GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on October 29, 2013, 06:36:12 PM

Title: Steam Marines...
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 29, 2013, 06:36:12 PM
Anyone playing?  Its on Steam early access...
Title: Re: Steam Marines...
Post by: Nefaro on October 29, 2013, 09:11:45 PM
I got it on Desura awhile back.

It's a bit reminsicent of Space Hulk, albeit with randomly generated levels.  The last time I played, about a month ago, much of it's difficulty came from many of the enemy robots being immune to fire from their front.  I'm not sure I like this mechanic.  It forces you to flank them in order to kill them, but in a ship's cramped corridors, on a square tile-based map, it feels more like you're constantly trying to lure them further around corners and other such fiddly annoyances, instead of shooting & looting your way through to survival & victory.  You can also blow holes through walls to flank them but it can be time consuming, and I often found myself staring at the front of one when I got too close anyway.

Other than the odd frontal immunity thing, it's not bad.  Kinda Rogue-ish.  I think that if they eliminated the straight-up immunity thing and just made the enemies tougher, they'd be doing themselves a favor.
Title: Re: Steam Marines...
Post by: PanzersEast on October 30, 2013, 09:42:20 AM
I've had it on my radar and have been waiting to see how it develops.


PE
Title: Re: Steam Marines...
Post by: Nefaro on October 30, 2013, 09:55:40 PM
Yeah, I'm withholding any final decision on it.  I'm not even sure all the features are in or whether the mechanics are set in stone right now. 

It has good potential.
Title: Re: Steam Marines...
Post by: PanzersEast on December 02, 2013, 04:04:48 PM
Just picked it up on STEAM for $3.99...... has come a ways since last looked at it and thought I would jump aboard now.


PE
Title: Re: Steam Marines...
Post by: spelk on December 02, 2013, 05:47:26 PM
Might be worth looking at Bionic Dues too. Dunno if that's in the Steam sale yet though.
Title: Re: Steam Marines...
Post by: Nefaro on December 03, 2013, 04:25:55 AM
Quote from: spelk on December 02, 2013, 05:47:26 PM
Might be worth looking at Bionic Dues too. Dunno if that's in the Steam sale yet though.

Pretty sure it was.  Both there and at Gamersgate IIRC.

I got a few missions in and haven't continued lately since my digital gaming hiatus.  It will definitely be high on my strategy list when I get back to gaming on the PC.  I like it more than Steam Marines (which is a similar style of gameplay).
Title: Re: Steam Marines...
Post by: PanzersEast on December 03, 2013, 09:43:37 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 03, 2013, 04:25:55 AM
Quote from: spelk on December 02, 2013, 05:47:26 PM
Might be worth looking at Bionic Dues too. Dunno if that's in the Steam sale yet though.

Pretty sure it was.  Both there and at Gamersgate IIRC.

I got a few missions in and haven't continued lately since my digital gaming hiatus.  It will definitely be high on my strategy list when I get back to gaming on the PC.  I like it more than Steam Marines (which is a similar style of gameplay).

I have both and they play differently..... I like both of them, Steam Marines is more squad based and Space Hulk feel, where as Bio Dues has a Trine feel to it but a lot more customization etc.... I recommend both.

PE