GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: SgtRock on November 29, 2013, 02:02:33 PM

Title: GG's War in the East
Post by: SgtRock on November 29, 2013, 02:02:33 PM
There are some things I just don't understand in this game.

- How come German HQ's can be destroyed even by a small Partisan unit but you can't destroy a Soviet HQ, they only retreat when attacked?
- Odd HQ's don't even have a minimal defense value, who ever heard of a Army/Corp's HQ being destroy by Partisans ???
- Why don't you get replacements for destroyed German HQ's, even a company/battalion/etc. HQ would be rebuild in real life in short order if overrun/destroyed?
- Air Bases, when you attack an airbase with a ground unit it retreats but, you don't get credit for destroyed aircraft? Sure working planes would fly away but there are always some that can't fly or have to be destroyed.
- Seems odd there there are no troops based in cities anywhere in Germany/Poland/etc for defense.

Anyone know of a good way to help keep units in HQ range, I always seem to lose command and control (units out of HQ range) when playing Germany by turn 8 or 9?

I wish HQ's would stay highlighted when moving units under it's command so you can see how far you are moving from it's HQ.










Title: Re: GG's War in the East
Post by: ComradeP on November 30, 2013, 02:02:04 AM
Must be a new feature or bug of HQ's can be destroyed. German HQ's always automatically retreated when faced by enemy units.

Maybe partisan units spawning on top of HQ's kills them now.
Title: Re: GG's War in the East
Post by: Nefaro on November 30, 2013, 06:44:58 AM
I was debating picking this up on the sale but I'm not sure if I will ever get $53 worth of gaming time put into it. 

Hrmm.. maybe I'll just wait & see if they ever put it on a weekly deal in the future, for a bit less.  :-\
Title: Re: GG's War in the East
Post by: Tomlok on November 30, 2013, 09:05:59 AM
Hi

I read a few times that you can buy the German language version for under 5 euros and change the language easily to English

Thx
Title: Re: GG's War in the East
Post by: Grimnirsson on November 30, 2013, 09:34:24 AM
http://www.amazon.de/Gary-Grigsbys-War-East-German-Soviet/dp/B004S93TW0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385821641&sr=8-1&keywords=gary+grigsby+war+in+the+east (http://www.amazon.de/Gary-Grigsbys-War-East-German-Soviet/dp/B004S93TW0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385821641&sr=8-1&keywords=gary+grigsby+war+in+the+east)

Don't know if it's true you can change the language, but I wonder about patches and updates. I bought Storm in the Pacific in the German version (because it was much cheaper) and found out that Wasteland Interactive didn't support this version because the German publisher didn't give them their fair share of royalties. I got the English version of the game later though as a free download from WI - but since then I am skeptical when it comes to non-English language versions of strategy games...
Title: Re: GG's War in the East
Post by: ArizonaTank on November 30, 2013, 09:58:53 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 30, 2013, 06:44:58 AM
I was debating picking this up on the sale but I'm not sure if I will ever get $53 worth of gaming time put into it. 

Hrmm.. maybe I'll just wait & see if they ever put it on a weekly deal in the future, for a bit less.  :-\

If you like WWII hex based operational games (like TOAW), you really can't miss...and there is plenty of great gameplay IMHO.  The AI is not bad either.

The game has a few quirks, but it is the best East Front game out there. 
Title: Re: GG's War in the East
Post by: SgtRock on November 30, 2013, 10:46:22 AM
War in the East is the only east front game I've played that gives you ability to conduct true maneuver & encirclement warfare.
Title: Re: GG's War in the East
Post by: GJK on November 30, 2013, 10:53:24 AM
You get to do plenty of encirclements in This Game (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cloudworth.eastern_front&hl=en) and it's much cheaper.  :)
Title: Re: GG's War in the East
Post by: panzerde on November 30, 2013, 11:55:21 AM
Quote from: SgtRock on November 29, 2013, 02:02:33 PM
Anyone know of a good way to help keep units in HQ range, I always seem to lose command and control (units out of HQ range) when playing Germany by turn 8 or 9?

I wish HQ's would stay highlighted when moving units under it's command so you can see how far you are moving from it's HQ.

You might already be doing this, but SHIFT-Z turns on lines that show chain-of-command on the map for the selected unit.  If you have a maneuver unit selected you'll see a line linking back to the HQ unit.  If you select an HQ, it shows lines linking to all subordinates and to it's higher level HQ.  Any subordinates that are out of support range are bordered in red.

I agree on how good this game is.  I've only just started playing, and I had some of the same concerns Nefaro has, but this is the best strategic/operational level East Front game I've ever played.  I did a short AAR on my first scenario play through here: http://panzerde.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-blitzkrieg-bop-my-first-war-in-east.html (http://panzerde.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-blitzkrieg-bop-my-first-war-in-east.html)
Title: Re: GG's War in the East
Post by: Nefaro on November 30, 2013, 06:35:40 PM
Damn.  You girls are evil.

(Un)fortunately my Matrix Members Login isn't working, and I've preferred being logged into that before buying anything there lately.  So it'll give me some time to think about how many years it'll be before I actually start any of this sale software up.  :P
Title: Re: GG's War in the East
Post by: SgtRock on November 30, 2013, 07:36:18 PM
Quote from: GJK on November 30, 2013, 10:53:24 AM
You get to do plenty of encirclements in This Game (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cloudworth.eastern_front&hl=en) and it's much cheaper.  :)

That's not a game it's an App, it even says so!