GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Tuna on October 13, 2013, 11:01:50 AM

Title: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: Tuna on October 13, 2013, 11:01:50 AM
I've been playing CMBN PBEM games with Con for 4 or 5 games now...
Con upgraded to MG.. Now when he sends me a turn.. I go into saved games and it doesn't show up.
We tried starting 'new' games and to no avail it does not work.

This is the only thing that has changed in our situation (Con getting MG).

Also tried starting a game with Judge (he can't see my files to load, and he says he doesn't have MG, but maybe we are not the same version either - we both have 2.0 though).

Is this a known issue, i.e. MG players can no longer play with lesser configurations?

I tried searching on Battlefront Forum, but can't find anything. I was going to post, but it's not accepting my ID for some reason.

Grim, if you're readin.. could you send me a test game (if you haven't upgraded)? We don't have to play.. I just want to see if it's working..

thanks

Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: panzerde on October 13, 2013, 11:11:45 AM
I ran into this problem with the Tactical Problem scenarios form Bil Harding's blog.  He's running MG and the 2.10 update, I'm running 2.01, which (at least at the time) was the latest released version.  Looking at the patches page, it looks like there's no patch yet to update 2.01 to 2.10.  Hopefully those of us without MG will get a patch soon!

Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: Tuna on October 13, 2013, 11:24:14 AM
Ok.. that's kind of what I figured was causing the issue.. Grim (who I played before is sending me a file) he hasn't gotten it yet.. so if it works.. then I guess that's the issue...

So they will release a 2.10 patch for the non MG owners as well at some point?
Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: panzerde on October 13, 2013, 11:36:47 AM
I haven't read anything saying they will or won't, I'm assuming there will be some method of upgrading 2.01 to 2.10 short of buying MG, but that's just an assumption.  With Battlefront, it could be that the MG module *is* the upgrade...
Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: Tuna on October 13, 2013, 11:44:48 AM
Yeah.. just got 'confirmation' on The Blitz  :(

Oh well, that kind of sucks..

lol.. now I wonder why Judge and I can't play.. wonder if I have a lil patch after 2.0 that he doesn't, or vice versa..
Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: jomni on October 13, 2013, 06:33:15 PM
Go get MG because it has some nice enhancements / tweaks for urban combat.  I think it will make Normandy better.
That said, I don't have both games yet.
Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: Tuna on October 13, 2013, 06:43:59 PM
Quote from: jomni on October 13, 2013, 06:33:15 PM
Go get MG because it has some nice enhancements / tweaks for urban combat.  I think it will make Normandy better.
That said, I don't have both games yet.

I have FSX stuff higher on my lists right now!!!.. Rex.. AirHauler!
Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: panzerde on October 13, 2013, 08:43:41 PM
I'm sure I'm going to pick up MG soon.  Unfortunately in the past three weeks I've bought War in the East and an expansion, Battles in Italy, Command and Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm.  I think I better give it a rest for a few weeks or I'll be sleeping out in the yard!
Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: Staggerwing on October 13, 2013, 09:04:17 PM
Will your computer's power cord reach all the way to the yard?
Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: Bison on October 13, 2013, 09:08:41 PM
Is it snowing yet?  Do you own a tent or a large dog house?
Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: panzerde on October 14, 2013, 05:35:34 PM
Excellent points, gentlemen.  When my old rig died a couple of weeks ago, I sprang for a gaming laptop.  I have a decent tent and a good sleeping bag.

I see no further obstacles to purchasing MG tonight!
Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: Tuna on October 14, 2013, 06:01:06 PM
I thought this would run on my laptop, because CMSF did.. but it would never start for me.. wouldn't even load to where I could activate it.
Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: jomni on October 14, 2013, 06:18:52 PM
Quote from: Tuna on October 13, 2013, 06:43:59 PM
Quote from: jomni on October 13, 2013, 06:33:15 PM
Go get MG because it has some nice enhancements / tweaks for urban combat.  I think it will make Normandy better.
That said, I don't have both games yet.

I have FSX stuff higher on my lists right now!!!.. Rex.. AirHauler!

Good move.
Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: panzerde on October 14, 2013, 07:49:51 PM
Quote from: Tuna on October 14, 2013, 06:01:06 PM
I thought this would run on my laptop, because CMSF did.. but it would never start for me.. wouldn't even load to where I could activate it.

I had a pretty decent gaming system, but the MSI GT70 I picked up runs circles around it.  It's honestly more of a desktop replacement.  Core i7, 12GB RAM, GTX 770M graphics card with 3GB video ram.  I imagine it won't run but two to three hours off the mains, but it'll give me some high-end gaming capabilities when travelling.

I'm planning a trip to Normandy next June, and I fully intend to sit in the hotel in Bayeaux after walking the beaches and play at least one game of CMBN...
Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: Con on January 14, 2014, 02:34:41 PM
Sort of reserecting this thread for another question on CMBN and MG module. 

Can you play PBEM quick battles on Market Garden battle maps if one of the players only have CMBN v2.0 but not the MG module?

I suspect no but I couldnt find a definitive answer

Any suggestions?

I am getting ready for a rematch with Tuna and while he has upgraded to CMBN to the latest patch (see that wasnt so hard now was it :>)  He still is languishing in the I spent too much on Christmas games doldrums to shell out for Market Garden.  Meanwhile I am doing bridge assaults and eating dutch Gouda on dykes and it would be niffty if he could join me on those maps

Thanks
Con
Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: WallysWorld on January 14, 2014, 02:55:19 PM
Wrong thread!
Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: Con on January 14, 2014, 03:00:10 PM
I dont think its the wrong thread it was started to answer a question by Tuna and myself on PBEM for CMBN.  Now I am working on trying to get a PBEM QB with Tuna and I want to know if we can use MG QB maps or not?

Seems to fit pretty well but I would prefer to have an answer instead of debate worthiness of thread topics

Thanks
Con
Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: Nefaro on January 14, 2014, 04:47:02 PM
I was of the understanding that every player needed the same CMx2 version for a multi-player matchup.  I would think that it would be the same for content if it is so for the base packages. 

However, I've not really played CMBN much and definitely not in multi-player so don't take this speculation as truth.  Perhaps you could make a copy of the scenario/map, send it to him, and load it up in custom battle mode but that would likely draw accusations.

They should really switch to a more modular update & DLC system so at least people with different combinations of expansions can play together, if not use the same maps.  I think that was how it was how CMx2-WW2 was originally supposed to be.  ???
Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: WallysWorld on January 14, 2014, 05:26:33 PM
Quote from: Con on January 14, 2014, 03:00:10 PM
I dont think its the wrong thread it was started to answer a question by Tuna and myself on PBEM for CMBN.  Now I am working on trying to get a PBEM QB with Tuna and I want to know if we can use MG QB maps or not?
Seems to fit pretty well but I would prefer to have an answer instead of debate worthiness of thread topics
Thanks
Con

Sorry, I mean to write that I posted in the wrong thread. My fault and not yours.
Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: Con on January 14, 2014, 05:42:35 PM
no problem...the internet is renowned for the fact that miscommunications never happen on it  ;)
Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: Tuna on January 14, 2014, 07:06:19 PM
LOL.. spent too much on FSX add ons.. not Xmas games!!! Which I am still addicted too.. could pass someday... I've been doing some Rome II here and there.. and Sid Mieirs Ace Patrol  on my laptop..

Send me a MG battle doesn't hurt to try, but I assume it won't work.. it is at least good that Battlefront turned around and patched it so Non MG owners could play MG owners!
Title: Re: Question for Battlefront CM experts
Post by: Yskonyn on January 15, 2014, 02:16:13 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 14, 2014, 04:47:02 PM
I was of the understanding that every player needed the same CMx2 version for a multi-player matchup.  I would think that it would be the same for content if it is so for the base packages. 



This is true. You can only play against an opponent if you have the same version.
If you started you game on the vanilla game, but one of the players updated to a module or newer patch, you will not be able to continue unless the other updates too.
Even then, there have been reports of corrupted saves while trying to load the old game into the patched up version.