GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Nefaro on October 18, 2013, 06:08:01 AM

Title: Space Rangers HD - Released
Post by: Nefaro on October 18, 2013, 06:08:01 AM
Looks like the HD upgrade of Space Rangers 2 Reboot has arrived and includes extra gameplay additions along with higher resolution support.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SRHDAWA/space-rangers-hd-a-war-apart

:D


Edit: Steam key at Gamersgate, so it must be Steam-only.
Title: Re: Space Rangers HD - Released
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 18, 2013, 06:44:09 AM
This is another one that, despite all the rave reviews and impressions, just never clicked with me.  I really wanted to like it, but the universe never compelled me. :(
Title: Re: Space Rangers HD - Released
Post by: Tpek on October 18, 2013, 06:58:52 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 18, 2013, 06:08:01 AM
Looks like the HD upgrade of Space Rangers 2 Reboot has arrived and includes extra gameplay additions along with higher resolution support.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SRHDAWA/space-rangers-hd-a-war-apart

:D


Edit: Steam key at Gamersgate, so it must be Steam-only.

Anything else new?
It just seems they continuously release the same game over and over with tiny improvements that would fit in a patch.
Title: Re: Space Rangers HD - Released
Post by: SgtRock on October 18, 2013, 09:18:16 AM
Quote
Anything else new?
It just seems they continuously release the same game over and over with tiny improvements that would fit in a patch.


Higher price! $19.95 ::)
Title: Re: Space Rangers HD - Released
Post by: Tpek on October 18, 2013, 10:17:43 AM
Quote from: SgtRock on October 18, 2013, 09:18:16 AM
Quote
Anything else new?
It just seems they continuously release the same game over and over with tiny improvements that would fit in a patch.


Higher price! $19.95 ::)

LoL. Seems so indeed  ;D
Title: Re: Space Rangers HD - Released
Post by: Arctic Blast on October 18, 2013, 05:24:16 PM
And yet, in every single thread anywhere about 'hoped for' games, all that I see are "A remake of blah de blah!" or "I wish they'd re-do something or other, just with nicer visuals!"

You can't blame devs for going to the remake well when it's all that people keep whining for.
Title: Re: Space Rangers HD - Released
Post by: Tpek on October 18, 2013, 06:13:45 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 18, 2013, 05:24:16 PM
And yet, in every single thread anywhere about 'hoped for' games, all that I see are "A remake of blah de blah!" or "I wish they'd re-do something or other, just with nicer visuals!"

You can't blame devs for going to the remake well when it's all that people keep whining for.

1) Who wished this game to be remade for the 3rd/4th time in such a sort sequence of time.

2) Remaking a game usually means giving it improved graphics, enhanced features and such. Not taking the exact same game with a tiny difference in it and a new price tag.
Title: Re: Space Rangers HD - Released
Post by: Nefaro on October 18, 2013, 06:25:53 PM
Sounds like they added a whole new Pirate rpg path, along with new text adventures, ground maps (bleh ground combat sucks), a few more pieces of ship equipment, larger font options and other stuff.  I'm guessing the pirate thing is the biggest addition.  It's still SR2.

Is it worth twenty bucks over the previous versions?  I dunno, but the older versions were removed from online retail so it's the only one of it's kind currently for sale.  I'd consider it an expansion despite being a standalone, and there are numerous companies charging more than an 'Old Hickory' for their expansion pack.  I'm thankful they added higher resolution support and more 'stuff' for twenty bucks. 
Title: Re: Space Rangers HD - Released
Post by: Huw the Poo on October 19, 2013, 02:28:43 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 18, 2013, 06:25:53 PM
Is it worth twenty bucks over the previous versions?

For the benefit of anyone who hasn't played SR2 before, I'd say yes, easily.  I've owned SR2 since its first (Western) release and got many times more than $20 out of it.  It's a phenomenally good game.
Title: Re: Space Rangers HD - Released
Post by: son_of_montfort on October 19, 2013, 01:37:30 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 18, 2013, 06:44:09 AM
This is another one that, despite all the rave reviews and impressions, just never clicked with me.  I really wanted to like it, but the universe never compelled me. :(

You might give it another try. I find that you really need a good starting position (which is randomized) to really get the ball rolling in SR2.

I beat it once, after a lot of investment. I got the HD version and I am happy with the $ spent, as it makes one of my favorite games playable on my screen. They have also improved the translation, so that helps. Pirates also tend to be a major force now, I don't remember pirate conquests in the previous version, but I could be crazy.
Title: Re: Space Rangers HD - Released
Post by: FarAway Sooner on October 19, 2013, 02:06:22 PM
I loved this game and played it a lot 5 or 6 years ago when it came out.  If I had more time, I'd probably make the purchase again, even if the additional content is modest, just because I liked the franchise so much.

And what other computer games do you take time out from hunting genocidal robots in a turn-based RPG-like environment to apply Boolean logic and perhaps higher-level algebra to one-off quests.  I'll never forget that dang quest where I had to play strip poker with the 70-year old secretary to secure the Top Secret documents for one of my benefactors!   ;D
Title: Re: Space Rangers HD - Released
Post by: KyzBP on October 19, 2013, 08:14:47 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on October 19, 2013, 01:37:30 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 18, 2013, 06:44:09 AM
This is another one that, despite all the rave reviews and impressions, just never clicked with me.  I really wanted to like it, but the universe never compelled me. :(

You might give it another try. I find that you really need a good starting position (which is randomized) to really get the ball rolling in SR2.

I beat it once, after a lot of investment. I got the HD version and I am happy with the $ spent, as it makes one of my favorite games playable on my screen. They have also improved the translation, so that helps. Pirates also tend to be a major force now, I don't remember pirate conquests in the previous version, but I could be crazy.

Pretty much everything SoM just said. 
Title: Re: Space Rangers HD - Released
Post by: Nefaro on October 20, 2013, 03:15:33 AM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on October 19, 2013, 01:37:30 PM
Pirates also tend to be a major force now, I don't remember pirate conquests in the previous version, but I could be crazy.

The Pirate stuff is a new addition in this version.