GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Anguille on August 15, 2013, 08:37:32 AM

Title: Tropico 5 announced...
Post by: Anguille on August 15, 2013, 08:37:32 AM


Cool...
Title: Re: Tropico 5 announced...
Post by: eyebiter on August 15, 2013, 09:03:55 AM
Wonder if they will use Steam DRM, or the Kalypso account again?
Title: Re: Tropico 5 announced...
Post by: sandman2575 on August 15, 2013, 10:05:32 AM
Man, and I just bought Tropico 4 during the Steam sale and have barely touched it.

...smokin' avatar by the way, Anguille.
Title: Re: Tropico 5 announced...
Post by: Anguille on August 15, 2013, 10:13:31 AM
Quote from: sandman2575 on August 15, 2013, 10:05:32 AM
...smokin' avatar by the way, Anguille.

Thanks...and the lady lives in my city  8)
Title: Re: Tropico 5 announced...
Post by: Nefaro on August 15, 2013, 12:09:49 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on August 15, 2013, 10:05:32 AM
Man, and I just bought Tropico 4 during the Steam sale and have barely touched it.

...smokin' avatar by the way, Anguille.

Don't worry.  If they stay true to form, Tropico 5 will just be Tropico 4 that they just crank out steady little DLCs for.

Seriously.. has anyone else played Tropico 3 and Tropico 4 base games?  They're almost exactly alike.  Maybe a couple extra buildings available in the second one?  Very much a DLC marketing scheme.  Hopefully they do something a bit more fancy with 5.

My advice... play T4 and wait on reviews.
Title: Re: Tropico 5 announced...
Post by: bbmike on August 15, 2013, 02:22:05 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 15, 2013, 12:09:49 PM
Don't worry.  If they stay true to form, Tropico 5 will just be Tropico 4 that they just crank out steady little DLCs for.

Seriously.. has anyone else played Tropico 3 and Tropico 4 base games?  They're almost exactly alike.  Maybe a couple extra buildings available in the second one?  Very much a DLC marketing scheme.  Hopefully they do something a bit more fancy with 5.

My advice... play T4 and wait on reviews.

Totally agree. I won't buy 5 unless it includes major changes to the game.
Title: Re: Tropico 5 announced...
Post by: LongBlade on August 15, 2013, 03:07:22 PM
Quote from: bbmike on August 15, 2013, 02:22:05 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 15, 2013, 12:09:49 PM
Don't worry.  If they stay true to form, Tropico 5 will just be Tropico 4 that they just crank out steady little DLCs for.

Seriously.. has anyone else played Tropico 3 and Tropico 4 base games?  They're almost exactly alike.  Maybe a couple extra buildings available in the second one?  Very much a DLC marketing scheme.  Hopefully they do something a bit more fancy with 5.

My advice... play T4 and wait on reviews.

Totally agree. I won't buy 5 unless it includes major changes to the game.

Tropico 4 was fun but was mostly incremental changes to the game.

The again, the series is so good that if they made major changes they might screw it up.
Title: Re: Tropico 5 announced...
Post by: TheCommandTent on August 15, 2013, 05:00:13 PM
This reminds me I still need to finish Tropico 4. :)
Title: Re: Tropico 5 announced...
Post by: Wolfe1759 on August 15, 2013, 05:37:29 PM
Watching the trailer my impression is that Tropico 5 could be a totally different game from previous Tropicos.

The emphasis seems to be on it being a Global game with El Prez taking over the world rather than just one island.

I may be reading more into it than there is however.
Title: Re: Tropico 5 announced...
Post by: bbmike on August 15, 2013, 05:43:59 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 15, 2013, 05:00:13 PM
This reminds me I still need to finish Tropico 4. :)

And that's another other thing. I don't know about you, but there's something about the Tropico series that fails to really hold my attention. It needs something more...
Title: Re: Tropico 5 announced...
Post by: RooksBailey on August 15, 2013, 08:55:06 PM
I purchased Tropico 4 Complete (the one with all the DLC) for like $10 early this summer.  It is a perfect summer game.   ;D  However, I agree that it gets old fast.  It needs to expand beyond just building up your island.  If Tropico 5 does indeed expand the breadth of the game into global politics, it will definitely be a step in the right direction.   

Like everyone else, I am willing to wait and see what happens with T5.  If it is like T4, I can wait for another $10 deal. 
Title: Re: Tropico 5 announced...
Post by: Anguille on August 16, 2013, 02:38:52 AM
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on August 15, 2013, 05:37:29 PM
Watching the trailer my impression is that Tropico 5 could be a totally different game from previous Tropicos.

The emphasis seems to be on it being a Global game with El Prez taking over the world rather than just one island.

I may be reading more into it than there is however.

Indeed...i've been following Haemimont games since the beginning and they tend to use the same engine twice (tropico 3 & 4, Glory of the Roman & Imperium Romanum)...I suspect something new this time.
Title: Re: Tropico 5 announced...
Post by: LongBlade on August 16, 2013, 08:37:22 AM
Quote from: bbmike on August 15, 2013, 05:43:59 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 15, 2013, 05:00:13 PM
This reminds me I still need to finish Tropico 4. :)

And that's another other thing. I don't know about you, but there's something about the Tropico series that fails to really hold my attention. It needs something more...

I always have loved Tropico. Have I played every level? No.

But the Samba music playing as I build my little island into a tropical banana republic is an experience I look forward to. Which reminds me: I should probably install Tropico 4 on this machine and give it a go.
Title: Re: Tropico 5 announced...
Post by: TheCommandTent on August 16, 2013, 10:04:07 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on August 16, 2013, 08:37:22 AM
Quote from: bbmike on August 15, 2013, 05:43:59 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 15, 2013, 05:00:13 PM
This reminds me I still need to finish Tropico 4. :)

And that's another other thing. I don't know about you, but there's something about the Tropico series that fails to really hold my attention. It needs something more...

I always have loved Tropico. Have I played every level? No.

But the Samba music playing as I build my little island into a tropical banana republic is an experience I look forward to. Which reminds me: I should probably install Tropico 4 on this machine and give it a go.

The music and radio announcements do add alot of great atmosphere to the game.
Title: Re: Tropico 5 announced...
Post by: bbmike on August 21, 2013, 05:16:58 AM
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on August 15, 2013, 05:37:29 PM
Watching the trailer my impression is that Tropico 5 could be a totally different game from previous Tropicos.

The emphasis seems to be on it being a Global game with El Prez taking over the world rather than just one island.

I may be reading more into it than there is however.
Well, it does sound like they are changing it up a bit. You move through time on your island (no world conquest  :P). If it's done right it might be interesting to watch your island change from the colonial period as it moves into the future. Hopefully there will be more external forces (nature, diplomacy) to shape it.

From Kalypso:
El Presidente returns in Tropico 5! And he is no longer on his own. In the sequel to the popular and highly acclaimed Tropico-series, players will be able to lead a whole dynasty of dictators through different eras. Starting out in the early colonial period, you'll help guide El Presidente and his loyal subjects through different periods of history until well beyond the 21st century.
Title: Re: Tropico 5 announced...
Post by: skeptical.platypus on June 02, 2014, 09:51:01 AM
Any Tropico 5 players out there? What do you think?
Title: Re: Tropico 5 announced...
Post by: undercovergeek on June 02, 2014, 10:27:06 AM
thinking about it - seen a few people drop hours and hours into these games - i had the first, that was it
Title: Re: Tropico 5 announced...
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 02, 2014, 11:07:16 AM
I got it, but have only run through the tutorial so far.
Title: Re: Tropico 5 announced...
Post by: Nefaro on June 02, 2014, 03:46:30 PM
I've still not played Tropico 4 much, despite having most of the DLC.