GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: WallysWorld on November 21, 2013, 01:13:10 PM

Title: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: WallysWorld on November 21, 2013, 01:13:10 PM
Johan Andersson of Paradox Interactive has revealed on the Paradox Forums that there will be plans to stop updating the Gamersgate version of Crusader Kings II and only the Steam edition will be updated.

The cited reasons are that it is taking too long to maintain the Gamersgate edition and they want to invest their resources elsewhere.

Johan has stated that all owners of the Gamersgate edition will be getting Steam keys for their DLC and game.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/crusader-kings-ii-to-halt-gamersgate-updates.87974/ (http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/crusader-kings-ii-to-halt-gamersgate-updates.87974/)
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Martok on November 21, 2013, 02:47:07 PM
Well bugger. 


I don't really blame Paradox for this move, and I'm relieved those of us who purchased CK2 on GG will at least get Steam keys, but I can't say I'm happy about it. 

Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Greybriar on November 21, 2013, 03:16:07 PM
It doesn't surprise me. Here's the link (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?736049-Crusader-Kings-II-Steam-and-GG-Versions-The-Future&p=16461366#post16461366) to the thread on the Paradox forums for those who want to get the information straight from the horse's mouth.
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Nefaro on November 21, 2013, 03:20:43 PM
I'm okay with this as long as all my DLC on Gamersgate gets Steam keys.  Mainly because the Steam version's install can be ran without Steam even on, and can supposedly be backed up directly to a disk.

One issue with this, however, is a previous problem rearing it's head.  I had actually bought some of the Gamersgate DLCs through the in-game 'store', with Blue Coins, and I don't recall it ever showing up on my games list on the Gamersgate site.  So I'll probably end up having to pull some teeth somewhere in this whole goddamn mess.   >:(
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Greybriar on November 21, 2013, 03:24:35 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 21, 2013, 03:20:43 PM
....One issue with this, however, is a previous problem rearing it's head.  I had actually bought one of the Gamersgate DLCs through the in-game 'store', with Blue Coins, and I don't recall it ever showing up on my games list on the Gamersgate site.  So I'll probably end up having to pull some teeth somewhere in this whole goddamn mess.   >:(

I did the same thing and when I tried to get the CK2 DLCs added to my GamersGate account, I was told "we know you bought them." Looks like the moment of truth is nearly here.
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Nefaro on November 21, 2013, 03:56:04 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on November 21, 2013, 03:24:35 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 21, 2013, 03:20:43 PM
....One issue with this, however, is a previous problem rearing it's head.  I had actually bought one of the Gamersgate DLCs through the in-game 'store', with Blue Coins, and I don't recall it ever showing up on my games list on the Gamersgate site.  So I'll probably end up having to pull some teeth somewhere in this whole goddamn mess.   >:(

I did the same thing and when I tried to get the CK2 DLCs added to my GamersGate account, I was told "we know you bought them." Looks like the moment of truth is nearly here.

Ahhh.  Well, I went ahead and submitted support inquiries with both GG and Pdox so they're getting a reminder.  ;)

I also already have a copy of CK2 and at least one DLC on Steam.  My faith in the Steam client not fvck!ng up has always been shaky so I'm also hoping there is no problems adding my long list of crap to it.  Notably so because I bought the CK2 "Collection" on Gamersgate, which also includes stuff I already have on Steam, but many extra DLCs that I don't.

::)
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Nefaro on November 21, 2013, 04:18:07 PM
Here is the odd reply from Gamersgate support, fast as usual:

Quote from: Gamersgate Support
The DLC purchased in the in-game store is not part of your GamersGate library and does not show up there. Only the DLC bought at GamersGate becomes part of your GamersGate library.

I can't imagine that Paradox would leave customers who bought in the in-game shop out in the cold though. I do not how how the intended transition to Steam is planned to work, or even if it's really going to take place (the announcement so far is that of a strong intention, but not yet a "we will definitely do this"), but I don't think that you will need to get your DLC registered in the GamersGate library in order to get it transferred to Steam.

So it sounds like the in-game store is pretty much Paradox' creation.   Will have to wait and see what my tech support post garners.
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Greybriar on November 22, 2013, 07:13:55 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 21, 2013, 04:18:07 PM
Here is the odd reply from Gamersgate support, fast as usual:

Quote from: Gamersgate Support
The DLC purchased in the in-game store is not part of your GamersGate library and does not show up there. Only the DLC bought at GamersGate becomes part of your GamersGate library.

I can't imagine that Paradox would leave customers who bought in the in-game shop out in the cold though. I do not how how the intended transition to Steam is planned to work, or even if it's really going to take place (the announcement so far is that of a strong intention, but not yet a "we will definitely do this"), but I don't think that you will need to get your DLC registered in the GamersGate library in order to get it transferred to Steam.

So it sounds like the in-game store is pretty much Paradox' creation.   Will have to wait and see what my tech support post garners.

The reply you received from GamersGate doesn't add up. How can the DLC purchased with Blue Coins from the ingame store not have been purchased from GamersGate?
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Nefaro on November 22, 2013, 04:07:26 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on November 22, 2013, 07:13:55 AM


The reply you received from GamersGate doesn't add up. How can the DLC purchased with Blue Coins from the ingame store not have been purchased from GamersGate?

Dunno.. I asked the support person what was up since we had to use our Gamersgate login to use the in-game store.  Of course, the in-game store was surely the sole creation of Paradox so they probably run it.
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Philippe on November 22, 2013, 04:47:39 PM
I note that you can use Blue Coins and buy Blue Coins at the In-game store, but buying things through the In-game store does not give you Blue Coins.

If this is correct (and I'm pretty sure it is), that would suggest the In-game store is Paradox's baby, and that's one of the things they seem to be getting sick of running.

A shame, because I'm an unreconstructed Luddite and don't want to get a Steam account.

Having said that, the latest hotfix patch (which just came out today in non-beta form) can be downloaded as a Gamersgate version at the Paradox website.

There's a problem with the music DLC -- I've figured out how to trick the system into letting me download it (it wouldn't let me download because it kept saying I already had it installed), but I don't have the patience at the moment to perform the tests needed to prove that it's also installed.  If I knew what to listen for I'd just play the appropriate part of the game -- but I don't know what's appropriate.
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Nefaro on November 22, 2013, 07:53:47 PM
While I plan on picking up the newest DLC, I'm gonna wait until all this hubbub is sorted. 

Firstly there's the issue with the in-game store DLC seemingly being purchased directly through Paradox, in some strange way, using our Gamersgate account logins but not having our actual purchases registered back with GG.  Then there's all the installation and bug issues I see regarding the GG version of the new DLC.  While Paradox has mage immense leaps in their releases' quality since CK2 first came out, this is the first time I'm seeing some pretty nasty stuff since then.  Makes me wonder if they put the GG version development further back on the burner already.  :o
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: PanzersEast on December 18, 2013, 11:05:07 AM
Looks like the Steam Keys are showing up in my account.... just FYI you may want to check.


PE
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Nefaro on December 18, 2013, 04:06:43 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on December 18, 2013, 11:05:07 AM
Looks like the Steam Keys are showing up in my account.... just FYI you may want to check.


PE

*Sigh*

Time to see if that whole in-game shop purchases not showing up has been addressed in some way. 

I really don't want to F with this right now.  >:(


EDIT:  Well.. it looks like they managed to add all the DLC I had picked up in-game with blue coins to my Gamersgate library.  There is so much that I'm not sure if it's all there but looking good thus far.

OH MY GOD the amount of serials to type in!!  :o
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Nefaro on December 18, 2013, 04:12:08 PM
And another complaint:


OH MY GOD how often do these developers have to update their Steam games?  Every time I log in there are a dozen updates downloading!   I don't even have many games installed on this machine right now.  Insanity!  Dogs & cats living together!

Between that and Gamersgate running like crap due to the sales, I may have to postpone this mess.   Good luck with yours!
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: PanzersEast on December 18, 2013, 04:14:33 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 18, 2013, 04:12:08 PM
And another complaint:


OH MY GOD how often do these developers have to update their Steam games?  Every time I log in there are a dozen updates downloading!   I don't even have many games installed on this machine right now.  Insanity!  Dogs & cats living together!

Between that and Gamersgate running like crap due to the sales, I may have to postpone this mess.   Good luck with yours!

Yea... then go try to find the patch notes to find out what has changed and if it affects your saved game....  Just wished it was a little easier to find the update information in Steam as I under stand updating the games, just want an easy way to see what is being updated (like apps in IOS).

PE
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Yskonyn on December 18, 2013, 04:28:10 PM
That stuff is usually found in the news when clicking on your game in your library or otherwise select the game and right click; select go to game community hub or something to that effect and patch noties are always there. At least for the paradox titles.
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Nefaro on December 18, 2013, 04:34:35 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on December 18, 2013, 04:28:10 PM
That stuff is usually found in the news when clicking on your game in your library or otherwise select the game and right click; select go to game community hub or something to that effect and patch noties are always there. At least for the paradox titles.

For Paradox, yeah.

Many of the other developers don't post anything on Steam about their nigh-daily updates.  I usually have to check the Steam forum to see if anyone found links to update info. 

There are always posts saying,  "WTF is this patch about?"  hahaa.
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Ubercat on December 18, 2013, 08:51:17 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 18, 2013, 04:06:43 PM
OH MY GOD the amount of serials to type in!!  :o

Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V are your friends.  :D
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Martok on December 19, 2013, 04:46:13 AM
Incidentally, I've gotta remember to grab Sons of Abraham pretty soon here.  I've been wanting to try it out for a while now. 




Quote from: Ubercat on December 18, 2013, 08:51:17 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 18, 2013, 04:06:43 PM
OH MY GOD the amount of serials to type in!!  :o

Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V are your friends.  :D
Exactly.  I have all my game serial numbers saved to a WordPad sheet for just that purpose -- much easier!   

Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Staggerwing on December 19, 2013, 06:29:54 AM
^For every downloaded game installer I make a folder and insert a .txt with the serial. Then, if there are patches or add ons I can add those to the folder along with the add on's serial in the .txt. Only problem is that after 10 years all my game archives are scattered across half a dozen salvaged HDDs in various storage boxes. I really need to get them uploaded to a cloud or onto an SSD or something before I lose several hundred $$ worth of games to a dropped shoebox or plastic crate.
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 19, 2013, 07:59:11 AM
Best tool I ever purchased was RoboForm for this and other purposes.....

1)  Has a notepad feature where you can create entries, perfect for centrally storing all my serial numbers/order numbers etc.  --  all in one spot

2)  Has a good web site password manager....great way to remember passwords/user ids for the tons of sites I visit

In order to ensure info is secure, built in encryption....have been using for years and have gotten my money's worth (pretty cheap).
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: bobarossa on December 19, 2013, 03:40:08 PM
Well, since I had already written off any further Paradox games due to them requiring Steam, now I guess I can give them a big FU for ruining this one.  I avoid games that require online activation like the plague they are.
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Darkspire on December 19, 2013, 03:44:16 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 19, 2013, 07:59:11 AM
Best tool I ever purchased was RoboForm for this and other purposes.....

That looks like an accident waiting to happen ... :o

Darkspire
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: PAK on December 20, 2013, 04:42:17 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 21, 2013, 03:20:43 PM
I'm okay with this as long as all my DLC on Gamersgate gets Steam keys.  Mainly because the Steam version's install can be ran without Steam even on, and can supposedly be backed up directly to a disk.


It is true, You can play Steam version CKII without launching the steam itself? Just like any game from the Gamersgate? Quite unexpected for a steam based game.
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Pinetree on December 20, 2013, 04:57:08 PM
There's quite a few games on Steam you can play without activating the client, usually the ones without steam achievements. I always create a shortcut to the game .exe from the steamapps folder.
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Nefaro on December 20, 2013, 09:49:58 PM
Quote from: PAK on December 20, 2013, 04:42:17 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 21, 2013, 03:20:43 PM
I'm okay with this as long as all my DLC on Gamersgate gets Steam keys.  Mainly because the Steam version's install can be ran without Steam even on, and can supposedly be backed up directly to a disk.


It is true, You can play Steam version CKII without launching the steam itself? Just like any game from the Gamersgate? Quite unexpected for a steam based game.

That has been the case with some of the older Paradox titles.  I'm not sure if it is with EU4 though. 
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: bobarossa on December 21, 2013, 10:20:03 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 20, 2013, 09:49:58 PM
Quote from: PAK on December 20, 2013, 04:42:17 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 21, 2013, 03:20:43 PM
I'm okay with this as long as all my DLC on Gamersgate gets Steam keys.  Mainly because the Steam version's install can be ran without Steam even on, and can supposedly be backed up directly to a disk.


It is true, You can play Steam version CKII without launching the steam itself? Just like any game from the Gamersgate? Quite unexpected for a steam based game.

That has been the case with some of the older Paradox titles.  I'm not sure if it is with EU4 though.
I'd really like to know if this is true (about backing up to disk and about EU4).  It's the only way I would be able to convince myself to buy something through Steam. 
Title: Re: Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...
Post by: Nefaro on December 21, 2013, 11:49:07 PM
I've not tried backing up the install file and copying it to a new computer yet, so I'm not sure.  I recall hearing that being possible, even from some Paradox imp.  :D