GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: solops on September 22, 2013, 10:13:47 AM

Title: Space Engine - another space 4x
Post by: solops on September 22, 2013, 10:13:47 AM
Does anyone know anything about "Space Engine"? It is a free space exploration game found here:

http://en.spaceengine.org/load/core/spaceengine0970/2-1-0-17

I have not tried it yet (my satellite internet bandwidth is already all used up for the month).
Title: Re: Space Engine - another space 4x
Post by: Huw the Poo on September 22, 2013, 10:25:28 AM
I don't think it's a game, sounds more like a planetarium.
Title: Re: Space Engine - another space 4x
Post by: Martok on September 22, 2013, 10:34:52 AM
Yeah, my impression is it's more a gigantic space simulator than a true "game".  Looks cool, though. 

Title: Re: Space Engine - another space 4x
Post by: solops on September 22, 2013, 10:38:58 AM
Yeah, I should not have put "4x" in the title and now I cannot fix it. It does look interesting. I wonder if it will be the basis for a real 4x game.
Title: Re: Space Engine - another space 4x
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 22, 2013, 11:27:23 AM
I see some beautiful screenshots taken in this engine.  For some reason, it never looks as good on my screen.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong...
Title: Re: Space Engine - another space 4x
Post by: Darkspire on September 22, 2013, 01:05:29 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 22, 2013, 11:27:23 AM
I see some beautiful screenshots taken in this engine.  For some reason, it never looks as good on my screen.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

If your comment is regarding the planets in our solar system they are in a lo res texture and are somewhat flat, its in the list of things to do, I think, there are some hi-res ones here:
http://en.spaceengine.org/load/additional/3 (http://en.spaceengine.org/load/additional/3)
If you go further out in the galaxy the procedurally generated planets are much better looking.

Darkspire