GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Windigo on July 22, 2013, 11:46:01 AM

Title: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Windigo on July 22, 2013, 11:46:01 AM
Empire/Leader

1st two policies

Victory Type

Hiawatha
Liberty & Rationalism
Science
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 22, 2013, 11:47:53 AM
Inca / Peru
Liberty & Commerce
Culture
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Windigo on July 22, 2013, 11:48:51 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 22, 2013, 11:47:53 AM
Inca / Peru
Liberty & Commerce
Culture

Nice... be cool to play on a huge epic scale map with you
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: eyebiter on July 22, 2013, 12:32:38 PM
Rome
Tradition and Commerce
Cultural

Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Gusington on July 22, 2013, 07:42:56 PM
Morocco.
Order and rationalism (IIRC).
Cultural...if I can swing it.
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: son_of_montfort on July 22, 2013, 08:58:11 PM
Venice (a weird game style, but so very rewarding)
Liberty and Aesthetics (new in the expansion)
Cultural all the way, baby.

Before Brave New World:
Rome
Liberty and Tradition
Science
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: TheCommandTent on July 22, 2013, 09:03:10 PM
Germans (although the Shoshone in BNW are fun)
Honor and Tradition
Domination
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 23, 2013, 11:18:31 AM
something I'm noticing with BNW...

it doesn't hurt to make one of your first 1-2 policies to be the baseline adoption of Honor.  Given the greater incidents of CanadiansBarbarians in BNW, the combat bonus is helpful, but what *really* makes a difference is the culture bonus you gain from killing them.  I think it *really* made a difference in the Venice game I'm playing now, where I was able to get a lot more culture built up early, without having to resort to adopting Tradition as a policy.  Depending on your game, you might not go beyond that baseline of Honor, but it really helps to get that one in.
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Barthheart on July 23, 2013, 11:22:39 AM
^ Yep, I've noticed this too. I've started taking that policy to start, finding a couple of Barb camps and farming them for culture. Don't kill the camp right away but farm a few units off of it, then kill it and move to another camp that is causing you more trouble.
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: son_of_montfort on July 23, 2013, 03:56:22 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 23, 2013, 11:22:39 AM
^ Yep, I've noticed this too. I've started taking that policy to start, finding a couple of Barb camps and farming them for culture. Don't kill the camp right away but farm a few units off of it, then kill it and move to another camp that is causing you more trouble.

That is way too "gamey" for me.

I've been trying to get into the military civs, but I always end up with culture and wonders. I think this is because the early game sieges require such a huge military commitment.
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Windigo on July 23, 2013, 04:16:12 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on July 23, 2013, 03:56:22 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 23, 2013, 11:22:39 AM
^ Yep, I've noticed this too. I've started taking that policy to start, finding a couple of Barb camps and farming them for culture. Don't kill the camp right away but farm a few units off of it, then kill it and move to another camp that is causing you more trouble.

That is way too "gamey" for me.

I've been trying to get into the military civs, but I always end up with culture and wonders. I think this is because the early game sieges require such a huge military commitment.

I love being next to a hawkish leader, they usually give me an excuse to grab one or two of their cities without any social/cultural penalty from other leaders ... other than the unhappyness aspect... just chose a few happy religious benefits to offset
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: mikeck on July 23, 2013, 09:18:04 PM
William of Orange
Liberty and Commerce
Military conquest (what's all this "culture" crap)

Rolling in production and gold
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Gusington on July 24, 2013, 07:38:25 AM
You're still talking about Civ right?

Civ is one of the few games that makes.me feel bad about being a military bully. I don't know why...
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: eyebiter on July 24, 2013, 10:14:21 AM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on July 23, 2013, 03:56:22 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 23, 2013, 11:22:39 AM
^ Yep, I've noticed this too. I've started taking that policy to start, finding a couple of Barb camps and farming them for culture. Don't kill the camp right away but farm a few units off of it, then kill it and move to another camp that is causing you more trouble.

That is way too "gamey" for me.

I've been trying to get into the military civs, but I always end up with culture and wonders. I think this is because the early game sieges require such a huge military commitment.

Have the best luck early with Germany.  50% chance of getting a free unit when you capture a barbarian camp. Once you get three archers and several warriors attack in the ancient era. Go after player cities first, press minors for tribute (gold or workers) first, then attack later.. Usually puppet to keep down unhappiness.
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: mikeck on July 24, 2013, 02:33:48 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 24, 2013, 07:38:25 AM
You're still talking about Civ right?

Civ is one of the few games that makes.me feel bad about being a military bully. I don't know why...

Bah! Just like Jello...there's always room for military conquest.
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Nefaro on July 24, 2013, 05:48:54 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 24, 2013, 07:38:25 AM
You're still talking about Civ right?

Civ is one of the few games that makes.me feel bad about being a military bully. I don't know why...


I agree with Gus.  I generally don't feel inclined to go a-conquering in Civ.  I don't think I've ever initiated a war with the AI.. ever.  There's always some that wanna War me, however, so that's how I end up expanding by force.
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Steelgrave on July 24, 2013, 06:39:51 PM
Whereas one of my common initial strategies is to jump on my nearest neighbor whenever the opportunity to capture a couple of workers first arises. I send them back to improve my starting city and build a couple more troops and maybe a settler to keep the pressure on. Doesn't matter whether I end up taking him out or we make peace, he almost never recovers and at least one of my closest neighbors is weaker than I throughout most of the game.

Of course, this works better against some civs than others  ;)
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Gusington on July 24, 2013, 07:35:59 PM
^Feel at all guilty about that? You don't have to answer :)
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: mikeck on July 24, 2013, 07:51:20 PM
Every building I construct, every field I plow and every tech I research is simply an additional tool to building a better army. I don't enjoy the early-middle ages stuff. So I build and expand through culture and exploration. Once I get gunpowder though, I'm off. I play on the archipelago map so it's all about building huge navies to blow crap up.
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Steelgrave on July 24, 2013, 08:51:12 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 24, 2013, 07:35:59 PM
^Feel at all guilty about that? You don't have to answer :)

It's all I know, Gus....I once won a culture victory by using the French, which only reinforced my distaste for them  8)
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Gusington on July 24, 2013, 08:52:39 PM
HAHA!
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 24, 2013, 09:20:29 PM
I won a Civ5 game with a culture victory as the French, without ever actually going to war against anyone but barbarians ;D
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: TheCommandTent on July 24, 2013, 09:24:53 PM
I am a bit surprised there are some many Civ pacifist around here.  I am unashamedly a warmonger.  I once one a game with the space race but other than that I live and die by the sword.
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Steelgrave on July 24, 2013, 09:59:03 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 24, 2013, 09:20:29 PM
I won a Civ5 game with a culture victory as the French, without ever actually going to war against anyone but barbarians ;D

Disgusting, isn't it?
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Kushan on July 24, 2013, 10:05:22 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 24, 2013, 09:20:29 PM
I won a Civ5 game with a culture victory as the French, without ever actually going to war against anyone but barbarians ;D

Probably a good thing. Your units would have surrendered at the first sign of battle.
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Steelgrave on July 24, 2013, 10:13:02 PM
^LMAO!

Well played, sir, well played....
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Barthheart on July 25, 2013, 05:00:30 AM
I usually avoid wars.... unless some other civ is really pissing me off.

Like Steelie though I'll poach workers from really close neighbors. I'll also attack settlers to hobble my competition and then not attack until they sue for peace.

Most of the game is peaceful expansion though.
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 25, 2013, 05:47:00 AM
I can get downright warlike when playing Smokey Skies, but otherwise, I just overwhelm folks with culture
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Windigo on July 25, 2013, 11:04:21 AM
the advantage of going for a science win is that you get all the cool toys first
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Windigo on July 29, 2013, 03:34:46 PM
WTF is going on here when I get a note from my diplomate saying that Austria married off one of her spawn to a City-State and that this forever ties the two together... incestuously no doubt
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 29, 2013, 03:37:09 PM
it's not like that Austrian special ability was a secret...  :o
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Windigo on July 29, 2013, 03:49:25 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 29, 2013, 03:37:09 PM
it's not like that Austrian special ability was a secret...  :o

needless detail..... two, three... maybe a dozen nukes and it'll be all for naught

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fgigaompaidcontent.files.wordpress.com%2F2012%2F04%2Fmushroom-cloud2-o.jpg%3Fw%3D708&hash=ef77ccf94183aec7fa8e26ccb00df6e5669a4eaf)
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: BanzaiCat on July 30, 2013, 05:21:33 PM
The AI was insane in Civ V and Civ V G&K; they're worse warmongerers than I. It's hard to not be tempted to take out a weak neighbor and eventually just say "ah screw it, Imma unite the world."

One thing I'm VERY pleased about with Brave New World is that the AI really seems to want to play nice and get along. I haven't had much time in these last few weeks since buying it but have played Poland and Morocco through to about mid-game; not one AI player has declared war on me yet (as opposed to three, four times in the other iterations).

In any case I'm liking the Poles a lot and Morocco as well. Like what Windigo says, one or two nukes can ruin any civ's day, and I admit my own genocidal tendencies usually surface about the time I build my first atom bomb. I can't help but to electronically cleanse a swath of the planet here and there. I guess I'm not suited for peace but I'm trying to learn through BNK.

Unless I'm neighbors with India, because screw those guys. Their civ was the first one to declare war on me in my first game of Civ V way back when. I thought, "Oh, how cute, it's Gandhi and he wants to be pals! He's so peaceful and nice and - WHATWHATWHAT?!? YOU ##$*$*!!!!"
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Gusington on July 30, 2013, 06:47:58 PM
^Same thing happened to me in vanilla Civ V. In more than one game I was fought to a stalemate with...Ghandi.
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Windigo on July 30, 2013, 07:26:52 PM
Its all about the science... get them nukes and make like LB's chilie, - create a firestorm
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Gusington on July 30, 2013, 08:47:43 PM
^I am about to see how well that strategery works as the Byzantines against the Austrians in the Balkans, circa 1250AD.
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Windigo on July 30, 2013, 11:12:29 PM
I hate the Austrian AI.... Herr Frauline is good at snatching key wonders away... Now I always caravan production to the city
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Gusington on July 31, 2013, 07:20:53 AM
Yeah she's proving to be quite unpleasant. Time for a smackdown.
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 31, 2013, 07:53:09 AM
I won a Prince-level game as Austria not long after G+K came out.  Conquered Carthage because they were making land grabs in places I needed, and knocked off Rome, just 'cuz.  Married a few city-states into the family to f' with other civs and eventually got a science win.
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: BanzaiCat on July 31, 2013, 09:02:19 AM
I also despise Carthage. Seems they're always out-Wondering me, usually by 1-5 turns, the bastards.
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 31, 2013, 09:23:51 AM
you won't want to read this then: http://grogheads.com/?cat=51
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: BanzaiCat on July 31, 2013, 12:07:33 PM
Nice work, sir!
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Windigo on July 31, 2013, 12:22:18 PM
So the world had its first couple of meetings.... the bastards embargoed my staunch ally Brazil AND they put the artsy fartsies in control, now my great scientist breeding program has taken a 33% hit!

In retaliation I crushed the Ottoman's City State relationships, threw a diplomat into his capital so I could share intrigue with his enemies and gave his biggest PITA neighbour 600 gold.

On the negative side, the freaking danes keep pissing off the greeks and my trade ships are taking a beating and my needy ally citystates remind me of an ex.... always wanting gold to keep them happy and putting out.
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 31, 2013, 12:44:30 PM
^^ I'm still waiting for you to tell us there's an actual problem in there somewhere
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Windigo on July 31, 2013, 01:08:26 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 31, 2013, 12:44:30 PM
^^ I'm still waiting for you to tell us there's an actual problem in there somewhere

uhhh, the ottomans up until about 200 years back had a rating at times, 2-3 hundred points greater than me? And their buddy Japan had a trainwreck for an economy.... other than trading luxuries for gold because they put most of their freaking GDP into military??? and my military at the time consisted of a bunch of whitecoats with Bison approved nerf bats?

My strategy to suceed does take a while to crank up.... I do buddy up with militaruistic city states though to get the odd unit (after the initial run and club expansion days)

[Gold for luxuries and intimidating citystates to keep your economy afloat ... have to try that in a short game]

Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 01, 2013, 11:57:28 AM
new AAR episode is up. go discuss in its own thread, tho :)
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=4019
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 10, 2013, 11:48:05 AM
Venice for the win, bizichniks!

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fgrogheads.com%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Ddlattach%3Btopic%3D6789.0%3Battach%3D2107%3Bimage&hash=923ca8d83a3245b3a0324143edc9ec8393f4cb18)
Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Martok on August 10, 2013, 12:16:44 PM
Great job, chief!  :D 

Title: Re: Civ V - Favorite Starting... ?
Post by: Rizik6 on August 12, 2013, 06:23:00 PM
Venice
Tradition and the right side of Honor then Commerce.
Domination.

I suppose it's a little weird to go for Domination with Venice but it was easier than I expected. Lot of fun.