GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Johnnie on August 23, 2013, 12:00:38 PM

Title: EE IV: Gamer's Gate v. Steam
Post by: Johnnie on August 23, 2013, 12:00:38 PM
If I have to activate on Steam (or check in before I play) is there any reason (other than patronizing GG) for me to buy on GG rather than Steam?  Thanks.
Title: Re: EE IV: Gamer's Gate v. Steam
Post by: PanzersEast on August 23, 2013, 12:26:27 PM
Quote from: Johnnie on August 23, 2013, 12:00:38 PM
If I have to activate on Steam (or check in before I play) is there any reason (other than patronizing GG) for me to buy on GG rather than Steam?  Thanks.

Not really, other than which has the best price.


PE
Title: Re: EE IV: Gamer's Gate v. Steam
Post by: Nefaro on August 23, 2013, 12:27:06 PM
Quote from: Johnnie on August 23, 2013, 12:00:38 PM
If I have to activate on Steam (or check in before I play) is there any reason (other than patronizing GG) for me to buy on GG rather than Steam?  Thanks.

Absolutely.

Blue Coins.

I don't know how often you buy from Gamersgate, but I do it often enough to have a few dollars worth of Blue Coins built up when the occasional sale comes along.  Extra stuff you don't have to pay for!

I generally get DLC on sales with it (such as some of the Paradox or maybe Graviteam DLC).  Sometimes I'll even buy extra blue coins, to combine those with the ones I have, in order to get something cheaper in the end.  Either way you basically get some pocket change, in store credit, when you buy something from GG.  I've probably received about $30 worth of freebies via blue coins since frequenting the place.
Title: Re: EE IV: Gamer's Gate v. Steam
Post by: PanzersEast on August 23, 2013, 12:35:00 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 23, 2013, 12:27:06 PM
Quote from: Johnnie on August 23, 2013, 12:00:38 PM
If I have to activate on Steam (or check in before I play) is there any reason (other than patronizing GG) for me to buy on GG rather than Steam?  Thanks.

Absolutely.

Blue Coins.

I don't know how often you buy from Gamersgate, but I do it often enough to have a few dollars worth of Blue Coins built up when the occasional sale comes along.  Extra stuff you don't have to pay for!

I generally get DLC on sales with it (such as some of the Paradox or maybe Graviteam DLC).  Sometimes I'll even buy extra blue coins, to combine those with the ones I have, in order to get something cheaper in the end.  Either way you basically get some pocket change, in store credit, when you buy something from GG.  I've probably received about $30 worth of freebies via blue coins since frequenting the place.

I use to do for the same reason.. however the price can mediate the blue coins.  I have noticed that Steams prices and sales will more than make up for the small blue coins percentage you get in return JMO.  But I do not purchase enough to tally to a $30 game because I do not usually pay full price.


PE
Title: Re: EE IV: Gamer's Gate v. Steam
Post by: Nefaro on August 23, 2013, 12:41:43 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on August 23, 2013, 12:35:00 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 23, 2013, 12:27:06 PM
Quote from: Johnnie on August 23, 2013, 12:00:38 PM
If I have to activate on Steam (or check in before I play) is there any reason (other than patronizing GG) for me to buy on GG rather than Steam?  Thanks.

Absolutely.

Blue Coins.

I don't know how often you buy from Gamersgate, but I do it often enough to have a few dollars worth of Blue Coins built up when the occasional sale comes along.  Extra stuff you don't have to pay for!

I generally get DLC on sales with it (such as some of the Paradox or maybe Graviteam DLC).  Sometimes I'll even buy extra blue coins, to combine those with the ones I have, in order to get something cheaper in the end.  Either way you basically get some pocket change, in store credit, when you buy something from GG.  I've probably received about $30 worth of freebies via blue coins since frequenting the place.

I use to do for the same reason.. however the price can mediate the blue coins.  I have noticed that Steams prices and sales will more than make up for the small blue coins percentage you get in return JMO.  But I do not purchase enough to tally to a $30 game because I do not usually pay full price.


PE

It depends on when you buy something.  At times, GG is cheaper.  All depends on who may be having a sale at any certain time.
Title: Re: EE IV: Gamer's Gate v. Steam
Post by: Greybriar on August 23, 2013, 12:47:07 PM
What's EE IV?
Title: Re: EE IV: Gamer's Gate v. Steam
Post by: Nefaro on August 23, 2013, 12:51:08 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on August 23, 2013, 12:47:07 PM
What's EE IV?

Probably meant EU4.  He's using his mad Bismarck-ish typing skills.
Title: Re: EE IV: Gamer's Gate v. Steam
Post by: Darkspire on August 23, 2013, 12:54:24 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on August 23, 2013, 12:47:07 PM
What's EE IV?

Glad someone asked, I went off looking for Empire Earth IV and that is not even on the drawing board (I think)  :)

Darkspire
Title: Re: EE IV: Gamer's Gate v. Steam
Post by: Greybriar on August 23, 2013, 01:04:48 PM
Quote from: Darkspire on August 23, 2013, 12:54:24 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on August 23, 2013, 12:47:07 PM
What's EE IV?

Glad someone asked, I went off looking for Empire Earth IV and that is not even on the drawing board (I think)  :)

Darkspire

Just another example of why, at least once in every thread--preferably in the thread title, the name of the game should be mentioned in full and not abbreviated.
Title: Re: EE IV: Gamer's Gate v. Steam
Post by: Johnnie on August 23, 2013, 01:56:05 PM
Greybriar:

You are correct.  I knew it looked wrong.  And Europa Universalis is not too much to type.