GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Al on September 23, 2013, 12:31:20 PM

Title: Latest Matrix Deal o' the Week
Post by: Al on September 23, 2013, 12:31:20 PM
Matrix is offering Battles in Normandy and Battle in Italy for $19.99 ea.  Know support for these is not around anymore but are they worth getting at this price?  The scale is right at what I like but don't know much else about them.
Title: Re: Latest Matrix Deal o' the Week
Post by: Rayfer on September 23, 2013, 12:34:18 PM
I had played a demo awhile back and liked it....the demo is probably still available, it includes some extensive tutorials, it should give you an idea if you like the game.  I was just over at their site a few minutes ago and the Normandy game is still showing at $49.99. I wonder when it will show up as $19.99?
Title: Re: Latest Matrix Deal o' the Week
Post by: steve58 on September 23, 2013, 01:00:11 PM
Rayfer - Prices are correct ($19.99) when you click on Buy and go to the Plimus store...
Title: Re: Latest Matrix Deal o' the Week
Post by: Rayfer on September 23, 2013, 03:17:17 PM
Quote from: steve58 on September 23, 2013, 01:00:11 PM
Rayfer - Prices are correct ($19.99) when you click on Buy and go to the Plimus store...

Thanks steve58....I was checking all afternoon, didn't realize it wouldn't show on the Matrix page. Downloading it now.
Title: Re: Latest Matrix Deal o' the Week
Post by: Al on September 23, 2013, 08:44:54 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on September 23, 2013, 12:34:18 PM
I had played a demo awhile back and liked it....the demo is probably still available, it includes some extensive tutorials, it should give you an idea if you like the game.  I was just over at their site a few minutes ago and the Normandy game is still showing at $49.99. I wonder when it will show up as $19.99?

Thanks for the heads  up on the demo.  I think I'll pass.  The maps look good but everything else is a bit too much for my eyes.
Title: Re: Latest Matrix Deal o' the Week
Post by: GDS_Starfury on September 23, 2013, 10:22:53 PM
those maps look like topography for blind people.
Title: Re: Latest Matrix Deal o' the Week
Post by: -budd- on September 24, 2013, 01:27:01 AM
both are quality products. I didn't play alot of Normandy but played alot of battles in Italy. Battles in Italy has the most user made scenarios of the series. If it's your type of thing you will get your monies worth for sure at that price. give the demo a spin to be sure.
Title: Re: Latest Matrix Deal o' the Week
Post by: MC on September 24, 2013, 06:04:46 PM
I don't think my video card can run this since it only supports 281.5 trillion colors. Oh well....  ;)
Title: Re: Latest Matrix Deal o' the Week
Post by: Nefaro on September 24, 2013, 07:23:22 PM
Don't these only run at 1024x768 or lower?

I enjoyed Korsun Pocket, love the game system.  But the lower resolution could be troublesome these days.
Title: Re: Latest Matrix Deal o' the Week
Post by: Bison on September 24, 2013, 07:24:04 PM
Quote from: MC on September 24, 2013, 06:04:46 PM
I don't think my video card can run this since it only supports 281.5 trillion colors. Oh well....  ;)

Ha!
Title: Re: Latest Matrix Deal o' the Week
Post by: ComradeP on September 25, 2013, 10:29:04 AM
The DB series games are limited to a lower resolution than the one you might be using now, as Nefaro pointed out. However, I've never felt that was a problem as most of the maps are not that big to begin with.

Playing Kharkov: DotD's Across the Dnepr 2 (a remake of the expansion for Korsun Pocket), the last full game by SSG, in a higher resolution does work well.

Battles in Normandy's a good game, but I'd suggest getting some of the fan-made or revised Normandy scenarios and leaving the stock scenario alone.

Battles in Italy has the widest range of scenarios, although I am not a big fan of the stock scenarios there either due to the way the CRT's influence the fighting in Italy. In most SSG games, it is common to have a big gap between open/clear terrain and even slightly difficult terrain, which can mean enemy stacks are almost impossible to remove in some scenarios where there's no gap in unit quality between attacker and defender (as the defenders are usually Germans, the defenders will be comparable with - or better than the Allied attacker most of the time).

If you're in doubt which one to get, I'd suggest buying BiI.