GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: SgtRock on September 16, 2013, 09:14:11 AM

Title: Advanced Tactics Gold VS Advanced Tactics?
Post by: SgtRock on September 16, 2013, 09:14:11 AM
I'm thinking of getting Advanced Tactics Gold, how much of an improvement was the Gold version vs. the original Advanced Tactics?
Title: Re: Advanced Tactics Gold VS Advanced Tactics?
Post by: republic on September 16, 2013, 10:29:54 AM
I can't speak to the Gold vs Original, but I can say that Gold itself has changed quite a bit from the time I bought it to where it is now.

I haven't played it in quite awhile, but I did have a few regular PBEM games going at one time.
Title: Re: Advanced Tactics Gold VS Advanced Tactics?
Post by: airboy on September 16, 2013, 07:52:25 PM
I had Advanced Tactics and replaced it with Gold.  I was not unhappy with the upgrade. 

But there are several caveats.  First, I had learned the game system so having a better game when I knew the game system is always a big plus.  Second, time is my major game cost & not money. 

In terms of specifics, I don't remember any.  It was a long time ago when I made the change.
Title: Re: Advanced Tactics Gold VS Advanced Tactics?
Post by: son_of_montfort on September 16, 2013, 09:27:55 PM
Can you even buy AT vanilla anymore? IMHO, I would go with Gold. It added oil as a resource, much improved art, a but better UI, and a slew of "under the hood" improvements.
Title: Re: Advanced Tactics Gold VS Advanced Tactics?
Post by: SgtRock on September 16, 2013, 09:35:27 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on September 16, 2013, 09:27:55 PM
Can you even buy AT vanilla anymore? IMHO, I would go with Gold. It added oil as a resource, much improved art, a but better UI, and a slew of "under the hood" improvements.

I bought the original AT before AT Gold was released and trying to find out how much difference/improvements there are in AT gold to justify the purchase.

Title: Re: Advanced Tactics Gold VS Advanced Tactics?
Post by: son_of_montfort on September 16, 2013, 09:39:13 PM
Oh. I guess it depends on how much you like/play AT. If the answer is "quite a bit," I think it was well worth the upgrade.
Title: Re: Advanced Tactics Gold VS Advanced Tactics?
Post by: jomni on September 16, 2013, 09:41:38 PM
Just go for gold.
Title: Re: Advanced Tactics Gold VS Advanced Tactics?
Post by: spelk on September 17, 2013, 02:12:08 AM
Gold was a major evolution of the engine, and as such I'd say go with gold.

From Victor's ATG page

QuoteAdvanced Tactics Gold is a major revision of old Advanced Tactics. All scenarios and saved games from old Advanced Tactics are loadable by Advanced Tactics Gold game.

Advanced Tactics Gold extends the Advanced Tactics game into new territories like alliances and resources. Also the game interface has been redone and a full new graphics set has been added.

There is a short piece on the AT Gold Wiki that explains a little more.

http://www.vrdesigns.nl/atwiki/doku.php?id=overview
Title: Re: Advanced Tactics Gold VS Advanced Tactics?
Post by: agathosdaimon on September 18, 2013, 08:44:10 AM
Advanced Tactics Gold is great! i got it on sale too and started playing its Barbarossa game -very easy to learn on the go but of course alot of options in game. Although i really like WitE too, this one has a much easier to understand combat resolution, as it always just flashes by too quickly in WitE unless you remember to hit pause
another superb operational WW2 game!