GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Gusington on August 06, 2013, 08:32:01 AM

Title: Thief
Post by: Gusington on August 06, 2013, 08:32:01 AM
The fourth game in the series looks to be coming together:

http://www.thiefgame.com/

New updated more modern steampunk universe...looks like they took some visual and art cues from Dishonored. It's been a long, long time but I like a lot of what I see and hear at the site.
Title: Re: Thief
Post by: LongBlade on August 06, 2013, 08:42:04 AM
Hmmm.

That game created stereoscopic sound environments for FPS games. A worthy franchise. I'd love to see this succeed.
Title: Re: Thief
Post by: Gusington on August 06, 2013, 08:44:22 AM
One negative: it's not the original actor for Garett's voice acting.
Title: Re: Thief
Post by: ComradeP on August 08, 2013, 06:33:24 AM
I hope it won't be dumbed down or too fast-paced. I also hope it won't have too many of those quick time events, and that we'll still be able to use stealth.

The missions in the first two Thief games, were often of the "slow and steady" type, the third game was a bit more fast-paced, but the times have changed and if it's going to be released on consoles, I am very afraid it will be simplistic compared to the original trilogy.
Title: Re: Thief
Post by: Gusington on August 08, 2013, 07:54:25 AM
I also hope it's not dumbed down...
Title: Re: Thief
Post by: ComradeP on September 20, 2013, 07:45:07 AM
I just stumbled upon this: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/04/27/thiefs-return-hampered-by-office-strife-team-departures-and-assorted-setbacks/

My hopes for the game have suffered non-lethal damage, but it's mounting as there's also this: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/07/23/eidos-montreals-general-manager-resigns-over-lack-of-courage-from-square-enix-europe/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0 .
Title: Re: Thief
Post by: Gusington on September 20, 2013, 09:26:22 AM
Yeah I've read about the office drama. Crossing my fingers it doesn't muck things up.
Title: Re: Thief
Post by: LongBlade on September 20, 2013, 09:56:30 AM
Quote from: Gusington on September 20, 2013, 09:26:22 AM
Yeah I've read about the office drama. Crossing my fingers it doesn't muck things up.

It'll muck things up. The question is whether they have the time and money to unmuck them.

Any time you change coders you have to allow for the next coder to get inside the head of the last coder. It's not like switching mechanics on a car and the next guy turns the same nut or screw. You're inventing each nut and screw as you go and coders approach the creation of them differently.

This is not good. Doesn't spell doom, but it's not good.
Title: Re: Thief
Post by: Gusington on September 20, 2013, 07:57:59 PM
Way to bring the room down :(
Title: Re: Thief
Post by: Nefaro on September 21, 2013, 12:24:41 AM
Quote from: Gusington on September 20, 2013, 07:57:59 PM
Way to bring the room down :(

He took mahhh Jubs!
Title: Re: Thief
Post by: LongBlade on September 21, 2013, 12:32:38 AM
Quote from: Gusington on September 20, 2013, 07:57:59 PM
Way to bring the room down :(

My apology. I am cursed with speaking the truth as I see it as often as humanly possible.

It is a double-edged sword.
Title: Re: Thief
Post by: Martok on September 21, 2013, 06:12:14 AM
Quote from: Gusington on September 20, 2013, 07:57:59 PM
Way to bring the room down :(
It's a kindness he done.  Better to dash your hopes now than later... 

Title: Re: Thief
Post by: LongBlade on September 25, 2013, 08:33:01 PM
A trailer has just been released. Looks OK.

There is also a pre-order bonus mission.

Is it just me or does anyone else find it odd that a pre-order bonus is being offered six months before the game is released?

Title: Re: Thief
Post by: Staggerwing on September 25, 2013, 09:09:37 PM
Only if desperately trying to raise cash to stay afloat is odd.
Title: Re: Thief
Post by: LongBlade on September 25, 2013, 11:03:36 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on September 25, 2013, 09:09:37 PM
Only if desperately trying to raise cash to stay afloat is odd.

Yeah.

I'm afraid we may have our answer. :(
Title: Re: Thief
Post by: Gusington on September 26, 2013, 07:19:30 AM
Your reality juice has seeped into my brainstem. I am not preordering. And since I already own Dishonored, I may not get Thief for a while. Wait and see on this, with all the negative vibes flying in he press.
Title: Re: Thief
Post by: LongBlade on September 26, 2013, 08:04:10 AM
Sorry. I'd like it to be great, too, but I'm not feeling the love yet.
Title: Re: Thief
Post by: Gusington on September 26, 2013, 01:09:08 PM
Something just snapped with me on this...too many negative waves.
Title: Re: Thief
Post by: Staggerwing on September 26, 2013, 05:50:56 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 26, 2013, 01:09:08 PM
Something just snapped with me on this...too many negative waves.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg2.binimage.org%2F1889%2F17%2FGeroiKeli21_03.jpg&hash=f8123f1d809f7fcc6a4bfe4de9bdddd2af636530)
Title: Re: Thief
Post by: Gusington on September 26, 2013, 08:52:06 PM
^Precisely.