GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: LongBlade on October 24, 2013, 12:50:39 PM

Title: Haunting Photos
Post by: LongBlade on October 24, 2013, 12:50:39 PM
A collection of photos of abandoned buildings.

I found these more depressing than haunting, but they're certainly fitting for the approach of Halloween.

http://news.yahoo.com/ghost-haunted-photos-abandoned-buildings-andre-govia-210849823.html
Title: Re: Haunting Photos
Post by: Dolan50 on October 24, 2013, 01:16:29 PM
Try google street view of Detroit,you can see 100s of buildings like that.
Very sad.
Title: Re: Haunting Photos
Post by: Gusington on October 24, 2013, 06:17:18 PM
These pictures make me sad too. Buildings like these will never be built again.
Title: Re: Haunting Photos
Post by: LongBlade on October 24, 2013, 07:42:44 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 24, 2013, 06:17:18 PM
These pictures make me sad too. Buildings like these will never be built again.

That bear with the abandoned items on the table. Who was it that left it? Why? And for it to go untouched for who-knows-how-long? Amazing.

As for the buildings, I agree. I'd love to renovate them to keep their majesty. Just need some spending cash first...
Title: Re: Haunting Photos
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 24, 2013, 07:45:07 PM
I guess I'm a freak.  I see those and I don't feel depressed.  Instead, my curiosity is piqued.  I want to go in and explore. 
Title: Re: Haunting Photos
Post by: Gusington on October 24, 2013, 07:48:29 PM
^Oh me too, but more often I feel I was born 100 years too late to not see all these great places in their glory. But then again if I was born in 1874 all these places would seem common and every day.
Title: Re: Haunting Photos
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 24, 2013, 08:02:29 PM
My fears would be of the more prosaic variety.  "If I go in there, am I going to get fined or detained for trespassing?"  "If I go in there, are the floors and stairwells still structurally sound enough to support my weight?"  "If I go in there, am I going to kick up the dust of 200+ years of dessicated rat droppings and get some sort of horrible lung infection?"

Title: Re: Haunting Photos
Post by: LongBlade on October 24, 2013, 08:44:53 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 24, 2013, 08:02:29 PM
My fears would be of the more prosaic variety.  "If I go in there, am I going to get fined or detained for trespassing?"  "If I go in there, are the floors and stairwells still structurally sound enough to support my weight?"  "If I go in there, am I going to kick up the dust of 200+ years of dessicated rat droppings and get some sort of horrible lung infection?"

Was there an "incurable romantic" in that MBTI matrix?
Title: Re: Haunting Photos
Post by: Dolan50 on October 24, 2013, 08:49:18 PM
I used to play in some old abandoned buildings like those in Detroit when I was a boy.
My biggest fear was the heroin junkies that used to hang out and shoot up in there.
I had one throw a knife at me once that just missed my head.

And another time I even had one chase me from a house that  almost caused me to snag my nuts on the wrought iron fence surrounding the property,luckily all I did was rip the ass out of my pants.
Title: Re: Haunting Photos
Post by: LongBlade on October 25, 2013, 06:14:52 AM
Quote from: Dolan50 on October 24, 2013, 08:49:18 PM
I used to play in some old abandoned buildings like those in Detroit when I was a boy.
My biggest fear was the heroin junkies that used to hang out and shoot up in there.
I had one throw a knife at me once that just missed my head.

And another time I even had one chase me from a house that  almost caused me to snag my nuts on the wrought iron fence surrounding the property,luckily all I did was rip the ass out of my pants.

Ah, the good old days...
Title: Re: Haunting Photos
Post by: Dolan50 on October 25, 2013, 08:13:36 AM
LOL,
I was warned to stay away from that side of town by my parents,but boys will be boys.
Title: Re: Haunting Photos
Post by: mirth on October 25, 2013, 09:18:41 AM
Photos from Sandy. Also quite haunting:

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/photos/rising-waters-photographs-from-hurricane-sandy-unvieled-at-museum-of-the-city-of-new-york-1382475013-slideshow/rising-waters-photographs-from-hurricane-sandy-unvieled-at-museum-of-the-city-of-new-york-photo-1382474857654.html
Title: Re: Haunting Photos
Post by: airboy on October 25, 2013, 10:39:25 AM
It is amazing how many of these photos look like scenes from Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas.
Title: Re: Haunting Photos
Post by: LongBlade on October 25, 2013, 10:43:41 AM
Quote from: airboy on October 25, 2013, 10:39:25 AM
It is amazing how many of these photos look like scenes from Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas.

You're right.