GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: MetalDog on November 22, 2013, 09:08:29 PM

Title: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: MetalDog on November 22, 2013, 09:08:29 PM
I love to play games.  And I love to have people to play them with.  Unfortunately, my online time is not the same as everyone elses.  So I thought I would start up a thread in Computer Wargaming in hopes that opponents can find one another.  It's what we are all here for anyways.  If it takes off, I hope one of the mods will sticky it.

The best time for me is weekend mornings in the Eastern Time Zone of the U.S.  If need be, I am willing to sacrifice a little sleep to accommodate an early start.  Forgot, should include I am GMT -6, I think.
Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: Ubercat on November 22, 2013, 09:39:30 PM
Weekday mornings are best for me, followed by nights after 8PM. I'm in the Eastern US timezone as well.

I have a bunch of great games on Vassal, as well Matrix World in Flames, which I am still learning.
Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 22, 2013, 10:59:32 PM
I'm in the Central Time Zone. I sometimes have evenings free (say 1700-on) but weekends tend to be better, depending on what the wife has planned of course.
Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: Kushan on November 22, 2013, 11:02:44 PM
Anytime on the weekends is best for me, followed by weekday nights after 6pm PST (-8 GMT).
Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: Martok on November 23, 2013, 03:33:38 AM
Assuming it's a work-night, midday is generally the best time for me to game (around 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. CST).  I get off work at 7 a.m., and the next few hours after that tend to be spent running errands, checking email/forums/etc., and making myself dinner. 

Not surprisingly, it's difficult for me to participate in MP games, regardless of which time zone the other player(s) is/are in. 

Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: undercovergeek on November 23, 2013, 05:16:35 AM
we need a chart or a table so we can see at a glance whos where and when
Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: republic on November 23, 2013, 06:59:18 AM
Great idea!  I agree we need a chart also.

I'm available generally 18:00-22:00 Central Standard Time GMT -6
Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: Barthheart on November 23, 2013, 08:40:49 AM
Eastern time zone here.

Most weekdays 7pm to 9pm
Most weekends 7am to 9am, 10pm to midnight
Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: LongBlade on November 23, 2013, 08:46:02 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 23, 2013, 05:16:35 AM
we need a chart or a table so we can see at a glance whos where and when

Done.

OK, here's the deal. Anyone with the link can see this. Anyone with the link can edit this. If you guys think it's being monkeyed with let me know and I'll dial back the access. Hopefully nobody gets on and drunk posts finding out the next morning we're all playing evenings on Jupiter Aquiferious Time or something.

However, if you think this is too open I'll change the security now. My hope was that you guys can simply add yourselves and adjust your times as you see fit, but I'm happy to reconsider based on popular demand.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuFUtoDXR5LedFV2TUdfLTNnTnhldU5oSU00Xy1HOGc&usp=sharing
Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: MetalDog on November 23, 2013, 09:21:37 AM
Thanks, LB!  Very awesome of you to do that!  Helpful, too :)
Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: undercovergeek on November 23, 2013, 09:38:31 AM
+1 thanks LB
Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 23, 2013, 09:39:59 AM
Just like a "who's available" white board...good work LB, thanks.
Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: W8taminute on November 23, 2013, 10:17:45 AM
Very nice LB thanks!  I hope you don't mind but I added a column for timezone. 

Maybe you could add 7 more columns like this:  Su M T W Th F Sa

In the cells below day of the week column header people could type in the times.  Last column can still be where people can list games or leave other comments.
Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: Martok on November 23, 2013, 11:42:06 AM
Good work LB; thanks!  Good idea, W8taminute.  :) 

Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: W8taminute on November 23, 2013, 12:01:17 PM
^Thanks Martok.

I modded the table a bit to show what I was thinking.  Need to come up with standard conventions for defining the times in number format so that I can generate a stacked bar chart off the data.
Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: LongBlade on November 23, 2013, 01:54:13 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on November 23, 2013, 10:17:45 AM
Very nice LB thanks!  I hope you don't mind but I added a column for timezone. 

Please feel free to improve. None of us is as smart as all of us  8)
Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: LongBlade on November 23, 2013, 01:57:55 PM
The only other consideration is whether to move this to the opponent finder forum or sticky it here. We do have a dedicated forum for finding opponents but the gaming forum gets far more traffic.

Or I could cross post in both.
Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: MetalDog on November 23, 2013, 07:00:27 PM
The traffic was my original intention for starting this in the Computer Wargaming section.  But cross posting is better :)
Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: MetalDog on November 27, 2013, 07:28:47 PM
Just a bump for the expected traffic of the four day holiday weekend.
Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: Yskonyn on November 28, 2013, 04:00:11 AM
My times vary a lot.
In between my variable schedule and tending to our little one I have to juggle all kinds of chores, social visits and what not to fit with some time to game. Of course I still have a BIG list of games I want to play, but time is getting more scarce by the day.
Still, I'd like to have some good MP matches.

One advantage to my schedule is that I can cater to many timezones. :)
Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: republic on November 28, 2013, 07:31:00 PM
I put my "available time" but more often than not...8pm rolls around and I go to bed lol  Dammit Jim is sleeping good but he's up at least once and never the same time.  Inevitably I wake up at 4 or 5am and decide to just stay up.  I get about 6 hours of consecutive sleep followed by a couple of hours of broken North Korean torture sleep...
Title: Re: What time is best for you to game?
Post by: W8taminute on December 03, 2013, 12:11:23 AM
^I remember the North Korean torture sleep only too well.  You'd be surprised how functional you can be if only you can get at least 4 hours of consecutive sleep!