GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Grim.Reaper on September 07, 2013, 07:21:00 AM

Title: Full Spectrum Warrior?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 07, 2013, 07:21:00 AM
I know for just $3 I should just buy and try myself, but thought I would ask beforehand anyway:)

Anyone ever play the Full Spectrum Warrior series?  Any good, especially for $3?  I remember trying the first version demo years ago and from what I remember it seemed unique at the time, but that was ages ago.  For some reason I never ended up buying it, but can't exactly recall why....thoughts?

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/full-spectrum-warrior-complete/
Title: Re: Full Spectrum Warrior?
Post by: undercovergeek on September 07, 2013, 07:31:56 AM
oh man i loved these in the dim and distant past - it was a bit on rails but id say go for it
Title: Re: Full Spectrum Warrior?
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 07, 2013, 07:47:27 AM
Great game (I didn't get Ten Hammers) - and not so much shooting (certainly from an FPS pov) - but good tactical game.

You should definitely get $3 worth and much more...though I expect it looks dated now
Title: Re: Full Spectrum Warrior?
Post by: Nefaro on September 07, 2013, 08:31:01 AM
I have the second one (Ten Hammers) and it's quite fun despite the claustrophobic interface and being led down a "hallway".  I chalk that all up to it's conshole-ishness.  But it's worth a check just because it's so unique. 

If someone ever managed to do this kind of squad strategy game, in a bit more open context, it would be excellent.  Since it leads you by the nose, there are parts that seem more like a puzzle strategy game in that there's one ideal way to succeed and you gotta figure it out.  While it may not be that clear cut, it kinda felt like it at times.

The second version (Ten Hammers) also had a part where you play as a Brit squad, which was fun.  I seem to recall their smaller ammo load making it more difficult.  Perhaps because they were using their copy of the FAL 'battle rifle' (L3?) with it's heavier 7.62 rounds?  I can't recall exactly.
Title: Re: Full Spectrum Warrior?
Post by: jomni on September 07, 2013, 08:37:49 AM
It's good. And Ten Hammers made it better.  No other game like it so it's a gem.
But you have to be a military nut to like it.  Not for everyone's tastes.
Title: Re: Full Spectrum Warrior?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 07, 2013, 08:41:19 AM
Thanks guys....sounds good enough for me to try...so bought and downloading!
Title: Re: Full Spectrum Warrior?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 07, 2013, 08:10:59 PM
Personally, I thought FSW was a big disappointment.  The mechanics involving cover, suppression and flanking were way too gamey.
Title: Re: Full Spectrum Warrior?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 07, 2013, 08:22:22 PM
Ended up buying...

FSW is pretty unplayable on my system, the mouse jumps all over the place, screen shutters, and sound sputters.

Ten hammers is playable, although it has some minor graphic glitches.....haven't got far enough yet to form an opinion, but for $3 I guess I can live with whatever it turns out to be:)
Title: Re: Full Spectrum Warrior?
Post by: ComradeP on September 09, 2013, 06:06:44 AM
FSW plays like a more sadistic version of the Brothers in Arms series, as there's less room for error, firefights are often not that interesting because they're even more "puzzle"-like than in BiA and the maps tend to be confined (which could be seen as realistic when it comes to urban warfare, but in many cases sidestreets are either missing or blocked).

It can be enjoyable, but it requires a lot of patience.
Title: Re: Full Spectrum Warrior?
Post by: jomni on September 09, 2013, 09:01:15 AM
Quote from: ComradeP on September 09, 2013, 06:06:44 AM
It can be enjoyable, but it requires a lot of patience.

Playing Combat Mission tests my patience. :)

True, there's not enough room to maneuver but Ten Hammers improved it a bit with more avenues of approach and more split squad actions.
I still ends up as a trial and error puzzle though but still engaging for me.
Title: Re: Full Spectrum Warrior?
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 09, 2013, 09:39:19 AM
I just loved the theme. The graphics (at the time), the era, the suppression, the mechanics were all enjoyable to me.

It was more of a puzzle and initially I thought "If they only allowed you to take control" - but after a while I didn't miss it much at all. I did miss (iirc) the camera not being as variable as I wished it could be...I'm sure I remember wishing I could look up more or zooming in/out...but I may be thinking of another game there.
Title: Re: Full Spectrum Warrior?
Post by: jomni on September 09, 2013, 06:31:26 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 09, 2013, 09:39:19 AM
I'm sure I remember wishing I could look up more or zooming in/out...but I may be thinking of another game there.

You can't do that in real life. :)  The perspective of a shooter despite the game not being a shooter is what makes this unique.
Title: Re: Full Spectrum Warrior?
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 10, 2013, 12:57:08 AM
I know...but you are missing real life things in games which allows me to forgive games for allowing things not allowed in real life.

Did that even make any sense?  ;D