Is the better of the series.... more troop diversity, interesting situations, naval operations etc...... I liked the initial release of AJE, however the only the civil wars campaign was remotely interesting.. but the Birth of Rome and Spartacus and Cantabrian Wars is where it is at for the series.
PE
I also tend to enjoy the earlier Republic era stuff, due to the diversity in opponents and the very expansionistic tendencies of all involved. While legion vs legion can be okay, I still much prefer variety. Especially when there are more & smaller factions in a scenario.
I've still not fired up the First Punic War scenario, and that's probably one of the exceptions in BOR, being a long drawn-out war against one large opposing faction. Fortunately it's still not a somewhat repetitive Legion vs Legion confrontation.
Quote from: Nefaro on September 22, 2013, 09:29:35 AM
I also tend to enjoy the earlier Republic era stuff, due to the diversity in opponents and the very expansionistic tendencies of all involved. While legion vs legion can be okay, I still much prefer variety. Especially when there are more & smaller factions in a scenario.
I've still not fired up the First Punic War scenario, and that's probably one of the exceptions in BOR, being a long drawn-out war against one large opposing faction. Fortunately it's still not a somewhat repetitive Legion vs Legion confrontation.
I agree... I tend to lose interest beyond one scenario in AJE, however the First Punic War scenario for example has variety and is a slug fest.... Overall if you enjoyed AJE but found it getting repetitive or had lack of variety, then you should try out the other offerings of AJE.
PE
Thanks for the observations, gents. I've been mulling over getting BOR all weekend and this tips the scales. I'm in an operational/strategic mood and this should do the trick. I was going to spring for ACW2, but think I'll wait a few weeks for the bugs to get hammered out.
Quote from: panzerde on September 22, 2013, 10:41:17 AM
Thanks for the observations, gents. I've been mulling over getting BOR all weekend and this tips the scales. I'm in an operational/strategic mood and this should do the trick. I was going to spring for ACW2, but think I'll wait a few weeks for the bugs to get hammered out.
No prob, I recommend it.... my favorite AGEOD game. Can't believe I waited sooooo long to pick up BOR after playing AJE for a long time. And honestly, AJE felt like a prep for BOR.
PE
I preferred AJE. I think it comes down to scenario preference. If you like post Marian legions and civil wars it AJE...if you like The early wars it's BOR. Both are fantastic.
Quote from: mikeck on September 22, 2013, 11:48:58 AM
I preferred AJE. I think it comes down to scenario preference. If you like post Marian legions and civil wars it AJE...if you like The early wars it's BOR. Both are fantastic.
I favor the Marian reforms, however lack of variety kills it for me. Caesar vs Vercingetorix anyone???
PE
Quote from: PanzersEast on September 22, 2013, 12:28:15 PM
Quote from: mikeck on September 22, 2013, 11:48:58 AM
I preferred AJE. I think it comes down to scenario preference. If you like post Marian legions and civil wars it AJE...if you like The early wars it's BOR. Both are fantastic.
I favor the Marian reforms, however lack of variety kills it for me. Caesar vs Vercingetorix anyone???
PE
I don't find it repetitive. I play the mithradates vs rome (Sulla) scenario and the Pompey v Caesar civil war primarily and each time they play a little difference. It's a real challenge going up against professional legions instead of stomping greasy barbarians... I would love a Gallic campaign though
How is the Punic war scenario in Bor? Can the AI handle playing as the Carthaginians?
Quote from: mikeck on September 22, 2013, 02:28:21 PM
How is the Punic war scenario in Bor? Can the AI handle playing as the Carthaginians?
As mentioned.. I haven't played that one yet. It is a LONG game. From what I understand, Carthage's only big advantage during the First Punic War was it's initial naval supremacy, but the Romans managed to catch up in that category. Regarding the scenario, I believe a few players have mentioned that there will be times of conflict and lulls where each side is trying to rebuild it's forces & such, afterward.
I've mostly just played some Italic expansion wars with Rome, although I may fire up the one with Pyrrhus starting off in Magna Graecia, as Epirus to play a faction using Macedonian style phalanxes.
Don't get me wrong, AJE is also a wonderful game. It also has some variety in it too. For example, there are still a couple scenarios with the option to lead Non-Roman factions in AJE (such as Pontus in the Sulla vs Marius one). I just find the BOR scenarios have more & varied factions per map area, and more options regarding playing them in general. They're both great strategy games.
I really hope they come out with another release. As you can guess, everyone clamors for a 2nd Punic War scenario.
Yes. 2nd Punic and the Gallic wars. also the Dacians
Quote from: mikeck on September 22, 2013, 04:59:21 PM
Yes. 2nd Punic and the Gallic wars. also the Dacians
Any or all of the above, please!
Not to derail the thread, but have y'all played Matrix's Hannibal:Rome & Carthage In The 2nd Punic War? I like it a lot. It has nice stylized art, wicked A.I.,and is very boardgamey. It's also quite difficult.
The biggest drawback is lack of replayability, since it only has one scenario and you can only play as Carthage. Still, there are random event cards and rule variations that mitigate that somewhat.
The developer was supposedly working on a new title for Matrix, but I haven't heard anything about it in a while, so it may be a dead project.
Quote from: tgb on September 22, 2013, 09:47:08 PM
Not to derail the thread, but have y'all played Matrix's Hannibal:Rome & Carthage In The 2nd Punic War? I like it a lot. It has nice stylized art, wicked A.I.,and is very boardgamey. It's also quite difficult.
The biggest drawback is lack of replayability, since it only has one scenario and you can only play as Carthage. Still, there are random event cards and rule variations that mitigate that somewhat.
The developer was supposedly working on a new title for Matrix, but I haven't heard anything about it in a while, so it may be a dead project.
It's a wonderful game. The AI can beat the snot out of you, and not just because it can have the numbers advantage. It can be downright devious.
The artwork is excellent & unique. It still holds it's tabletop game roots well, even down to the counters.
While replayability could be an issue, I found it easy to have a different experience every time, after the initial march over the Alps and stopover in Cisalpine Gaul. Especially when you crank the difficulty/ruleset up to where the Carthaginian senate is dictating part of the overall strategy and troop allocation. My biggest complaint would be some of the learning curve because, like many old tabletop wargames, there a lot of little special rules to learn. Luckily there is a nice in-game manual to help in that endeavor, along with tutorials.
I've been looking forward to his next game, which will reportedly have two playable sides. I'm not sure what the setting will be but I believe it's still a Classical/Roman period thing. 8)
As an extra note.. beta testing this game was probably the most fun I've ever had doing so. I can't express enough just how open and receptive the developer was to suggestions, it was always a pleasant experience. That's saying a lot because I've beta tested for other wonderfully easy-going and receptive developers. I hope he's making progress on the next one, because the guy has talent.
Dammit Nefaro, you're making me want to go find my copy of Hannibal and reinstall it. I picked it up last year, but never got very far with it (I was distracted by too many other good games!).
Yeah, me too. I bought it, never played it and then uninstalled it. I love playing as Rome and am not big on "cards" in my combat games. May have to give it a shot
Quote from: mikeck on September 22, 2013, 12:38:12 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on September 22, 2013, 12:28:15 PM
Quote from: mikeck on September 22, 2013, 11:48:58 AM
I preferred AJE. I think it comes down to scenario preference. If you like post Marian legions and civil wars it AJE...if you like The early wars it's BOR. Both are fantastic.
I favor the Marian reforms, however lack of variety kills it for me. Caesar vs Vercingetorix anyone???
PE
I don't find it repetitive. I play the mithradates vs rome (Sulla) scenario and the Pompey v Caesar civil war primarily and each time they play a little difference. It's a real challenge going up against professional legions instead of stomping greasy barbarians... I would love a Gallic campaign though
+1 for a Gallic Campaign
Quote from: Nefaro on September 23, 2013, 11:21:16 AM
Quote from: tgb on September 22, 2013, 09:47:08 PM
Not to derail the thread, but have y'all played Matrix's Hannibal:Rome & Carthage In The 2nd Punic War? I like it a lot. It has nice stylized art, wicked A.I.,and is very boardgamey. It's also quite difficult.
The biggest drawback is lack of replayability, since it only has one scenario and you can only play as Carthage. Still, there are random event cards and rule variations that mitigate that somewhat.
The developer was supposedly working on a new title for Matrix, but I haven't heard anything about it in a while, so it may be a dead project.
It's a wonderful game. The AI can beat the snot out of you, and not just because it can have the numbers advantage. It can be downright devious.
The artwork is excellent & unique. It still holds it's tabletop game roots well, even down to the counters.
While replayability could be an issue, I found it easy to have a different experience every time, after the initial march over the Alps and stopover in Cisalpine Gaul. Especially when you crank the difficulty/ruleset up to where the Carthaginian senate is dictating part of the overall strategy and troop allocation. My biggest complaint would be some of the learning curve because, like many old tabletop wargames, there a lot of little special rules to learn. Luckily there is a nice in-game manual to help in that endeavor, along with tutorials.
I've been looking forward to his next game, which will reportedly have two playable sides. I'm not sure what the setting will be but I believe it's still a Classical/Roman period thing. 8)
As an extra note.. beta testing this game was probably the most fun I've ever had doing so. I can't express enough just how open and receptive the developer was to suggestions, it was always a pleasant experience. That's saying a lot because I've beta tested for other wonderfully easy-going and receptive developers. I hope he's making progress on the next one, because the guy has talent.
I never managed to beat the AI. I got ground down and killed - a bit like the real thing... ::)
Quote from: Boggit on September 23, 2013, 05:00:35 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 23, 2013, 11:21:16 AM
Quote from: tgb on September 22, 2013, 09:47:08 PM
Not to derail the thread, but have y'all played Matrix's Hannibal:Rome & Carthage In The 2nd Punic War? I like it a lot. It has nice stylized art, wicked A.I.,and is very boardgamey. It's also quite difficult.
The biggest drawback is lack of replayability, since it only has one scenario and you can only play as Carthage. Still, there are random event cards and rule variations that mitigate that somewhat.
The developer was supposedly working on a new title for Matrix, but I haven't heard anything about it in a while, so it may be a dead project.
It's a wonderful game. The AI can beat the snot out of you, and not just because it can have the numbers advantage. It can be downright devious.
The artwork is excellent & unique. It still holds it's tabletop game roots well, even down to the counters.
While replayability could be an issue, I found it easy to have a different experience every time, after the initial march over the Alps and stopover in Cisalpine Gaul. Especially when you crank the difficulty/ruleset up to where the Carthaginian senate is dictating part of the overall strategy and troop allocation. My biggest complaint would be some of the learning curve because, like many old tabletop wargames, there a lot of little special rules to learn. Luckily there is a nice in-game manual to help in that endeavor, along with tutorials.
I've been looking forward to his next game, which will reportedly have two playable sides. I'm not sure what the setting will be but I believe it's still a Classical/Roman period thing. 8)
As an extra note.. beta testing this game was probably the most fun I've ever had doing so. I can't express enough just how open and receptive the developer was to suggestions, it was always a pleasant experience. That's saying a lot because I've beta tested for other wonderfully easy-going and receptive developers. I hope he's making progress on the next one, because the guy has talent.
I never managed to beat the AI. I got ground down and killed - a bit like the real thing... ::)
I won a handful of games, but they usually involved a lot of focus (and some luck) on gaining the naval advantage while capturing some weaker cities on the east side of Italia, then turtling up with Hannibal in southern Italy to recruit while waiting for reinforcements from Africa and/or Spain. Oftentimes the Roman AI would up and attack one of those with a naval landing and wipe out my recruits, maybe even capture the area.
Hrmm.. makes me also wanna fire it up again. The AI always seemed to sniff out where I was weakest and strike there. The interesting thing is that the Roman commanders are programmed to behave somewhat like their historical counterparts in that after you win some open field battles against them, they'll start trying to avoid a big engagement with Hannibal's army for a time, until they're quite ready later on.
BTW...
Parthian Wars is the next AJE expansion.
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/513/details/Alea.Jacta.Est-.Parthian.Wars
Don't recall if that was linked earlier.