GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Grim.Reaper on July 08, 2013, 04:37:09 PM

Title: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 08, 2013, 04:37:09 PM
Well, family and I just got back from our summer vacation where we went down to Virginia to the Williamsburg/Virginia Beach area, it was great.  What I didn't expect is a history lesson along the way while we drove there and back.  Although I should have already known this from my fascination with the American Civil War, it is stunning how many battlefields we came across during our drive.  It seemed like we couldn't travel very far without seeing a sign for a battlefield.  I am sure I am missing some but drove by (or at least in reasonable distance) Gettysburg, Antietam, Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg, Richmond, Williamsburg, New Market, Shenandoah, Cold Harbor, Hampton Roads, Manassas, Spotsylvania, Petersburg, Yorktown, etc.  I am sure I saw some more, but those are the ones I can most remember.  Of course I knew of these battles, but until I drove by them, really didn't dawn on me where they were and how close they were.  Sadly, the family was in no mood to stop and actually tour any of the battlefields (except we did visit Williamsburg and Yorktown, but from the perspective of colonial times).  I am hoping some day to actually visit them.

So why I am I posting this in the computer games thread?  After being bombarded with that kind of history, it has gotten me back in the mood for some good American Civil War games.  I am trying to figure out which one(s) I should focus on and trying to determine if I have missed any ACW games out there.  Below is a list of ACW games I know exist, but I am sure I have missed some.  However, I have requirements:)  Can't be such an old game where it was for DOS and emulator is required, minimally has to run on Windows 95.  Can't be an console game or a mobile device game.  Although some add-ons, mods, DLC, might have ACW content, more focusing on games specifically created for ACW.

So, have I missed any ACW gems out there?  Or is this about it?

I am thinking mostly of getting some time back with Sid Meir's games (if I can get to work), Scourge of War, and the HPS games....


** Means I actually already own it

Grand Strategy
American Civil War: The Blue and the Gray **
Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 **
Gary Grigsby's War Between the States **
American Civil War: From Sumter to Appomattox **
Robert E. Lee: Civil War General
Civil War Generals 2

Real-time Strategy
Sid Meier's Gettysburg **
Sid Meier's Antietam! **

Scourge of War: Gettysburg **
Scourge of War: Chancellorsville **
Scourge of War: Antietam **
Scourge of War: Brandy Station **
Scourge of War: Pipe Creek **

Take Command: 2nd Manassas **
Take Command: Bull Run **

Turn Based Operational/Tactical
Campaign Corinth **
Campaign Ozark **
Campaign Shiloh
Campaign Franklin
Campaign Peninsula
Campaign Gettysburg
Campaign Vicksburg
Campaign Atlanta
Campaign Chickamauga
Campaign Antietam
Campaign Chancellorsville
Campaign Overland

John Tiller's Battleground Civil War **

Fight for the Heights (Whitedog Games, doesn't appear to be available anymore)

Gettysburg (Hendrickson Software)

Other
The Bluecoats - North vs South
History Channel Civil War: Secret Missions
Gettysburg American Civil War
History Channel's Civil War: The Game - Great Battles
Mosby's Confederacy
Iron Clads
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: Toonces on July 08, 2013, 05:04:43 PM
I don't see how you can go wrong with the Scourge of War series.  That is some serious meat there and with the quick battles option you have unlimited replayability at whatever level of command you're comfortable with.  That would be my choice #1.

I have HPS Gettysburg and it seems very meaty as well.  However, it requires a lot of micromanagement (move every unit individually) and I've never been a fan of the HPS UI. 

AGEOD's Civil War confounds me, but I know it's a good game if you can figure it out.

Those are my choices, in order, of what you should concentrate on.
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: bob48 on July 08, 2013, 05:10:06 PM
Out of all those, I only have 'Take command - 2nd Manassas' but I would certainly like to get all the Scourge of War games, especially the one on Antietam, a battle which has long fascinated me.
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: bbmike on July 08, 2013, 05:11:37 PM
I used to play No Greater Glory (http://videogamegeek.com/videogame/84156/no-greater-glory-the-american-civil-war) back in the day. I never won the game but I remember playing it a lot. Of the ones you listed my favorite ones are Forge of Freedom and AGEOD'S American Civil War (AACW). Forge of Freedom is actually my all time favorite (I love the tactical battles in FoF).
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: Rayfer on July 08, 2013, 05:21:41 PM
Toonces comment: "AGEOD's Civil War confounds me, but I know it's a good game if you can figure it out"  has often been expressed by others in these forums. I feel exactly the same way. There is another active thread running now about which Ageod game is the easiest to learn.  But, regarding the original post, my pick is Forge of Freedom in the grand strategy list and Scourge of War in the RTS. 
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 08, 2013, 05:29:08 PM
Thank guys, just curious, anybody still playing the Sid Meir games?   I own it, but still looking for the darn CDs:)  Saw an old review of it recently and it seemed to get very high marks.  I originally got it as part of some bundle which at the time I did not really play so didn't spend much time.  If I remember correctly, the game seemed to run very fast and was a little difficult to control, likely because of the CPU power available nowadays.  Not sure if a patch was ever released to help minimize that.  I'll have to dig up those disks:)

SOW is certainly on my list too...only thing I have never really liked about the series is the fact that for the scenarios you are forced to always play just one side...you can't switch, unless I somehow missed it....I can't bring myself to play as the Rebs:)  Plus, when you get to the corp and division size games, can be a little tough to control.  But don't get me wrong, I do like the series.

As for ACW, count me in as someone confused...but to be honest, all the strategy ones including FOF confuse me...which is a shame, since I would love to play at that level....hoping ACW 2 goes a long way to make it easier.

As for HPS, I remember playing them when they were Talonsoft.....simply loved them back then.  Graphics stink and some say the AI is easy, but for me it always gives me a fight.  If anybody owns any of them and no longer want them for a reasonable price, I might consider taking them off your hands:)
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: mikeck on July 08, 2013, 05:56:43 PM
Definitely play "Scourge of War". With the new gold addition, you get Gettysburg, Chancellorsville (so Wilderness as well), and Antietam. Also has a sandbox mode where you can play any sized battle with any sized command with any of the OOBs on any map!

If you like big battles but find corp control difficult, then in sandbox mode select "corp v corp" or "army v army" . Then select a division to command in the OOB. When It starts, you will be the division commander in a corp or army sized battle with an AI "boss issuing you orders"
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 08, 2013, 06:00:52 PM
Quote from: mikeck on July 08, 2013, 05:56:43 PM
Definitely play "Scourge of War". With the new gold addition, you get Gettysburg, Chancellorsville (so Wilderness as well), and Antietam. Also has a sandbox mode where you can play any sized battle with any sized command with any of the OOBs on any map!

If you like big battles but find corp control difficult, then in sandbox mode select "corp v corp" or "army v army" . Then select a division to command in the OOB. When It starts, you will be the division commander in a corp or army sized battle with an AI "boss issuing you orders"

Can you also just select a brigade to command?  And does this only work in sandbox or could you also do it within the canned scenarios?  Would really like to remain at the brigade level when possible?
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: TheCommandTent on July 08, 2013, 06:42:37 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 08, 2013, 06:00:52 PM
Quote from: mikeck on July 08, 2013, 05:56:43 PM
Definitely play "Scourge of War". With the new gold addition, you get Gettysburg, Chancellorsville (so Wilderness as well), and Antietam. Also has a sandbox mode where you can play any sized battle with any sized command with any of the OOBs on any map!

If you like big battles but find corp control difficult, then in sandbox mode select "corp v corp" or "army v army" . Then select a division to command in the OOB. When It starts, you will be the division commander in a corp or army sized battle with an AI "boss issuing you orders"

Can you also just select a brigade to command?  And does this only work in sandbox or could you also do it within the canned scenarios?  Would really like to remain at the brigade level when possible?

You can select brigade command in sandbox, it is what I usually play at.  Scenarios have a set level that you command at which is state in the description.  As far as I know you can't change it, unless that has been modded.  However, some scenarios tread the same ground at different command levels.
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: mikeck on July 08, 2013, 06:48:33 PM
Yep. I love playing Army v Army on the big Gettysburg map and choosing to command a brigade. Really makes it feel like you are part of something big. Your area might be quiet and you will get an order to hold your position....after some time of nothingness, you will get a courier message from your AI division commander telling you to march to a specific location way off (maps are huge). Once you get there you will realize your are on the enemies flank... Then you get an order to attack. It's really immersive when you realize you are a cog in a larger AI flank attack!

Of course, with any Ai, sometimes you will scratch your head

Edit: it's also a blast when you are fighting and you send a courier message to your division commander asking for artillery support... 10 minutes later, artillery begins coming down o. Your enemy. Can't beat it
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 08, 2013, 07:00:26 PM
Going to have to try that in a sandbox game.....had the games for ages and didn't know that:)   I think I will try it first with Brandy Station for kicks.
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 08, 2013, 07:52:25 PM
Just tried a sandbox in Brandy Station....my general sent me to guard an objective on the left flank.......didn't really get any action, so I made my own by attacking nearby units:)  Although right after that I then did get orders to attack somewhere...should have been a little more patient:)

One question though....when the courier comes and gives me an order, they tell me the destination is marked on the map.  I believe the destination is the green star, is that correct?  If so, sometimes there are so many units on the map, the icons get covered up and I can't see it....any other way to know where my destination is?
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: jomni on July 08, 2013, 07:56:55 PM
You mussed this...

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Foldschoolgameblog.files.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F08%2Fnorth-south_003.png&hash=f3b5d2193dc49e160dfcb4fa9e75edafa7c83bd8)

http://oldschoolgameblog.com/2011/08/20/review-north-south-amiga-500-1989/

Played it to death wen I was a kid. Concept of turn based strategic + real time tactical predates Total War. This game deserves more recognition but no one takes it seriously for obvious reasons.
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 08, 2013, 08:02:02 PM
Quote from: jomni on July 08, 2013, 07:56:55 PM
You mussed this...

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Foldschoolgameblog.files.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F08%2Fnorth-south_003.png&hash=f3b5d2193dc49e160dfcb4fa9e75edafa7c83bd8)

http://oldschoolgameblog.com/2011/08/20/review-north-south-amiga-500-1989/

Played it to death wen I was a kid. Concept of turn based strategic + real time tactical predates Total War. This game deserves more recognition but no one takes it seriously for obvious reasons.

I believe this is the "The Bluecoats - North vs South" from my list...the more modern version that was release awhile ago:)
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: jomni on July 08, 2013, 08:02:53 PM
Ah I see.   
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: smittyohio on July 08, 2013, 09:04:07 PM
I just dowloaded the 1.5 demo, and tried a sandbox mode game.  I played a brigade commander in a corp-vs-corp game, and was not impressed by the AI or pathfinding.   Both sides pretty much had several large formations converge on a town, and just milled about within firing range of each other not doing anything (I was sent off to the extreme left flank).   Units were stuck in fences near the town...   Maybe it was just a bad setup... a town would probably not be an ideal to try to fight, but it sure thought it should.   Is this typical with sandbox mode, or is it just bad luck?
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 08, 2013, 09:10:38 PM
This is an intriguing title from my list about Gettysburg.....actually plays a lot like Command Ops where it is real-time and moves around counters and such.  Only costs $5....below is a link to a demo, however it does have annoying prompts that come up asking you to buy the game.  I have no idea how good the AI is and such, but seems interesting.  Some reason I think this game has been discussed somewhere before, but I might be dreaming it up:)  To be honest, if there was a true Command Ops style civil war game out there that was just as good, would be my dream come true...although this one looks like it, I am going to guess it is far from  it since rarely have heard about it.  Likely doesn't have the ultimate depth, but for $5, what would you expect:)

Demos
Mac - http://www.hendricom.com/downloads/GettysburgOSXIntel.zip
Windows - http://www.hendricom.com/downloads/GettysburgWindows.zip

Site to Buy
http://www.hendricom.com/
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: mikeck on July 08, 2013, 09:42:46 PM
Quote from: smittyohio on July 08, 2013, 09:04:07 PM
I just dowloaded the 1.5 demo, and tried a sandbox mode game.  I played a brigade commander in a corp-vs-corp game, and was not impressed by the AI or pathfinding.   Both sides pretty much had several large formations converge on a town, and just milled about within firing range of each other not doing anything (I was sent off to the extreme left flank).   Units were stuck in fences near the town...   Maybe it was just a bad setup... a town would probably not be an ideal to try to fight, but it sure thought it should.   Is this typical with sandbox mode, or is it just bad luck?

Can't really say. Sometimes it looks like a mob because the AI doesn't really see "lines". It sees a point that represents a unit and its direction. So when it moves its points that are displayed as lines, those lines overlap. The developers have improved on the shifting a lot but sometimes a regiment will sway back and forth deciding between two units.

Trust me though, this is the appearance. In reality, the Ai knows exactly what it is doing. Try commanding a division using couriers against the AI division...it's tough. I have not won a sandbox game yet while using couriers. If I turn them off so units respond instantly like Total War, I do ok.

You will never see straight battle lines facing each other across a field...but then again, the real battles were a cluster with friendly units firing into the flanks of other friendly units.

The game is designed to simulate command of large armies. It is not really designed to be aesthetically pleasing. If you keep that in mind, it's a fantastic game. I do understand your complaint though as sometimes I have looked at the screen And though "why are these two regiments facing one direction while an enemy regiment is firing at them. Many times, they are seeing something you aren't...it's in the code ( like a unit in the woods) but not displayed for some reason  (fog of war)
Sometimes though, I smack my forehead as a regiment stands there facing an enemy unit doing nothing.
Many people can't get past the appearance of utter randomness and confusion of some sandbox battles and I get it. But if you sit back and play the game as a command simulator where graphics are gravy, you may enjoy it more. For example: you tell Brigade commander Jones to move to The 1st wisconsin's left flank and to attack a specific point in support in 1 hour from a line formation...they will do it. The attack itself may look a bit odd at points... With a regiment hanging back or one facing the wrong way, but generally, the unit will attack as ordered even if it doesn't look like We want.

All of that said, if you want more organization, play a scenario. The scenarios are scripted for a large part (points of attack, counter attack. Etc) although small unit tactical movement never is. Because of this, the battles are much more organized. I suppose because the AI knows where it is supposed to go.

Edit: one more thing. Sometimes u it's will do nothing for a reason. The game calculates how to follow your (or AI) orders base on the stats of the commander. Order Barlow to probe only? Yeah, you can expect him to attack with everything he has and blow up his command. Tell another general to support Barlow's attack and be will do nothing because perhaps historically, the other general was incompetent with little initiative. To us, it looks like the AI is not working. But that's an element of realism. Not always the cause of AI weirdness but its there. I have a few divisions I always use in sandbox because I have come to learn how those generals will follow my orders
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 09, 2013, 07:53:57 AM
Played around more with Scourge last night as a brigade....does take patience.  Since your only controlling a small piece of the battle, your not always quickly added to the mayhem, which is very realistic, although people are likely used to always being thrown in right away.  I will continue to give it a go.  It does seem like my brigade is always asked to go sit on the left flank and wait versus direct orders to attack and such...maybe just coincidence.
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on July 09, 2013, 09:04:45 AM
Grim, have you played "Forge of Freedom" yet? I know you own it, but if you haven't played it yet, you're missing out on one of the best strategy games ever developed for the PC!
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 09, 2013, 09:20:13 AM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on July 09, 2013, 09:04:45 AM
Grim, have you played "Forge of Freedom" yet? I know you own it, but if you haven't played it yet, you're missing out on one of the best strategy games ever developed for the PC!

I have when it first released, but not sure I ever went back after all the patches were completed.  Just like acw by ageod, this one also had me confused.  If I remember correctly it had some container concept for organizing your armies ang just couldn't grasp it.  Maybe it is just me with these strategy games and trying to understand them:)  I'll try installing again to see if maybe clicks now.
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: Johnnie on July 09, 2013, 10:04:48 AM
Just had to chip in.  Forge of Freedom is one of my all time favorites.   Well done.
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: mikeck on July 09, 2013, 10:08:18 AM
Grim. Try playing a division v division battle and play a brigade. That will get you in the battle quicker. I usually play a division commander in a corp v corp so I always get sent in. The lower you are on the totem pole, the less you will do. Again ... Command simulation.

Have you tried some scenarios? Many brigade sized scenarios and you are guaranteed action!!

Also, the game is not for everyone. There are plenty of reasons not to like it so I never argue with those who don't care for it. For me though, there is no more accurate simulation of unit command in 18th-19th century warfare.
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 09, 2013, 11:07:24 AM
Quote from: mikeck on July 09, 2013, 10:08:18 AM
Grim. Try playing a division v division battle and play a brigade. That will get you in the battle quicker. I usually play a division commander in a corp v corp so I always get sent in. The lower you are on the totem pole, the less you will do. Again ... Command simulation.

Have you tried some scenarios? Many brigade sized scenarios and you are guaranteed action!!

Also, the game is not for everyone. There are plenty of reasons not to like it so I never argue with those who don't care for it. For me though, there is no more accurate simulation of unit command in 18th-19th century warfare.

Don't get me wrong....not at all saying the game is not for me, I own every version of it back from the Take Command days.  I love the fact you are part of a bigger picture.  Just trying to feel my way around since even though owning it all this time, I have never fully immersed myself.  I have tried some of the scenarios and there good, just wish I was able to choose the side to play during the scenarios versus being forced to play one or the other.
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: mikeck on July 09, 2013, 12:53:08 PM
Yes, me too. Many scenarios have both sides but not all. I agree and I wish I could choose which level to command... Although I suspect that would make the script meaningless
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: mikeck on July 09, 2013, 12:55:02 PM
Quote from: smittyohio on July 08, 2013, 09:04:07 PM
I just dowloaded the 1.5 demo, and tried a sandbox mode game.  I played a brigade commander in a corp-vs-corp game, and was not impressed by the AI or pathfinding.   Both sides pretty much had several large formations converge on a town, and just milled about within firing range of each other not doing anything (I was sent off to the extreme left flank).   Units were stuck in fences near the town...   Maybe it was just a bad setup... a town would probably not be an ideal to try to fight, but it sure thought it should.   Is this typical with sandbox mode, or is it just bad luck?

Smitty, check the matrix site. I believe that 1.6 is the newest patch. It fixes a lot of cavalry issues and some Ai issues. Not everything of course.  Can get it by logging onto matrix and going to the downloads area
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: Compass Rose on July 10, 2013, 09:31:04 AM
The only ACW games I own and play are John Tiller HPS and JTS games and from my POV the only way to play them is via PBEM.

If you enjoy playing computer games that use counters to show the units on the map, and enjoy playing in 2D view, you would be hard pressed to find a more enjoyable series.

John Tiller HPS & JTS games have the best customer service (in case you need it) and it is normally very easy to find forum board help to any in-game questions that come up.  What makes these games stand above the rest is that they are still all 100% supported, even their games that were released 10-12+ years ago.

The real "deal maker" for me is that I can play his HPS/JTS games with no problems on my 7-8 year old computer that runs WinXP.  I also can still play their most recent releases with no problems. 

Many moons ago, I use to find myself in the never ending sega of having to upgrade my computer every time a new game came out that I wanted to play.  After getting burnt too many times, I decided to stick with the "old school" games that don't have all of the chrome and bells and whistles that new games have however, at least I know they will work and I won't be wasting $30-$40 when I buy a game.

Also, in case you like to use art mods, John Tiller HPS/JTS games are very art mod friendly and most of the games can be played without you being required to have the game cd in the drive (They will eventually all be this way).

Another nice feature is that with the newer game updates, the game manuals are in PDF form which means that you can easily upload them to a smart phone.  So now whenever you have some down time, and you are not at home, you can very easily read the manuals without being forced to sit in front of your computer or having to lug around a 200+ page out-of-date game manual.

As a owner of over 60+ John Tiller HPS/JTS titles, I can't recommend his games enough.   My two favorite series of his is ACW and NAP.

BTW, you forgot to include Overland  in your John Tiller list.  ;)

http://johntillersoftware.com/CivilWarBattles/CampaignOverland.html (http://johntillersoftware.com/CivilWarBattles/CampaignOverland.html)
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: bboyer66 on July 10, 2013, 12:10:35 PM
Never was a fan of Forge of Freedom reasons being

AI in the tactical battles was just plain horrific.

The tactical battles in no way resembled what actually happened on an actual Civil War battlefield.

  At the Strategic level it was more like managing a database than playing a game. Really, I need to purchase individual cannons and muskets to arm my troops?

Also at the strategic level there was also no room for maneuver. An example being that I believe there was only one province/area separating Washington DC from Richmond. So anything resembling strategy and maneuver at the strategic level was thrown out the window.

Most of all it just had no feel for the time period whatsoever.

While I applaud the developers ambitions, I felt the game just fell flat on its face when it came to the execution of their ideas.

Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: Johnnie on July 10, 2013, 01:09:59 PM
bboyer:

Can't disagree with you more:

Tactical AI, certainly beatable but no worse than most games (and much, much harder to beat when invading an enemy province, as per history.  As the Union, I have given up early war invasions in the East.);
Strategic options very close to those of the actual war;
The games positively drips with atmosphere, put on some good period music and you're there.

It's funny how people can have opposite reactions to the same game/simulation.
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: bbmike on July 10, 2013, 02:38:38 PM
Good news for everyone who liked Forge of Freedom. WCS will be unveiling their next American Civil War game Brother Against Brother at Historicon! Here's the announcement (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3356633) from the Matrix forum.
I've been waiting for this to release since it was announced!
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: bboyer66 on July 10, 2013, 03:02:05 PM
Virginia in AGEOD Civil War
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ageod-forum.com%2Fattachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D13225%26amp%3Bd%3D1289527746&hash=bd514154f8703ebb9174fa59d7aff2c91ea2fdeb)


Virginia in Forge of Freedom
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg176.imageshack.us%2Fimg176%2F9924%2Ffofeastof0.jpg&hash=7196b3e131b163a51a220b1bbf87647fe1c03b10)

Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: TheCommandTent on July 10, 2013, 03:47:42 PM
Quote from: bbmike on July 10, 2013, 02:38:38 PM
Good news for everyone who liked Forge of Freedom. WCS will be unveiling their next American Civil War game Brother Against Brother at Historicon! Here's the announcement (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3356633) from the Matrix forum.
I've been waiting for this to release since it was announced!

Been waiting a while for this one.  Hopefully they have it done soon.
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 10, 2013, 05:41:36 PM
Quote from: Compass Rose on July 10, 2013, 09:31:04 AM
The only ACW games I own and play are John Tiller HPS and JTS games and from my POV the only way to play them is via PBEM.

If you enjoy playing computer games that use counters to show the units on the map, and enjoy playing in 2D view, you would be hard pressed to find a more enjoyable series.

John Tiller HPS & JTS games have the best customer service (in case you need it) and it is normally very easy to find forum board help to any in-game questions that come up.  What makes these games stand above the rest is that they are still all 100% supported, even their games that were released 10-12+ years ago.

The real "deal maker" for me is that I can play his HPS/JTS games with no problems on my 7-8 year old computer that runs WinXP.  I also can still play their most recent releases with no problems. 

Many moons ago, I use to find myself in the never ending sega of having to upgrade my computer every time a new game came out that I wanted to play.  After getting burnt too many times, I decided to stick with the "old school" games that don't have all of the chrome and bells and whistles that new games have however, at least I know they will work and I won't be wasting $30-$40 when I buy a game.

Also, in case you like to use art mods, John Tiller HPS/JTS games are very art mod friendly and most of the games can be played without you being required to have the game cd in the drive (They will eventually all be this way).

Another nice feature is that with the newer game updates, the game manuals are in PDF form which means that you can easily upload them to a smart phone.  So now whenever you have some down time, and you are not at home, you can very easily read the manuals without being forced to sit in front of your computer or having to lug around a 200+ page out-of-date game manual.

As a owner of over 60+ John Tiller HPS/JTS titles, I can't recommend his games enough.   My two favorite series of his is ACW and NAP.

BTW, you forgot to include Overland  in your John Tiller list.  ;)

http://johntillersoftware.com/CivilWarBattles/CampaignOverland.html (http://johntillersoftware.com/CivilWarBattles/CampaignOverland.html)

Thanks!  Can't believe I forgot Overland.....now corrected:)
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: Toonces on July 10, 2013, 08:49:57 PM
You know, Bboyer has a point...   8)
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: Queeg on July 10, 2013, 09:17:47 PM
Quote from: Toonces on July 10, 2013, 08:49:57 PM
You know, Bboyer has a point...   8)

I played FoF a lot when it first came out but dropped it when AACW was released, mainly for the reason Bboyer notes.  I recently gave FoF another try, which just reconfirmed my original impression.  The map in AACW is far superior.
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: mikeck on July 10, 2013, 09:43:44 PM
I never cared for FoF. My complaint was that strategic movement or logistical errors that would kill you in real life (or other games like AACW or GGWbtS) could be overcome in a tactical battle because of the weak AI. So if I had a bad general assigned to under supplies troops and moved them to attack in bad terrain...I could still win. In essence, decisions made at the strategic level were meaningless because I could just win all of the battles.

I learned years ago though, there are fans of each of then big three strategic ACW games though and all have arguments why the one they like is better
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: bbmike on July 11, 2013, 06:11:50 AM
Tactical battles in Forge of Freedom
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aarcentral.com%2Fpics%2FFoFbattle.JPG&hash=ba7b0713e7a13d809aae6bb26c635b1fb3c8d50e)

Tactical battles in AGEOD Civil War
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aarcentral.com%2Fpics%2FAACWbattle.jpg&hash=faba73d923fb373a8ad487fa2706951ea2939eed)

:P
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: JudgeDredd on July 11, 2013, 06:39:26 AM
I totally loved Forge of Freedom - unfortunately they never did do anything to support higher res so it looks a wee bit butt ugly

^ That's a good screenshot and looks pretty crisp - not like how I remembered it from a few months ago!
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: bboyer66 on July 11, 2013, 08:44:19 AM
Quote from: bbmike on July 11, 2013, 06:11:50 AM
Tactical battles in Forge of Freedom
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aarcentral.com%2Fpics%2FFoFbattle.JPG&hash=ba7b0713e7a13d809aae6bb26c635b1fb3c8d50e)

Tactical battles in AGEOD Civil War
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aarcentral.com%2Fpics%2FAACWbattle.jpg&hash=faba73d923fb373a8ad487fa2706951ea2939eed)

:P

I really wanted to like the tactical battles but the AI was just so brain dead. Not to mention you take away the variables of a generals talent. In Ageods Civil War if I fight General Lee with 120, 000 troops under McClellan and Lee has 70,000 troops, good chance I will lose that battle. In Forge of Freedom, I win every time.
 
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: JudgeDredd on July 11, 2013, 08:57:51 AM
^I must've really sucked at that game then - because I often lost  :D
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: Toonces on July 11, 2013, 09:13:31 PM
Sorry for the quick thread hijack, but @Judge Dredd, did you kill me about a half dozen times last night in Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm?  There was a JudgeDredd on last night that kept whacking me and I was curious if it was you.

[/hijack off]
Title: Re: American Civil War Games: My interest again peaked....
Post by: JudgeDredd on July 12, 2013, 12:27:31 AM
lol Toonces - that was me!  :)

No - it wasn't really - I suck at pretty much all games - and I don't have Red Orchestra because I have such a hangup about playing online (because I suck)