GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: undercovergeek on October 25, 2013, 10:26:34 AM

Title: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on October 25, 2013, 10:26:34 AM
Followed it for ages, it been the first on my list of 'games to spend my money on this year' courtesy of Huw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls8FBFFjMxk
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Rayfer on October 25, 2013, 11:17:29 AM
Interesting video....looks like sim-city goes frontier west? Where does the title 'Banished' come in?  Is there more to it than the video shows?
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Steelgrave on October 25, 2013, 11:29:00 AM
It does look interesting. You can't buy it yet, but the game is showing up on Steam already.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: bob48 on October 25, 2013, 01:48:17 PM
Looks quite nice - I could be tempted.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Con on October 25, 2013, 02:05:46 PM
Way to gentle...where are the pillaging Vikings!!

Con
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 25, 2013, 02:47:37 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on October 25, 2013, 11:17:29 AM
Interesting video....looks like sim-city goes frontier west? Where does the title 'Banished' come in?  Is there more to it than the video shows?

Apparently, you start your town with people who were exiled from their homeland.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on October 25, 2013, 03:17:08 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on October 25, 2013, 11:17:29 AM
Interesting video....looks like sim-city goes frontier west? Where does the title 'Banished' come in?  Is there more to it than the video shows?

what jarhead said
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Steelgrave on October 25, 2013, 05:37:05 PM
Soooo.....Aussies then?  8)
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: son_of_montfort on October 25, 2013, 10:10:20 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 25, 2013, 02:47:37 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on October 25, 2013, 11:17:29 AM
Interesting video....looks like sim-city goes frontier west? Where does the title 'Banished' come in?  Is there more to it than the video shows?

Apparently, you start your town with people who were exiled from their homeland.

They also seem to be a mix of medieval and early colonial style technology. So a Pilgrim's sim?  ;)

I'm looking forward to it. I love city-building, dwarf fortress-like games, and medieval technology.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: JasonPratt on October 26, 2013, 06:56:47 PM
Very sweet, wishlisted on Steam.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on January 10, 2014, 02:35:18 PM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/10/out-of-exile-banished-releasing-in-february/#more-183765

available on February 18
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Gusington on January 10, 2014, 07:05:05 PM
I am patiently, calmly, lurking in the background...
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Steelgrave on January 10, 2014, 07:50:35 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 10, 2014, 07:05:05 PM
I am patiently, calmly, lurking in the background...

Didn't your last run in with the police teach you anything???
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on January 10, 2014, 08:10:05 PM
hes like a stealth-ninja
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Gusington on January 10, 2014, 09:02:18 PM
But much more...Jewish.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on January 10, 2014, 09:29:08 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 10, 2014, 09:02:18 PM
But much more...Jewish.

stealth-ninja-stein?
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on February 07, 2014, 06:04:22 PM
half an hour of awesomeness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gAXcREfjbQ
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Rayfer on February 07, 2014, 06:34:15 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 07, 2014, 06:04:22 PM
half an hour of awesomeness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gAXcREfjbQ

Yes, I like the look of this game....great video, well done.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Nefaro on February 07, 2014, 06:44:22 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 10, 2014, 07:05:05 PM
I am patiently, calmly, lurking in the background...


(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi2.wp.com%2F25.media.tumblr.com%2Ftumblr_m11z8r3AYH1r3gup8o1_500.gif&hash=98518ee41338030c26c7bcf39b2c4ebecc872fd6)
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: steve58 on February 08, 2014, 05:34:05 PM
For $20, I'm definitively interested...
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: JasonPratt on February 11, 2014, 08:51:10 AM


Video posted more directly. :)

His first attempt continues for four parts thusly:








Part 5 starts his second attempt at a playthrough -- this time on Hard because Hard is easier than Medium for some obscure reason... ;)





An intraquel episode

















And so his epic ends for now.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on February 11, 2014, 09:04:27 AM
day 1 buy i think, feb was going to smash my no spend policy with this and HoS - unsure about HoS
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Gusington on February 11, 2014, 09:05:34 AM
Is this still on track for full release on 2/18?
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on February 11, 2014, 09:06:56 AM
mr steam says so
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: bob48 on February 11, 2014, 09:16:50 AM
Its on my wish list.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Greybriar on February 11, 2014, 02:02:11 PM
At $19.99 it will probably be a Day 1 purchase for me as well. I like to support game makers who release games that are DRM-Free. Banished has that option (http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/).
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: steve58 on February 17, 2014, 06:21:06 PM
...20 hours and counting (http://store.steampowered.com/app/242920/)  :)
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on February 17, 2014, 06:27:32 PM
Card ready, Wednesday off and a while day of Stalingrad and banished
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Grim.Reaper on February 17, 2014, 06:34:34 PM
I was looking at developer site and amazed to see download is only 105mb....will be watching this one.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 17, 2014, 07:20:18 PM
but, NO COMBAT? Really? None at all? Won't it get boring?
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Greybriar on February 18, 2014, 01:11:47 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 17, 2014, 07:20:18 PM
but, NO COMBAT? Really? None at all? Won't it get boring?

If I understand correctly, you start off with ten people, a storehouse, and a few supplies--including seeds for planting (on medium difficulty). For starters, you will have to construct shelters, plant vegetables to eat, and clear the area your future village will be in. I believe it would be sufficiently difficult to survive under those conditions without combat thrown in as well. Of course, if that's too easy you can play at the Hard difficulty and begin without any seeds to plant your garden with. It may still get boring, depending on your idea of fun.

Here's a video that should throw a little light on the game:

Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on February 18, 2014, 04:10:44 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 17, 2014, 07:20:18 PM
but, NO COMBAT? Really? None at all? Won't it get boring?

A million SIM city fans cry out in pain
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 18, 2014, 07:26:16 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 18, 2014, 04:10:44 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 17, 2014, 07:20:18 PM
but, NO COMBAT? Really? None at all? Won't it get boring?

A million SIM city fans cry out in pain

Even in Sim City, there is more to do than plant crops and mine. It just seems to me that Banished will get old pretty quick. Farming chickens and growing pumpkins, to what end?
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Greybriar on February 18, 2014, 08:11:39 AM
Banished is for sale now from the developer (http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/buy/), GOG.com (http://www.gog.com/game/banished), and Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/242920/).

According to GOG.com: "....Banished is a free-form village sim firmly placed in a medieval setting with every possible calamity that comes with it. You will lead a small group of refugees, exiled from their home kingdom only with the clothes on their back and a small cart of supplies. Now, they need to rip a piece of land from the wilderness and make it their home, where they will live, love, have children, and finally die (let their death be peaceful!). You'll need to keep the population happy and healthy by providing them with food and warm shelter. Watch the town grow as you assign 20 different jobs to build buildings, grow food, craft tools and clothing, and more!

Heed our warning: this is not a city-builder you may be expecting. This is a game of survival where death and despair comes uninvited into the tranquility of your settlement just when you least expect it.
..."
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on February 18, 2014, 08:32:18 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 18, 2014, 07:26:16 AM
Even in Sim City, there is more to do than plant crops and mine. It just seems to me that Banished will get old pretty quick. Farming chickens and growing pumpkins, to what end?

I've been keeping my eye on Banished, but when I think about it, it sounds a lot like Settlers 7. There was combat in Settlers 7, and even that got boring very quickly.

I'm going to keep it on my wishlist and wait for the sale in a few months.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on February 18, 2014, 09:17:47 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 18, 2014, 07:26:16 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 18, 2014, 04:10:44 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 17, 2014, 07:20:18 PM
but, NO COMBAT? Really? None at all? Won't it get boring?

A million SIM city fans cry out in pain

Even in Sim City, there is more to do than plant crops and mine. It just seems to me that Banished will get old pretty quick. Farming chickens and growing pumpkins, to what end?

i think its more of a group survival sim - created a new genre there i have - along the lines of dont starve but with more people
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Anguille on February 18, 2014, 09:58:06 AM
I was looking at this game for a while. As a GOG release, i'll buy this without hesitation.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on February 18, 2014, 10:01:59 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 18, 2014, 09:17:47 AM

i think its more of a group survival sim - created a new genre there i have - along the lines of dont starve but with more people

Are we making up genre's now?  8)

But seriously, I hope this isn't one step removed from Farmville?

I hope there is some kind of challenge, or something that offers replayability.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: tgb on February 18, 2014, 10:15:17 AM
Quote from: Anguille on February 18, 2014, 09:58:06 AM
I was looking at this game for a while. As a GOG release, i'll buy this without hesitation.

I bought it directly from the developer.  Not only did he get all the money, I got a link to a DRM-free version to download AND a Steam key.

QuoteI hope there is some kind of challenge, or something that offers replayability.

From what I understand, the challenge is in surviving the elements and natural disasters.  As to replayability, I have some concerns about that as well, but it is supposedly easily moddable, so for $20 I was willing to take a shot.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Anguille on February 18, 2014, 11:15:16 AM
Quote from: tgb on February 18, 2014, 10:15:17 AM
Quote from: Anguille on February 18, 2014, 09:58:06 AM
I was looking at this game for a while. As a GOG release, i'll buy this without hesitation.

I bought it directly from the developer.  Not only did he get all the money, I got a link to a DRM-free version to download AND a Steam key.
That's a good argument...i may end to buy it twice then.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on February 18, 2014, 11:32:15 AM
so you get 2 copies??  ???
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: tgb on February 18, 2014, 11:55:54 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 18, 2014, 11:32:15 AM
so you get 2 copies??  ???

I guess - not sure how that would work.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Gusington on February 18, 2014, 12:08:03 PM
Post impressions once you have them! I've been looking forward to this and haven't bought anything yet this year!
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 18, 2014, 05:26:43 PM
Still no impressions? Its either that good, or that bad...hmmmm...
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Rayfer on February 18, 2014, 05:30:27 PM
A review from Rock/Paper/Shotgun.  The reviewed didn't like the game.  http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/18/banished-review/#more-190327
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 18, 2014, 05:53:36 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 18, 2014, 05:30:27 PM
A review from Rock/Paper/Shotgun.  The reviewed didn't like the game.  http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/18/banished-review/#more-190327

Ouch. No wonder there is no combat in the game. Nobody lives long enough to go to battle.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on February 18, 2014, 05:58:21 PM
Just read that.... but then there is a shit storm in the comments about how wrong he is
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: steve58 on February 18, 2014, 06:00:34 PM
I was ready to pull the trigger on this one, but realized that I was already playing pretty much the same game, but in space (Spacebase DF-9 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/246090/)).  Even though its not finished/as polished as Banished, I'm still enjoying Spacebase...and it has combat (kinda).
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Gusington on February 18, 2014, 06:23:50 PM
The RPS reviewer wrote that he admired the game but didn't like it. But I am not sure if I will like it or hate it...
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on February 18, 2014, 06:48:52 PM
The complaints he seems to have made have been strongly rebuffed by others who have given more time to the game..... two things seem to be clear though - it's not light entertainment nor is it to be dealt with casually it would seem
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Greybriar on February 18, 2014, 07:19:08 PM
In a way Banished reminds me of Robinson's Requiem (http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/robinsons-requiem)--I always lost to death in it, too.  ;)
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: tgb on February 18, 2014, 09:14:33 PM
So far I just played the tutorial and farted around with one settlement.  Technically the game is rock-solid (for me, anyway) and looks great.  It's definitely all about surviving for as long as you can.  In my first game, my entire settlement (5 families) was wiped out when a late  frost meant snowfall in early Spring, before I had an opportunity to get any shelters built or firewood chopped

This may be the first rogue-like city builder.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on February 18, 2014, 09:29:26 PM
I pulled the trigger, and for a mere $20.

The graphics are bland, and the engine is even a little choppy on my gaming rig.

I survived 15 years(still going), and managed to still have 12 survivors. At one point I was up to 22 but a bad winter and my lack of understanding in some game mechanics got in the way. I had several people die of starvation, and a few seemed to have died without any mention (old age?)

Overall it is an interesting game. Once you can grasp the mechanics, then organize your systems to run smoothly, you'll be fine. You can slowly add perks like a city hall, doctor, etc.

I have noticed a few weird things; Workers randomly go idle, and for entirely too long! Is not like civilization or settlers where you order a worker and he completes the task. Workers wander off, grab something to eat, and have a weird pattern of work. When you click on them you see their status... it's really frustrating.

I'm also not sure how to build my population. I lost a bunch of folks and haven't had any backfill. This is a huge problem because part of the challenge in the game is managing your workforce. This is even further complicated by the fact that each commodity requires a minimum of one worker to operate. Since my population is so small I'm forced to double-task people and turn off commodities when I have a good stock. For example, my blacksmith and woodcutter is the same person. Each winter I build up my firewood stockpile, then switch him over to the tool shop in the summer so he can replenish tools from the summer harvest. It's annoying, and I need more people!

It's also funny seeing your cemetery slowly start to fill up
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Gusington on February 18, 2014, 09:34:23 PM
Thanks...I am more than mildly intrigued. There doesn't appear to be a campaign though...how does the player win?
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on February 18, 2014, 09:44:26 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 18, 2014, 09:34:23 PM
Thanks...I am more than mildly intrigued. There doesn't appear to be a campaign though...how does the player win?

By not losing.

Seriously, there are no win conditions.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Gusington on February 18, 2014, 09:50:11 PM
So do you not lose indefinitely and then...win?
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: tgb on February 18, 2014, 10:28:13 PM
It's pure sandbox - as long as your village is viable the game continues.  There are achievements (both in-game and Steam), so you can use those as goals to be set.

I THINK population grows as children age and start to mate.  Also I read that there is a random event that allows you to take in groups of settlers, but there is a prerequisite,andI can't remember what it is right now.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Bletchley_Geek on February 18, 2014, 10:32:38 PM
Quote from: steve58 on February 18, 2014, 06:00:34 PM
I was ready to pull the trigger on this one, but realized that I was already playing pretty much the same game, but in space (Spacebase DF-9 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/246090/)).  Even though its not finished/as polished as Banished, I'm still enjoying Spacebase...and it has combat (kinda).

I think that Banished will be looking very nice alongside Spacebase DF-9 in my Steam library  :)
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on February 19, 2014, 06:46:38 AM
Downloaded for play tonight, oddly enough it was the feedback in the rps review that pushed me over the edge - a couple of guys have torn into the reviewer over the state of his village, how he set it up and then complaining the game was too hard - apparentley he has forragers in the middle of the village and the hunter/gatherer ratio wrong - I could get into a game that models those dynamics needing to be established correctly instead of a sim city 'well ill just build that there' attitude
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on February 19, 2014, 10:14:40 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 19, 2014, 06:46:38 AM
Downloaded for play tonight, oddly enough it was the feedback in the rps review that pushed me over the edge - a couple of guys have torn into the reviewer over the state of his village, how he set it up and then complaining the game was too hard - apparentley he has forragers in the middle of the village and the hunter/gatherer ratio wrong - I could get into a game that models those dynamics needing to be established correctly instead of a sim city 'well ill just build that there' attitude

The problem is that the game never explains anything, and I think the tutorials are to blame.

Part of the tutorial should explain how to establish efficient systems, and ratios so that your population doesn't starve to death in the first 5 years. As of now, the tutorials only explain things that a player can pick up and understand immediately anyway.

For example, I have no idea which commodity is the best for producing food. Farms? Orchards? Livestock? Which livestock? Chickens? Cows? Etc...

I am in the same boat as the RPS reviewer. I have a HUGE percent of my population farming, and I'm still starving to death when I get over 20 citizens.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Darkspire on February 19, 2014, 12:48:46 PM
The tutorials are a little sparse I must admit but I started on hard and followed what the tutorial did more or less and have a little community of 46 and growing. I think it depends on what you lay down first, it reminds me of Anno 1503 in that respect. If I do not get the fishing hut down first the stock never meets the demand, for me it was clear a few resources (adding to collect when the stockpile looked like it was getting low), fishing hut, wood cutter, forester, barn and 4 houses. I tried those same things in different orders to confirm and every other permutation results in tombstones. Once I had the order I carefully added the others, hunting lodge and blacksmith (Iron is a bit sparse so I just took small areas till the minions increased enough to clear larger areas), then started up trading to get some seeds and livestock, it is starting to become quite involved once you get the trading going.
Really like it to be honest, zoom needs increasing and the map is near useless (needs a resource key and other filters) are my only gripes really, like Anno, once you have the correct order of things it starts falling into place.

Darkspire
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Bletchley_Geek on February 19, 2014, 06:15:23 PM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on February 19, 2014, 10:14:40 AM
The problem is that the game never explains anything, and I think the tutorials are to blame.

Part of the tutorial should explain how to establish efficient systems, and ratios so that your population doesn't starve to death in the first 5 years. As of now, the tutorials only explain things that a player can pick up and understand immediately anyway.

For example, I have no idea which commodity is the best for producing food. Farms? Orchards? Livestock? Which livestock? Chickens? Cows? Etc...

I am in the same boat as the RPS reviewer. I have a HUGE percent of my population farming, and I'm still starving to death when I get over 20 citizens.

Well, I reckon it explains enough to play the game. There's an in-game kind of wiki that explains things in more depth.

As with any sandbox-survival-city building game worth its salt, 99% of the game is supposed to be figured out by playing, and it gets addictive because those games are extremely punishing and unforgiving. Approaching this as if it was Sim City is a mistake.

In Banished, in particular, I'm seeing that one needs to apply 'common sense' most of the time. For instance, having people to live relatively apart from each other may be economically inefficient, but then you don't want that initially isolated measles to spread out like wildfire and decimate your people. Dwarf Fortress is much harder, because you know, who the frack knows what 'common sense' means.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: -budd- on February 19, 2014, 10:11:30 PM
Looks interesting, i've watched some of pewpewchewchew lets play on youtube .For future consideration for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTP2hlFqdfG8_0T2fCkbLrg
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Yskonyn on February 20, 2014, 05:27:17 AM
Who the hell comes up with a username like 'pewpewchewchew' anyway? Does he expect to be taken seriously too? ;)
Just kidding, his vids are pretty good actually !
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: skeptical.platypus on February 22, 2014, 09:55:50 PM
I think I know why at least one of my families got Banished:

Wife: 19
Husband: 15
Child1: 11
Child2: 5
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Nefaro on February 22, 2014, 10:11:36 PM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on February 22, 2014, 09:55:50 PM
I think I know why at least one of my families got Banished:

Wife: 19
Husband: 15
Child1: 11
Child2: 5


So your polygamists moved to Utah?
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: skeptical.platypus on February 22, 2014, 10:27:14 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 22, 2014, 10:11:36 PM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on February 22, 2014, 09:55:50 PM
I think I know why at least one of my families got Banished:

Wife: 19
Husband: 15
Child1: 11
Child2: 5


So your polygamists moved to Utah?

The seed of my people is as strong as our song is sweet.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on February 24, 2014, 05:38:44 AM
First attempt was disastrous - 4 houses, one storage yard but in an attempt to build the storage yard accidentally built a barn too, the time it took the barn to get up took away precious time to get the fishing up and going - lost too many adults

Second attempt commenced at 21:30 yesterday and finished at 02:15 am this morning - couldnt walk away - much better set up but tipped over the scales of equilibrium and ruined the food system, i built a herbalist without realising my populace would abandon their posts and head for her medical attentions, the fishing dock was abandoned and the food never caught up again, with 6 houses it was going so well, the seventh house pushed me into people dying - lost too many adults again, i could either find food or cut trees but not both - without one or the other it was doom for the beautiful people of Middlelock, no rage at 2:15 this morning just sagely head nodding and knowing what i need to do next
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Barthheart on February 24, 2014, 06:35:57 AM
Don't build the herbalist until you build the barn. Herbs can be stored and picked up in the barn.

Don't build lots of stuff until you have the population. First year I just build barn, houses, wood cutter, gatherers hut and hunting hut. Al that needs to be done before winter.
You will get enough food to survive the first winter. Don't fully staff each place until all are built.

Yeah... I picked it up early Saturday morning when my dog got me up at 5:30am..... :P
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on February 24, 2014, 06:54:13 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 24, 2014, 06:35:57 AM
Don't build the herbalist until you build the barn. Herbs can be stored and picked up in the barn.

Don't build lots of stuff until you have the population. First year I just build barn, houses, wood cutter, gatherers hut and hunting hut. Al that needs to be done before winter.
You will get enough food to survive the first winter. Don't fully staff each place until all are built.

Yeah... I picked it up early Saturday morning when my dog got me up at 5:30am..... :P

thats what i thought about the herbalist, but if theyre ill they will pick a herb from the barn and then head to the herbalist in the forest!
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Barthheart on February 24, 2014, 07:49:42 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 24, 2014, 06:54:13 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 24, 2014, 06:35:57 AM
Don't build the herbalist until you build the barn. Herbs can be stored and picked up in the barn.

Don't build lots of stuff until you have the population. First year I just build barn, houses, wood cutter, gatherers hut and hunting hut. Al that needs to be done before winter.
You will get enough food to survive the first winter. Don't fully staff each place until all are built.

Yeah... I picked it up early Saturday morning when my dog got me up at 5:30am..... :P

thats what i thought about the herbalist, but if theyre ill they will pick a herb from the barn and then head to the herbalist in the forest!

Hmmmm.... I haven't seen that happen..... maybe my folks are just healthier than yours....  :P I'll have to watch fer that....
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on February 24, 2014, 10:51:28 AM
yeah, 3 years of fish and potatos make em a bit grumpy!!!
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: skeptical.platypus on February 24, 2014, 03:09:25 PM
Comfortdoch made it to year 8 before I made the classic banished mistake of upgrading my wood huts to stone and ordering a resource clearing immediately after. As we Banished few have come to learn, even the most experienced builder will do f*k all but chop trees and rocks once the resource clearing order is issued. What I didn't know was that A) apparently upgrading is a two step process. Step One, tear down the old house. Step Two, building the new one -- and clearing orders will be completed between steps one and two, and B) not everyone will move back into an upgraded house.

So my population was cut nearly in half when the upgrading project started in early spring was delayed by three seasons while the builders collected some iron, and didn't get back to completing the rebuild until winter, and even then, I needed two more house. Who's occupants froze to death while waiting for the upstairs loft.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 24, 2014, 04:21:54 PM
But still no combat? None at all? What about brigands? What about raiders? Even protection from wild animals?
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: skeptical.platypus on February 24, 2014, 04:33:56 PM
Still no combat. And it's even worse than that. 

Not only is there no protection from wild animals, your hunters can get killed by hunting them.

There are no brigands. There are nomads who will show up at your port (trading dock) and ask to join. They are like wild animals in that strangers' diseases can kill you, but you have no defense (particularly if your herbalist is out wandering).



Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: Darkspire on February 24, 2014, 04:49:07 PM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on February 24, 2014, 04:33:56 PM
There are no brigands. There are nomads who will show up at your port (trading dock) and ask to join. They are like wild animals in that strangers' diseases can kill you, but you have no defense (particularly if your herbalist is out wandering).

Not to sure a Herbalist will help with disease, well mine didn't, I had to build a Hospital to cure the mangy folks.
I was very lucky the first time in that I had an outbreak of typhoid, at least 8 folks, and it cleared up on its own, I had no Herbalist or Hospital, they just died and took the Typhoid with them. Second time it was worse, much worse and the herbs did not go down in number, I built the Hospital and it cleared up fairly quickly.

Darkspire
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: skeptical.platypus on February 24, 2014, 05:25:22 PM
Quote from: Darkspire on February 24, 2014, 04:49:07 PM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on February 24, 2014, 04:33:56 PM
There are no brigands. There are nomads who will show up at your port (trading dock) and ask to join. They are like wild animals in that strangers' diseases can kill you, but you have no defense (particularly if your herbalist is out wandering).

Not to sure a Herbalist will help with disease, well mine didn't, I had to build a Hospital to cure the mangy folks.
I was very lucky the first time in that I had an outbreak of typhoid, at least 8 folks, and it cleared up on its own, I had no Herbalist or Hospital, they just died and took the Typhoid with them. Second time it was worse, much worse and the herbs did not go down in number, I built the Hospital and it cleared up fairly quickly.

Darkspire

I don't know that herbalists do anything, from my short experience so far. They've gathered herbs, which remain unconsumed in storage. I've managed to freeze or starve my banished ones well before any kind of disease shows up.
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on February 24, 2014, 05:55:49 PM
The herbalist increases their average health.... my heart meter went down to 2 and a half due to a piss poor diet but once the herbalist was installed it slowly went back up to 4.... once at 4 the herbalist never had another customer
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: skeptical.platypus on February 26, 2014, 02:14:37 PM
Thanks for the clarification re: herbalists.

Does anybody know of any way to influence how many trading partners come to see you? Don't I need a variety of different traders to get different wares. I've only got one repeating visitor so far, and can only order products such as beef (but not cows), mutton (but not sheep). My singular dream in Banished life is to herd, often and well. How do I get my chicken herd?!?
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on February 26, 2014, 02:45:26 PM
That must be random as I got chickens and sheep from mine but I wanted apples - they're expensive chickens mind
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: skeptical.platypus on February 26, 2014, 05:15:43 PM
Yes, I think it may be random. I've been offered seeds, chickens, and cows now. Expensive, indeed. Firewood ftw!
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on February 26, 2014, 05:23:39 PM
yeah i see the firewood 'exploit' - started watching quills vids - he has a good grasp - guys got 3000 food rolling in right at the start of the game - need to get back into it
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: skeptical.platypus on February 27, 2014, 10:32:04 PM
Yes, between learning of the long reach of the gatherer's hut and that a stick of wood trades for 1/2 the price of an iron tool, there's not much mystery in the game any longer about how to survive.

My chicken herd grew from 8 to 20 in about six months. I got three cows mooing -- no calves yet, but it's only been a season. So I'm well on my way to Herd King of Comfortdoch.

I'm at 40/4/11, and trying to decide if I'm fully committing to wheat for ale, and if so, how many fields do I need. Also, I cannot tell a lie. I'm thinking of a cherry orchard. And a quarry. And a town hall. . .
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: undercovergeek on February 28, 2014, 02:30:05 AM
It gets you like that
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: PanzersEast on April 27, 2014, 09:27:47 AM
I've played this some and while it is a pretty decent game... it tends to get boring for me at least.  I feel like a spectator just watching with minimal input and Tropico feels like a better experience.... not a bad game, just not very interesting either.

PE
Title: Re: Banished - nearly finished
Post by: DennisS on April 27, 2014, 08:40:01 PM
I enjoyed playing Banished, until I figured out the game mechanics.

Initially, it appears to be brutally difficult, and challenging. This was primarily due to players not really understanding the relationship between the markets, and the food distribution system.

Once you suss out the mechanics for this, I think the game becomes rather easy. You can build one self-sustaining community, and drive another road tendril into another fertile area, and rinse/repeat. I have no issue at all with generating communities of several hundred, and never losing ANYONE to starvation.