GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 14, 2013, 10:06:37 AM

Title: Civ V: Brave New World AI turn times
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 14, 2013, 10:06:37 AM
I fired up a new game of Civ V this weekend as I finally bought the Brave New World DLC.  I'm finding that it now takes a looooonnnggg time for the game to process the AI turns.  Has anyone else found this?   I'm at about 1500 AD and it's now taking upwards of 2-3 minutes for each turn to process.  I assume this is due to the caravans moving about but I'm not sure.

Anyone else finding the turn times longer now?  I tried putting on fast movement but it doesn't seem to make much of an impact.
Title: Re: Civ V: Brave New World AI turn times
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 14, 2013, 10:42:46 AM
there have been times that it seems to crank slowly, but I haven't experimented with different settings to compare too greatly.

My Venice game a few weeks ago was very city-state heavy (38 or so) and obviously very trade-heavy, but didn't seem to crank too slowly.  I played a Shoshone game not long ago that had a lot of combat and seemed to take forever for some turns and others breezed by.  I wonder if it's off-screen combat that's a factor?
Title: Re: Civ V: Brave New World AI turn times
Post by: Gusington on October 14, 2013, 12:22:51 PM
I had some slight slowdown but it was barely noticeable.
Title: Re: Civ V: Brave New World AI turn times
Post by: Yskonyn on October 14, 2013, 01:25:10 PM
I am running it on a 386, so yeah.. its darn slow. :D

No seriously, its been slightly slower at times, but I have not had 2 to 3 minute processing times. What are your specs?
Title: Re: Civ V: Brave New World AI turn times
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 14, 2013, 01:57:22 PM
I don't think it's combat.  My game was been unnervingly peaceful so far.  There are 12 civs and 20 city states in the game.  I randomized the map and ended up with a huge archipelago map.  Everyone's fairly spread out with Poland (me), Denmark, Persia, and Carthage on one land mass.  The Danes, Persians, and Carthagenians have been occasionally fighting it out, but that's about it as far as I know.

My PC specs are:

Intel Core i7-3930k @ 3.2GHz
16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon 3GB 7970 videocard

Title: Re: Civ V: Brave New World AI turn times
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 14, 2013, 02:36:20 PM
maybe it's because you're playing Poland? ;)
Title: Re: Civ V: Brave New World AI turn times
Post by: Mrs Darwin on October 15, 2013, 03:02:52 PM
All jokes aside, when I play as Poland, AI turns seem much longer than with other civs.
Title: Re: Civ V: Brave New World AI turn times
Post by: Gusington on October 15, 2013, 07:10:22 PM
^Are you the good Captain's wife?
Title: Re: Civ V: Brave New World AI turn times
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 15, 2013, 08:52:18 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 15, 2013, 07:10:22 PM
^Are you the good Captain's wife?

you don't read sig lines, do you?
Title: Re: Civ V: Brave New World AI turn times
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 15, 2013, 08:58:38 PM
Yeah, Civ V runs awfully slow in the late game, but I chalked that up to my desktop PC which is six years old but still handling the games, fortunately. I think it was a lot worse with GnK than with BNW, though.

I tuned down the graphic options - most notably the sea/water effects, and it helped speed things up a little.