GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: SgtRock on October 20, 2013, 05:57:14 PM

Title: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: SgtRock on October 20, 2013, 05:57:14 PM
I'm going to give Lineage II and Aion a try some time this week. Still looking for that GW 2 replacement, while I enjoyed Guild Wars 2, until there is some new longer term level 80+ content I'm done with it. The short term 2 week content they tried has been a mixed bag, jump through a new hoop each release for a new shiny, got old fast.















Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: Steelgrave on October 20, 2013, 06:05:58 PM
LotR Online, although I haven't fired it up in a few weeks.
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: republic on October 20, 2013, 06:09:49 PM
I play occasionally:

World of Tanks
Mechwarrior Online


I also have a Rift and Star Wars Old Republic account...but I'm still in the intro areas
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: Staggerwing on October 20, 2013, 06:14:31 PM
I've played the original Planetside and also was a WW2OL'er almost full time from 2001 to 2007 (and I'm still subbed though I don't have the time to invest that's needed to stay sharp). I've also regularly dropped in to the Cavern in the ongoing Uru open source project and occasionally checked out Second Life. That's about it, though I've also played a smidgen of WoT like most here.
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on October 20, 2013, 06:39:38 PM
I'm trying this thing called life.
the graphics are amazing.
the npc's far less so.
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: Greybriar on October 20, 2013, 10:43:03 PM
I am almost MMO-free. I play World of WarCraft about thirty minutes a day and World of Tanks about once every month or two.

EVE Online, EverQuest, Lord of the Rings Online, and Runes of Magic are only on my hard drive because I haven't gotten around to uninstalling them yet.
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: jomni on October 20, 2013, 10:54:17 PM
Microsoft Flight Simulator X + VATSIM
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: CptHowdy on October 21, 2013, 12:05:43 AM
log into eve every now and then. skilling up so I can run incursions. I would do some planetside 2 or world of tanks but my desktop is down. currently doing gaming on a laptop which limits me  :'(
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: Nefaro on October 21, 2013, 01:21:59 AM
I've been MMO'd out the last couple years.  Been doing some War Thunder on occasion, although that's not really an MMORPG.  Will likewise check out World of Warplanes again now that their control scheme has reportedly had some big improvements in the last udpate.

Yep.. just some match-based persistent arcade sims, waiting impatiently for the warship ones.
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: Dolan50 on October 21, 2013, 02:23:09 AM
"I'm trying this thing called life.
the graphics are amazing.
the npc's far less so."

I play that game daily!
While the graphics are excellent,alot of the characters in that game suck and the penalties for killing them are very stringent,plus you can't blow stuff up without a really good reason. LOL
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: LongBlade on October 21, 2013, 09:03:30 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on October 20, 2013, 10:43:03 PM
I am almost MMO-free. I play World of WarCraft about thirty minutes a day and World of Tanks about once every month or two.

EVE Online, EverQuest, Lord of the Rings Online, and Runes of Magic are only on my hard drive because I haven't gotten around to uninstalling them yet.

It seemed like at one point you were the MMO dude.

Why the burnout?
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: Greybriar on October 21, 2013, 09:32:12 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on October 21, 2013, 09:03:30 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on October 20, 2013, 10:43:03 PM
I am almost MMO-free. I play World of WarCraft about thirty minutes a day and World of Tanks about once every month or two.

EVE Online, EverQuest, Lord of the Rings Online, and Runes of Magic are only on my hard drive because I haven't gotten around to uninstalling them yet.

It seemed like at one point you were the MMO dude.

Why the burnout?

I got burned out on WoW; it's mostly daily quests repeated over and over again if you aren't into dungeons and even if you are it boils down to lots of repetition.

And the Free-to-Play MMOs I've played just aren't my cup of tea. I'd much prefer the subscription based models that used to be the norm, but even they seem flat anymore.

Or perhaps after 14+ years I've outgrown MMOs.
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: Martok on October 21, 2013, 10:23:41 AM
I have Star Trek Online and Lord of the Rings Online installed on my PC, but I barely touch them -- as much out of fear I'll get hopelessly addicted, as for the sheer time sink they represent... 

Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: FlickJax on October 21, 2013, 12:01:50 PM
Just WoT's now but still on it nearly every day, just hit 16000 battles :(
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: Tpek on October 21, 2013, 01:14:58 PM
I'm always in/out of various MMOs.

From Star Trek Online, to DC Universe Online, Marvel Heroes, Star Wars Old Republic, GW2 and what not :P
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: Yskonyn on October 21, 2013, 01:20:52 PM
Final Fantasy XIV is my new MMO home and the sole MMO I still play.
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: Tpek on October 21, 2013, 01:32:39 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on October 21, 2013, 01:20:52 PM
Final Fantasy XIV is my new MMO home and the sole MMO I still play.

I tried it and found it rather boring.

It also tries hard to dress everyone in silly pink dresses.
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: Yskonyn on October 21, 2013, 02:27:45 PM
Quote from: Tpek on October 21, 2013, 01:32:39 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on October 21, 2013, 01:20:52 PM
Final Fantasy XIV is my new MMO home and the sole MMO I still play.

I tried it and found it rather boring.

It also tries hard to dress everyone in silly pink dresses.

Was that before or after the relaunch? If before, then it deserves a second look if you're into FF games.
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: Tpek on October 21, 2013, 03:23:15 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on October 21, 2013, 02:27:45 PM
Quote from: Tpek on October 21, 2013, 01:32:39 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on October 21, 2013, 01:20:52 PM
Final Fantasy XIV is my new MMO home and the sole MMO I still play.

I tried it and found it rather boring.

It also tries hard to dress everyone in silly pink dresses.

Was that before or after the relaunch? If before, then it deserves a second look if you're into FF games.

It was after the relaunch. And I'm not exactly into FF games TBH.
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: Yskonyn on October 21, 2013, 03:29:35 PM
Fair enough. ;)
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: Nefaro on October 21, 2013, 08:49:22 PM
Quote from: Tpek on October 21, 2013, 01:14:58 PM
I'm always in/out of various MMOs.

From Star Trek Online, to DC Universe Online, Marvel Heroes, Star Wars Old Republic, GW2 and what not :P

I still fire up Marvel Heroes on occasion, mainly because it's pure action-rpg and therefore simple enough to jump in and smash sh!t without having to figure out all the unrecognizable game changes every time I log in.
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: SgtRock on October 21, 2013, 08:52:37 PM
No one mentioned Neverwinter, how has that held up?

Funny thing about MMO's is I've only liked 2 and once I quit an MMO, I never go back.
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: Nefaro on October 21, 2013, 08:58:16 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on October 21, 2013, 08:52:37 PM
No one mentioned Neverwinter, how has that held up?

Funny thing about MMO's is I've only liked 2 and once I quit an MMO, I never go back.

I thought it was okay.. for an over-the-shoulder Action RPG.  The action was kinda fun but as an MMO it wasn't anything special since the character customization was rather anemic.  Also, like many new free-to-play MMOs, the cash shop, onslaught of various tokens, coins, bonuses, etc seemed to make the numerous in-game currencies and exchanges far too diluted and confusing. 

I do plan on checking it out again soon, and giving it a good go.  Since I'm burned out on traditional MMORPGs, these more action-oriented ones may be the short-term solution to my MMORPG apathy, taken in short pieces.
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: Tpek on October 22, 2013, 12:16:48 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 21, 2013, 08:58:16 PM
various tokens, coins, bonuses, etc seemed to make the numerous in-game currencies and exchanges far too diluted and confusing. 

That's quite an understatement :P

The multitude currencies are an extremely annoying thing.
Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: SgtRock on October 22, 2013, 12:45:07 PM
Well I tried Lineage II last night for about 45min, bad movement and camera controls. Any MMO that doesn't use WASD for movement, count me out!

Maybe I'll give Neverwinter a try this weekend, I don't like shooters, so that removes several and I'm afraid Guild Wars 2 may have me too spoiled to enjoy any of the current crop of MMO's I'm looking forward to the next gen MMO's, the up coming Bless looks interesting.





Title: Re: What MMO's are you playing?
Post by: Rekim on October 22, 2013, 07:17:15 PM
I've been playing Firefall for about a year now and still enjoying it. I'd describe it as a melding of a first person shooter & mind craft. Very different. I don't typically play shooters. UT3 is pretty much the only FPS I had played before.