GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: SgtRock on October 19, 2013, 10:34:09 AM

Title: Esports I don't get it?
Post by: SgtRock on October 19, 2013, 10:34:09 AM
Why does it seem every other MMO is turning to Esports? I could understand trying this with a Sports game but, games like Guild Wars 2, a casual MMO, I just don't get. ??? If this is such a good idea why aren't there Soccer, NFL Football, Hockey or Basketball Esport games? Can anyone imagine Elder Scrolls On-line turning into a Esport game? :P


Title: Re: Esports I don't get it?
Post by: Huw the Poo on October 19, 2013, 11:00:56 AM
Well, the genre is new (excepting the original DOTA mod) and is very popular at the moment.  There's a surprising amount of money in it, too.  As with all new genres, there'll be a proliferation of games, some of which will be successful, most of which won't.  Then the next big thing will emerge, and the circle of life continues.
Title: Re: Esports I don't get it?
Post by: SgtRock on October 19, 2013, 12:10:51 PM
If it's so popular, how come no one is making Esport only games?
Title: Re: Esports I don't get it?
Post by: CptHowdy on October 19, 2013, 12:26:01 PM
wasn't starcraft the original esport game? or maybe it was one of those FPS like quake?? I mean they would televise starcraft matches in south korea. any of the moba games could be considered esport only games. you just have to hope that when you develop the game that players will flock to it. it has to offer something that LoL or Dota doesn't.
Title: Re: Esports I don't get it?
Post by: Huw the Poo on October 19, 2013, 12:57:16 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on October 19, 2013, 12:10:51 PM
If it's so popular, how come no one is making Esport only games?


Uh...what?
Title: Re: Esports I don't get it?
Post by: Arctic Blast on October 19, 2013, 08:02:30 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on October 19, 2013, 12:10:51 PM
If it's so popular, how come no one is making Esport only games?

This doesn't really make any sense. Why would they do that? If a game has a popular MP environment, it perhaps gets played as an ESport. Why would they need a game specifically designed for that?
Title: Re: Esports I don't get it?
Post by: SgtRock on October 20, 2013, 09:36:13 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 19, 2013, 08:02:30 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on October 19, 2013, 12:10:51 PM
If it's so popular, how come no one is making Esport only games?

This doesn't really make any sense. Why would they do that? If a game has a popular MP environment, it perhaps gets played as an ESport. Why would they need a game specifically designed for that?

If it's so popular, why wouldn't they, the industry is all about jumping on the lasted bandwagon (dragons, zombies, etc.). I'll bet it's because Esport is just a sub-gene for a small core of rabid players and not popular enough for it's own games. For the life in me I can't figure why Anet is trying to turn WvW into a Esport games, unless they really have just run out of ideas.



Title: Re: Esports I don't get it?
Post by: JasonPratt on October 20, 2013, 09:46:15 AM
Quote from: SgtRock on October 19, 2013, 10:34:09 AM
If this is such a good idea why aren't there Soccer, NFL Football, Hockey or Basketball Esport games?

If real sports are so popular, why don't people just invent totally new sports to commercialize and broadcast, instead of relying on sports that were invented and popularized well before they became commercialized?

Even basketball, which is the most recently invented sport in that list, was popularized before someone decided to make it commercial; whereas on the other hand, people can and do already watch real life soccer, American football, hockey, basketball, baseball, rugby etc. as much as they want, so why would someone make an Esport out of games simulating commercialized sports?

Whereas magical swordfighting, or leading Tyrannid-esque creatures to over-run a group of Space Marines and mystical space elves, isn't something people already do in real life which has long since been converted to a commercial sport.
Title: Re: Esports I don't get it?
Post by: Huw the Poo on October 20, 2013, 09:56:14 AM
Quote from: SgtRock on October 20, 2013, 09:36:13 AM
I'll bet it's because Esport is just a sub-gene for a small core of rabid players and not popular enough for it's own games.

I really don't get what you're talking about.  Any esport is going to be a video game, right?  So there will always be people who play it for the fun of it, just as people will play it competitively.  Just as kids will kick a football around a field for fun, while others will make a living off it.

It's clear you have some kind of axe to grind with esports.  That's fine.  But this thread makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Title: Re: Esports I don't get it?
Post by: Toonces on October 20, 2013, 02:30:02 PM
I actually want to understand what's going on here.

Esports is "Electronic sports"?  So what does that mean when every MMO is going Esports? 

Serious question.  I don't do MMO's but I'm all about keeping abreast of gaming trends.  This one has me confused.
Title: Re: Esports I don't get it?
Post by: Staggerwing on October 20, 2013, 02:36:21 PM
I'm a bit lost here as well but I gather it refers to playing some kind of competitive game as a sort of sideline activity wholly within the larger scope of an MMO, perhaps as a break from the regular shooting, hacking, questing, and loot-gathering.
Title: Re: Esports I don't get it?
Post by: CptHowdy on October 20, 2013, 04:04:06 PM
it's the PvP portion of the game. WoW has tournaments and stuff, guild wars 1 had the same thing. I think all mmo would like to cater to that portion of the gaming community but you have to go all in. it cant be half assed. I think sgtrock is upset that guild wars 2 is focusing their efforts on this part of the game instead of enhancing the MMO portion. thus he is asking why not just make a game that caters to this if it is so popular.
Title: Re: Esports I don't get it?
Post by: Arctic Blast on October 20, 2013, 06:03:12 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on October 20, 2013, 09:36:13 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 19, 2013, 08:02:30 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on October 19, 2013, 12:10:51 PM
If it's so popular, how come no one is making Esport only games?

This doesn't really make any sense. Why would they do that? If a game has a popular MP environment, it perhaps gets played as an ESport. Why would they need a game specifically designed for that?

If it's so popular, why wouldn't they, the industry is all about jumping on the lasted bandwagon (dragons, zombies, etc.). I'll bet it's because Esport is just a sub-gene for a small core of rabid players and not popular enough for it's own games. For the life in me I can't figure why Anet is trying to turn WvW into a Esport games, unless they really have just run out of ideas.

But why would they, when they can develop a game for Eports communities AND for mass sales? I am truly baffled by your entire argument. Running out of ideas or not doesn't even figure in to this. They're focusing on anything that might bring in more attention, since attention=players and players=money.

Quote from: Toonces on October 20, 2013, 02:30:02 PM
I actually want to understand what's going on here.

Esports is "Electronic sports"?  So what does that mean when every MMO is going Esports? 

Serious question.  I don't do MMO's but I'm all about keeping abreast of gaming trends.  This one has me confused.

It actually tends to be more prevalent in standard multi-player games, particularly popular entries in the shooter and RTS categories. It's huge in some game communities.
Title: Re: Esports I don't get it?
Post by: HistoricalGamer on October 21, 2013, 02:57:15 AM
Quote from: SgtRock on October 19, 2013, 12:10:51 PM
If it's so popular, how come no one is making Esport only games?

It's not THAT new, MLG (Major League Gaming) has been around for many years now, it's just starting to get mainstream but its been around awhile and has included a decent amount of money for awhile though the level at which it's at now may be unsustainable. Then again the Poker fad which definitely died out has still lead to poker tournaments still being incredibly popular compared to what they were before the fad.