GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Grim.Reaper on December 05, 2013, 05:59:43 PM

Title: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 05, 2013, 05:59:43 PM
Frozen Endzone......Interesting concept...may have to give this a try.  From the creators of Frozen Synapse....

http://www.frozenendzone.com/
Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: bbmike on December 05, 2013, 06:02:24 PM
I'd be happier if someone did a REAL football game kind of like OOTP but with great graphics.  :-\
Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 05, 2013, 06:05:26 PM
Quote from: bbmike on December 05, 2013, 06:02:24 PM
I'd be happier if someone did a REAL football game kind of like OOTP but with great graphics.  :-\

No argument there.....but for some reason seems like that will likely never happen....the biggest missed opportunity in my opinion.
Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: Steelgrave on December 05, 2013, 06:05:39 PM
Quote from: bbmike on December 05, 2013, 06:02:24 PM
I'd be happier if someone did a REAL football game kind of like OOTP but with great graphics.  :-\

+1 Absolutely!
Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 05, 2013, 06:25:15 PM
This looks like it might be fun. I like the turns running at the same time. And, looks like these robots catch passes a hell of a lot better than the players in Blood Bowl do.
Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: GJK on December 05, 2013, 07:06:24 PM
Looks like it's too easy to dump off a short pass with the way the turn starts.  Could of just been those couple of examples though.  I don't care for the boxes thing, I'd just like a traditional football field.  I'll keep an eye on it, who knows.

Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: Arctic Blast on December 05, 2013, 10:49:33 PM
Turn based Cyberball meets Frozen Synapse? I'll just be pre-ordering this now.
Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: Toonces on December 05, 2013, 11:13:18 PM
Call me crazy, but I do believe I'll be ordering as well.  Plus it comes with two copies!   8)
Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: CptHowdy on December 17, 2013, 02:55:48 PM
anyone jump on this? thoughts. thanks.
Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: PanzersEast on December 17, 2013, 03:03:38 PM
JA did a play through of it....






PE
Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: Bison on December 17, 2013, 03:07:50 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 05, 2013, 06:05:26 PM
Quote from: bbmike on December 05, 2013, 06:02:24 PM
I'd be happier if someone did a REAL football game kind of like OOTP but with great graphics.  :-\

No argument there.....but for some reason seems like that will likely never happen....the biggest missed opportunity in my opinion.

I wonder if part of the problem facing developers isn't the NFL, NFLPA and NCAA licensing.  I bet the NFL and NFLPA commands a damned hefty licensing fee to use real names, logos, etc...
Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: CptHowdy on December 17, 2013, 03:14:05 PM
Quote from: Bison on December 17, 2013, 03:07:50 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 05, 2013, 06:05:26 PM
Quote from: bbmike on December 05, 2013, 06:02:24 PM
I'd be happier if someone did a REAL football game kind of like OOTP but with great graphics.  :-\

No argument there.....but for some reason seems like that will likely never happen....the biggest missed opportunity in my opinion.

I wonder if part of the problem facing developers isn't the NFL, NFLPA and NCAA licensing.  I bet the NFL and NFLPA commands a damned hefty licensing fee to use real names, logos, etc...

there was just a court case where former college players sued the ncaa for using their likenesses or names in sports games such as the EA series of games. I also think that is why there wont be anymore ncaa2k games for basketball or football at least for the time being. it also doesn't help when those entities give exclusive rights to a company such as EA. killed any competition they had.
Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: Bison on December 17, 2013, 03:32:28 PM
Yeah that is true CPT Howdy.
Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: Nefaro on December 17, 2013, 05:03:37 PM
Quote from: CptHowdy on December 17, 2013, 03:14:05 PM
it also doesn't help when those entities give exclusive rights to a company such as EA. killed any competition they had.

I heartily agree.  Exclusivity is a nice way of saying "monopoly", and that doesn't turn out well for the consumer or innovation.   I recall finally trying the 2k series of NFL games on the console years ago.  It was the final one before EA freaked out and pulled their bullshit deal with the NFL.  After I tried out the 2k game, it was easy to see how much better the gameplay and AI was in it - obviously people at EA did too and pulled all the tricks they could to eliminate the competition.  It worked, unfortunately, and there was no trust-busting to rid us of being saddled with the underachiever.

Between that and the IP rights payoffs and courtroom wars, few people want to touch the stuff these days.  Especially after seeing how easily the competition gets shut out.  ::)
Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: Arctic Blast on December 17, 2013, 05:39:26 PM
Hey, blame the NFL. They're the only entity that could have given anyone exclusivity.

As for Frozen Endzone, I picked it up. I still have a second key if anyone's interested... ;D
Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: bbmike on December 17, 2013, 06:13:12 PM
Quote from: Bison on December 17, 2013, 03:07:50 PM
I wonder if part of the problem facing developers isn't the NFL, NFLPA and NCAA licensing.  I bet the NFL and NFLPA commands a damned hefty licensing fee to use real names, logos, etc...

Well, they could always just make up team names and logos the way OOTP does. Then a user will come along and mod the heck out of it.  ;)
Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: Toonces on December 17, 2013, 10:05:02 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on December 17, 2013, 05:39:26 PM

As for Frozen Endzone, I picked it up. I still have a second key if anyone's interested... ;D

Don't make me beg AB!   ;D
Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 18, 2013, 07:51:40 AM
Quote from: Toonces on December 17, 2013, 10:05:02 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on December 17, 2013, 05:39:26 PM

As for Frozen Endzone, I picked it up. I still have a second key if anyone's interested... ;D

Don't make me beg AB!   ;D

Blast! Missed it by that much!  ;)
Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: Arctic Blast on December 18, 2013, 06:14:13 PM
Quote from: Toonces on December 17, 2013, 10:05:02 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on December 17, 2013, 05:39:26 PM

As for Frozen Endzone, I picked it up. I still have a second key if anyone's interested... ;D

Don't make me beg AB!   ;D

PM sent. Go through the tutorial stuff, then we can try out a game.
Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: Arctic Blast on December 19, 2013, 05:13:46 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 18, 2013, 07:51:40 AM
Quote from: Toonces on December 17, 2013, 10:05:02 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on December 17, 2013, 05:39:26 PM

As for Frozen Endzone, I picked it up. I still have a second key if anyone's interested... ;D

Don't make me beg AB!   ;D

Blast! Missed it by that much!  ;)

Toonces is out. Couldn't handle it. Turned in his wings. So I have to do something I can't...I can't even believe. I have to give you your shot. The PM has been sent. Screw this up, and you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong.
Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 19, 2013, 05:16:03 PM
Yes, Sir.

As long as my RIO can come with me. He won't die, he's got a wife and kid and everything!
Title: Re: Interesting....Future Football?
Post by: Arctic Blast on December 19, 2013, 05:22:10 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 19, 2013, 05:16:03 PM
Yes, Sir.

As long as my RIO can come with me. He won't die, he's got a wife and kid and everything!

Then he truly is indestructible. Nothing can hurt him.