GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: JudgeDredd on August 24, 2013, 12:47:13 PM

Title: SoaSE
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 24, 2013, 12:47:13 PM
Can someone help me pls

I see a red line coming from an enemy planet to one of mine. I realise it's "influence" because I built some structures that spread my influence and saw green lines going out from my planets...

So I built a Broadcast Centre at the planet that has the enemy influence line - but it doesn't seem to be going away. Do I need to counter their one broadcast centre with 2 - or once influence has been established is there no way to reverse it?
Title: Re: SoaSE
Post by: Staggerwing on August 24, 2013, 12:58:14 PM
Just to make this thread compliant with the Greybriar Rule...

SoaSE = Sins of a Solar Empire.


:D
Title: Re: SoaSE
Post by: Huw the Poo on August 24, 2013, 01:00:29 PM
Capital ships have culture repel attributes so have some in your gravity well.  Also, you can research culture bonuses.  Well, the Advent can but I assume the other two races can as well.
Title: Re: SoaSE
Post by: undercovergeek on August 24, 2013, 01:01:09 PM
sounds like clobbering time to me - i had this in an MP game with Huw, i built as many broadcast centres as i could but couldnt shut the line down - youll have to destroy their nefarious machinations in their star system
Title: Re: SoaSE
Post by: undercovergeek on August 24, 2013, 01:01:40 PM
goddamit - ninja'd by 40 seconds!
Title: Re: SoaSE
Post by: panzerde on August 24, 2013, 01:51:14 PM
Well hell, now maybe I need to play some of this too, this weekend...
Title: Re: SoaSE
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 24, 2013, 02:09:09 PM
Done. Moved some cap ships to my area and the line started to recede. Also - I sent my ships there to destroy their Broadcast station - and now all their bases are belong to us :-)

Thx
Title: Re: SoaSE
Post by: Huw the Poo on August 24, 2013, 02:44:50 PM
Good work!  Just be careful when going up against the Advent, because they get significant cultural bonuses that you may have to be prepared to counter.  Also, one of their starbase upgrades will prevent a planet falling into your hands.
Title: Re: SoaSE
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 24, 2013, 05:25:58 PM
I'm really enjoying this one...I've only really just got into it and I went through the tutorials twice (though clearly not everything stuck).

I do seem to be clicking stuff and I'm not 100% sure what the result will be. And I'm not fully aware of requirements...for example, Cruisers are not yet available to me because "tech requirement isn't met" or something like that - even though I can build capital ships and even got a Titan underway.

Plenty of money, metal and crystals thanks to my trading ports and refineries - means I can buy/sell on the black market should I so wish...but the tech tree can still be a mystery.
Title: Re: SoaSE
Post by: undercovergeek on August 24, 2013, 05:34:11 PM
IIRC some ship advancements arent necessarily down to the hull research, there are other fields such as shields and weapons to research first
Title: Re: SoaSE
Post by: Huw the Poo on August 24, 2013, 06:07:17 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 24, 2013, 05:25:58 PM
I do seem to be clicking stuff and I'm not 100% sure what the result will be. And I'm not fully aware of requirements...for example, Cruisers are not yet available to me because "tech requirement isn't met" or something like that - even though I can build capital ships and even got a Titan underway.

Yeah I suppose that is a little odd.  You need to research specific cruisers before you can build them.  And Geek is right, some of them don't become available until you've levelled up some peripheral stuff.

I'm glad you're enjoying it!  Sins is one of my all-time favourite games. :)
Title: Re: SoaSE
Post by: undercovergeek on August 24, 2013, 06:27:31 PM
lock up your daughters - hes going to suggest a three way next!!

its fine, close your eyes and think of England, or Wales - do you like sheep?
Title: Re: SoaSE
Post by: Huw the Poo on August 24, 2013, 07:21:39 PM
The only space strategy I'm in any danger of playing at the moment is Endless Space.  But if Stardrive ever comes down in price I'm 'aving it. 8)
Title: Re: SoaSE
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 25, 2013, 03:06:07 AM
I get that some things don't unlock until something else is unlocked or researched. I guess my post didn't come across like that because I mentioned being able to create other Battlecruisers and a Titan

My beef really is with the vagueness of it. "Research prerequisites not met" - that actually tells me nothing and is not helpful. What research is required?

And yet other places, the help is impeccable. For example to research a Fortified Superstructure, I need 2 Military Labs and 2 points in Hull Reinforcement. Sure - I have to dig about and see where those are - but at least it tells me what I need.

A question if I may...
Once you have totalled out a planets Logistic Capacity and Tactical Slots - is that it? There's nothing left for that planet...no research will increase your logistic capacity or tactical slots?

Thx
Title: Re: SoaSE
Post by: undercovergeek on August 25, 2013, 05:16:52 AM
nope - when its done its done - if you need to change the planets role 'ship builder, culture builder'........... you need to knock somethings down - there is research AFAIK that increases limit but whne its full its full
Title: Re: SoaSE
Post by: Huw the Poo on August 25, 2013, 05:19:18 AM
Yeah you can improve it with research...also it's worth exploring each planet you own because sometimes you get bonuses that way.  Are you playing as TEC?  I love the Advent...so much that I never play as any other race. 8)
Title: Re: SoaSE
Post by: jomni on August 25, 2013, 05:21:56 AM
Hi, how do you deal with the ever increasing power of pirate attacks?
Title: Re: SoaSE
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 25, 2013, 05:49:40 AM
^ Switched them off

I'm learning and I wanted to concentrate on what buildings and research do - so I wanted to avoid attacks. Mind you I didn't help myself by starting on a small galaxy...even with only 1 opponent it gets crowded quickly!

I do think I'm not suited to RTS games. I love em, but I'm just too slow. I was attacked by a massive force...I dispatched my fleet which took a while to jump there..and I sat there watching it. It didn't occur to me that I should get on with other things. As that battle was nearing it's end, it was becoming apparent my fleet was going to lose quite quickly - so I started building replacement ships...too late. Also One of my other less developed planets came under attack...again, too late to do anything!

What I do like about this game is attacks take considerable time. The battle will rage for quite some time giving you the chance (if you don't sit and get involved in the beauty of the battle) to continue with development and building.

There are other RTS games where by the time you realise which unit/planet is being attacked - it's too damn late to do anything about it. I hate those ones!
Title: Re: SoaSE
Post by: Shelldrake on August 25, 2013, 05:53:22 AM
SoaSE is great fun to play co-op against the AI for a change of pace.