GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: airboy on December 03, 2013, 03:29:09 PM

Title: How Desura Works????
Post by: airboy on December 03, 2013, 03:29:09 PM
I'm considering buying Dominions 4.  But I've never bought anything from Desura.

Do I need internet connection for single-player Dominions 4 after it is downloaded?
How annoying is the DRM system for Desura?

I have Dominions 3 on disk - and it is a joy to take on long trips on my laptop. 

Thanks in advance for those who can answer my question.
Title: Re: How Desura Works????
Post by: PanzersEast on December 03, 2013, 03:46:11 PM
Quote from: airboy on December 03, 2013, 03:29:09 PM
I'm considering buying Dominions 4.  But I've never bought anything from Desura.

Do I need internet connection for single-player Dominions 4 after it is downloaded?
How annoying is the DRM system for Desura?

I have Dominions 3 on disk - and it is a joy to take on long trips on my laptop. 

Thanks in advance for those who can answer my question.

It works much like STEAM, however with Desura you can download the full game without the client and play it thus you have two options of downloading and playing.  I normally just download the full game from a link and then update the game manually when needed.... have not installed the Desura client myself.



PE
Title: Re: How Desura Works????
Post by: Nefaro on December 03, 2013, 04:43:04 PM
Quote from: airboy on December 03, 2013, 03:29:09 PM
I'm considering buying Dominions 4.  But I've never bought anything from Desura.

Do I need internet connection for single-player Dominions 4 after it is downloaded?


No.  No internet connection required.  See below about the standalone installer.
Quote
How annoying is the DRM system for Desura?

There is no DRM at all, other than the serial key required to install your game.  No limited internet installs.  No need to run the Desura client program in order to play the game.  You can download a standalone installer through your login on the Desura website without ever having to install the Desura client.  Their client is there for those who want to use it - it is not forced on you.  8)

If you decide to use the Desura client, it will only notify you if there is an update available for your installed games and provide an 'update' button next to them on the list.  It doesn't force-update your shiz like Steam does. 

The biggest complaint I have about Desura is that navigating their website isn't always intuitive.  You gotta dig down a few links for certain stuff.. such as the serial keys to your games.  A minor issue once you know where to go, and a small price to pay to avoid some annoyances of Steam.
Title: Re: How Desura Works????
Post by: Philippe on December 03, 2013, 04:54:46 PM
FWIW, Gamersgate has Dominions 4 at the same price as Desura.

I don't know how Desura works, but if you buy something on GG you'll get a certain percentage of your purchase awarded to you as blue coins, which in effect means that you get a discount.  You don't get it in cash, but I've bought a lot of DLC for things like CKII with blue coins.

The one drawback to GG is that they aren't totally on top of things when it comes to updating games, but I tend to get my patches direct anyway.
Title: Re: How Desura Works????
Post by: airboy on December 03, 2013, 10:15:16 PM
I appreciate the insights.