Anyone else playing this? I've only played for a few minutes so far, but it's been really fun. If you like pirates or the age of sailing ships, this is a must get.
I am defintely buying this but want to get through AssCreed III first and wait for a price drop. Reviews for Black Flag have been excellent so far too.
Great endorsement. I didn't know it was out on the PC yet. Sounds like I'll have to give it a go.
Just released on steam last night.
The word on the street is that this is the best AC game yet. The islands are really beautiful and have to be seen to be believed.
Did you play III?
My son played though III on the 360 and bought IV for his laptop. I told him to check the specs first and he didn't. His processor is just a bit too small to run this game, and it's choppy as hell even with all of the options set to rock bottom. That said, it looked like it would be fun.
Quote from: Gusington on November 20, 2013, 08:35:28 AM
Did you play III?
Yes...I put about 4-6 hours into it. Can't say I totally loved it. The whole baby Indian thing kind of turned me off. Boring...I heard III doesn't really get good until at least 8 to 10 hours into it.
Yeah press was pretty unified in saying that the tutorial was about 9 hours too long for III...how is it for Black Flag?
Quote from: Gusington on November 20, 2013, 11:09:00 AM
Yeah press was pretty unified in saying that the tutorial was about 9 hours too long for III...how is it for Black Flag?
I don't know. I've only played a few minutes. But RPS says its shorter, although still long.
You've verified my suspicion that Black Flag is a must get. I've played AC2 and loved it. I have AC3 but it's on my backlog awaiting play. Now I gotta look for a Black Flag sale and get this too!
Quote from: Gusington on November 20, 2013, 08:27:58 AM
I am defintely buying this but want to get through AssCreed III first and wait for a price drop. Reviews for Black Flag have been excellent so far too.
Umm...hmmmm...Gus you might want to check your spelling there matey. You're opening yourself up for some funny innuendos. ;)
'AssCreed' is industry standard, and by that I mean RPS uses it so its good enough for me. Get your mind out of my AssCreed!
AssCreed says waht?
That old gag, eh...
Quote from: W8taminute on November 20, 2013, 11:21:12 AM
You've verified my suspicion that Black Flag is a must get. I've played AC2 and loved it. I have AC3 but it's on my backlog awaiting play. Now I gotta look for a Black Flag sale and get this too!
Quote from: Gusington on November 20, 2013, 08:27:58 AM
I am defintely buying this but want to get through AssCreed III first and wait for a price drop. Reviews for Black Flag have been excellent so far too.
Umm...hmmmm...Gus you might want to check your spelling there matey. You're opening yourself up for some funny innuendos. ;)
Yep. AC4 sounds fun (I read the RPS review). Let's see. I'm just starting Skyrim for the first time so I'll get AC4 in a couple of years.
Quote from: Gusington on November 20, 2013, 02:03:29 PM
That old gag, eh...
I'm afraid so but I'm as old as the gag unfortunately.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 20, 2013, 08:33:18 AM
The word on the street is that this is the best AC game yet. The islands are really beautiful and have to be seen to be believed.
Pirate... and... assassins... and Templars....
This may have to be the first AC game that I play.
wondering if I should wait till I get the x box 1 for my kids christmas or just get ac for pc now.
Is this still the estimated cause of Steam's slowness lately? Their store has been intermittently running like shit.
If it's running this slowly now, I fear their Christmas sale will shut the thing down for a week straight. ::)
Quote from: Nefaro on November 21, 2013, 04:41:12 PM
Is this still the estimated cause of Steam's slowness lately? Their store has been intermittently running like shit.
If it's running this slowly now, I fear their Christmas sale will shut the thing down for a week straight. ::)
It shut them down last year on Christmas Day. Hopefully they've learned their lesson.
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 21, 2013, 07:07:56 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 21, 2013, 04:41:12 PM
Is this still the estimated cause of Steam's slowness lately? Their store has been intermittently running like shit.
If it's running this slowly now, I fear their Christmas sale will shut the thing down for a week straight. ::)
It shut them down last year on Christmas Day. Hopefully they've learned their lesson.
Naaah. Steam. They don't learn lessons! :P
Every year, the first two days of the Christmas sale results in an unresponsive store. It still runs like crap through the whole season. I know they get hit pretty hard but with their massive customer base that's on every night, I'd expect their capacity to be higher. Seems like their bandwidth peaks around their nightly peak population and anything further starts resulting in craptastic speeds.
It really burns my ass knowing that they have artificially limited the download rates for at least one heavily sold game's patches. We can assume it's just because so many people own it that everyone downloading new patch releases at once would bring Steam to a screeching halt. :-\
There is little worse than burned ass.
Pretty stupid question, but, I've never played any games like this. It don't suppose it's two player, is it?
There are MP components to some of the games but they focus more on SP.
The reason I ask is that the (future) Wife LOVES pirates and plays games. I wanted to get this for her for Christmas, but, I know she would like me to play along with her. Is there enough there for me to get any enjoyment out of playing along with her? Or is this basically just a solo adventure?
That I don't know, I don't have Black Flag yet. The earlier games had MP but focused on SP.
Sorry to be obtuse, but MP in what manner? Seperate characters? Play on the same machine (PC, PS3, XBOX)? Or online?
I think coop, but I could be wrong.
Quote from: MetalDog on November 21, 2013, 09:19:26 PM
Sorry to be obtuse, but MP in what manner? Seperate characters? Play on the same machine (PC, PS3, XBOX)? Or online?
There is a very unique MP mode. Basically, players are tasked with assassinating a target, but you don't know if the target is AI, or another human player assassin with a target of his own.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 21, 2013, 09:39:42 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on November 21, 2013, 09:19:26 PM
Sorry to be obtuse, but MP in what manner? Seperate characters? Play on the same machine (PC, PS3, XBOX)? Or online?
There is a very unique MP mode. Basically, players are tasked with assassinating a target, but you don't know if the target is AI, or another human player assassin with a target of his own.
So you are playing together on the same machine? Or it's online?
Quote from: MetalDog on November 21, 2013, 09:41:23 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 21, 2013, 09:39:42 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on November 21, 2013, 09:19:26 PM
Sorry to be obtuse, but MP in what manner? Seperate characters? Play on the same machine (PC, PS3, XBOX)? Or online?
There is a very unique MP mode. Basically, players are tasked with assassinating a target, but you don't know if the target is AI, or another human player assassin with a target of his own.
So you are playing together on the same machine? Or it's online?
Online, dude. No split screen that I know of.
Saw some cool things in a game last night. As I was plying the seas in my stout little Brig on "loan" from the Spanish crown, I spied in the distance, through my looking glass, a random battle between Spanish and English Frigates. I could hear the cannon fire off in the distance and see the smoke and wreckage off in the horizon. Its random encounters between AI vessels like this that help make the Caribbean Seas feel alive in this game.
Once again, I highly recommend this title.
Sounds like the open world is great.
The game goes on sale this friday. I really want to take advantage of that sale but can't bring myself to face the crowds. Those observations you made last night really help sell this game imo. Atmosphere is just as important as gameplay for these kinds of games and it sounds like AssCreedIV* has it.
*See Gus, I learned how to use the nomenclature correctly! :)
Very good. When you type 'on sale' do you mean discounted?
^Yes. I forgot to mention that Best Buy and Target will have the console version discounted to 29.99 for just black friday.
Only at stores? No internet sale from those shops?
I just double checked the Best Buy deal. My bad it's 34.99 from Nov 28 to Nov 30. You can order it online and you get free delivery so if you'd rather not go to the physical store you can avoid that mess. :)
Just got Strategic Command WWI today...dammit