GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Tuna on August 10, 2013, 05:04:07 PM

Title: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Tuna on August 10, 2013, 05:04:07 PM
I upgraded my CPU today.. flashed my bios and threw it in there.. no problem.. Windows didn't ask me to reactivate, which made me happy.

But I heard all these stories about Battle Front needing reactivating, when you make Hardware change. But I was able to start a couple times.. no problem to do turns with Con  (CMBN). So maybe, not activation needed. Was worried, I was going to have to use one of my limited ones up. I might check Shock Force out later, but really haven't played that game in a long time.

When I went to play Iron Front on SIMHQ this afternoon.. Then I got the you need to activate this game message, and I guess it was the DDay dlc only. I went on to GamersGate, got my key and it went through ok.

While playing on SimHQ guys told me, I might have the same issue with DCS World.. Are there many other games out there that get pissed off if you make a Hardware Change? I know I don't have to worry about Scourge of War since they went to Matrix.
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Nefaro on August 11, 2013, 07:26:12 AM
The ones with limited online activations are the culprits, although I don't think all of them check the processor model but instead the motherboard and maybe the hard drive.

Unfortunately, the second thing to most often die on a computer and need replacing is the motherboard.  Often in tandem with a dead power supply (the likeliest to die & possibly take the motherboard with it). 

Of all the computers I've fixed over the years, I've never seen a processor "go bad".  I suppose some of the activation DRM schemes don't bother checking the processor since there are fewer processor models than other hardware (the same model being more common between different computers).
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: GJK on August 11, 2013, 07:39:25 AM
1. Harddrives- most often
2. Power supplies- frequently
3. Motherboards- rarely but happens
4. CPU chips- very rarely

And it sucks that programs/games rely on DRM schemes that rely on the above configurations to always be the same each time that they are installed. 
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Tuna on August 11, 2013, 08:20:43 AM
Quote from: GJK on August 11, 2013, 07:39:25 AM
1. Harddrives- most often
2. Power supplies- frequently
3. Motherboards- rarely but happens
4. CPU chips- very rarely

And it sucks that programs/games rely on DRM schemes that rely on the above configurations to always be the same each time that they are installed.

Yeah, I'd definitely say 1 and 2 are the things I've had to replace on mine and my kids computers. The latter two I replace, because I'm upgrading.

I think if they have to do activation, do it one time and be done with it. It still sucks in general, because you're up a creek if the company goes under! A lot of us Grogs love to revisit old games.
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Tuna on August 17, 2013, 04:27:10 PM
Well... I guess I spoke too soon.. Just tried to fire up CM to return a turn with Con.. and I get a dialog box says "License Error"
There was an error with your license. Please contact your vendor for assistance.

:-[

You'd think there would be a button for activation, but it just say Quit..
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Darkspire on August 17, 2013, 04:53:50 PM
I will not touch a game with DRM, only had one game, Mass Effect and that I took back to the shop with it still in the packaging as I went online to check for updates and found out it was cursed, there was no mention on the box so the shop gave in and refunded. This is why I would never think about Steam or any other DRM, I am  upgrading on average about once or twice a year, if its a major overhaul then its a new case and innards, which I do on average every few years. I still have one that runs 98 on a PIII 1000, this one is currently XP on a dual core, I will just put this on the network and build a new one with Win 7 on for X-Rebirth. I love to play my older games, If I have not got the machine any more I have an emulator on the best machine. DRM is the worst invention going, makes the suits rich and the gamers unhappy and left feeling very ripped off, unfortunately with things like Steam being so popular because of the plug and play generation who do not like to do anything more than a click to get a game running it will never get better only worse. Personally I think those sorts of folks should stick with consoles, makes true PC gamers life a nightmare. And yes I do realize it is also because of the P word but that is another very volatile subject.

Darkspire
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: DoctorQuest on August 17, 2013, 05:02:52 PM
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Grim.Reaper on August 17, 2013, 05:22:58 PM
Although I don't like DRM (especially ones tied to machine configuration) either, its certainly here to stay at least in the near term....I wish I had the control to only purchase non-DRM games, but too many games I enjoy has it and I am not strong enough to stay away from them:)  To be honest, I really haven't had a single issue with DRM yet, but that is not to say I won't at some time in the future.

I think it doesn't impact me as much is because the lifespan of playing games I purchase is fairly short......not many games that I buy I revisit beyond a year (there are exceptions).
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Darkspire on August 17, 2013, 05:44:31 PM
The one that seems to come up often with DRM is the limited installs, why should I pay 35 for a game and only have three installs?, if I wipe the OS and have to reinstall, which I do at least two to three times a year due to hardware changes and I also enjoy putting the OS and all the drivers on and bits, I'm a geek shoot me  :), the one for Mass Effect had a special patch released that reset the install count, that's how I found out it was cursed. I paid 30 for Morrowind and I can still install that without problems, I do admit there are quite a few games I would like to have but the DRM issue just stops me from buying them, like Spore, I would love to have a play with that and all the addons, its not the game that Will Wright presented to the world but it is close, fortunately in the current age Indie development seems to be making a return, if a game is that good then it starts to spawn clones which sometimes are as good if not better, I will buy one of those without all the DRM issues or limited installs from the little guy.

Darkspire
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Tuna on August 17, 2013, 06:52:57 PM
Anyone know how to 'reactivate'? .. I saw nothing in the program group except something that said manual activation, but when I launched that, it failed to launch the web site it was trying to launch.. I thought they had something where you can reactivate after a hardware change? Or does it require a ticket with their helpdesk? I only installed it on my gaming PC, so should have plenty of activations left.. lol.. or at least 2... I really don't want to uninstall and reinstall if possible!
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Darkspire on August 17, 2013, 07:00:27 PM
Quote from: Tuna on August 17, 2013, 06:52:57 PM
Anyone know how to 'reactivate'? .. I saw nothing in the program group except something that said manual activation, but when I launched that, it failed to launch the web site it was trying to launch.. I thought they had something where you can reactivate after a hardware change? Or does it require a ticket with their helpdesk? I only installed it on my gaming PC, so should have plenty of activations left.. lol.. or at least 2... I really don't want to uninstall and reinstall if possible!

http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=188 (http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=188)

That might help.

Darkspire
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Tuna on August 17, 2013, 07:04:30 PM
Quote from: Darkspire on August 17, 2013, 07:00:27 PM
Quote from: Tuna on August 17, 2013, 06:52:57 PM
Anyone know how to 'reactivate'? .. I saw nothing in the program group except something that said manual activation, but when I launched that, it failed to launch the web site it was trying to launch.. I thought they had something where you can reactivate after a hardware change? Or does it require a ticket with their helpdesk? I only installed it on my gaming PC, so should have plenty of activations left.. lol.. or at least 2... I really don't want to uninstall and reinstall if possible!

http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=188 (http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=188)

That might help.

Darkspire

thanks!

LOL.. I love the first sentance

"Our new Online Activation System helps us restrict illegal distribution of our intellectual property without being annoying or intrusive to the legitimate customer. "
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Tuna on August 17, 2013, 07:06:53 PM
Ugh.. I don't have the section they mention... just "Quit"... I'm really pissed if I have to uninstall and reinstall, just to get to the activation section!
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Con on August 17, 2013, 07:07:01 PM
Tuna and I are locked in a true epic marathon of CMBN.  I say marathon because its a huge wide open map with the objective on a hill/ridge in the center.  We have spent 20 (I think) turns running towards our goal and still no contact.

I think our troops are going to have heart attacks before the bullets have a chance to cut them down (too much sausage for my guys)

Con
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Darkspire on August 17, 2013, 07:11:18 PM
To be honest gaming on the PC can be a real nightmare, the game generally runs fine but from what I have read you either have all the hassle of DRM, like you have or you have all the hassle of an illegitimate copy, seems you can not win either way unless you just buy non DRM games, real shame really. DRM and DLC are just a big money printing machine , back in the day companies released patches to games that fixed problems and added more content for free purely to garner favor so that they would have a good fanbase that brought the next game down the line, good old days.

Darkspire
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Tuna on August 17, 2013, 07:12:42 PM
Quote from: Con on August 17, 2013, 07:07:01 PM
Tuna and I are locked in a true epic marathon of CMBN.  I say marathon because its a huge wide open map with the objective on a hill/ridge in the center.  We have spent 20 (I think) turns running towards our goal and still no contact.

I think our troops are going to have heart attacks before the bullets have a chance to cut them down (too much sausage for my guys)

Con

LOL.. I think it's gonna be an epic slaughter against me, with those two kitty cats you have. hopefully that's it. .but still.. lol. .I don't stand a chance!
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Tuna on August 17, 2013, 07:25:56 PM
Ugh this is BS... I don't mind having to reactivate.. pissed about losing an 'activation'.. but give me the ability on my install? I have to open a ticket with a helpdesk to reactivate!!!!

http://www.battlefront.com/community/archive/index.php/t-108891.html (http://www.battlefront.com/community/archive/index.php/t-108891.html)
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Nefaro on August 18, 2013, 02:34:54 AM
Quote from: Tuna on August 17, 2013, 07:25:56 PM
Ugh this is BS... I don't mind having to reactivate.. pissed about losing an 'activation'.. but give me the ability on my install? I have to open a ticket with a helpdesk to reactivate!!!!

http://www.battlefront.com/community/archive/index.php/t-108891.html (http://www.battlefront.com/community/archive/index.php/t-108891.html)

->
Quote from: Battlefront
By upgrading, the license checker is basically not able to recognize your PC anymore, so you need to relicense. Please go to www.battlefront.com/helpdesk and click on Submit Ticket. Make sure to enter your key.

Ugh.

I feel for you man.  We shouldn't have to put up with this shit.
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Tuna on August 18, 2013, 02:12:05 PM
Looks like their help-desk does work on the weekends!.. .they sent me a cleaning utility to wipe my license off my game. I will have to try it later on when I get down cellar to my gaming machine.

So kudos to BF for not making me wait till Monday.. but on the other hand, this is kind of a pain in the ass... lol.. I may treat myself to a new vid card or memory when my Bday comes up at the end of the month.. assume, I'll have to do it again..
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: undercovergeek on August 18, 2013, 02:16:26 PM
i think video and ram will be ok - iirc motherboard, chip and HDD will cause you trouble
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Tuna on August 18, 2013, 02:26:51 PM
k.. hope so... I was expecting it with CPU.. then when it worked fine for a week.. I thought I was ok!

Someone told me the same thing will happen with DCS.. I don't mind as long as I don't have to 'contact' them to reactivate.. With Iron Front I just entered my key and that was that..
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Tuna on August 18, 2013, 02:58:17 PM
So fire up DCS... it wants to activate.. I expected that coming.. has an activation button, press it.. it fails!!!!!!

You  know, all the Steam Haters out there.. I would take Steam any day of the week over this crap!!!!!
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Nefaro on August 18, 2013, 03:38:22 PM
Quote from: Tuna on August 18, 2013, 02:58:17 PM

You  know, all the Steam Haters out there.. I would take Steam any day of the week over this crap!!!!!

I definitely agree.

While I'm not the biggest Steam fan (mostly due to some bugs & limitations of their client), I realize that it's still much better than this activation junk.
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Toonces on August 18, 2013, 04:52:34 PM
If you're somebody that tends to upgrade computers a lot, Steam is a Godsend. 

Reinstalling simply can't be easier.
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: SgtRock on August 18, 2013, 07:36:25 PM
Quote from: Tuna on August 17, 2013, 07:25:56 PM
Ugh this is BS... I don't mind having to reactivate.. pissed about losing an 'activation'.. but give me the ability on my install? I have to open a ticket with a helpdesk to reactivate!!!!

http://www.battlefront.com/community/archive/index.php/t-108891.html (http://www.battlefront.com/community/archive/index.php/t-108891.html)


BattleFront's License/DRM system will bite you in the ass sooner or later. Just wait when they start charging you for re-activations!! ;D

Anyone ever ask what happens if BattleFront go's bye bye? I doubt it's quick or easy to create a simple patch for every single product.


Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Tuna on August 18, 2013, 09:20:41 PM
I think I'm more pissed off at DCS right now.. lol.. I like Warthog better.. and right now I can't play it!!! Guess their Helpdesk doesn't work on the weekends..

Battlefront, sent me a file that cleaned out my activation, so I was able to get it going again..
Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: DoctorQuest on August 18, 2013, 09:55:34 PM
As long as people break down and buy these games it's not going to end. There are some elements of DCS that intrigue me but I simply will not risk their DRM. On the other hand most DCS aircraft can be had in other sims. I know the DCS folks like to think they are the only game in town but in my opinion they could not be more wrong.

Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Tuna on August 20, 2013, 03:21:30 PM
Well 48 hours has come and gone with my support ticket with DCS, so I guess their promise to respond within that time period are bunk. Their FAQ section has some videos about what registry entries to delete, but they don't work.

I saw some posts elsewhere.. They had some suggested keys to delete, so I will try..  I guess with DCS, you have to deactivate before you make your hardware change (not that it's easy to make the activation screen come up once you're already activated). so I guess DCS really fails with their call home DRM.

At least Battlefront's helpdesk responded with a solution the next day (and on the Weekend even).. Again not happy with either's DRM, but at least Battlefront responded with a fix.

Title: Re: I would've expected Battlefront, but.....
Post by: Staggerwing on August 20, 2013, 07:57:32 PM
^IIRC, Battlefront came through for me once as well. I couldn't get CMSF to run and they isolated it to some toolbar I had installed in my browser. Why that mattered I still don't know but after I removed it the game ran again.  ???