GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: hurryover on August 11, 2013, 04:45:27 PM

Title: Germany at War - Does anyone have this one?
Post by: hurryover on August 11, 2013, 04:45:27 PM
I was looking into getting Germany at War but am on the fence about it still. I enjoy the Eastern Front but sometimes there seem to be too many games on the subject, that don't add anything new.

Does this game add anything new? Or should I look elsewhere? The screens aren't that impressive.

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1150/Germany.at.War:.Barbarossa.1941.Released!
Title: Re: Germany at War - Does anyone have this one?
Post by: Tuna on August 11, 2013, 04:54:28 PM
lol.. still hard to tell with those darn 'tiny' screenshots!
Title: Re: Germany at War - Does anyone have this one?
Post by: hurryover on August 11, 2013, 05:27:31 PM
Quote from: Tuna on August 11, 2013, 04:54:28 PM
lol.. still hard to tell with those darn 'tiny' screenshots!

I know, right? The thumbnails are about the size of the pop-up pictures. And there are only two images.

I'm starting to get the feeling that this one might be a flop?
Title: Re: Germany at War - Does anyone have this one?
Post by: Darkspire on August 11, 2013, 05:44:55 PM
QuoteWith 4 Campaigns, including 37 scenarios in the main campaign, 14 stand-alone scenarios and an editor with which to add new mission, multiplayer PBEM++ support and good graphics, this game is an exciting new milestone for gamers who enjoy Panzer Corps and similar games.

The section in bold made me laugh, they really do need to get someone in to sort the descriptions out, to me that is coming across as sub par graphics but you can put better ones in yourself  ;D

Not wishing to invoke the 'grandma, eggs and sucking scenario' but do you use the Google drag and drop image finder?
Here is a much better selection of images and more game info from a drag and drop.

http://linode.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=78164 (http://linode.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=78164)

Darkspire
Title: Re: Germany at War - Does anyone have this one?
Post by: hurryover on August 11, 2013, 06:00:50 PM
Quote from: Darkspire on August 11, 2013, 05:44:55 PM
QuoteWith 4 Campaigns, including 37 scenarios in the main campaign, 14 stand-alone scenarios and an editor with which to add new mission, multiplayer PBEM++ support and good graphics, this game is an exciting new milestone for gamers who enjoy Panzer Corps and similar games.

The section in bold made me laugh, they really do need to get someone in to sort the descriptions out, to me that is coming across as sub par graphics but you can put better ones in yourself  ;D

Not wishing to invoke the 'grandma, eggs and sucking scenario' but do you use the Google drag and drop image finder?
Here is a much better selection of images and more game info from a drag and drop.

http://linode.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=78164 (http://linode.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=78164)

Darkspire

Thanks for the input Darkspire. The sentence you reference from the description is poorly constructed and has a spelling error. From my experiences, it seems like it was put together by someone who's first language was not English ("mission" should be "missions").

That is a great place to find images. But should I have to go to drag and drop to find images? I would think that the place selling the product should be most interested in posting large pictures in order to get sales.
Title: Re: Germany at War - Does anyone have this one?
Post by: Darkspire on August 11, 2013, 06:51:26 PM
Although I primarily use it to find images I find it really useful for finding info on things, images are generally accompanied by a review or at the very least a discussion on a forum somewhere. Matrix and it's sales strategies are always hot discussions,  your right though, they need a proper gallery of images for a game, at least 1024x768, and decent promo videos put on YouTube, never really been one for hex wargaming, I only know Matrix through Distant Worlds but I am starting to take a keen interest in these sorts of games, maybe I will give one a go at some point.

Darkspire
Title: Re: Germany at War - Does anyone have this one?
Post by: hurryover on August 12, 2013, 11:58:35 AM
I guess no one has this?

Then I wont risk my money. I work too hard for it.  :(
Title: Re: Germany at War - Does anyone have this one?
Post by: ComradeP on August 13, 2013, 05:38:33 AM
I was a beta tester for the game, so my opinion is in a way biased.

I like it more than Panzer Corps, but I also liked Operation Barbarossa (sort of "Germany at War 0.5") even though many people disliked it.

I'd suggest checking the forums over at Matrix for comments or reading some of the AAR's, if you're wondering if it's your cup of tea.
Title: Re: Germany at War - Does anyone have this one?
Post by: JasonPratt on August 15, 2013, 08:44:19 AM
I don't have it yet but it's certainly on my radar.
Title: Re: Germany at War - Does anyone have this one?
Post by: Bismarck on August 15, 2013, 09:26:31 AM
I'm reviewing it for Grogheads.
Title: Re: Germany at War - Does anyone have this one?
Post by: Bismarck on September 06, 2013, 11:28:52 AM
Surprisingly good. Check out my review.
Title: Re: Germany at War - Does anyone have this one?
Post by: Boggit on September 06, 2013, 08:33:18 PM
Quote from: Bismarck on September 06, 2013, 11:28:52 AM
Surprisingly good. Check out my review.
I liked your review. "Surprisingly good" sounded ominous, as though your expectations were low. Perhaps worth a punt at it then?
Title: Re: Germany at War - Does anyone have this one?
Post by: JasonPratt on September 06, 2013, 09:11:12 PM
The original game was notoriously buggy as I recall, so "surprisingly good" is good. :)

Link to the review on the Grog frontpage (http://grogheads.com/?p=2458), for convenience.

Interesting comparison: Panzer General : GermatWar :: Model T : Corvette!

One thing I didn't quite understand, Jim, was whether there was a Russian grand campaign. It seems not? -- but there are Russian player scenarios vs German AI (which you had good grades for both ways including realistic difficulties for Russian AI due to doctrine), and maybe smaller Russian campaigns?
Title: Re: Germany at War - Does anyone have this one?
Post by: Bismarck on September 06, 2013, 10:09:02 PM
No Russiam campaign but late war scenarios are Russian gimmes.