Does anybody here play the Lego games? I know they are primarily marketed to a younger crowd, but I just can't help myself. I recently purchased Lego Star Wars: Clone Wars 3, Lego Batman 2 and the newly released Lego Marvel Superheroes. There are just so many things to do in them and so many unlockable playable characters...the last few titles even have some pretty comprehensive free roam areas and Star Wars even has a strategic battle/skirmish mode.
The humor is corny and sometimes childish, but big open world super hero and star wars games are few and far between...these sort of scratch the itch. Also, when I just don't have the mental patience or acuity to plan combined air and naval operations in something as complex as Command: MNAO, or prepare a defense of the Fulda Gap in FP:C, these lego games give me a relaxing, carefree getaway. When she is old enough, I hope games like these will be a great gateway into gaming with my daughter...
I know a bunch of friends that LOVE the Lego Batman franchise.
I played one of the Lego Star Wars games with Bayonet Jr for a half hour one day, before he got upset that I was going to slow for him and asked me to leave.
Yeah, Hiimori and I we also play them, we own several of them but we usually suck at the puzzles :P
I have the lego Star Wars trilogy.... 8)
^That is the one thing that annoys me about the Lego games. I'm not a huge fan of puzzles. I would like these games more if it was all just about running (or flying) around and blowing things up, rather than having to use 'x' special ability to perform 'y' task so that you can reach 'z' location.
Otherwise, a lot of fun...
I've played the Star Wars games, but don't own any. They were enjoyable, and as I used to play with Lego a lot when I was younger, it felt like a sort of natural evolution to play with Lego on consoles as well.
Whenever I want to give my gaming brain a temporary rest I play World of Tanks.
Usually after a few hours of that,I'm ready to get back into something more complex or just read a book.
Quote from: Dolan50 on October 23, 2013, 10:03:41 AM
Whenever I want to give my gaming brain a temporary rest I play World of Tanks.
Usually after a few hours of that,I'm ready to get back into something more complex or just read a book.
I'm shocked to hear you play anything other than Graviteam Tactics... :P
I've been doing a lot of reading on the American Civil War again lately.
And have been looking at different games that cover that war recently.
I have a few board games on the American Civil War but my cat hates them.
Think I may start on Vassal or Cyber board to began gaming the subject soon and give the Russian front a break for awhile.
Looked at Scourge of War but I'm not a fan of the graphics and because the graphics are very good in GTOS I've now become a graphics whore and find it hard to play PC games that don't have the same quality.
I still fire up a Quick battle every so often with GTOS but I'm not much into the campaign aspects of the game anymore.
I've played the first Indiana Jones Lego game. Quite fun with some really funny parts that made me LOL.
I think the game is worthwhile to waste away some free time.
Just so we're all agreed: there is no plural of Lego. You build things out of Lego bricks, or just Lego, but never Legos.
My kids have a lot of the Lego video games and they seem fun. And I actually thought the humour was pretty good.
Quote from: Father Ted on October 23, 2013, 05:31:51 PM
Just so we're all agreed: there is no plural of Lego. You build things out of Lego bricks, or just Lego, but never Legos.
My kids have a lot of the Lego video games and they seem fun. And I actually thought the humour was pretty good.
Actually, we are not all agreed. According to at least one grammar nazi:
QuoteThere is no grammatical rule that says a proper noun cannot be used to refer to a countable object. "Mac" is a proper noun. It's a name of a product but it is also used to refer to the individual Macintosh machines, i.e., "Macs". Think of car companies, like Honda, BMW, and Porsche. When we refer to their cars, we say, "Hondas", "BMWs", and "Porsches". BMW's own site uses the plural form: "Today's BMWs are equipped with..." And, Porsche's own site says, "Barely any two Porsches are identical."
So, I would say "LEGOs" is perfectly fine if you are referring to the pieces of LEGO. It is however wrong to say "LEGOs", if you are referring to the brand/company.
And, this should be a sparate issue from how the company officially uses the term for their marketing and communication. They could have their own policies but that does not make "LEGOs" grammatically incorrect. The correct use of a word is not determined by the person who coined it.
^^^
Just to clarify - that was not me
and I will tell you that when I step on a bunch of them going into my son's room to wake him up in the morning, the proper term is "f*&@n' legos!"
I've played Star Wars and Batman. Good fun. I'd eventually like to play the Lord of the Rings one.
My son is a huge fan of both the real thing and the games. He gave us his old Wii and Lego Indiana Jones. I just have not had time to check it out. He will be all over the Avengers game I'm sure.
Lego Avengers? ???
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 23, 2013, 09:15:29 PM
Lego Avengers? ???
Um. YEAH.
http://marvel.com/news/story/19916/lego_marvel_super_heroes_game_on_the_way
Quote from: DoctorQuest on October 23, 2013, 09:33:28 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 23, 2013, 09:15:29 PM
Lego Avengers? ???
Um. YEAH.
http://marvel.com/news/story/19916/lego_marvel_super_heroes_game_on_the_way
Watched the preview on Ginx and it really does look good and plays well, I think it was mentioned that there are over 150 characters, very open ended and according to Ginx the best of the games so far, from what i saw I would have to agree.
Darkspire
The S.H.I.E.L.D. Heli-carrier....totally awesome.
Lego Avengers...that i would buy too...
FWIW...I am on a longer than expected hiatus from playing Lego Lord of the Rings. Overall a good game with lots of fun stuff and a massive world to explore. I am not rushing through the game as I want to enjoy each setting I encounter, so I am not quite at the gates of Moira. Fun stuff, though.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 23, 2013, 07:43:29 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on October 23, 2013, 05:31:51 PM
Just so we're all agreed: there is no plural of Lego. You build things out of Lego bricks, or just Lego, but never Legos.
My kids have a lot of the Lego video games and they seem fun. And I actually thought the humour was pretty good.
Actually, we are not all agreed. According to at least one grammar nazi:
QuoteThere is no grammatical rule that says a proper noun cannot be used to refer to a countable object. "Mac" is a proper noun. It's a name of a product but it is also used to refer to the individual Macintosh machines, i.e., "Macs". Think of car companies, like Honda, BMW, and Porsche. When we refer to their cars, we say, "Hondas", "BMWs", and "Porsches". BMW's own site uses the plural form: "Today's BMWs are equipped with..." And, Porsche's own site says, "Barely any two Porsches are identical."
So, I would say "LEGOs" is perfectly fine if you are referring to the pieces of LEGO. It is however wrong to say "LEGOs", if you are referring to the brand/company.
And, this should be a sparate issue from how the company officially uses the term for their marketing and communication. They could have their own policies but that does not make "LEGOs" grammatically incorrect. The correct use of a word is not determined by the person who coined it.
No. no no. This person has it wrong. A BMW car is an individual thing, and so it's reasonable to talk about BMWs. There's one Beamer, oh, and there's another...so that's two BMWs. There's some Lego, oh and there's some more...so that's some Lego. Lego is a singular thing, it's a system. The Lego bricks are not called anything (other than bricks), they are part of the system. Similarly, we have a toy construction system over here called "Meccano" - the individual bits are not "meccanos".
All of which has nothing to do with the videogames, so sorry, and no more posts from me on the topic
AFA real Lego pieces go, when did you guys get your first bunch? I had them in my toy box as early as 1967 and we refers to the bits as 'Legos' (say that with a Dutch accent and it sounds like you are coughing up a lugie!) so I declare the plural form acceptable based on A priori usage.
I say Legos for multiple Lego pieces on the floor. "Hey, pick up your damned Legos so I stop stepping on them! Or next time I throw the Legos in the trash can!."
I have always wondered why a Lego Transformers has never been made, probably license problems. Could make a Zoids one though, that could be fun.
Darkspire
For me, the plural form has always simply been "Legos". Every kid I've ever known calls them the same.
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 24, 2013, 07:25:41 PM
AFA real Lego pieces go, when did you guys get your first bunch? I had them in my toy box as early as 1967 and we refers to the bits as 'Legos' (say that with a Dutch accent and it sounds like you are coughing up a lugie!) so I declare the plural form acceptable based on A priori usage.
Got my first Lego set when I was four or five. It was a town set -- something like a mechanic's shop, I believe.
Quote from: Darkspire on October 24, 2013, 07:43:04 PM
I have always wondered why a Lego Transformers has never been made, probably license problems. Could make a Zoids one though, that could be fun.
Darkspire
There actually are "Lego" Transformer sets, but they're made by a different company (hence they're not actually called Lego).
Quote from: Bison on October 24, 2013, 07:32:48 PM
I say Legos for multiple Lego pieces on the floor. "Hey, pick up your damned Legos so I stop stepping on them! Or next time I throw the Legos in the trash can!."
+293485720394871023948572304985720349857230496871239458127.3508237460928347
I think I just had some ordinary blocks as my first set. Just a bunch of 2x4 bricks and some odd other shapes and sizes, somewhere around '78 or so.
I am from the Tinkertoy generation. I did a pretty good Fireball XL-5 in my day........
Quote from: DoctorQuest on October 24, 2013, 08:35:04 PM
I am from the Tinkertoy generation. I did a pretty good Fireball XL-5 in my day........
^Lol! Nice! Thanks, DS......
Yeah. I even built the launch track and sled...... Good times.
Quote from: Father Ted on October 23, 2013, 05:31:51 PM
Just so we're all agreed: there is no plural of Lego. You build things out of Lego bricks, or just Lego, but never Legos.
I love me some Legos. With the amount of funds I've dumped into that company over the past decades, I'll call those little barefoot banes anything I durn well please, and the Danes'll have no problem with it. ;D