GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on October 08, 2013, 03:09:17 PM

Title: Universum: War Front
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 08, 2013, 03:09:17 PM
I'll admit it...I don't read through every edition of GARPA, but hopefully we've reported on this one...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starworksart/universum-war-front-fps-rts-moba-rpg-in-one-space (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starworksart/universum-war-front-fps-rts-moba-rpg-in-one-space)
Title: Re: Universum: War Front
Post by: Huw the Poo on October 08, 2013, 03:23:20 PM
Phwoar, that looks a bit sexy!  I don't generally caress Kickstarter projects, but I'll definitely sex it if it gets released.

Splendid new avatar by the way, Jarhead!
Title: Re: Universum: War Front
Post by: Martok on October 08, 2013, 03:38:45 PM
Even though the game appears to be outside of my preferred genres, I'll admit it looks kinda hawt. 

Title: Re: Universum: War Front
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 08, 2013, 06:24:32 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 08, 2013, 03:23:20 PM

Splendid new avatar by the way, Jarhead!

Love the ZF-1.

"...the always-efficient flamethrower...my favorite"
Title: Re: Universum: War Front
Post by: Nefaro on October 08, 2013, 11:17:49 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 08, 2013, 06:24:32 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 08, 2013, 03:23:20 PM

Splendid new avatar by the way, Jarhead!

Love the ZF-1.

"...the always-efficient flamethrower...my favorite"

Gary Oldman had some excellent characters back in the day, especially the villains.  Like the pimp in True Romance.

"Maybe this fool's such a bad mother***er, he don't got to worry about nothin', he just sit down, eat my Chinese, watch my TV." See? You ain't even sat down yet. On that TV there, since you been in the room, is a woman with her breasteses hangin' out, and you ain't even bothered to look. You just been clockin' me. Now, I know I'm pretty, but I ain't as pretty as a couple of t!tt!es."

and

"He must have thought it was white boy day. It ain't white boy day, is it? "

;D
Title: Re: Universum: War Front
Post by: undercovergeek on October 09, 2013, 04:02:56 AM
Made by one man?!

But rts/fps/moba?
Title: Re: Universum: War Front
Post by: spelk on October 09, 2013, 04:22:32 AM
MOBA *shudder*
Title: Re: Universum: War Front
Post by: mikeck on October 09, 2013, 07:09:35 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 08, 2013, 11:17:49 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 08, 2013, 06:24:32 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 08, 2013, 03:23:20 PM

Splendid new avatar by the way, Jarhead!

Love the ZF-1.

"...the always-efficient flamethrower...my favorite"

Gary Oldman had some excellent characters back in the day, especially the villains.  Like the pimp in True Romance.

"Maybe this fool's such a bad mother***er, he don't got to worry about nothin', he just sit down, eat my Chinese, watch my TV." See? You ain't even sat down yet. On that TV there, since you been in the room, is a woman with her breasteses hangin' out, and you ain't even bothered to look. You just been clockin' me. Now, I know I'm pretty, but I ain't as pretty as a couple of t!tt!es."

and

"He must have thought it was white boy day. It ain't white boy day, is it? "

;D

"I'm not eating because I'm not hungry...I'm not sitting cause I'm not staying. I'm not watching the movie 'cause I seen it 7 years ago... its'the Mac' with max Julian and Richard Pryor and I ain't scared of you...I just don't like you"
Title: Re: Universum: War Front
Post by: W8taminute on October 09, 2013, 10:29:56 AM
Has any company successfully pulled off a RTS/FPS game before?  Look at the bold claims Buka Entertainment made with Pacific Storm.  Here was a game where you could conquer a strategic map, manage unit production factories, ship oil to fuel those factories, and more.  Then when you entered battle you could chose to either manage the battle strategically or jump right in and pilot a plane, captain a sub/battleship/cruiser/etc and turn the tide of battle.

That game was an abysmal failure.  It's not that easy to merge 2 let alone 3 different game types into one package and not have glitches. 

The guys is from Boston however so for that reason only I wish him nothing but success.  Maybe he can pull it off because he seems to have put in a lot and I mean a lot of work and research into his game based on those screenies.
Title: Re: Universum: War Front
Post by: Huw the Poo on October 09, 2013, 11:44:38 AM
Nuclear Dawn did it well in my opinion.  Also there was a game that's regarded as a classic but I can't remember the name...Unnatural Selection maybe?
Title: Re: Universum: War Front
Post by: RooksBailey on October 09, 2013, 05:18:17 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 09, 2013, 10:29:56 AM
Has any company successfully pulled off a RTS/FPS game before?  Look at the bold claims Buka Entertainment made with Pacific Storm.  Here was a game where you could conquer a strategic map, manage unit production factories, ship oil to fuel those factories, and more.  Then when you entered battle you could chose to either manage the battle strategically or jump right in and pilot a plane, captain a sub/battleship/cruiser/etc and turn the tide of battle.

That game was an abysmal failure.  It's not that easy to merge 2 let alone 3 different game types into one package and not have glitches. 

The guys is from Boston however so for that reason only I wish him nothing but success.  Maybe he can pull it off because he seems to have put in a lot and I mean a lot of work and research into his game based on those screenies.

I've always wanted a RTS/FPS hybrid, but like you point out, every attempt so far has been less than stellar.  The closest we ever seem to get is a shooter with some sort of "commander mode".  This looks like another good idea, but I must remain cautiously pessimistic. 
Title: Re: Universum: War Front
Post by: Staggerwing on October 09, 2013, 05:30:48 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 09, 2013, 10:29:56 AM
That game was an abysmal failure.  It's not that easy to merge 2 let alone 3 different game types into one package and not have glitches.

I have to admit that Pacific Storm mostly passed under my radar. Why was it a failure?
Title: Re: Universum: War Front
Post by: W8taminute on October 10, 2013, 08:33:54 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 09, 2013, 05:30:48 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 09, 2013, 10:29:56 AM
That game was an abysmal failure.  It's not that easy to merge 2 let alone 3 different game types into one package and not have glitches.

I have to admit that Pacific Storm mostly passed under my radar. Why was it a failure?

The game is quite enjoyable playing as either the Japanese or the Americans before war breaks out.  It's fun researching tech and putting new models into production.  Ferrying supplies, troops, oil back and forth is also fun from a logistics management point of view. 

The problem for me was that once war broke out and you lost a base, if you did not recapture it within a certain time limit you got this warning.  Lose two more bases and fail to recapture them and the game is over.  That broke the game for me. 
Title: Re: Universum: War Front
Post by: son_of_montfort on October 10, 2013, 09:21:26 PM
Could they please throw more acronyms in the title? I won't back unless the description looks like a military manual (or one of Smuck's normal posts).
Title: Re: Universum: War Front
Post by: Tpek on August 15, 2015, 09:30:35 AM
There seems to be a new game in Steam's Early Access that looks auspiciously like Universum:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/392580/

It's even made by the same guy, with the same logo and the old universum website redirects there.

But so far us KS backers didn't get any key or headsup about a name change or Steam release.