GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: renobe on July 29, 2013, 12:41:01 PM

Title: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: renobe on July 29, 2013, 12:41:01 PM
The game Dwarf Fortress is a free game that had a very good write-up in the NY Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/magazine/the-brilliance-of-dwarf-fortress.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
I have been visiting the forums on other games for a long time at the Bay 12 website, but for some reason did not  ever visited the Dwarf Fortress part. The game site is http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
The forums at http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: Nefaro on July 29, 2013, 01:54:51 PM
I'm thankful there are user-friendly alternatives popping up these days.  The interface on Dwarf Fortress is such a pain, it made me run screaming every time.  Especially troublesome were the way different heights were displayed.  I applaud the people with the patience to fight with it, because they can definitely put up with some torture.

Ever since I picked up the Gnomoria beta, I've not looked back.  It's interface isn't great either but it's still a big improvement.  Hell, A Game of Dwarves is a lighter version and it's fun primarily because it has a proper UI and looks halfway decent.  Too bad that one wasn't expanded upon.
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: Yskonyn on July 29, 2013, 02:15:50 PM
Still, there are none which are as deep as DF.
With a proper tileset I think its pretty well playable. Too bad there hasnt been an update in ages now. Last year they were working on changing the graphics assignment in the engine, opening up much more spaces for tiles in theory. Never heard of again.. :(
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: renobe on July 29, 2013, 02:35:11 PM
The criticism of Dwarf Fortress sounds very much the same as what is directed at Aurora 4X Game. I have just downloaded the game an have not installed it yet.
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: PanzersEast on July 29, 2013, 02:38:34 PM
I've played quit a bit of DF.... it is a great game, however one you have to spend a lot of time with and the interface will fight you until you learn the shortcuts.  The game can become a grind on the later stage.  It is one I still play from time to time.


PE
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: Nefaro on July 29, 2013, 07:57:06 PM
Quote from: renobe on July 29, 2013, 02:35:11 PM
The criticism of Dwarf Fortress sounds very much the same as what is directed at Aurora 4X Game. I have just downloaded the game an have not installed it yet.

I could get into Aurora far easier than I could DF.  Probably only because I've been a Harpooner for a long time and it seems vaguely similar in both interface and mechanics.  I'd have an easier time learning to write Chinese than wrestle with DF, however.  ;D  You guys are gifted for being able to stick with it.
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: Sparhawk on July 29, 2013, 10:55:50 PM
I've played both DF and Aurora. I've never wanted to get into a game more than DF it captures my imagination probably more than any other I've come across. The interface totally kick's my butt, a sure game wrecker for me. I immersed myself in Aurora a few years back between jobs and quite enjoyed it. The UI is managable for a gamer usually unable to pry his mouse from his fingers. The only cumbersome game mechanic for me to the point of losing games was designing and implementing fire control.
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 02, 2022, 05:43:41 AM
I see a new version of this releasing December 6th.  Has some graphics and tutorial this time.  Intrigued me in the past but never tried it, could be on the radar depending on cost.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/975370/Dwarf_Fortress/
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: SlagDog on December 02, 2022, 11:21:21 AM
Yeah, This is a instant buy for me. back in the day I loved the in-depth concepts of it but the UI drove me absolutely batty. And each time I would come back to the game I had to re-learn the UI all over again. I'm hoping that the UI is user-friendly and that there are quality of life fixes that make the game more enjoyable. I'm sort of surprised that there is not more hype around this release.
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: Jarhead0331 on December 02, 2022, 11:29:55 AM
I never tried Dwarf Fortress, but I've heard it get compared to Aurora, which always made me feel tingly inside.  :crazy2:
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 02, 2022, 11:34:43 AM
Yep, from what I read seemed like a lot of keyboard short cuts and such in the past....hoping some of that moved to the UI and mouse clicks to make it a little easier for my brain to remember:)  Seems to have a large cult following so certainly interested to give it a try unless some absurd cost right away.
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: Sigwolf on December 02, 2022, 12:40:27 PM
I believe it was released that the price will be $30.
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 02, 2022, 12:42:16 PM
Quote from: Sigwolf on December 02, 2022, 12:40:27 PM
I believe it was released that the price will be $30.

Not horrible....but likely will monitor the first day to see if it has been made any easier.....although I don't really have anything to compare against:)
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: FarAway Sooner on December 02, 2022, 06:32:48 PM
I tried it back into the day, but struggled with some combination of the UI and opaque game mechanics.  I enjoy games with challenging game mechanics, but just never quite had the time/determination to grok DF.  I'm hopeful that the reviews on this one come back favorable, as I've always been intrigued by it.
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: al_infierno on December 02, 2022, 08:43:02 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 02, 2022, 11:29:55 AM
I never tried Dwarf Fortress, but I've heard it get compared to Aurora, which always made me feel tingly inside.  :crazy2:

There's really no other city-builder sim like it.  It's hard to describe the breadth and depth of the game, but "Aurora-like" is a fair way to put it.  Whenever you generate a world, there's an absolute metric ass-load of history, culture, and locations created procedurally.  I would compare the world creation to Shadow Empire but in a medieval fantasy style setting.

One thing I find compelling is that each of your dwarves are individuals with names, histories, preferences, etc. who have families and produce more dwarves and so on.  The character aspect is a bit like Crusader Kings melded with X-Com (keeping in mind combat is basically automatic).  You can also make statues to memorialize your coolest or most accomplished dwarves, which I always found a really neat feature.

If you enjoy games like Dungeon Keeper or Rimworld, you'll feel right at home with DF once you hurdle the learning curve.  Just ignore the "adventure" mode, which is awesome in theory (a roguelike mode where you can wander the world you created as an individual character and even find your Dwarf settlement) but extremely unfinished in practice.
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: -budd- on December 03, 2022, 11:47:20 AM
This is one of those games, like Rimworld, where I really like the idea of the game but don't know how much I would play it. Haven't sunk much time into Rimworld, probably watched other people play more than I have played it. Love the concepts of Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress, but I find games that need singular devotion to appreciate I just don't put the time in anymore. I did put over 30 hours into a similar game Gnomoria which I enjoyed. Historically speaking this will probably have no effect on whether or not I buy the game though :uglystupid2:
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: Gusington on December 03, 2022, 12:54:43 PM
^You should work in marketing because now I am interested in this.
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: Father Ted on December 03, 2022, 01:25:20 PM
DasTactic has done a ton of vids on this - might be worth checking out to see if it's for you
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: Gusington on December 03, 2022, 01:32:08 PM
Thank you, Father.
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: JasonPratt on December 03, 2022, 10:25:55 PM
Songs of Syx has been applauded as a modern DwarFort for a while -- also a single developer -- and it has an unlimited demo on Steam which gets updated, plus you can actually pay for the early access if you like it. ;) I haven't played the demo yet, but did finally remember to download and install it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1162750/Songs_of_Syx/

Lots of good reviews.
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: CJReich46 on December 05, 2022, 08:10:45 PM
I've played Dwarf Fortress off and on. I LOVE the Lazy Newb Pack (recommend if you are going to stick with the free version), it includes sprites, text packs, and even music and sounds.  :smitten: The music is awesome and so immersive. Especially this song,  Koganusan "Boatmurdered" it's a LEGEND in Dwarf Fortress as far as the AAR tale it wove, even better: It's included in the Steam release!!



Das has a good tutorial,  if you just want to start digging and making the basic goodies for your mountain halls, etc.  He's good, I learned how to make a bridge gate and he can explain the most headache inducing part of DF - the "Z" axis. Rimworld, Syx, do not have a Z axis. That is your Dwarves can dig down or build structures up. So you have to understand how to dig a stairway or channel, and he does a great job explaining that. So I recommend.

I also recommend Nookrium (he can be a bit..hyper chatty but he does slow down to show to explain things and he has been doing a DF play every Monday). The other one is Kruggsmash. He is a YouTuber who brings Dwarf Fortress to life. He does a great job with using DF to tell stories. I'd recommend him to anyone who wants to see what you can do.

The Steam release will include tutorials from what I heard. Which I think is going to be great.


As to Songs of Syx - Like Dwarf Fortress I have the demo and I'd recommend it. It's fun. Plus the soundtrack is great too!
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: CJReich46 on December 07, 2022, 12:29:56 PM
If you want to see how it "changed" from Classic to the Steam version - Das Tactic has a tutorial going through the actual in game tutorial!

Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: Tanaka on December 08, 2022, 12:19:23 PM
Quote from: -budd- on December 03, 2022, 11:47:20 AM
This is one of those games, like Rimworld, where I really like the idea of the game but don't know how much I would play it. Haven't sunk much time into Rimworld, probably watched other people play more than I have played it. Love the concepts of Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress, but I find games that need singular devotion to appreciate I just don't put the time in anymore. I did put over 30 hours into a similar game Gnomoria which I enjoyed. Historically speaking this will probably have no effect on whether or not I buy the game though :uglystupid2:

Same. And I've always put off DF because of the graphics. Now that it is updated and looks decent I will probably pick this one at some point but in no rush to. Same with RimWorld. Will wait for a decent sale on Rim as it is pricier.
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 08, 2022, 12:28:42 PM
Quote from: Tanaka on December 08, 2022, 12:19:23 PM
Quote from: -budd- on December 03, 2022, 11:47:20 AM
This is one of those games, like Rimworld, where I really like the idea of the game but don't know how much I would play it. Haven't sunk much time into Rimworld, probably watched other people play more than I have played it. Love the concepts of Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress, but I find games that need singular devotion to appreciate I just don't put the time in anymore. I did put over 30 hours into a similar game Gnomoria which I enjoyed. Historically speaking this will probably have no effect on whether or not I buy the game though :uglystupid2:

Same. And I've always put off DF because of the graphics. Now that it is updated and looks decent I will probably pick this one at some point but in no rush to. Same with RimWorld. Will wait for a decent sale on Rim as it is pricier.

Rimworld is something I always want to pick up but never see major sales on it.  Right now it is $27 at Greenmangaming, probably the lowest I have seen it.  Still not sure I'll like it though:)
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: Victor on December 21, 2022, 08:01:51 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 08, 2022, 12:28:42 PM
Quote from: Tanaka on December 08, 2022, 12:19:23 PM
Quote from: -budd- on December 03, 2022, 11:47:20 AM
This is one of those games, like Rimworld, where I really like the idea of the game but don't know how much I would play it. Haven't sunk much time into Rimworld, probably watched other people play more than I have played it. Love the concepts of Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress, but I find games that need singular devotion to appreciate I just don't put the time in anymore. I did put over 30 hours into a similar game Gnomoria which I enjoyed. Historically speaking this will probably have no effect on whether or not I buy the game though :uglystupid2:

Same. And I've always put off DF because of the graphics. Now that it is updated and looks decent I will probably pick this one at some point but in no rush to. Same with RimWorld. Will wait for a decent sale on Rim as it is pricier.

Rimworld is something I always want to pick up but never see major sales on it.  Right now it is $27 at Greenmangaming, probably the lowest I have seen it.  Still not sure I'll like it though:)


Rimworld is the most accessible out of those I think. You'll see a lot of kids playing it on Youtube for what passes for humor amongst a certain demographic (I butchered these people, skinned them and turned them into a hat, haha...), but the game is customizeable and moddable enough to make it worthwhile for anyone.

I personally hate almost everything about the setting and challenges the game throws at you, but with mods the possibilities are limitless. I have 2 default packs I use:
Medieval/Roman (turns off almost all technology, medicine, weapons, etc) and my biggest challenge is both finding enough food and preserving enough food to last a winter.

Western: Set up my 7th Cav fort and watch the attacks roll in.
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: ArizonaTank on December 21, 2022, 09:08:02 PM
Very interested in DF...but seems very deep. While I love deep games, I just have so many others in the queue.
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: Father Ted on December 22, 2022, 10:05:25 AM
I bought it a week or so back - have spent much more time watching tutorials than actually playing.  So far I have only scratched the surface (ha ha), but it does seem very complex in terms of the sheer number of things to keep track of.  It is very sand-boxy in that you have a pretty free rein to create wherever and whatever you like.  This means that the fortress-building aspect is really fun I find.  You are initially pegged back by the survival element (keeping the dwarves fed and happy), but as far as I can gather you go into a Factorio-like state once you overcome the initial hurdles - automating requests and constructing machines.
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: Gusington on December 22, 2022, 10:24:48 AM
It sounds cool but I fear my feeble brain, already trounced by Knights of Honor 2, would be further pummeled and embarrassed.
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: SlagDog on December 22, 2022, 10:51:05 AM
I've been playing it quite a bit this past week and I am really enjoying it. Its such an improvement over the text-based iteration. The UI makes sense and the game flow is much easier to follow. This version is so much more accessible and easy to understand. I'm only in the first phase of my fortress but I literally sat down and drew out how my master plan fortress would look on paper before starting. This is helping me keep focus on the master plan while I begin. There are some aspects of the UI menus that are genius in their implementation. I have been having fun screwing up as well. There have been many things that I've built that didn't quite work how I thought they were supposed to but it was fun to see what happened because of my mistakes. Like I had a room for farming that I had to get water to so that the rock would become farmable. I figured that if I cut a canal from a near by pond to the room that it would work. I even put in a floodgate just in case I could not get the water to stop OR drain out of the room. Well by the time I got all that set up and everything in place the damn season changed and the water froze  ;D. So now I have to wait until the spring thaw to see if it will work! I would recommend it to anyone who likes city builder games. It's a super deep game with some really cool mechanics that create a really random and fun environment.
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: joram on December 23, 2022, 08:13:24 AM
Yeah, I can't stop playing it myself.  Have always heard how fun it was but also couldn't get past the learning curve given the interface.  The steam version, while still having a steep learning curve for some of the advanced stuff, is far easier to get into.   There are videos galore if you need help too.   
I have been keeping an eye on RimWorld as well as I've heard great things but the price seems steep with the add-ons I hear that turn it from a good game to a great game.  DF is already great and am quite happy with the purchase.
Title: Re: DWARF FORTRESS
Post by: ArizonaTank on March 06, 2023, 10:37:59 AM
Very interesting documentary on the development of Dwarf Fortress.

Not just a labor of love, but the devs really put their life into it.

The devs are definitely "old school" and it is nice to see a game based on 80s and 90s technology do so well.

Good to see all of their real blood, sweat and toil pay off for them.