GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Gusington on August 04, 2013, 09:10:16 AM

Title: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 04, 2013, 09:10:16 AM
V5.0 of The Great War mod for Napoleon Total War, after three years (!!!) of development, is set to be released this month. Needless to say my loins are moist. Check out the release trailer:



Here is the link on twc:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?612025-TGW-5-0-Release-Date-Trailer

Look at all that first generation armor!

LB edit: fixed your YouTube link.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Staggerwing on August 04, 2013, 09:19:46 AM
Neat!

Seeing the tanks glide along without the treads moving is a little bit distracting though.  ???
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: TheCommandTent on August 04, 2013, 09:40:05 AM
Looks pretty cool Gus but no one wants to hear about your loins, moist or otherwise.  :P
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: sandman2575 on August 04, 2013, 09:43:39 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on August 04, 2013, 09:19:46 AM
Seeing the tanks glide along without the treads moving is a little bit distracting though.  ???


Exactly what I thought watching the trailer -- which is otherwise amazing.  3 years of work put into this, which is an incredible achievement -- I feel guilty thinking the tank animations (or lack thereof) are a serious immersion killer... but it really jumps out at you and is impossible to ignore :(
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: MetalDog on August 04, 2013, 10:02:44 AM
Y'all shouldn't spoil Gus's moist loins like that!
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Shelldrake on August 04, 2013, 11:00:59 AM
Very nice (the release trailer not Gus' loins) but I guess it is too much to expect naval battles too?!
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 04, 2013, 11:25:50 AM
Full disclosure: I noticed the tank treads too. I suppose there's nothing they could do about it. Same thing with naval battles: modeling software just could not give the team what they wanted. That aside...loin-moistening. Complete with full campaign!

LB thanks for the Youtube. I tried three times to place it and it wouldn't take.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: LongBlade on August 04, 2013, 11:44:08 AM
Quote from: Gusington on August 04, 2013, 11:25:50 AM
Full disclosure: I noticed the tank treads too. I suppose there's nothing they could do about it. Same thing with naval battles: modeling software just could not give the team what they wanted. That aside...loin-moistening. Complete with full campaign!

LB thanks for the Youtube. I tried three times to place it and it wouldn't take.

Make sure you copy the link under the Share tab. Then click the YouTube feature on the forums and paste the URL in between those tags.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1081.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fj349%2Flongblade%2FGrogHeads%2FYouTube-Share_zps33990a50.jpg&hash=65dedf0a5b1fecb7a87a430d8a9be8b5c632c331)
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 05, 2013, 10:59:59 AM
FYI the release date for this is Friday, August 9. This is really throwing a wrench in my late summer gaming plans, with Space Hulk and Rome 2 coming. How do I resist he pull of my favorite era combined with my favorite franchise?
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: W8taminute on August 05, 2013, 12:20:50 PM
Can't wait to fire the guns of August!  I wonder what the strategic map and tech tree look like?
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Oche on August 05, 2013, 12:38:06 PM
Nice, new available mods are always welcome.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Sir Slash on August 05, 2013, 01:33:45 PM
I didn't know there was a full campaign. I thought there were only custom battles only. My loins moisten as well though at my age that's usually because I've spilled something.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: LongBlade on August 05, 2013, 01:42:45 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on August 05, 2013, 01:33:45 PM
I didn't know there was a full campaign. I thought there were only custom battles only. My loins moisten as well though at my age that's usually because I've spilled something.

LOL
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 05, 2013, 02:30:20 PM
It better not be just custom battles...I do believe a full campaign will be available. The modders have been working on this for 3 years! That's almost as much time as I've invested in my younger daughter. And believe me, she came with a full campaign.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 05, 2013, 02:56:37 PM
Ok from a perusal of tbe mod's FAQ the team has confirmed a full campaign with totally customized campaign map units, including trains. Loin-moistening continues!
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Sir Slash on August 05, 2013, 03:12:10 PM
Great work Gus. I wonder is it modded after NTW or Shogun? I seem to remember NTW.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 05, 2013, 07:50:06 PM
What do you mean? It's based on NTW if that's what you're asking. I am verifying my vanilla NTW game cache right now in preparation for this weekend when the rumored release will be.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 05, 2013, 08:20:58 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on August 04, 2013, 11:00:59 AM
Very nice (the release trailer not Gus' loins) but I guess it is too much to expect naval battles too?!

never be dismissive about Gus's loins.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 05, 2013, 09:14:57 PM
They do look great right now.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: GDS_Starfury on August 05, 2013, 09:34:11 PM
I believe you used the term juicy.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 12, 2013, 08:10:15 AM
Loin moistening wargaming awaits! The Great War: Total War is out!
www.twcenter.net
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: hurryover on August 12, 2013, 12:20:36 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 12, 2013, 08:10:15 AM
Loin moistening wargaming awaits! The Great War: Total War is out!
www.twcenter.net

Could you report on how the game portrays WWI? WWI was continuous fronts. This game displays armies in stacks. My only concern.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: W8taminute on August 12, 2013, 12:20:54 PM
Thanks for the update Gus.  I'm gonna have to DL this bad boy today.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: hurryover on August 12, 2013, 12:55:43 PM
And... how are aircraft represented?
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 12, 2013, 01:19:32 PM
I have yet to download and see it first hand but aircraft are represented on the campaign as agents. They are not represented in tactical battles yet. The creators promise.regular updates and since they have been working on this release for three years I believe them.

Hurryover not sure what you mean about the stacks, above...

Will be downloading when I can tonight and reporting back on whether this release will delay me in firing up Rome 2.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: hurryover on August 12, 2013, 01:22:00 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 12, 2013, 01:19:32 PM
I have yet to download and see it first hand but aircraft are represented on the campaign as agents. They are not represented in tactical battles yet. The creators promise.regular updates and since they have been working on this release for three years I believe them.

Hurryover not sure what you mean about the stacks, above...

Will be downloading when I can tonight and reporting back on whether this release will delay me in firing up Rome 2.

Good to hear. This is all very interesting.

I meant that in all TW games armies are represented in stacks, which is unlike the warfare of the Western Front during WW1, which was a continuous front. Do you follow?
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 12, 2013, 01:35:19 PM
I'll have to install and see what, if anything, the developers have done for stacking.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: W8taminute on August 15, 2013, 06:51:19 PM
Downloading now.  31 minutes left.   :(
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 15, 2013, 07:36:06 PM
You may or may not noticed that I have been quiet about this for the last few days...there appear to be a lot of bugs. Before going into the game wholeheartedly I am going to wait for a patch to sort things out. The one bug I have not been able to fix so far is lack of sound :(
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Staggerwing on August 15, 2013, 07:42:35 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 15, 2013, 07:36:06 PM
The one bug I have not been able to fix so far is lack of sound :(

A mere trifle. Or is that a subset of the 'Pudding' family?
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 15, 2013, 08:20:26 PM
It's irritating like sand in your bathing suit. Some have been able to fix it but I haven't spent enough time yet.

The tech support thread for the mod was about 25 pages long last time I checked, yesterday, which is disconcerting. Doesn't mean you are guaranteed to get some problems but it's not so hot either.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Sir Slash on August 15, 2013, 09:58:08 PM
That's too bad Gus. I was hoping this one was going to be a winner. :-\
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 16, 2013, 07:55:27 AM
Me too but I think my hopes were too high for a clean release. In time it could be great.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: W8taminute on August 16, 2013, 09:10:44 AM
Right out of the gate I crashed.  Turned out to be a minor problem though.  I missed the step where you install the script.txt file into the proper location.  Ok after doing that I run the mod and got no sound.  No problem I thought, I'll just start a new campaign without sound.  When I clicked on start campaign I crashed to the desktop. 

Twcenter mentions that you can indeed get the mod to work via installation of the app called modswapper or something like that.  Anyway I don't have time for this and will just wait until the patch comes out. 
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 16, 2013, 10:53:09 AM
Same with me (depressed sigh)
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: FarAway Sooner on August 17, 2013, 02:15:39 AM
I hear the sound of  loins drying at an ominous rate. 

Who'd have thought from Page 1 that the end result of this thread would only be discussion of Gus' dessicated and cracking loins?
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Martok on August 17, 2013, 03:08:16 AM
Quote from: Gusington on August 16, 2013, 10:53:09 AM
Same with me (depressed sigh)
Cheer up, bud.  With all the work the team has done on the mod, they're not going to just abandon it at this point.  It'll be patched up soon enough! 




Quote from: FarAway Sooner on August 17, 2013, 02:15:39 AM
Who'd have thought from Page 1 that the end result of this thread would only be discussion of Gus' dessicated and cracking loins?
At this place?  Odds are pretty good, actually.  :P 

Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 17, 2013, 09:38:36 AM
Drying loins is a great way to put it. It's ok...there's so much more to dive into in this new golden age. So it's easy to be patient here.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: W8taminute on August 17, 2013, 10:04:16 AM
Downloading version 5.1 which came out earlier this morning.  36 minutes left.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 17, 2013, 11:16:29 AM
O snap...that was quick. Post back when you have poked around a bit.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: W8taminute on August 18, 2013, 12:35:40 PM
Ok I've met with some success today with this mod and want to share some screenies with you.

After purging my directories of all of the version 5.0 files I installed the new version 5.1.  This time everything ran fine!!  :)

Started a new campaign as Germany and putzed around for the first 3 turns.  I was trying to understand how the economy works in this mod.  The 1914 campaign begins in early August of 1914 and WW1 has broken out.  The haughty Belgians launch a small attack on my border province with them.  The following screenshots show how foolish they were to play with me like that!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=170656448
Belgian regiment advancing

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=170656538
My men taking fire at these fools.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=170656711
Ok so midpoint in the battle I realize I'm not doing that good.  I get a little worried.  Then I discover the 'spread out and take cover' button.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=170657171
This causes the enemy to charge my position for some reason.  I mow them down like I mowed my lawn this morning.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=170656229
The result of the battle.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 18, 2013, 03:22:29 PM
This is good news...thanks for posting. Just installed 5.1 and will see if I can get sound/music.

Did you have any crashes?

Edit: OK right off the bat I now have sound and music, which is an immediate improvement. I was also able to autoupdate up to v5.1.1 with the autoupdater.

Also the game did not crash on me while perusing the factions like it did a few days ago. Looks like they made some solid improvements.

If I can get a game going without crashes I will be in heaven.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: W8taminute on August 18, 2013, 04:36:20 PM
You're welcome Gus.  Some more info for you.  I've played about 2 hours or so in the campaign.  I've noticed one what I call bug though.  Belgium had a 20 unit army besieging my border town with them.  I had an 8 unit army that was on it's way back home from invading Belgium.  We ran into a 2 unit French army that was adjacent to that 20 unit Belgian army.  I set the battle to automatic since I expected to rout the French.  The initial battle decision screen did not show the Belgians being called in as reinforcements like you see in typical TW games when enemy armies are adjacent to each other.  I figured it was safe to auto battle.  As a result of my automatic win against the French however, the Belgian army was destroyed as well.  Now I'm not complaining as it saved me from losing a second city but this kind of thing shouldn't happen.

Shortly after this victory my game crashed and froze my computer.  This however I suspect was due to my graphic settings.  I've always had on and off problems with NTW vanilla and never bothered updating my video drivers.  I think now is the time for that however. 
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 18, 2013, 05:28:08 PM
Is it well done enough to keep going?
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: W8taminute on August 18, 2013, 06:42:45 PM
^Yes in my opinion.  This mod is pretty good overall.  It's not that easy to take over provinces in this mod and making money is not any easier either.  I definitely think it's worth playing some more. 
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 19, 2013, 08:15:04 AM
Excellent. I'm leaning towards trying out Romania first (seriously).
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Sir Slash on August 19, 2013, 10:10:08 AM
If her husband don't care, then I don't care. ;D
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 19, 2013, 03:46:51 PM
I have no witty retort for that. Yet.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Sir Slash on August 19, 2013, 10:46:07 PM
You're trying too hard Gus. Just relax and the words will come to you. Or have a stiff drink maybe. Who are the playable countries in the mod? And what did they do about naval combat?
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 20, 2013, 07:46:53 AM
The modders had trouble importing new models for updated ships, but have hinted that they may have found a solution for a big future update. So right now naval combat has not changed from the vanilla game, AFAIK.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: W8taminute on August 20, 2013, 10:36:26 AM
Yeah the naval unit card graphics depict WW1 era ships however the 3D models in battle are still wooden ships with cloth sails.  Doesn't bother me too much for now and if they are going to fix it later I can wait.

You want to try out Rumania?  That sounds like it might be an interesting game actually. 


In my current game I'm playing as Germany and it's January 1916.  In the West it's a stalemate.  I've lost Alsace-Lorraine however and have not taken any territory there.

In the East I just captured Vilnius after meeting with very little resistance.  I have a feeling that if I had sent more units to the East sooner I could have grabbed a lot more territory from Russia.  Still learning I guess.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 20, 2013, 11:16:44 AM
How's ongoing game stability? Do you have a lot of crashes?

I couldn't believe that Romania was a playable faction when I saw it but there it was. Gonna try them out first.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: W8taminute on August 20, 2013, 11:56:30 AM
No crashes after the one I reported earlier.  That turned out to be due to setting the graphics options to very high and I guess my card couldn't handle it.  Ever since I turned down the graphics, to medium, I have not had any crashes.   :)
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 20, 2013, 01:15:29 PM
That's fantastic. How does it look on medium?
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: W8taminute on August 20, 2013, 01:24:08 PM
At medium the main campaign map still looks fairly decent.  The 3D battlefield soldier models are eh, ok.  Grass and foliage on the battlefield looks ok when you zoom in a little but when you zoom out things look decent but not great. 

Everything looked gorgeous at the high graphics setting but my aging card couldn't take it.  I've got an ATI Radeon 5460.
Title: Re: The Great War - Total War
Post by: Gusington on August 20, 2013, 02:11:35 PM
Ouch. Time to upgrade!

The stability otherwise is great news. The timing is a little worse with Rome II just around the corner.