GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Nikodil on July 11, 2013, 01:20:35 PM

Title: Looking for operational ancient or medieval game
Post by: Nikodil on July 11, 2013, 01:20:35 PM
Hello all Grogheads!

There seem to be a lot of games dealing with either tactical level warfare or grand strategy (or both, as in Total War). But is there anything out there dealing with operational strategy and logistics in either ancient or medieval setting? Such as a short campaign during a single season in say ancient greece or feudal japan. I had in mind computer games, but board game suggestions are welcome too.
Title: Re: Looking for operational ancient or medieval game
Post by: Barthheart on July 11, 2013, 01:27:50 PM
How about Hegemony: Gold

http://www.longbowgames.com/hegemony/

There's even a demo to try out.

Logistics is a big part of this game.
Title: Re: Looking for operational ancient or medieval game
Post by: Nefaro on July 11, 2013, 02:06:20 PM
Alea Jacta Est and Birth of Rome is right down that alley.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/445/details/Alea.Jacta.Est

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/460/details/Birth.of.Rome

Hegemony: Gold is a fun grand strategy game but it's not as detailed in the warfare department.  Still worth a play.

Title: Re: Looking for operational ancient or medieval game
Post by: Kushan on July 11, 2013, 02:15:42 PM
I second the recommendation for Hegemony: Gold and AJE/BOR. All 3 are really great games. Although it should be noted that Hegemony is both grand strategy and tactical like Total War. But unlike Total War there is no split between the tactical and strategics maps.
Title: Re: Looking for operational ancient or medieval game
Post by: spelk on July 11, 2013, 02:16:17 PM
I'd +1 Nefaro's AGEOD suggestions.. plus I'd also include the likes of Magitech's Strength and Honor Roman games

http://www.ezgame.com/Mobile/page_PC_Games/

They have a strategic/operational level of play, along with a tactical mode like Total War.., plus they do Sango/Takeda Japanese stuff.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ezgame.com%2FSNH%2FImages%2Fscreenshots%2Fworld%2Fsea_battle.jpg&hash=72093ecc016c64428080fadd56a5cd83bbcd10e1)

Perhaps Anguille (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=260) would have more to say on the matter though.
Title: Re: Looking for operational ancient or medieval game
Post by: Yskonyn on July 11, 2013, 02:33:09 PM
Wasn't S&H 2 considered a big letdown by Groghead denizens?
Title: Re: Looking for operational ancient or medieval game
Post by: Nikodil on July 11, 2013, 03:43:37 PM
Hegemony: Gold might be what I'm looking for. I see it's on summer sale for 3.74 € on steam so I'll give it a try.
Title: Re: Looking for operational ancient or medieval game
Post by: mikeck on July 11, 2013, 04:20:26 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on July 11, 2013, 02:33:09 PM
Wasn't S&H 2 considered a big letdown by Groghead denizens?

You know I had actually bought and played strength and honor before. I remember the graphics weren't  great because the resolution was Set low but I don't really remember why I didn't like it. frankly I don't remember why anyone doesn't like it. looking at the site it looks like a great game not sure why it wasn't popular
Title: Re: Looking for operational ancient or medieval game
Post by: spelk on July 11, 2013, 04:23:25 PM
I think the tactical battles were accomplished with 2d sprites... but that hasn't done Dominions 3 any harm. :)
Title: Re: Looking for operational ancient or medieval game
Post by: Wolfe1759 on July 11, 2013, 04:48:25 PM
Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War might be an idea though it does lean more towards the strategic.

Title: Re: Looking for operational ancient or medieval game
Post by: Gusington on July 11, 2013, 07:28:51 PM
+10 to Hegemony Gold...I'm not that into ancient Greece but I got totally immersed in Hegemony Gold for 2-3 weeks.
Title: Re: Looking for operational ancient or medieval game
Post by: mikeck on July 11, 2013, 07:48:16 PM
Quote from: spelk on July 11, 2013, 04:23:25 PM
I think the tactical battles were accomplished with 2d sprites... but that hasn't done Dominions 3 any harm. :)

Yeah, that's true. Lately between Dominons and Moo3, I've gotten used to crappu graphics. Never cared for Hegemony but might have to give Strength and Honor another shot
Title: Re: Looking for operational ancient or medieval game
Post by: LongBlade on July 11, 2013, 08:17:37 PM
Quote from: Nikodil on July 11, 2013, 03:43:37 PM
Hegemony: Gold might be what I'm looking for. I see it's on summer sale for 3.74 € on steam so I'll give it a try.

Go for it. It's well worth that kind of money.
Title: Re: Looking for operational ancient or medieval game
Post by: Nefaro on July 11, 2013, 08:25:41 PM
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on July 11, 2013, 04:48:25 PM
Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War might be an idea though it does lean more towards the strategic.

I greatly enjoyed this game.  Partially because it's loosely based on an old tabletop wargame and plays like one.  Another reason is that the AI will stomp you.  The price of such a nice AI challenge being that you can only play from the Carthaginian side and it's single-player only, as that was the focus.  I highly recommend it for these reasons (and the art/map style and music is quite nice too!).

I can't wait to see what the developer cooks up for his next game, which will be a multi-sided affair covering a similar period.

Who knows?  Maybe Matrix will have it on one of their weekly sales before long, if it's too pricey for you?
Title: Re: Looking for operational ancient or medieval game
Post by: besilarius on July 11, 2013, 09:18:29 PM
Just to give it a try, there is a Strength and Honor 2 demo at the magitech website, or gamershell.org