GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: xwormwood on November 10, 2013, 02:15:55 PM

Title: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: xwormwood on November 10, 2013, 02:15:55 PM
Cinemaware polished their Wings Remake and brought it back to Kickstarter, this time with a Demo (5 Levels) and a much improved presentation.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcinemawarewings.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F11%2Fbanner_campanha_FBsize.jpg&hash=a4a6114233cca081f5d4a10b7fda2c107c1cf9f7)

Link to the Kickstarter Campaign: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/850516062/wings-remastered-edition (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/850516062/wings-remastered-edition)

Link to the official Game Webside http://cinemawarewings.com/ (http://cinemawarewings.com/)

Link to the classical Amiga (1990) gameplay video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL-qtxNgoHU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL-qtxNgoHU)

Take a look and join the 56th Squadron, Gentlemen.

And don't forget to tell your familly, friends and colleagues too, because if we can reach the $250.000 Stretchgoal, than we will even see a German campaign as well.

Here the video from the Campaign page:

Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Staggerwing on November 10, 2013, 02:47:35 PM
Oooh... Gus is going to sqee when he sees this...
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Gusington on November 10, 2013, 06:14:48 PM
SQEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

One of my favorite games ever!!!
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Staggerwing on November 10, 2013, 06:16:15 PM
Are you trying the demo as we squee... er- speak?
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: bob48 on November 10, 2013, 06:21:20 PM
Oh heck - the hours I musta played that on the Amega.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Gusington on November 10, 2013, 06:26:44 PM
^Me too Bawb...1000s of hours, literally.

Haven't had time for the demo yet but soon...damned soon.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: bob48 on November 10, 2013, 06:34:56 PM
Damn, but it was fun. Although you soon learned not to use your real name for pilots as it was not pleasant when they got KIA'ed (which was often) to see your name on the bloody tombstone...........

I remember that you had to qualify pilots before you could fly in the campaign, so the trick was to sit and create a load of 'em so you did not have to fart about and create a new one all the time.

All mine were based around the name 'Ginger', but you could not use the same 'active' name twice. Thus I had names such as 'Gingers Brother', 'Auntie Ginger', 'Not Ginger' and stuff like.

Well, you guys already know that I have a warped sense of humour.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Gusington on November 10, 2013, 07:17:18 PM
Ginger? Why? Maybe I don't want to know.

I finished the campaign once, I was so excited when I did.

Also loved the strafing missions, bombing, etc. Wings was just one of those games the delighted me in every way.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: bob48 on November 11, 2013, 01:58:48 PM
^Well, Gus.

Back in ye olde days, there used to be a comic book hot-shot hero type pilot bloke named Matt Braddock, and his sidekick was called Ginger. Nothing more complicated than that. ;)
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Gusington on November 11, 2013, 02:18:50 PM
That rings vaguely familar...
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: em2nought on November 11, 2013, 07:42:47 PM
...having trouble with the demo download.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 12, 2013, 01:25:23 PM
Quote from: bob48 on November 11, 2013, 01:58:48 PM
^Well, Gus.

Back in ye olde days, there used to be a comic book hot-shot hero type pilot bloke named Matt Braddock, and his sidekick was called Ginger. Nothing more complicated than that. ;)

I always figured you as more of a Biggles type.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: bob48 on November 12, 2013, 02:17:18 PM
lol - you have to do a few missions as Ginger before you can qualify as a Biggles!
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: em2nought on November 12, 2013, 10:16:40 PM
...had trouble downloading with firefox for some reason, chrome worked fine.  I hate flying with keys. lol Demo flight seems much prettier than video I've watched of the original.  More feeling of altitude.  Guns jam, my plane smokes and burns, flak sounds get a bit monotonous when I'm lousy with keys, but the flak graphic effects are nice.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Gusington on November 13, 2013, 08:17:43 AM
I gotta grab he demo! I have also had similar download and other issues with Firefox.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: xwormwood on November 14, 2013, 01:17:24 PM
This is me, doing the good work, bumping up this thread once more:
(https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/327/304/016e59bf4d9154b0cceda747aaddd809_large.jpg?1384446535)

Over there, send them money to win the war, err, the nescessary amount of money to make these WW1 planes fly once more.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Gusington on November 15, 2013, 09:09:51 AM
Project is about one third funded with 25 days to go. Also set to appear on Steam Greenlight today!
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: xwormwood on November 15, 2013, 12:33:10 PM
Well, let us hope that they gonna make it.

The first (very rough) impressions of the damage model looks promising:
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcinemawarewings.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F11%2Fdamge-foker.png&hash=a83535eeaac56029aeec76cb99245e476e78ccfe)
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Gusington on November 15, 2013, 02:23:18 PM
I need to download the demo tonight.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: xwormwood on November 16, 2013, 12:50:08 PM
Did you downloaded the Demo?
What is your opinion?

Meanwhile the game entered the Steam Greenlight contest, here is the link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=195173821 (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=195173821)

(https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/237/796/f6c056a03aa0bac29806e83853547a85_large.jpg?1382709319)
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Gusington on November 16, 2013, 02:37:32 PM
Not yet, was delayed...later tonight. Will definitely vote on Greenlight too. Gonna go over to Kickstarter now to check progress. Seemed like some people were feeling down over there yesterday when I pledged.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Gusington on November 18, 2013, 07:59:44 PM
I like the demo, it's great to jump back into Wings after almost 25 years :)

The campaign is almost at 50% with 3 weeks to go. Today there was one 2500.00 and one 5000.00 pledge!
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Gusington on November 20, 2013, 10:07:28 AM
A lot of big pledges yesterday...Wings is now at 71% of goal at 60,000 dollars and 20 days to go, looking good!
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: xwormwood on November 20, 2013, 05:03:54 PM
Yes, amazing those high pledges!
:)

And now they even released a Demo for Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Hippo.Wings (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Hippo.Wings)

(https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/354/575/e3750b3dc0cb293ed2970ca526f82c0c_large.jpg?1384953156)

Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: xwormwood on November 23, 2013, 04:07:13 PM
Lloyd Sabin did an official Grogheads write up about this project:
http://grogheads.com/?p=3167#more-3167
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 23, 2013, 04:21:21 PM
Cinemaware! Sweet!
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Gusington on November 23, 2013, 05:41:48 PM
^Get in there man!
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 24, 2013, 09:50:57 AM
I never played this one but I saw the 'rocket ranger' one (or whatever it was called) on a friend's Amiga back in 1989 or so. I just downloaded the demo and played through it and it's fun, but not very immersive - I wonder if that's just because this is a demo and not the full-fledged product?

Now if I can find the game Red Baron that will work on Vista, I'll be happy...
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Gusington on November 24, 2013, 11:36:08 AM
There was a Red Baron Kickstarter that failed miserably and Wings! has taken up some of its disappointed fans.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 24, 2013, 01:05:45 PM
Never donated on Kickstarter, but I think I will for this.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Staggerwing on November 24, 2013, 01:21:53 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 24, 2013, 09:50:57 AM
I never played this one but I saw the 'rocket ranger' one (or whatever it was called) on a friend's Amiga back in 1989 or so. I just downloaded the demo and played through it and it's fun, but not very immersive - I wonder if that's just because this is a demo and not the full-fledged product?

Now if I can find the game Red Baron that will work on Vista, I'll be happy...

Some info on running Red Baron 3D here: http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/games-flight-sims/31416-red-baron-3d-xp-vista.html

If you are trying to run the original dos RB then Dosbox should work.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 24, 2013, 01:26:05 PM
Thanks, Stagger - might give it another try. Dosbox never worked well for me and was a pain to get started when it did work. Still I miss that game...i once had a German pilot with over 150 kills and I shot down Goering to ensure the future of the Fatherland.   ;D
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Gusington on November 24, 2013, 09:16:49 PM
Yes!!
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Gusington on December 03, 2013, 06:24:01 PM
Wings has reached and surpassed its goal with six days to go:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/850516062/wings-remastered-edition

Project is greenlighted!! *passes out in glee*
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Nefaro on December 03, 2013, 07:39:07 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 24, 2013, 09:50:57 AM

Now if I can find the game Red Baron that will work on Vista, I'll be happy...

Doesn't GOG's version of Red Baron/Red Baron 3D work on newer OSes?  Their games already have DOSbox included and set up to run after a simple installer.

http://www.gog.com/game/red_baron_pack


I've debated picking it up for my laptop.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: xwormwood on December 07, 2013, 10:49:00 AM
Now that the 56th Squadron will fly again there are some new and very nice pictures from the bombing and strafing missions (even though they are still more or less demos about how the game might look like once it has been done):
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcinemawarewings.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F12%2FWingsBombing_1920x1080.jpg&hash=5cbd863c8322f428c131dfe253169510e78e3cd9)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcinemawarewings.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F12%2FWingsStrafing2_1920x1080.jpg&hash=1406f9ffca6e03915999d8f38ebb9df3977a48e4)

I'm really glad that they managed to collect enough pledges to re-start the engines. All I hope now is that they get some more, and later, once done, sell enough games to create an add-on or do more remastered versions of Games like Lords of the Rising Sun, Defender of the Crown, It came from the desert etc.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Gusington on December 07, 2013, 11:04:25 AM
A remake of Lords of the Rising Sun would be great.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: bob48 on December 07, 2013, 11:36:22 AM
^Bloody hell - Defenders of the Crown - I had forgotten about that. Now I can hear that crappy theme tune again!

na na nana, na na nana, nana nana nana, na na nana.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Gusington on December 07, 2013, 08:11:40 PM
Bawb...that tune rocks! 8-bit and all. Come on now.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: bob48 on December 08, 2013, 06:28:08 AM
^I bet you have it running around your head as well now :D
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Gusington on December 08, 2013, 05:00:51 PM
To be honest that tune has never left me! It appears randomly from time to time. I have a soft spot for Defender of the Crown.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 08, 2013, 05:01:51 PM
I'd love to see a remake of Sword of the Samurai.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Gusington on December 08, 2013, 08:12:05 PM
^Lords of the Rising Sun?
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 08, 2013, 08:53:49 PM
Quote from: Gusington on December 08, 2013, 08:12:05 PM
^Lords of the Rising Sun?

Nope, this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_of_the_Samurai_(video_game)

Sid Meier himself had a hand in this one.

You start out as a low-ranking samurai in service to a daimyo. Your goal is to become daimyo yourself, either by being the most respected samurai in his service when he retires/dies of natural causes, or by being the most respected samurai in his service when you murder him in his sleep (or in a duel). The path to that goal is quite enjoyable with a pretty straightforward angle as far as becoming honorable and currying favor (and even getting married and having kids - hopefully boys, because if you die in a duel or get caught trying to kill someone in the dead of the night, you'll need heirs to continue the game).

Once you become daimyo then the wargame side of things start, where you start conquering provinces and marshaling your army so you can become Shogun.

You can actually get a copy here:

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/sword-of-the-samurai-1us

If you have DosBox, that is. I've downloaded it but haven't had time to see if it works. Seems like most "abandonware" is 50/50 with me getting it to work.

And if that wasn't kosher to post that link, forum lords, please accept my apologies and delete it/let me know and I'll delete it.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Gusington on December 09, 2013, 08:14:14 AM
Cool game.

Back to OP Wings is now reaching some of its more modest stretch goals. Not too shabby for a campaign that failed on its first try.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Staggerwing on December 09, 2013, 08:23:05 AM
Did they try a KS once already? I know that the Red Baron KS crashed on take off and needs an overhaul to be airworthy. Didn't know that Wings was also a second-time-around.
Title: Re: Cinemaware: Wings - Remastered Edition back on Kickstarter
Post by: Gusington on December 09, 2013, 01:35:18 PM
Yeah from reading their info this was also a 2nd try.