undercovergeek on June 30, 2013, 01:15:35 PM
the 'real' one has died
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: son_of_montfort on June 30, 2013, 02:34:36 PM
Paul Hogan is still alive and 73. Rodney Ansell (the inspiration for "Crocodile" Dundee) died decades ago in a police shootout.

How does Australia enforce these laws, with Digital Downloads being so ubiquitous? I thought I read that Gamersgate or Steam or GoG.com (can't remember which), basically ignored the Australian regionalization laws, stating that Australia had no right to force them to limit access. Seems like I remember that from somewhere.
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: SgtRock on June 30, 2013, 07:12:13 PM
Maybe they should just ban books, movies/TV and that internet thing, that would do it! ::)
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: Kushan on June 30, 2013, 09:32:00 PM
Quote
We've run afoul of certain prohibitions regarding the depiction of drug use. We're working with Microsoft to come up with options, including changing names of certain medications in the game to comply with ratings requirements. Whatever our path forward, it's going to take a bit.

I know this is frustrating – believe me, we're frustrated too – but each country has the right to set its own rules about content, and it's our responsibility to comply with them. Rest assured we'll do everything we can to find a way to get the game into your hands. Stay tuned.

Original Undead Labs Forum Post
http://forums.undeadlabs.com/showthread.php?26404-Update-on-Australian-release (http://forums.undeadlabs.com/showthread.php?26404-Update-on-Australian-release)
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: LongBlade on June 30, 2013, 10:06:57 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on June 30, 2013, 07:12:13 PM
Maybe they should just ban books, movies/TV and that internet thing, that would do it! ::)


"The best books... are those that tell you what you know already."
― George Orwell, 1984

Maybe the best games are ones we've already finished?
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: bob48 on July 01, 2013, 12:49:24 PM
The logic being that they were so good that we played them to a conclusion?
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: W8taminute on July 01, 2013, 01:36:11 PM
This is absolutely absurd and I pray that type of banning never happens in the USA.  (although the communist are well on their way to subjugating us sheeple quite nicely and I fear we're past the point of no return)  [sorry for that previous statement but I'm really angered at all this repression and the govt telling me what I can and can not do!!!!!!!!!!!!]


There is very little if any drug references in State of Decay.  I know because I've played and finished this game.  If anything, the amount of swearing and curse words may be a bit excessive but other than that there is nothing wrong with this game. 
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: Nefaro on July 01, 2013, 02:00:56 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on July 01, 2013, 01:36:11 PM
.. I'm really angered at all this repression and the govt telling me what I can and can not do!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fully agree. 

While there's always been censorship supporters in gov't here, the way some things have been going lately I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were attempting to skirt a congressional vote and attempting to push it through as some decree via Agency/Department/'Czar' of appointees. 

An even bigger one to watch is the constant battle for "Net neutrality" and gov't strong-arming on behalf of a handful of industries.  There is some congressman proposing this crap every few months and the only reason it's been shot down is the internet activism it dredges up once the population gets wind of it.  Remember that last big nastiness where Google, Wikipedia, etc stood against them?  When was that?  Last year?  There will be more, as surely as the sun rises.

Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 01, 2013, 03:48:52 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on June 29, 2013, 10:28:07 PMOr to make them take back Outback Steakhouse.

Why would you force Australia to take "back" a restaurant chain that's based in Tampa?
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 01, 2013, 03:54:44 PM
So it's Starfury's fault the Bloomin' Onion is a thing?
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: MetalDog on July 02, 2013, 05:55:11 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 01, 2013, 03:48:52 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on June 29, 2013, 10:28:07 PMOr to make them take back Outback Steakhouse.

Why would you force Australia to take "back" a restaurant chain that's based in Tampa?

It sounded like fit punishment for the bad experience I had there with wait staff and food.  Plus, I'll never have to hear the phrase, "shrimp on the barbie," done in a bad accent again :)
Title: Re: Australia Bans Video Games
Post by: LongBlade on July 02, 2013, 08:06:46 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 01, 2013, 03:54:44 PM
So it's Starfury's fault the Bloomin' Onion is a thing?

Yes.