GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: HistoricalGamer on August 20, 2013, 04:41:51 AM

Title: Panzer General Online Announced
Post by: HistoricalGamer on August 20, 2013, 04:41:51 AM
Hey guys. I've never posted here so I hope this doesn't come off as spam, that's not my intent. I figured I would give this place a look after following a few other sites for awhile (wargamer, matrix, norbsofts forums). I hadn't seen anyone talk about this here yet but Ubisoft announced "Panzer General Online" yesterday. I would love to give this thing a try when it comes out, Panzer Corps always felt more like the later Panzer General games, I was hoping this might come off more like Panzer General 1 but I doubt it will be anything like that. Given it's a free to play browser based game I'll assume the game will be a pay to win piece of crap but I can still dream I suppose.

Anyway here's a trailer and some screens coupled with a discussion. What are your thoughts? Do you guys think the game will be worth checking out or just more mass produced AAA crapware.

Title: Re: Panzer General Online Announced
Post by: spelk on August 20, 2013, 05:09:12 AM
I think they're trying to cash in on the name, and generate some sort of income from minimal effort. From those initial screen views in the vid, I can't see it providing the free to play browser based world of gaming with a true "Panzer General" gameplay. Possibly a streamlined unit vs unit battler for lunchtime breaks, with some sort of card mechanic to try and pull the collectorheads into it and actually waft out some cash.

There was a Panzer General "Allied Assault" boardgame console conversion, I suppose did a similar thing, very streamlined, limited number of hexes (squares) and a card based battle mechanic. Perhaps this is an evolution of that? Most wargamers will probably want to stick with the likes of Panzer Corps.

Title: Re: Panzer General Online Announced
Post by: Shelldrake on August 20, 2013, 06:08:34 AM
I lost interest after watching the trailer....looked like the dime store toy soldiers I used to play with as a kid.
Title: Re: Panzer General Online Announced
Post by: SgtRock on August 20, 2013, 09:09:17 AM
Toy soldiers, huh, Ive seen better looking zombies!!! :P
Title: Re: Panzer General Online Announced
Post by: Anguille on August 20, 2013, 04:58:19 PM
I don't usually play online games. That and i will never buy any game by Ubisoft anymore...they used to be good a long time ago but now it's over....
Title: Re: Panzer General Online Announced
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 21, 2013, 11:12:10 AM
How the hell can you "dumb down" Panzer General? lol!
Title: Re: Panzer General Online Announced
Post by: RooksBailey on May 06, 2014, 11:06:43 PM
Looks like the open beta has begun:

QuoteDuring Closed Beta the development team worked closely with the community to gather feedback and implement improvements. The team optimized the mechanics of the booster packs and fine-tuned the balance of both the singleplayer and multiplayer battles. Powerful new units and command cards were introduced to add new strategic elements and completely new features including the Skirmish 2.0 multiplayer mode were added to enhance multiplayer. Skirmish 2.0 allows gamers to enter player versus player battles with pre-constructed decks so new and advanced players can face-off on equal footing. Panzer General Online will be supported by new content releases through Open Beta and into launch.



Seeing the good job Ubi did with Ghost Recon Online, I think this might be worth a try!

URL:  http://www.panzergeneral.com
Title: .
Post by: eyebiter on May 07, 2014, 01:50:45 PM
.
Title: Re: Panzer General Online Announced
Post by: Windigo on May 07, 2014, 02:20:58 PM
Quote from: RooksBailey on May 06, 2014, 11:06:43 PM
Looks like the open beta has begun:

QuoteDuring Closed Beta the development team worked closely with the community to gather feedback and implement improvements. The team optimized the mechanics of the booster packs and fine-tuned the balance of both the singleplayer and multiplayer battles. Powerful new units and command cards were introduced to add new strategic elements and completely new features including the Skirmish 2.0 multiplayer mode were added to enhance multiplayer. Skirmish 2.0 allows gamers to enter player versus player battles with pre-constructed decks so new and advanced players can face-off on equal footing. Panzer General Online will be supported by new content releases through Open Beta and into launch.



Seeing the good job Ubi did with Ghost Recon Online, I think this might be worth a try!

URL:  http://www.panzergeneral.com

ERMAGERD!!!! I am so in... if allowed