GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: ross_ntu on August 13, 2013, 12:03:39 PM

Title: Gone Home
Post by: ross_ntu on August 13, 2013, 12:03:39 PM
Anyone interested by this one?  It looks like a first person adventure game, set in a really detailed house.  Basically the premise is you come home after a year abroad and discover your family are not around - you have to work out what has happened to them by exploring the house.  Usually I would look at the screenshots and be a bit ... meh!  However, reading the article here http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/02/riot-girl-gone-home-to-launch-on-15th-august/ by Cara Ellison has got me tempted.  I do like games with a good story, and this seems like an interesting take on the genre. 


Title: Re: Gone Home
Post by: Rayfer on August 13, 2013, 04:15:21 PM
Looks kind of cool to me.  But these adventure games often end up having baffling and/or difficult puzzles.  In the end, it's the story that makes or breaks these games.
Title: Re: Gone Home
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 13, 2013, 04:33:26 PM
zzz...zzz...zzz...

Sorry. Just not my cup of tea. Unless, the player is a former SF operator who discovers a ransom note detailing that his family has been kidnapped and taken to the jungles of Columbia.  He then calls up his old team and they reunite for one last special operation to rescue the family from the clutches of the narco-terrorists who abducted them.  Then, I might take a look and take the plunge. 
Title: Re: Gone Home
Post by: ross_ntu on August 13, 2013, 06:12:32 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 13, 2013, 04:33:26 PM
zzz...zzz...zzz...

Sorry. Just not my cup of tea. Unless, the player is a former SF operator who discovers a ransom note detailing that his family has been kidnapped and taken to the jungles of Columbia.  He then calls up his old team and they reunite for one last special operation to rescue the family from the clutches of the narco-terrorists who abducted them.  Then, I might take a look and take the plunge.

Lol - not a fan of the subtler game Jarhead?   ;)  In all honesty I am worried it could be a bit dry myself - I am really curious as I do like to support developers who try something a bit different, but the idea of just looking at stuff for a whole game...I was never someone who wandered Skyrim looking for the local library.  The only time I looked at the books was if they looked like they had potential for stat increases  ;D
Title: Re: Gone Home
Post by: Huw the Poo on August 13, 2013, 06:18:25 PM
I like the look of it.  I haven't read Cara's writeup yet so I don't know whether there's a horror theme or whatever, but it certainly looks intriguing.
Title: Re: Gone Home
Post by: Grim.Reaper on August 18, 2013, 05:30:35 AM
Did anyone end up picking this up?  Seen some folks in other places seeming to like it, although it appears to only last a couple of hours.  Might pick up out of curiosity when it goes on sale at some point:)
Title: Re: Gone Home
Post by: ross_ntu on August 18, 2013, 08:14:37 AM
I did.  Only played an hour or so thus far - trying to take my time and appreciate it. At the moment, I would say it is atmospheric and a bit creepy, but the story has not grabbed me yet.  I have only found about three diaries so far though, so I am hoping there is a lot more to explore.  I do like the way that the game expands the story through information you find, although I was expecting a lot more junk to sort through - it still feels a bit like the old adventure game standard of open something, hunt for the one obvious item you need to pay attention to, then move on.  From the stuff that was released before release I was expecting more random stuff that filled in details but was not a major plot point.  Also, it feels a bit contrived that there are so many notes left around the house.  Not to be down on the game though, as I think it has a lot of potential.  I will feedback more when I have played further into the game.  As with all story based games, it is not really until you have seen how the story has played out that you can fairly judge the game overall.
Title: Re: Gone Home
Post by: Huw the Poo on August 18, 2013, 09:44:54 AM
What I've read suggests it's only an hour or two at most.  Doesn't seem like much for the asking price of £13.50.
Title: Re: Gone Home
Post by: ross_ntu on August 19, 2013, 06:15:34 PM
I think it probably depends how you play it.  I might be wrong, but I feel like there must be more to it if you explore.  I don't see me finishing in 2 hours - according to Steam I have played an hour and twenty mins already and feel that there must be quite a lot more story to discover unless the reviewers have all been talking rubbish.
Title: Re: Gone Home
Post by: son_of_montfort on August 19, 2013, 09:38:57 PM
Ross, I'm glad you brought this up. I've been thinking about getting it, but part of me doesn't feel like handling some overly sad story that just has to end in tragedy. The previews really give that vibe. I have heard great things about it as an interactive story, but after To The Moon ripped up my emotions, I have been fairly leery about story games.

I also didn't "get" The Path, so clearly some story games are beyond my kin. Although I did very much enjoy the surrealistic journey of The Void.
Title: Re: Gone Home
Post by: ross_ntu on August 20, 2013, 08:32:32 AM
Just finished it - took three hours according to Steam.  It was good, but not great in my opinion.  I liked the way the story unfolded, finding the subtle clues etc was an interesting way of progressing the story.  The voice acting was excellent.  The story itself kept me interested.  That said, it had nowhere near the impact that To The Moon had on me - that game grabbed me and kept me thinking about it afterwards.  I am glad to have experienced this game - but I would probably wait until it is about half the price as it feels a little expensive for the length of time spent playing at the moment. 
Title: Re: Gone Home
Post by: Grim.Reaper on August 21, 2013, 05:38:24 PM
Quote from: ross_ntu on August 20, 2013, 08:32:32 AM
Just finished it - took three hours according to Steam.  It was good, but not great in my opinion.  I liked the way the story unfolded, finding the subtle clues etc was an interesting way of progressing the story.  The voice acting was excellent.  The story itself kept me interested.  That said, it had nowhere near the impact that To The Moon had on me - that game grabbed me and kept me thinking about it afterwards.  I am glad to have experienced this game - but I would probably wait until it is about half the price as it feels a little expensive for the length of time spent playing at the moment.

To the Moon on sale today for only $2.49 on Steam....