GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: LongBlade on August 02, 2013, 11:23:15 AM

Title: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: LongBlade on August 02, 2013, 11:23:15 AM
These are the World of tanks folks.

Dig into this a bit. I'll highlight some of the goodies.

QuoteAugust 2, 2013 - Wargaming, the award-winning videogame developer and publisher, has announced a new business unit in North America and shed light on future plans for its projects and IPs ahead of the celebration marking the company's 15th anniversary.

The newly opened office in Austin, Texas will be home for Wargaming's Producing Center, Central Technology and Global Business Intelligence Groups. Responsible for the coordination, analysis, management and support of the company's design and production processes, the office will help streamline communication between its teams and global studios.

Along with continuing its global expansion, Wargaming has also officially announced the acquisition of the Total Annihilation and Master of Orion IPs.

"Total Annihilation and Master of Orion are strategy game classics," said Wargaming CEO Victor Kislyi. "Although it's too soon to disclose any details, we are more than willing to give a new lease of life to these games most of us grew up playing. It's exactly where our major focus will be."

It has been also revealed that the company's flight combat MMO action game World of Warplanes will get British aircraft before the launch.

"British engineers built many iconic military aircraft that are a must for any flight combat game," said Vlad Belozerov, World of Warplanes' Director of Global Operations. "Flying legends like the Spitfire, the Blenheim F and the Javelin warplanes will add a considerable amount of depth to the game and more immersion for players."
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: Windigo on August 02, 2013, 11:39:41 AM
Somedays, like this one, are like the perfect soft icecream cone on a hot summer day... that you share.... with your dog.... who loves you unconditionally
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: Steelgrave on August 02, 2013, 12:07:31 PM
+1 to the above two posts.   :D
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: bbmike on August 02, 2013, 12:24:01 PM
I'm hopefully that something good comes from a new Master of Orion but in this case I feel the same way I would if I had heard that Nabisco was acquiring John Deere.
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: Windigo on August 02, 2013, 12:28:45 PM
Quote from: bbmike on August 02, 2013, 12:24:01 PM
I'm hopefully that something good comes from a new Master of Orion but in this case I feel the same way I would if I had heard that Nabisco was acquiring John Deere.

::)

its a little closer than that methinks

like Mitsubishi Industries aquiring JohnDeere
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: Greybriar on August 02, 2013, 02:19:22 PM
I hope Wargaming.net does the Total Annihilation and Master of Orion series proud. One thing is certain: Wargaming.net certainly won't be suffering from a lack of funds.
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 02, 2013, 02:51:49 PM
I have yet to spend a dime on WoT.   ;D
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: Windigo on August 02, 2013, 02:56:54 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 02, 2013, 02:51:49 PM
I have yet to spend a dime on WoT.   ;D

I remember you beating my by about 5 minutes when LB had that WoT reviewers pass to give away....
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 02, 2013, 04:11:30 PM
I never got a WoT review/press pass.
Ive gotten my tanks and crews the hard way thank you very much.
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: Anguille on August 02, 2013, 04:41:06 PM
Will see what they do with Master of Orion...it's must buy for me if they go in the right direction...
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: SgtRock on August 02, 2013, 05:00:48 PM
Proof that Wargaming.net has run out of ideas, they are now re-making old games! Expect more of the same old, same old stuff!

Why does every one want to just re-make old games?



Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: Staggerwing on August 02, 2013, 05:24:24 PM
Masters of Orionski?  :D
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 02, 2013, 06:10:30 PM
did someone run over your dog today Rock?
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: Huw the Poo on August 02, 2013, 06:24:59 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on August 02, 2013, 05:00:48 PM
Why does every one want to just re-make old games?

If it really was "everyone" you'd have a point.  It isn't, though.  The gaming market is huge; plenty of room for new games and remakes alike.
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: Martok on August 02, 2013, 06:33:08 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 02, 2013, 06:10:30 PM
did someone run over your dog today Rock?
Given Wargaming's history & expertise, he's probably concerned about any new MOO being MOOMMO.  When you add in the fact that a 4x franchise has already gone this route (Imperium Galactica), his concern is understandable. 

Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 02, 2013, 06:33:29 PM
I never got into Total Annihlation but it was very poplular.  we used to hang out in the Close Combat lobby and do panty raids to the TA lobby telling them they werent real wargamers.  ;D
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: vyshka on August 03, 2013, 01:08:01 AM
Quote from: SgtRock on August 02, 2013, 05:00:48 PM
Proof that Wargaming.net has run out of ideas, they are now re-making old games! Expect more of the same old, same old stuff!

Why does every one want to just re-make old games?

I imagine they grabbed the TA ip partly because they have Gas Powered Games under their umbrella now, and this will let Chris Taylor revisit one of his early titles.
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: Huw the Poo on August 03, 2013, 03:30:20 AM
Quote from: vyshka on August 03, 2013, 01:08:01 AM
I imagine they grabbed the TA ip partly because they have Gas Powered Games under their umbrella now, and this will let Chris Taylor revisit one of his early titles.

Ah!  I didn't realise that's where GPG ended up.  I remember reading a heartbreaking interview with Taylor not so long ago about what happened to his company.  It'll be nice for him to work on TA again.
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: Greybriar on August 03, 2013, 12:59:46 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 02, 2013, 02:51:49 PM
I have yet to spend a dime on WoT.   ;D

My hat's off to you!

I just don't have the patience anymore that I used to. To grind away for hundreds of battles in order to get a tank crew to 100% is not my idea of fun. To be limited to five tanks because that's how many garage slots you start out with is just not enough variation for me. Crew training and garage slots are mostly what I have spent the gold I've purchased from Wargaming.net on. Since I have over 100 tanks in my garage...well, you do the math.

Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 03, 2013, 01:04:53 PM
wow thats a lot of tanks.  more then anything its been my crew training program thats kept the number of tanks low.
I have a PV-4 and a Stug 3 to make me lots of money.
I have a loltraktor because its just stupid fun.
the rest are an E-50m, E-75, Ferdinand and a Jagdtiger.
the first 3 pay for the rest though I the only tank I almost always lose money on is the E-50m.  its that sports car that you hate but keep.
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: ChrisK on September 26, 2013, 04:41:55 PM
Yup, we have them both. And they're not going to gather any dust, let me tell you! 8)

However, we have our fair share of grognards at the company, and that's really why we bought these IPs. Not to make money, but because WE LOVE THOSE GAMES! We're going to do our best with them. Really. And if you have any questions, I will try to answer them (keeping in mind that we have announced nothing except that we have these IPs and plan to use them).
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: bbmike on September 26, 2013, 04:57:17 PM
Quote from: ChrisK on September 26, 2013, 04:41:55 PM
Yup, we have them both. And they're not going to gather any dust, let me tell you! 8)

However, we have our fair share of grognards at the company, and that's really why we bought these IPs. Not to make money, but because WE LOVE THOSE GAMES! We're going to do our best with them. Really. And if you have any questions, I will try to answer them (keeping in mind that we have announced nothing except that we have these IPs and plan to use them).

(re MOO) Single player turn-based?  :P
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: ChrisK on September 26, 2013, 05:13:15 PM
Quote from: bbmike on September 26, 2013, 04:57:17 PM
(re MOO) Single player turn-based?  :P

87 player iPhone-only real-time strategy with elves and orcs ::)

It set the standard for 4X TBS games - if it ain't broken, why change it?

Caveat: We may ADD TO it, but we won't TAKE AWAY FROM it, got it? 1P TBS is a must, MP TBS as an option.  :)
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: OJsDad on September 26, 2013, 05:22:45 PM
Quote from: ChrisK on September 26, 2013, 05:13:15 PM
Quote from: bbmike on September 26, 2013, 04:57:17 PM
(re MOO) Single player turn-based?  :P

87 player iPhone-only real-time strategy with elves and orcs ::)

It set the standard for 4X TBS games - if it ain't broken, why change it?

Caveat: We may ADD TO it, but we won't TAKE AWAY FROM it, got it? 1P TBS is a must, MP TBS as an option.  :)

I think at PBEM multiplayer option would be a great add on. 
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: LongBlade on September 26, 2013, 05:26:46 PM
Quote from: ChrisK on September 26, 2013, 05:13:15 PM
Quote from: bbmike on September 26, 2013, 04:57:17 PM
(re MOO) Single player turn-based?  :P

87 player iPhone-only real-time strategy with elves and orcs ::)

It set the standard for 4X TBS games - if it ain't broken, why change it?

Caveat: We may ADD TO it, but we won't TAKE AWAY FROM it, got it? 1P TBS is a must, MP TBS as an option.  :)

Ha!

Multiplayer would be great.
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: bbmike on September 26, 2013, 08:04:54 PM
Quote from: ChrisK on September 26, 2013, 05:13:15 PM
Quote from: bbmike on September 26, 2013, 04:57:17 PM
(re MOO) Single player turn-based?  :P

87 player iPhone-only real-time strategy with elves and orcs ::)

It set the standard for 4X TBS games - if it ain't broken, why change it?

Caveat: We may ADD TO it, but we won't TAKE AWAY FROM it, got it? 1P TBS is a must, MP TBS as an option.  :)

MP TBS as an option would be awesome! As long as hotseat play is in there.  8)
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: ChrisK on September 27, 2013, 10:33:07 AM
Have you guys been reading our secret feature list?!?!   :-X

I used to love PBEM (and PBM) games. <sigh> Diplomacy, ICE's Middle-Earth PBM, and others way back when. Even email is kind of crusty these days though. Expect a server to handle all of that instead of email files (this helps us prevent hacks and also allow more players per game).
Title: Re: Wargaming Press Announcement
Post by: Martok on September 27, 2013, 07:02:55 PM
Quote from: ChrisK on September 26, 2013, 05:13:15 PM
Quote from: bbmike on September 26, 2013, 04:57:17 PM
(re MOO) Single player turn-based?  :P

87 player iPhone-only real-time strategy with elves and orcs ::)

It set the standard for 4X TBS games - if it ain't broken, why change it?

Caveat: We may ADD TO it, but we won't TAKE AWAY FROM it, got it? 1P TBS is a must, MP TBS as an option.  :)
That's a relief to hear!  Appreciate you putting our minds at ease.  :)