I don't read RPS much, but I'm trying to be more PC...a little everyday til the Nazi twitches fade away...
So I went to look and RPS looks very funny. The ARMAIII review was brilliant and there was this thing about CLANG!:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/20/thud-development-of-neal-stephensons-clang-halted/#more-169662
Clang looked like it could be promising but I had to wonder. First-person sword play is kinda dicey. Gamers already have three great choices - War of the Roses, Mount & Blade, and Chivalry.
How much demand is there for another?
CLANG went SPLAT.
Quote
Oh, and in case you were worried: you're not getting your money back. Thank goodness, right?
And so the Kickstarter fail begins.
" Kickstarter is amazing, but one of the hidden catches is that once you have taken a bunch of people's money to do a thing, you have to actually do that thing, and not some other thing that you thought up in the meantime."
The above sentence in their explanation of why they cannot make the game is certainly eye opening. I didn't think it was a " hidden catch".
From the bits in the article it looks like they knew that even with the 500K+ they would still need more money.
I like RPS, but the style of some of the writers makes me want to strangle my phone sometimes.
They also received demerits for convincing me to try Neverwinter.
ugh! Just ran across this article about crowdfunding and Paypal (http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/crowdfunding-s-secret-enemy-is-paypal/1100-4743/). Seems Paypal doesn't really like/trust crowdfunding and is sometimes inserting itself into the process ???...
Quote from: magnus on September 20, 2013, 03:32:44 PM
" Kickstarter is amazing, but one of the hidden catches is that once you have taken a bunch of people's money to do a thing, you have to actually do that thing, and not some other thing that you thought up in the meantime."
The above sentence in their explanation of why they cannot make the game is certainly eye opening. I didn't think it was a " hidden catch".
From the bits in the article it looks like they knew that even with the 500K+ they would still need more money.
The truth is, a lot of the game Kickstarters are like this. They're really hoping that a successful Kickstarter spurs interest from a publisher or an interested third party with more funds.
Quote from: Swatter on September 20, 2013, 04:27:03 PM
I like RPS, but the style of some of the writers makes me want to strangle my phone sometimes.
They also received demerits for convincing me to try Neverwinter.
Couldn't agree more. I like the site but sometimes their writing style is so awful, forced humor where no humor is needed, that they are almost unreadable.