GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: MengJiao on July 31, 2013, 10:56:33 AM

Title: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: MengJiao on July 31, 2013, 10:56:33 AM


  The horror that was almost the Battle of Moscow slithers into the innocent heart of DCS:


  http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3808839/confirmed_luthier_RRG_and_DCS_#Post3808839
Title: Re: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: jomni on July 31, 2013, 06:09:57 PM
I do not understand.  ???
Title: Re: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: eyebiter on July 31, 2013, 06:15:49 PM
CLOD = IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover, a World War II flight simulation.
Title: Re: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: jomni on July 31, 2013, 06:26:40 PM
I know that but why is this news significant? and what is actually news in that link?
Title: Re: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: magnus on July 31, 2013, 06:31:45 PM
Luthier took over the 1C or Maddox game designing after Oleg Maddox went missing.

He has always promised the moon and stars and has never delivered.

Pacific fighters was his first baby as I recall and that had everyone in a tizzy about all the missing planes and what had been promised to what was delivered.

The article is about him designing WWII planes or a full game for DCS.
Title: Re: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: jomni on July 31, 2013, 07:37:42 PM
Thanks for the synopsis. I never really delved into who's doing what.
So you mean his bad rep will be spreading over to the DCS world?
Title: Re: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: Staggerwing on July 31, 2013, 08:25:10 PM
Quote from: magnus on July 31, 2013, 06:31:45 PM
Luthier took over the 1C or Maddox game designing after Oleg Maddox went missing.

Say what?!?
Title: Re: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: eyebiter on August 01, 2013, 04:53:02 AM
The Rise and Fall of Oleg Maddox
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3608512/1
Title: Re: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: Staggerwing on August 01, 2013, 05:27:02 AM
I knew he was out of the company. I didn't know he fell off the face of the earth...
Title: Re: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: Nefaro on August 01, 2013, 06:10:42 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on August 01, 2013, 05:27:02 AM
I knew he was out of the company. I didn't know he fell off the face of the earth...

No kidding!

I missed all this drama because I didn't really play IL-2 much at all, and never even tried CLOD.  Hell.. as far as I knew, he was still doing something in the company.   :o
Title: Re: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 01, 2013, 08:54:40 AM
Speaking of CLOD, I recently installed the TF Mod.  The game looks great and appears to run great, as well...however, after flying for about 5 to 10 minutes, I get a hard lock-up/freeze.  Anybody have any idea what may be causing this? 
Title: Re: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: Yskonyn on August 01, 2013, 09:33:44 AM
Quoteit seems that this project will morph DCS's current p51 and fw190 stand alone aircraft into a fully featured ww2 sim with extensive new objects and theater environment (with new features), and it will combine DCS's 24/7 dynamic campaign engine (as functioning in their modern era fully integrated flightsim products) and the new DCS gfx engine (EDGE)

What dynamic campaign? DCS has none.

This stinks and yet another project that will spread the focus of ED... *sigh*.

While I do think a proper WW2 era inside DCS would be super cool with the flight model on par of the current P-51D, I am a bit worried (and have been for a longer time) about the focus and priorities of ED.
Lots of stuff gets delayed while they keep on adding new stuff to their list of to-do...

They have won my heart bigtime with the A-10C and I am a proper fan of that model / module, but I am getting more sceptical about their future releases.
Title: Re: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 01, 2013, 09:36:09 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 01, 2013, 08:54:40 AM
Speaking of CLOD, I recently installed the TF Mod.  The game looks great and appears to run great, as well...however, after flying for about 5 to 10 minutes, I get a hard lock-up/freeze.  Anybody have any idea what may be causing this?

Are you using Teamspeak?  I know CLOD doesn't like the TS overlay and will crash because of that.
Title: Re: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: Tuna on August 01, 2013, 09:42:52 AM
In the past, I played on ATAG server with TS and no issues. Or do mean it has an issue if you're running the Mod and TS?
Title: Re: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 01, 2013, 09:56:55 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 01, 2013, 09:36:09 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 01, 2013, 08:54:40 AM
Speaking of CLOD, I recently installed the TF Mod.  The game looks great and appears to run great, as well...however, after flying for about 5 to 10 minutes, I get a hard lock-up/freeze.  Anybody have any idea what may be causing this?

Are you using Teamspeak?  I know CLOD doesn't like the TS overlay and will crash because of that.

Negative.  No TS.
Title: Re: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: Nefaro on August 02, 2013, 12:46:47 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on August 01, 2013, 09:33:44 AM
Quoteit seems that this project will morph DCS's current p51 and fw190 stand alone aircraft into a fully featured ww2 sim with extensive new objects and theater environment (with new features), and it will combine DCS's 24/7 dynamic campaign engine (as functioning in their modern era fully integrated flightsim products) and the new DCS gfx engine (EDGE)

What dynamic campaign? DCS has none.

This stinks and yet another project that will spread the focus of ED... *sigh*.

While I do think a proper WW2 era inside DCS would be super cool with the flight model on par of the current P-51D, I am a bit worried (and have been for a longer time) about the focus and priorities of ED.
Lots of stuff gets delayed while they keep on adding new stuff to their list of to-do...

They have won my heart bigtime with the A-10C and I am a proper fan of that model / module, but I am getting more sceptical about their future releases.

Agreed.  DCS has been all over the place. 

Now they're making a 'study sim' version of the F-15, and we already have the basic model (amongst others) in Flaming Cliffs 3.  A Fw-190 for godssake?!  There's way more holes to fill out in the modern aircraft realm, thank you.  While they plan some of the ones we look forward to, they look to be pushed further out to make way for oddities like this.  Like chronic ADD.
Title: Re: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: steve58 on September 06, 2013, 03:59:17 PM
Looks like the  Kickstarter for DCS WWII Europe 1944 (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508681281/dcs-wwii-europe-1944) is active.  After CLOD, I think I'll wait and see how this one turns out before I spend any cash on it...

Quote
DCS: Europe 1944 will distribute via a free-to-play model, with the core game available as a free download! That means that a supporter of ANY level will be able to fly and enjoy this game! The rest of the modules will be available as a separate purchase.

The free downloadable version of Europe 1944 will include THREE fully flyable aircraft, each arguably more famous than the next: the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt fighter/ground attack aircraft, the Supermarine Spitfire fighter, and the German Messerschmitt Bf.109G. Non-player-controllable versions of all other aircraft will also be included, allowing the players to see them in action at any time.

Backers at the $20 level or above will receive one more flyable aircraft of their choice, and backers at $40 or above will receive the entire flyable aircraft set.


Title: Re: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: jomni on September 06, 2013, 05:34:34 PM
Free to play won't hurt if it turns out to be trash.
Title: Re: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: Staggerwing on September 06, 2013, 06:40:44 PM
That $40 pledge level looks like it could indeed be a great deal if the game takes off, assuming you get a digital copy of all flyable a/c released now and later.
Title: Re: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: Yskonyn on September 07, 2013, 10:07:13 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on September 06, 2013, 06:40:44 PM
That $40 pledge level looks like it could indeed be a great deal if the game takes off, assuming you get a digital copy of all flyable a/c released now and later.

Sure... And they will probably offer you all future theatres for free too. :D
Come on, man, you're not serious are you?
Title: Re: New CLOD-like nightmares
Post by: Staggerwing on September 07, 2013, 10:25:24 AM
Sure, why not? ;D


Actually, I ran across this comment on the kickstarted page:
QuoteIf we manage to hit our stretch goals and the list of aircraft grows, backing at a $40 level or above will increase in value exponentially, getting you the complete set of launch flyables!

Don't worry, I have yet to pledge. In fairness though if they hit all the stretch goals then it would mean a nice set of flyable a/c, including a B-17 and either a Ju-88 or Me-410, as well as a DH-98, Me262, and a-26 from lesser stretch goals.