GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: spelk on September 17, 2013, 11:03:53 AM

Title: Artemis Space Bridge Simulator on Steam
Post by: spelk on September 17, 2013, 11:03:53 AM
This is now out on Steam.

http://www.artemis.eochu.com/

http://artemiswiki.pbworks.com/w/page/39352331/FAQs

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92994708

How are we going to get an international Grog Federation starship up and running?
Title: Re: Artemis Space Bridge Simulator on Steam
Post by: Tpek on September 17, 2013, 02:08:32 PM
It's on my To-Get list.
Has anyone here tried it?

I've got a similar game already, Quintet.
Title: Re: Artemis Space Bridge Simulator on Steam
Post by: panzerde on September 17, 2013, 07:08:34 PM
Bought it last night because, hey, $7.  Unfortunately, my lack of friends makes it hard to play. :'(
Title: Re: Artemis Space Bridge Simulator on Steam
Post by: Nefaro on September 17, 2013, 07:31:54 PM
Do you have to jack with something like Hamachi to get it to work over the net? 

It's an excellent concept, but being a multiplayer game, it really needs more internet multiplayer features.  Other than some of the Trek SuperGeeks and their Trekkie clique, who has enough friends to not only want to play this, but do so on a LAN.  I've not attended a LAN party in ages, and I suspect it's not all that popular anymore now that internet speeds have risen so much.

Looks like a lot of unique fun, but desperately needs some matchmaking, and probably built-in voice, to get much use from most gamers.  Sadly.  :'(
Title: Re: Artemis Space Bridge Simulator on Steam
Post by: JasonPratt on September 18, 2013, 08:03:11 AM
Its Steam greenlight page automatically asks for redirection to some other places now, so here's the Steam store page instead:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/247350
Title: Re: Artemis Space Bridge Simulator on Steam
Post by: LongBlade on September 18, 2013, 11:08:13 AM
I love this idea.

I'm going to buy it. Maybe we can get together with it.
Title: Re: Artemis Space Bridge Simulator on Steam
Post by: Yskonyn on September 18, 2013, 12:42:21 PM
I have played it at a LAN party.
It's fairly simple and only a few missions are available or were working properly, but the concept is fantastic and provides for some fun evenings!
If only they would kick into the next gear developing it...
Title: Re: Artemis Space Bridge Simulator on Steam
Post by: spelk on September 18, 2013, 02:51:12 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 18, 2013, 11:08:13 AM
I love this idea.
I'm going to buy it. Maybe we can get together with it.

I've bought it, but have no-one to play it with :)

I tried to set up a solo server, but I think you need the server and a client to play it. dunno if that means you need two copies, to play solo or not. But solo would probably be a very tedious version of the game.

Skype or Google Hangout, and a team of 5 others with the game, one running a server, should work.

Here's the FAQ
http://www.artemis.eochu.com/?page_id=9

Quote
Q: The bridge license is for up to 6 computers, but I've put the game on 6 computers, and now a new buddy is replacing an old one. How can the new buddy play without breaking the 6 computer limit?

A: there's no copy protection or complicated systems or limits. I just ask that you share with your bridge crew, and not the whole world. It's okay to install your purchased game on any computer that makes up your crew. But if your crew member takes that copy and starts her own bridge crew, you should encourage her to buy her own copy.
Title: Re: Artemis Space Bridge Simulator on Steam
Post by: LongBlade on September 18, 2013, 02:58:34 PM
Quote from: spelk on September 18, 2013, 02:51:12 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 18, 2013, 11:08:13 AM
I love this idea.
I'm going to buy it. Maybe we can get together with it.

I've bought it, but have no-one to play it with :)

I tried to set up a solo server, but I think you need the server and a client to play it. dunno if that means you need two copies, to play solo or not. But solo would probably be a very tedious version of the game.

Skype or Google Hangout, and a team of 5 others with the game, one running a server, should work.

Here's the FAQ
http://www.artemis.eochu.com/?page_id=9

Quote
Q: The bridge license is for up to 6 computers, but I've put the game on 6 computers, and now a new buddy is replacing an old one. How can the new buddy play without breaking the 6 computer limit?

A: there's no copy protection or complicated systems or limits. I just ask that you share with your bridge crew, and not the whole world. It's okay to install your purchased game on any computer that makes up your crew. But if your crew member takes that copy and starts her own bridge crew, you should encourage her to buy her own copy.

Thanks for the link to the FAQ. Looks like my question is answered about how many are needed to play:

QuoteA: No. The game takes 3-6. There are 5 bridge stations (Helm, Weapons, Science, Engineering, and Comms). Only Helm and Weapons are REQUIRED to play and win the game. The others greatly enhance the game, but you can play without them. In fact, the free demo of Artemis only lets you play the Weapons and Helm stations.

I also note with glee that a server can host multiple bridges, so you can do pvp against other ships.

Sweet, we can order uniforms, too! http://incandescent-workshop-store.myshopify.com/products/artemis-uniform-pack
Title: Re: Artemis Space Bridge Simulator on Steam
Post by: panzerde on September 18, 2013, 07:40:35 PM
I'd give it a shot if we managed to get a game together.  Sounds like a good time!
Title: Re: Artemis Space Bridge Simulator on Steam
Post by: LongBlade on September 18, 2013, 08:49:20 PM
Quote from: panzerde on September 18, 2013, 07:40:35 PM
I'd give it a shot if we managed to get a game together.  Sounds like a good time!

We will. This weekend - maybe Saturday.
Title: Re: Artemis Space Bridge Simulator on Steam
Post by: jomni on September 19, 2013, 12:51:29 AM
A multi-player game without good matchmaking? They should have dropped the idea where everyone sits in  the same room and allow for easier online play.