New Distant Worlds Shadows Public Beta :)
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3492264 (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3492264)
Darkspire
Version 1.9.0.12 – December 9th. 2013
Change History:
CRASH FIXES
Reduced chance of thread abort exceptions occurring
Fixed rare crash with freighters
Fixed crash when lock computer (Ctrl-Alt-Del) while playing DW (graphics device lost)
BUG FIXES
Fixed bug where some failed intercepted intelligence missions were not counting towards victory conditions
Fixed bug where characters were not being properly transferred to troop transports from Troops tab of Colonies screen
Fixed bug where pirate facilities would sometimes not be removed from colonies when pirate faction wiped out
Fixed bug where hyperdeny components not being used on bases defending against attack
Fixed bug where captured and gifted ships would sometimes be attacked when not an enemy
Fixed bug where invading troops disappear when planet bombarded to extinction
Fixed bug where defending troops dropped at rebelling colonies would sometimes join invaders if they were victorious (i.e. rebels or invaders conquered colony)
Fixed bug where troop generals participating in successful clearance attacks against pirate facilities at your colonies would get event history message indicating that the battle was lost, when it was actually won
Fixed bug where displayed cashflow was not including facility maintenance
Fixed bug where freighters would sometimes attempt to dock at mining stations that did not yet have docking bays
RESOURCES AND FREIGHTERS
Improved freighter resource transport network, especially for construction resource shortages
Added option to disable construction resource shortage messages
The random allotment of startup luxury resources at your colonies now exclude super-luxury resources (Loros Fruit, Zentabia Fluid, Korabbian Spice) (alleviates cashflow swings when these run out)
TROOPS AND INVASIONS
Fixed problems where troops were sometimes being recruited incorrectly (e.g. clone troops)
Improved garrison levels of troops at colonies, especially when empire is in low- or negative-cashflow situations
Colony populations now defend better against invasions - their defend strength has been doubled
FLEETS AND SHIPS
Improved fleet response to enemy threats in other systems (i.e. non-automated fleets follow their posture settings to engage enemies in other systems)
Fleets in battle now tolerate lower fuel levels (i.e will wait longer before refuelling)
Ensure that automated fleets load troops when space available
Changed ship behavior so that if already hyperjumping away (for whatever reason) then they will not reassign an Escape mission (i.e. they are already 'escaping')
Further improved boarding and capture so that ships and fighters no longer fire at a target once you already have overwhelming boarding parties onboard the target
Exploration ships now check for uninvestigated ruins or galaxy locations once they have explored the entire galaxy
DIFFICULTY LEVELS
Game difficulty has been increased on higher levels in the following ways:
More defending troops at colonies, especially larger colonies
Buying tech from other empires is more expensive for the player
Selling tech to other empires is less lucrative for the player
Relationship thresholds for buying tech from other empires is higher for player (i.e. other empire has to like you more)
Non-player empires build more exploration and construction ships when they are able
Overall difficulty factors have been increased (i.e. each difficulty setting above normal is now harder)
RESEARCH AND SHIP DESIGN
Ship Design editor now warns when Resort Base designs are missing passenger components or are too big to build
AI-designed spaceports and defensive bases now properly use area weapons when specified in design templates
Lessened chance of critical research success or failure for larger/longer research projects
GAME PERFORMANCE AND DISPLAY
Improved game performance, especially in late-game with large galaxies
Improved rendering performance, especially when zoomed out to sector- or galaxy-level
Improved appearance of stars in mainview
OTHER
Pirates now more careful about honoring protection arrangements
Improved willingness of passenger ships to perform tourism missions
Retrofit button in Ships and Bases screen now enabled for bases not at colonies
Thanks for the link Darkspire! Downloading now.
Great stuff !
Going to give this a whirl this afternoon.
Sweet! Thanks for the heads-up Darkspire. :)
I hate these "members only" downloads. I always have the biggest damn problem finding them. What is the point of having beta patches as "members only"? It is not like it means anything.
Time to jump back in.....
PE
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 10, 2013, 12:20:46 PM
I hate these "members only" downloads. I always have the biggest damn problem finding them. What is the point of having beta patches as "members only"? It is not like it means anything.
It does seem a bit silly and/or pointless, yeah. The only way I can think of that that would make any sense (and not much, at that) is it's an "incentive" to register with the forums, which improves their...bottom line...somehow...(increased visibility, perhaps)? I dunno.
(Incidentally, I was able to download the public beta here (http://www.matrixgames.com/members/privateDL.asp?gid=466). I don't know if that link will work for you, but give it a try and see.)
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 10, 2013, 12:20:46 PM
I hate these "members only" downloads. I always have the biggest damn problem finding them. What is the point of having beta patches as "members only"? It is not like it means anything.
In a recent post on the main forums the p****e subject was brought up, OP brought up how he got DW etc. I had a look from what he mentioned and the whole DW experience is available from one of those sites as far as I could tell from arms length, having members only downloads means you have to have DW and the expansions registered, which kind of stops the one eyed, wooden leg folk, well slows them down a bit, Elliot, Erik and Matrix have worked really hard to get DW to where it is today and IMHO any sort of safeguard (except DRM) is in order, its just the usual in regards blocking them makes things a little awkward for the legit users unfortunately, I would rather have a few minutes of head scratching and know that the revenue is going in the right direction though.
Darkspire
Quote from: Darkspire on December 10, 2013, 02:34:12 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 10, 2013, 12:20:46 PM
I hate these "members only" downloads. I always have the biggest damn problem finding them. What is the point of having beta patches as "members only"? It is not like it means anything.
In a recent post on the main forums the p****e subject was brought up, OP brought up how he got DW etc. I had a look from what he mentioned and the whole DW experience is available from one of those sites as far as I could tell from arms length, having members only downloads means you have to have DW and the expansions registered, which kind of stops the one eyed, wooden leg folk, well slows them down a bit, Elliot, Erik and Matrix have worked really hard to get DW to where it is today and IMHO any sort of safeguard (except DRM) is in order, its just the usual in regards blocking them makes things a little awkward for the legit users unfortunately, I would rather have a few minutes of head scratching and know that the revenue is going in the right direction though.
Darkspire
That is certainly a good reason. However, shouldn't all patches then be registered users only? Why just betas?
Quote
That is certainly a good reason. However, shouldn't all patches then be registered users only? Why just betas?
On there you need to have your game registered for the patches. You click on my games and it will bring up a list of your registered games and what is available for them. Personally I think it should be the same, through the members club only, I have only seen patches on The Patches Scrolls but I am sure if you look hard enough there are others floating about, just release the base game and then upgrades for registered users only IMO.
Darkspire
Matrix's members area is a convoluted mess of organization.
Quote from: Bison on December 11, 2013, 12:35:38 AM
Matrix's members area is a convoluted mess of organization.
Thank you! I guess that is my point when you cut down to it. I don't mind the concept of member only downloads, but don't make the downloads such a pain in the butt to find for the members.