http://store.steampowered.com/app/242570/
something to look forward to!!!
Dear God...you are one evil sumbitch
You know, I've never played Space Hulk in any form and that looks damn tempting to me!
Looks a little like Dungeon Siege.
Wow. Just wow.
O.M.G
Looks absolutely stunning.
Quote from: Steelgrave on July 26, 2013, 01:05:49 PM
You know, I've never played Space Hulk in any form and that looks damn tempting to me!
I have a copy of the latest game still in the original shrink wrap. Haven't played it either, but I hear it's good.
I am getting to be a broken record but I am preorderiing this too. And it's barely a preorder since it's out in two weeks!!
Sigh - goddamit I thought it was further out than that
Save up yer pennies Geek. This is one game I will buy for sure.
Warhammer.... Yes Please!!!!
PE
Think ill preorder - I may as well get my salary paid to steam and they can send me what's left when they've finished!
Ill be there bob - I think I've promised to keeeeeeel you asap
This looks awesome. Oddly enough, I did not care for the actual boardgame version. But I think I will like this one, as all the rules are done by the PC - leaving only alien killing awesome.
Quote from: undercovergeek on July 26, 2013, 02:20:17 PM
Think ill preorder - I may as well get my salary paid to steam and they can send me what's left when they've finished!
Ill be there bob - I think I've promised to keeeeeeel you asap
Oh I can almost feel the joy of seeing your carapace disintergrating in the hail of shells from my assault cannon.......
SoM, the original board game is/was the best GW game ever. Very dynamic and tense but, GW in their infinite wisdom(?) removed a couple of crucial elements from subsequent iterations of the game and have thus 'dumbed it down';
(1) Hidden command points - the 'stealer player was never quite sure if you had a couple of points in hand (unless you had already used 6)
(2) Marine timer - we used to use a chess clock for this. The marine player had to make all his moves in a fixed length of time, and the time depended on how many squads were in the scenario. This could result in putting a lot of pressure on the marine player.
Too many new games coming in the next month!
Had to do it (cant resist WH40K)
One of my first pre purchases in years
Con
I'm interested, despite never having played anything Warhammer or Space Hulk related. But I'm wondering, is there really a need to pre-purchase? From what I'm seeing, they are not offering much in the way of rewards (a banner pole and a skin), whereas the price might well drop after a couple of months.
Am I missing something incentive-wise here?
No. But I just pre-purchased anyway :)
Hey, I did the same thing for Civ V BNW so I ain't judging 8)
Quote from: Steelgrave on July 26, 2013, 03:57:55 PM
I'm interested, despite never having played anything Warhammer or Space Hulk related. But I'm wondering, is there really a need to pre-purchase? From what I'm seeing, they are not offering much in the way of rewards (a banner pole and a skin), whereas the price might well drop after a couple of months.
Am I missing something incentive-wise here?
But its spaaaaaaace marines!!!
And preordering is almost like owning it and playing it except not been able to play it so its more like torture tbh
Patience, grasshopper.
I've never played Space Hulk but have recently secured a copy of the table top version of Blood Bowl and LOVE it so I'm guess SH will be quite fun as well. To be honest though, I far, far, far prefer to play the table top version of BB vs someone else than playing BB on the PC game online. Somebody posted upstream that they didn't care for the table top version - I'd be worried about buying the PC game version then. Maybe it's just me though....
Quote from: Sir Slash on July 26, 2013, 01:09:16 PM
Looks a little like Dungeon Siege.
Not even in the slightest bit like Dungeon Siege.
Think Aliens, and now make Space Marines and Tyranid Genestealers the two sides. That's Space Hulk.
Oh hell yeah I'm in!
I've been interested in Blood Bowl for a long time too.
I played much 40K as a teenager - though never had space hulk, but this looks very nice. I did have the battle isles game - what was it called "incubation" i wonder if this will be similar.
I have played the first Space Hulk pc game though - that is an excellent game, super hard and quite scary with how genestealers can just come through a wall at any moment. That game played in realtime though which amped up the intensity. As a turn based game though i wonder how it plays in terms of sudden shocks. In the original board game, could the aliens just tear a hole in a corridor wall and pour through?
Quote from: agathosdaimon on July 26, 2013, 11:28:45 PM
I played much 40K as a teenager - though never had space hulk, but this looks very nice. I did have the battle isles game - what was it called "incubation" i wonder if this will be similar.
I have played the first Space Hulk pc game though - that is an excellent game, super hard and quite scary with how genestealers can just come through a wall at any moment. That game played in realtime though which amped up the intensity. As a turn based game though i wonder how it plays in terms of sudden shocks. In the original board game, could the aliens just tear a hole in a corridor wall and pour through?
No. You will see the Tyranids coming as 'blips'. The problem is, you don't know how big a swarm each of those blips represents until they're revealed. And in the board game, only the Marine player is timed. So it's a race against the clock as well...you can't just sit there for 5 minutes planning out a perfect strategy.
Quote from: Gusington on July 26, 2013, 10:10:35 PM
I've been interested in Blood Bowl for a long time too.
Blood Bowl freakin' rocks. We have a local BB league here in Austin and I've played with them a couple of times now and had a great time. I'm going to venture off-topic here a bit (wee bit), but a buddy at my FLGS said that FFG has acquired the rights to go ahead and reprint
Blood Bowl and the other non-WH40K stuff from GW (
Space Hulk?). I can't confirm this online- has anybody else heard this rumour?
Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 26, 2013, 11:38:38 PM
Quote from: agathosdaimon on July 26, 2013, 11:28:45 PM
I played much 40K as a teenager - though never had space hulk, but this looks very nice. I did have the battle isles game - what was it called "incubation" i wonder if this will be similar.
I have played the first Space Hulk pc game though - that is an excellent game, super hard and quite scary with how genestealers can just come through a wall at any moment. That game played in realtime though which amped up the intensity. As a turn based game though i wonder how it plays in terms of sudden shocks. In the original board game, could the aliens just tear a hole in a corridor wall and pour through?
No. You will see the Tyranids coming as 'blips'. The problem is, you don't know how big a swarm each of those blips represents until they're revealed. And in the board game, only the Marine player is timed. So it's a race against the clock as well...you can't just sit there for 5 minutes planning out a perfect strategy.
That sounds good!
in the old dos Space Hulk there was a time limit too i recall and even pausing the game to give orders had only limited time -
Space Hulk. Reminds me of an old girlfriend from... well you don't want to hear that story. I meant the graphics and scenes from the trailer looked a little like Dungeon Siege. Hope it's a winner.
Still play the Amiga version on an emulator, all the ones since that was released have really good graphics but lack the depth, bit like the new X-Com game.
Darkspire
Quote from: GJK on July 27, 2013, 12:34:33 AM
Quote from: Gusington on July 26, 2013, 10:10:35 PM
I've been interested in Blood Bowl for a long time too.
Blood Bowl freakin' rocks. We have a local BB league here in Austin and I've played with them a couple of times now and had a great time. I'm going to venture off-topic here a bit (wee bit), but a buddy at my FLGS said that FFG has acquired the rights to go ahead and reprint Blood Bowl and the other non-WH40K stuff from GW (Space Hulk?). I can't confirm this online- has anybody else heard this rumour?
That would be rather surprising. FFG has reprinted some older GW games under license (Fury of Dracula, Horus Heresy) and produced some new stuff using the WH fantasy and 40K brands. But GW has never licensed out one of their premier first party titles to another firm.
Fury of Dracula?
yeah, me too - found http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/20963/fury-of-dracula but didnt know it was GW
Horus Heresy any good? It caught my eye when I was browsing some of their stuff awhile back.
How about that. For my wallet's sake, my sanity and my family integrity I have only maintained a cursory knowledge of GW and the existence of Fury of Dracula proves that I need to continue to do this.
I owned Fury of Dracula back when it first came out. You're not missing much. It wasn't a very deep game and there wasn't much in the way of replayability to it. It was basically a conversion of the board game Scotland Yard with a little extra borrowed from Arkham Horror (weapon and artifact gathering, character stats and abilities).
I hesitate to ask this but how are the other vampire GW games? The WH-based ones, I mean.
Quote from: Gusington on July 28, 2013, 03:51:15 PM
I hesitate to ask this but how are the other vampire GW games? The WH-based ones, I mean.
im watching some kind of wallet masochism here!!
'i shouldnt really, no no i wont - fk it, take my money, PLEEEEEEEASE take my money!!'
It's just er...curiosity.
I have a the WH Vampire Wars book waiting to be matched up with a good game, PC or otherwise.
Quote from: Gusington on July 28, 2013, 04:48:23 PM
It's just er...curiosity.
I have a the WH Vampire Wars book waiting to be matched up with a good game, PC or otherwise.
the warhammer fantasy battle Vampires Army book?
Now there's something you can get your teeth into!
So nobody's played Fantasy Flight's Horus Heresy then?
Or did you miss my question?
I recently picked up FFG's remake of Wiz-War, for playing with the family, and it's been great fun what with the card play variety. Most of the titles in their paper catalog are very tempting but I didn't see Horus Heresy listed in it (nor Wiz-War and many others that aren't movie IPs). I should move this discussion to the boardgame forum, and ask there, but I saw HH mentioned here and thought I'd ask for a quick impression.
Quote from: Gusington on July 28, 2013, 11:30:25 AM
How about that. For my wallet's sake, my sanity and my family integrity I have only maintained a cursory knowledge of GW and the existence of Fury of Dracula proves that I need to continue to do this.
The FFG version of Fury is actually a lot of fun. Think Scotland Yard, only with one player as Dracula, running around Europe and hatching plots and leaving a trail of ambushes and growing vampires behind him. The other side is the vampire hunters, trying to get on the path of Drac himself. The hunters want to get new gear and abilities, which they get from drawing from a deck of cards...thing is, they draw from the bottom. And it isn't until they actually pull a card that they learn if that card is good for them, or if they just handed the Dracula player some new badass ability.
Quote from: Nefaro on July 28, 2013, 11:25:47 AM
Horus Heresy any good? It caught my eye when I was browsing some of their stuff awhile back.
We had a discussion about this...somewhere. AHA! Found it. http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=2126.msg44428#msg44428
QuoteHorus Heresy any good?
Here's what we thought, our HFC review:
http://wargamecenter.wordpress.com/2012/07/09/review-horus-heresy-ffg/ (http://wargamecenter.wordpress.com/2012/07/09/review-horus-heresy-ffg/)
Ah, just realized Arctic already linked to a thread with our review - never mind :P
Thanks guys!
My next will probably just be one of the Lovecraft ones, anyway.
'Geek it's this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Vampire-Wars-Carstein-Trilogy-Warhammer/dp/1844165396/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375057416&sr=1-1&keywords=Vampire+Wars
with you now - they are characters in WH Fantasy Battles, i reckon you need to go full on Warhammer
Quote from: son_of_montfort on July 26, 2013, 02:22:27 PM
This looks awesome. Oddly enough, I did not care for the actual boardgame version. But I think I will like this one, as all the rules are done by the PC - leaving only alien killing awesome.
Exactly how I feel about the PC port of Blood Bowl. :D
Quote from: Gusington on July 28, 2013, 10:32:45 AM
Fury of Dracula?
I have it. Trying to get the fam to play it. One person plays Dracula while the rest co-op against him and chase him all over Europe. Haven't played it yet so I can't confirm how fun it is, but I am looking forward to it.
Hmmm.
Whatever you do, don't buy it from Amazon. There are a bunch of 3rd party vendors who are asking a blood price (heh, nice pun) for it. Starts at ~$100 and goes up.
I had no idea the game would appreciate like that. I'm fairly sure you can find game stores in NYC that will offer it for ~$40. But maybe it's that rare (and good?) now.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EUKRYK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000EUKRYK&linkCode=as2&tag=grogheads-20
Thanks...it'll be a long time, if ever, for me to find anyone in my remote outpost to play with. It doesn't have solitaire play, does it?
Quote from: Gusington on July 29, 2013, 08:02:51 AM
Thanks...it'll be a long time, if ever, for me to find anyone in my remote outpost to play with. It doesn't have solitaire play, does it?
I don't think so, but I'll go over the rules again to check.
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 29, 2013, 07:52:37 AM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on July 26, 2013, 02:22:27 PM
This looks awesome. Oddly enough, I did not care for the actual boardgame version. But I think I will like this one, as all the rules are done by the PC - leaving only alien killing awesome.
Exactly how I feel about the PC port of Blood Bowl. :D
No, no...you're just too used to playing with yourself for so long. It's always much more fun to do it with somebody else live and in person!
I am of course talking about playing vs the AI on the computer vs playing the boardgame face to face with a live opponent. ;)
Quote from: GJK on July 29, 2013, 11:26:11 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 29, 2013, 07:52:37 AM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on July 26, 2013, 02:22:27 PM
This looks awesome. Oddly enough, I did not care for the actual boardgame version. But I think I will like this one, as all the rules are done by the PC - leaving only alien killing awesome.
Exactly how I feel about the PC port of Blood Bowl. :D
No, no...you're just too used to playing with yourself for so long. It's always much more fun to do it with somebody else live and in person!
I am of course talking about playing vs the AI on the computer vs playing the boardgame face to face with a live opponent. ;)
The PC version is quite good for multiplayer too, since it has a matchmaker. You just gotta have an unbroken stretch of time to play a match due to the timer limits. Also hope that your internet connection doesn't wobble any because they never have fully fixed their netcode enough; it will still occasionally time out for stretches with an "out of sync" error. ::)
I don't know why but I feel a certain level of "disconnect" from the PC version of Blood Bowl. Actually, I think that's with most PC wargames that are boardgame "emulators". I wish that the BBowl PC version would show you the 1d6, 1d8 die rolls. They show the blocking dice when you have a 2dblock and you have to pick one. Why not just always show it? I'll miss a dodge attempt or fumble a pass for a turnover and it just happens suddenly, no thrill of actually rolling to see if you pass the check. More on topic, I haven't played Space Hulk so I don't know how that board game is and how much the PC game will do for you vs you actually rolling and applying the results (doubtful). I just don't like PC games that enforce all of the rules and do half the leg-work for me. That's why I feel the disconnection. But, this may be a better post for one of the "real wargames" or boardgame vs pc game threads.....
Quote from: LongBlade on July 29, 2013, 07:59:05 AM
Quote from: Gusington on July 28, 2013, 10:32:45 AM
Fury of Dracula?
I have it. Trying to get the fam to play it. One person plays Dracula while the rest co-op against him and chase him all over Europe. Haven't played it yet so I can't confirm how fun it is, but I am looking forward to it.
Hmmm.
Whatever you do, don't buy it from Amazon. There are a bunch of 3rd party vendors who are asking a blood price (heh, nice pun) for it. Starts at ~$100 and goes up.
I had no idea the game would appreciate like that. I'm fairly sure you can find game stores in NYC that will offer it for ~$40. But maybe it's that rare (and good?) now.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EUKRYK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000EUKRYK&linkCode=as2&tag=grogheads-20
The prices being sought for Fury have gone up because it's currently out of print. And since FFG was printing it under license from GW, nobody knows if maybe that run has ended and the game might be no more for new production.
Quote from: Gusington on July 29, 2013, 08:02:51 AM
Thanks...it'll be a long time, if ever, for me to find anyone in my remote outpost to play with. It doesn't have solitaire play, does it?
If you're playing solo, Fury of Dracula isn't going to work.
Quote from: GJK on July 29, 2013, 03:32:00 PM
I don't know why but I feel a certain level of "disconnect" from the PC version of Blood Bowl. Actually, I think that's with most PC wargames that are boardgame "emulators". I wish that the BBowl PC version would show you the 1d6, 1d8 die rolls. They show the blocking dice when you have a 2dblock and you have to pick one. Why not just always show it? I'll miss a dodge attempt or fumble a pass for a turnover and it just happens suddenly, no thrill of actually rolling to see if you pass the check. More on topic, I haven't played Space Hulk so I don't know how that board game is and how much the PC game will do for you vs you actually rolling and applying the results (doubtful). I just don't like PC games that enforce all of the rules and do half the leg-work for me. That's why I feel the disconnection. But, this may be a better post for one of the "real wargames" or boardgame vs pc game threads.....
The dice rolls are there, and can be turned on sort of, but they aren't manual (they happen automatically after appropriate triggers) and so lack a tactile feeling of skill that you yourself are casting the die of your fate (perhaps with some optimistic twists to try to get a good roll. ;) )
I can sympathize with that. But since I have exactly no opponents around, and no prospects for any, I'm glad the PC version is reasonably complete. (And hella less expensive!)
Ah, yes, makes sense. I'm very fortunate to have a league nearby (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/ABBL/) that meets every week. I've played with them for a short while now and really, really enjoy those games. I then try and play the PC version and it just doesn't hold my interest for long.
Maybe a good topic for another thread but "Best Wargaming/Gaming Towns?". Austin sure has to be up there. There's a number of FLGS's that host games ranging from Magic (of course), to WH40K (of course) to Blood Bowl to board wargames to miniatures. I can catch any of these types of games almost any day of the week. Am I just in a fortunate situation game-wise or is this echoed across the country?
Quote from: GJK on July 30, 2013, 10:54:53 PM
Am I just in a fortunate situation game-wise or is this echoed across the country?
I think you're pretty fortunate. I don't know of any such place close to my neighborhood, or I'd probably be doing tabletop stuff weekly.