I fired up my old copy this year and lots of problems trying to run it. If I recall it needs an internet connection but the site is no longer active.
Anyone here been able to play it on Windows 7 recently?
Thanks
Con
Last time I tried to play it (on XPSP2) the server was dead or something like that. Battlefront should stop providing it for sale since it needs the server to run even single-player (aside from some very basic functionality maybe).
As much as I love the game, for all practical purposes it is dead to me now. :'(
Fortunately, Sid Meir's recently released Ace Patrol offers some of the same flavor.
Quote from: JasonPratt on September 09, 2013, 04:47:20 PM
Last time I tried to play it (on XPSP2) the server was dead or something like that. Battlefront should stop providing it for sale since it needs the server to run even single-player (aside from some very basic functionality maybe).
As much as I love the game, for all practical purposes it is dead to me now. :'(
Fortunately, Sid Meir's recently released Ace Patrol offers some of the same flavor.
But better still would be an updated Achtung Spitfire!, Over the Reich, and a Flight Commander 2 (read 3 ;)) with the Sid Meier quality of graphics. I'd buy it. Also Charles Moylan, the programmer behind these games (and for that matter - Combat Mission) works for Battlefront. Something for Battlefront to revisit as an idea?
This has been dead for a long time. Pitty.
I'd go for Ace Patrol too.
Quote from: Boggit on September 09, 2013, 05:19:46 PM
But better still would be an updated Achtung Spitfire!, Over the Reich, and a Flight Commander 2 (read 3 ;)) with the Sid Meier quality of graphics. I'd buy it. Also Charles Moylan, the programmer behind these games (and for that matter - Combat Mission) works for Battlefront. Something for Battlefront to revisit as an idea?
If they did a new sequel, I'd be all over it. Having to purchase patches separately, or no. That's how much we wantss iiit. Preferably a Flight Commander 3.
I keep checking out Amaris' home-brewed one, and it looks like there's a second iteration being made that resembles FC2. Not sure how much he's been able to work on it lately, though. I'd hope that he gets it quite fleshed out eventually - polished enough to warrant selling it for a bit.
http://amaris-games.com/amac-ii/
http://amaris-games.com/category/amac-ii/
Some screenshots in the 'News' section if you dig around:
Early UI build:
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Famaris-games.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2FAMACII-15-1024x576.jpg&hash=f7d0003d02367f2b3a23c344a152330b42d5b14d)
Quote from: Nefaro on September 09, 2013, 07:09:36 PM
Quote from: Boggit on September 09, 2013, 05:19:46 PM
But better still would be an updated Achtung Spitfire!, Over the Reich, and a Flight Commander 2 (read 3 ;)) with the Sid Meier quality of graphics. I'd buy it. Also Charles Moylan, the programmer behind these games (and for that matter - Combat Mission) works for Battlefront. Something for Battlefront to revisit as an idea?
If they did a new sequel, I'd be all over it. Having to purchase patches separately, or no. That's how much we wantss iiit. Preferably a Flight Commander 3.
I keep checking out Amaris' home-brewed one, and it looks like there's a second iteration being made that resembles FC2. Not sure how much he's been able to work on it lately, though. I'd hope that he gets it quite fleshed out eventually - polished enough to warrant selling it for a bit.
http://amaris-games.com/amac-ii/
http://amaris-games.com/category/amac-ii/
Some screenshots in the 'News' section if you dig around:
Early UI build:
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Famaris-games.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2FAMACII-15-1024x576.jpg&hash=f7d0003d02367f2b3a23c344a152330b42d5b14d)
Wow! that does look a bit Flight Commander 2. I hope Amaris contacts Charles Moylan at Battlefront. CM wrote the games I mentioned, and could guide Amaris through a redevelopment of those gems. Just need the Sid Meier style graphics for a perfect conclusion. They were good back in the day, but I'd buy 'em again if they upgrade them.
Quote from: Boggit on September 09, 2013, 10:25:38 PM
Wow! that does look a bit Flight Commander 2. I hope Amaris contacts Charles Moylan at Battlefront. CM wrote the games I mentioned, and could guide Amaris through a redevelopment of those gems. Just need the Sid Meier style graphics for a perfect conclusion. They were good back in the day, but I'd buy 'em again if they upgrade them.
Naa... I'd rather he finish it up and get in touch with someone like Matrix or better yet publish it on Desura since they're so indie friendly. Then expand outward if need be (GOG, GG, etc). I'd rather Battlefront not have anything to do with his version - they should make FC3 or a sequel to the WW2 ones.
Looks like he has a lot of work to do yet, though, and I hope he can find the time to finish it before too long. I saw him drop in at the Wargamer forums a couple times over the past few years, but he's usually scarce. Once it gets to a beta stage, I'd like to test it.